Renovating My Hindustan Ambassador

HI,
HKS is correct of what i mentioned. I will get you some pictures of my car of the same Spring height.
Regarding the Fan and Grill setup, Since i have also installed the Electric Fan in front of the Condensor. I went with the Net type grill because of the Fittings problem.
If you try by installing the New grill it may become awkward in the side angles. As of my understanding, the Tinker will use Extense piece for the Grill. Kindly inform them, all angles need to be even after the Grill Fittings.

I think you have got the HM Electrical FAN. The RPM of this fan is bit slow compared to the Other Fans. I am searching for Fiat UNO Fan which have a good Range of RPM. HM Fan is also ok, but since i am not having any Cowl for the Front Mechanical Fan, as usual in low RPMs, i am facing the Over heating issues.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #62
Hi Ambylovers, regarding the leaf spring hieght i will decide after all the fitttings are done , as the additional weight might bring down the vehicle little bit. BTW the rear leaf spring assembly is not the original ambassador type.

The leaf spring assembly is of old Dodge type and the mounting brackets for this spring plate is already modified as the length of the main spring plate is bit more. So i can expect some comfortable suspension at the rear.

Regarding the grill fitting, my tinker is doing some modification on the grill. Actually we are purchasing one more front grill and extending the surrounding by 1 inch and send for electro plating.

Thread Starter #63
Ambylovers, the condensor fan which is fitted in my car is of Fiat Uno only, and it has got high RPM as you said. The noise of the fan will be more than the engine noise.

I have taken all the possible measures to keep the engine temperature at optimum level, as the car isgoing to live in chennai and especially during summer in chennai traffic, i dont want to imagine my engine getting boiled and swetting.

After the test drive only i will know about the over heating problems with A/C on.

Thread Starter #64
Sorry gentlemen for not posting any update for long time, as there is absolutely zero movement in work progress. My car went to koyas for upholstery work on 18th Nov, and untill now the work is not comleted.

Ther was some issue regarding the power window elctrical wire routing from the door pillar to the door, so the car went back to tinker workshop for making proper size hole to route the wire.

Never expected that renovating an old ambassador would be himalayan task

Hi Ambyson,
Today its bit more painfull to get the job done from the guys. They are too busy with latest models. And particularly, if we not there, then they never work up to the expectations.

Thread Starter #66
Hi guys, once again i am very sorry for not posting any updates of my renovating project. The car has finally come out of Koyas with a heavy bill of 60K, creating a small earthquake inside my head[cry]. Anyways, it took some time for me to become normal.

and now there is some engine oil leaking issue from the forward main bearing oil seal. so planning to replace the oil seal and also the timing belt even though it is in good condition. will update soon with latest pictures .

Hi Ambyson,

I really loved your posts.your Amby looks great. Even i have this dream of owning an Amby. I am saving some bucks to start a simillar project.

Also i wanted to know if we change the existing engine, body or other parts, is it leagel on roads or can we make it leagel ? because i am planning to buy an old amby (for asking price 45k) and modify it.

Hope i make a powerful mean machine out of it very soon [:)]

cheers to you and your amby [clap]

Thread Starter #68
Hi Vijaybarghav, welcome to TAI family and my best wishes for your dream project to become true.

First you have to do some intensive search for a good mechanic who is willing to work on Ambassador, it would be added advantage if you find a workshop near by your place as it will help you a lot for direct supervising.

The asking price is for which model Amby, diesel or petrol? And how is the condition?
If it is a diesel one and the body is not rusted , you can negotiate for a good deal.
I remind you to look for the body, because too much tinkering will cost you a bombshell and will take too much time.

Converting from petrol to diesel is not possible i believe, but i am not sure about AP govt regulations.Other than that you can do any modification to the car.
I am ready to share whatever knowledge i gained from the experience in renovating my Amby.

Hi bvijayRaghav,
Engine endorsements can be done legally if the Engine is bought New. You want to produce the Invoice of the Engine you bought.
At my point of view, as Ambyson said, Body need to be in good condition. Other than that all the work on car will be not that painful.
From Painting to Electricals to Seating etc., are manageable.

Hi Ambyson,
Koyas charges were bit more of what you quoted. Whether you have done any additional package (Like Music System/Light Setups etc.,)..
Kindly post some pictures of your car.

Thread Starter #72
Hi Ambylovers, koyas have revised their prices and in my case they charged 40k for upholstery alone and remaining 20k for some extra fittings. I will try to attache the bill fro koyas once i get it.

Regarding the latest photos, i am extremely sorry as my brother in law is very busy and no one could take pictures and send it to me. I will upload it as soon as i get the latest pics.

Guys, can any one suggest me about the maximum size tyre which can fit over the Gypsy wheel disc. The present tyre size is 195/65/15R from Bridgestone. i am planning to go for some 205 or 215/65/15R. is it possible to fix this size tyre. i need some ideas from our experts.
You have advantage on the ambassador that it has rolled gaurds already! I got my mate's dc2 integra's gaurd rolled for getting the 225r 18 on buddy club wheels

what is the gypsy's tyre measurements ?

am sure you can go around 20 points above its normal wheels.

i had 225R18s in fron and 245s at the back on same wheels. so just double check with the tyre fitters

Hi,
As of my understanding if we use this big profile tyres, the mudguards will surely have hits during some driving in some bad condition roads.
I have seen a car which got hits in the mudguard tops. So kindly check that before fittings were made.

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggetions. I was out of city and couldn`t reply.

Body is in good condition and doesn`t have too much tinkering.

only tinkering i have now is from my family [frustration] . They wanted me to take a new car first then start the project later.

@ambyson, I think i will bother you once i start the project [:)] . i am really hapyy to know about TAI and kudos all the people helping out here.

Top Bottom