Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 81,000+ Kms

Thread Starter #76
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi EX: 50,000 Kms Update

Yesterday, I failed to notice that Pics of Sitamma Temple are missing in my post / links given. Here they are:

In the first Pic, we can see "Sage Valmiki, Sitamma, Lava & Kush" just above the entrance.
IMG_20161101_104144.jpg

IMG_20161101_111717.jpg

The view from the Temple. Avani village is seen to the right middle.
IMG_20161101_111837.jpg

Back-to-Bangalore Rush:
Left avani around lunch time. Crossing the 1st toll gate was under 30 seconds. This Toll is just after a few km once you join the NH (from Avani). Toll rate is Rs 94 (or 96) for multiple entry (Let us see how much Govt loots us, at the same toll gate one year from now [cry]). I was driving around 80-ish speeds and in the left lane mostly and was enjoying a relaaaaaaaaaxed drive. But, I spent close to 10 minutes at the Toll-gate at Bangalore's East entry point (what's that location ??). Every Lane was choking with unrulyg drivers trying to show their smartness. I let two vegetable trucks driven by #@$&%Grrrr drivers, ahead of me. Remember "do not wrestle a Pig blah blah blah" ??

Restaurants near Kolar:
Woodys near Kolar was my earlier option for meals. NOT ANYMORE. Miayas Food-court, could be 3 to 5km before Woodys on the right side (as you are driving to Kolar). There is Adigas / Cafe Coffee Day just Opposite to Miayas Complex. BUT, the South Indian Lunch (Rs 170) at Miayas was simply delicious. My plate looked totally dry once I finished attacking food [lol]

Stupid Drivers - Same Old Story :
After crossing Kolar, as expected, trucks and some passenger cars were slowing down other vehicles. Frequently, a 50-ish vehicle was overtaking another 50-ish vehicle for ALL ETERNITY. Another set of drivers "align up to overtake but do not commit --- the 8086 processor in their mind takes a millennium to calculate the safe throttle pressure to achieve the maximum mileage of 50kpl by factoring in "the wind speed, road resistance, slope, rpm, load" etc. These drivers neither overtake nor give way Grrrrrr. This WAS irritating.

Got bored of ALL THESE DRAMA and decided to do my "run-away" act. Verna is very very good at this and loves it [;)]

Thread Starter #77
55,000 Kms Update

Hi Friends,

(A) New Milestone:
Car had crossed 55,000 km, on 22nd Dec 16, one day before completing 4th year. The Pic below:

55000 km.jpg

And the Car parked at an outside Parking Lot on 22nd. This Pic I copied from my Whatsapp sent folder. So image Quality is poor.
My Car.jpg

(B) 44 psi pressure ... Ohhhh my God
Later the day, when I went to top up Nitrogen, we found that ALL four tyres had pressure around 42 - 44 psi [surprise]

Last time I did the topping up was on 20-Nov-2016 at Pondicherry; and watched the Gauge to "beep" at 32 psi. Am having the following Qs:

1. Could the gauge at Pondy been THAT much poorly calibrated ???
  2. Or was it just Air and "Air and Nitrogen got mixed inside the tyres" ???
  3. After that I had one heck of a drive from Pondy to Chengalpattu (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...cherry-road-condition-route-2.html#post520209). If pressure was indeed 44psi, what damage it could have resulted in during that spirited drives ???
I'll recheck the pressure by 28th or 29th.

(C) Insurance:
Work pressure was way too much. Didn't have time to analyse options. Trident guys recommended "New India Assurance" this time and I went with that. IDV declared is 6.19 Lakhs and I paid Rs. 18,292/- Hope this is at par.

Poor calibration may result in +/- 3 PSI. In your case it was +12PSI. I suspect this was due to higher % air mixed with nitrogen. So as you were travelling tyre heated up and this heat cause thermal expansion of air causing increasing in pressure inside tyre. This might have caused slight increase in FE, but that increase in pressure also results in higher rate of tyre wear in comparison.

Thread Starter #79
Update on Tyre Pressure --- eased now :-)

Tyre pressure:
Checked Tyre pressure today; all were between 31.4 to 31.6 psi. 32psi to this value in 18 days is good news. Back to normal, it seems.

Battery ???
After a gap of 3 days, started the car today morning and the engine took 3 attempts to fire. Coming to think of it, the Battery is the Original that came with the car in Dec 2012. I feel 4 years is "time to change it". The battery guys around my residence are all lined up along the busy (and lousy) D'B'sandra-Vidyaranyapura stretch. Stopping car for checking will lead to unnecessary congestion. Any ideas, Friends ?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

get it check from some other place or go to the same market a little early. i change my battery 2 months back. ( lasted for 4 years and 9 months, less running )
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...9-000-kms-ownership-review-96.html#post518492

in my case the car started once only after 3 tries but it died when i wanted to go somewhere after 4 hours. battery guy told me 1 of the cell is dead so replaced it there and then.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #82

I checked the battery and the voltage is OK. Also, it comes to life on 1st crank now a days. But, I'm ready to change it on the next negative sign. I do hope that negative sign comes at my own parking [:D]

Also, the Tyre Pressure is holding good.

PS : @ krishna6239 and @ allhyundaicars.
Due to some strange reasons (definitely my error), yahoomail doesn't show instant notifications for my own threads. Checked the thread today and found your responses. Thanks for your responses.

Thread Starter #83
Battery Problem and Solution

The Battery threw the biggest problem (Refer Post # 79 above) my Verna faced yet.

On last Sunday, we went to Kanchipuram in TN. After the usual visits to other temples by 2 PM, we reached Ekambareswarar Temple (Link). The temple was closed and would open at 4PM. After parking inside the Temple's parking lot (fee was only Rs.10/-), I switched on the blowers and we all slept for an hour and half.

After the visit to temple, when I started, the car wouldn't start. All dash-board lights were coming but engine wouldn't crank. Tried to locate a Battery or Car Repair Service nearby, but could not ; Sunday effect. Then remembered Hyundai Roadside Assistance (RSA) and called them to send someone for jump-starting my car. They sent an sms (after about 30 minutes) stating that help would reach within next 120 minutes [cry] . Reason ??? Sunday; Local service stations closed; RSA guy was coming from Guindy-Chennai (80km away).

I spoke to a Taxi Driver outside Temple Car Park. With his help and others, we pushed the car; within 2-3 minutes, one of the Taxi Drivers managed to start the Car (ignition switched ON - using 2nd gear - release clutch when momentum is there - blah blah blah, but I didn't know THAT). I don't know if it is proper, but I politely offered them money for helping me, but, everyone of them refused to accept. My salutes to them.

I called the Chennai RSA guy to send him back and left Kanchi at 6PM. Hyundai RSA called to verify, if I actually canceled the request. Briefed them about what happened and asked them to suggest "pushing car" idea to those needy, if the waiting time is more. Though I stopped the car for Coffee breaks and Dinner, didn't switch it OFF, as a precaution. Drove it sedately and reached residence at 11:30 night.

For the past 4 days the car starts on the 1st crank. Showed it to a known Battery guy who said "Battery is OK". On hearing all these, a friend said, "instead of using 2nd gear, use Reverse Gear to gain speed with less manual effort, due to the ratio being better than 2nd gear". Is this true ???

These are the lessons I learnt :
No.1 : Don't drain the Battery for such a long time.
No.2 : When the Battery is discharged (not deep discharged), car can be started by pushing it. No need to wait for jump-starting.
No.3 : If car is pushed and started, engine can be switched off just after 20-30 minutes of driving. Almost all Taxi Drivers said this. I didn't do that and ended up eating next to my car at A2B Restaurant on Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch.

This is the lessons I did NOT learn :
No.1 : changing Battery at the 1st problem.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #84
Maha Shivarathri at family Deity Temple

My family Deity Temple is at Pungavarnattam, a small and calm village off the "Ettayapuram-Tuticorin Road" in TN. Maha Shivarathri Night is celebrated in a nice manner there. Though I am fortunate to visit the temple once or twice every year, I never had the opportunity to be at there on that night, ... until this year. This year, things started shaping up and I had a chance. Family loaded the car with luggage on Thursday, 23rd Feb morning and I went to office. In spite of the last Quarter pressure at office, my 2-day's leave got sanctioned at 3pm; not all PSU & Govt jobs are "take-it-for-granted" ones. Family met me at Office car-park and at 5pm, we started the 520km long journey.

1st Leg - 90km and 3 Hrs to A2B, Chinnar:
Bengaluru Traffic was at its usual. Spent 20 minutes to cross the last 500m JUST to get onto the Elevated Expressway :-( After crossing Hosur, halted at A2B for fuel. Original plan was to have Dinner at A2B Thopur, but, the traffic delay and the less than usual rush at A2B forced early dinner. Re-started at 8:30 pm.

2nd Leg - 140 km and 90 minutes to Salem:
Considering the time, I originally planned to drive around 90kph, in this leg. but, irritatingly this leg contained a large number of "Road-Chokers" with even truckers driving side-by-side at so on many places and blocking the way. When you have a strong diesel Engine and a car listening to you, "Chokers are left behind". An average speed of 94 was good. I exited Salem at 9:57pm.

3rd Leg - 290 km and 3.5 Hrs to Sivakasi:
Thanks to the time factor, the roads opened up after Salem, and I settled for a steady 100 kph. In my earlier Matiz, wife would always give company during late night drives. This Verna makes her relax and she fell asleep. With Daughter too sleeping, I was listening to "Mr.Suki Sivam's religious speech on Abhirami Andhadhi". Bought the Audio CD online, purely for this trip in mind. Rather than listening to songs, I've opted for such speeches of-late; it feels as if someone is talking to you. Maybe in last year, I was listening to Mr.Leoni's speeches while driving, and I had to stop 3 times for Coffee breaks. Occasional dashes to higher speed was necessary to pump up Adrenaline. When I stopped at my house at Sivakasi, it was 1:30 am on 24th. Eight and Half hours for 520 km and an average speed of little over 60 and FE was 21.6 kpl as per Display. Believe me, by 1:40am, I was asleep [:)]

4th Leg : on 24th Feb for 70km :
Time flies when one is with relatives, and it is a joy. Reached Pungavarnattam little before 6pm. After Dharshan at family Deity temple, went to another temple near a huge but empty lake outside the Village. As the Sun was setting it appeared rather big on the Horizon. Caught few pics on my Mobile.

101.jpg

102.jpg

A massive Peepul Tree just outside that temple. In my college days, used to hang around this tree a lot :-)
103.jpg

The temple festival went on throughout the night, but, I could not remain awake beyond 12:30 midnight; slept on the terrace of a newly constructed building by the temple management committee :-) Attended the morning Pooja at 3am. This pooja went on for nearly an hour. Then again slept. After Breakfast at Temple, left for Sivakasi. Hope I visit again next year. Note: The road from Ettayapuram to Kovilpatti is in horrible condition. It is been bad always, but the excuse of road widening made this road really poor. Babied the car over here.

On Saturday and Sunday had to do more travel to take care of some ... shopping [:D] . I think I did around 350 to 400 km off the NHs and the local FE was around 19 kpl.

The Return journey : 6 Hrs and 30 Mins :
The return leg to Bangalore started at 6pm on Sunday, the 26th Feb, had its own share of loooong calm drives, "run-away drives and the usual show-off drives around Thoppur Ghat section (near Salem) and over Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch. There were 1 stop for evening snacks, a Dinner break (at A2B Thoppur) and a Coffee break at A2B chinnar. 5 Hrs from start to A2B Chinnar matched the onward journy time. Bangalore Roads are sleepy after 11:30 night, and this helped me reach my home at 12:30am on 27th. The FE was 20.2 kpl and fun of driving Verna was great AND the satisfaction of having spent Maha Shivarathri at family Deity Temple was limitless. Good Night Team TAI.

Thread Starter #85
February fun with a Fortuner

Was going thro TSIVipul's http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ictures-transforming-fortunes.html#post530753 on the Fortuner with 2.7L Petrol engine. When I read, "it was impossible for the Fortuner 2.7 AT to overtake an enthusiastically driven VW Polo TDi even after we made numerous drag attempts, only after the speed of 120 kph was crossed, that Fortuner tried to get back into the game", I was smiling. I had a very long and funny account with a Fortuner, on 5th Feb 2017, during my trip reported at Post # 83, above. Was thinking of writing about it, but reserved THAT post for the Battery Problem (and got busy at office didn't write blah blah blah). So, here it comes.

Part-1:
That day, few kms after crossing Krishnagiri, a dark colored AP registered Fortuner went past me. Within next 90 km, I don't remember overtaking it, but, the same Fortuner went past me THRICE again :-) I was just curious to know, if the Fortuner was minding its way or playing with me. I decided to have some fun with the Big Bro. Matched Fortuner's speed, and childishly waited for a suitable curve. When a sweeping curve came, pushed Verna ahead of the Fortuner and kept going. After a few kms, dropped speed and waited for the Big Bro to appear in the IRVM. When I saw it, again went up in speed and again dropped speed. I think, now the Fortuner driver wanted to know, if I was playing with him. He slipped ahead of me in the Tollgate just before Vellore, and away went the Fortuner. I was grinning and my family didn't know why :-) BTW, the small family inside appeared to be in good health.

I stopped at Vellore (off the NH) for breakfast and got back on the NH. Within 5 kms, when the SAME Fortuner went past me ONCE AGAIN, I was laughing MAD. This time, I had to tell my family what happened over the past 100 kms and they were amused. But, 20 minutes later, when the same Fortuner went past, yet another time, believe me friends, I had to park the car to laugh out [lol] Later, I turned left off NH-48 as per my program. Had the Fortuner not went past me AGAIN that day, you wouldn't be reading this. But, it did !

Part-2:
After the Battery problem at Kanchi (Post #83), I joined the NH-48 for my return trip to BG and decided to stick to 90-100 kph speeds. But, the 4-lane NH was choked by a series of trucks moving at just 50 kph. In my over-cautious attitude, I was just following the truck on the right. Two cars came to my left and we all were following the trucks without any option. In the IRVM, I saw a "vehicle zipping its way ahead"; It came to my left and managed to get respect from the truckers and went past. My wife shouted "SAME CAR"; yes, YES and YESSSSS, it was the same dark colored AP registered Fortuner from the morning show !! Wife was very impressed with the coincidence on the return trip too; I too was !!!

Kms went past and as I was nearing Arcot, I saw severe Headlight Flashing on my IRVM, and gave way. The Same Fortuner YET AGAIN WENT PAST ME [evil] What's WRONG WITH HIM or ME ??? I switched to my normal driving style for the next 10-15 kms and the Fortuner was left behind; kept the speed little above 100 kph. Later, as I was sipping Coffee, I saw the Fortuner tearing the tarmac. Finished Coffee and ------ Grrrrrrrrrr ----- 20 minutes later I he went past me YET AGAIN. THE BRILLIANT ME quickly halted yet again for yet another Coffee, much in advance than the Fortuner fellow would anticipate. Ha Ha Ha.

He was more brilliant than me; before I crossed Vaniyambadai, the FORTUNER went past me yet again. He might have laughed HA HA HA ... I thought, "instead of halting, why not resume the morning race with the Big Bro ?" And Verna likes that. This time I went past the Fortuner and kept driving at censored speeds for 15-20 minutes. Fortuner was left behind for good. Perhaps, he got fed up of me ???

Friend in THAT Fortuner --- if you ever happen to read this post, this is what I want to tell you -------- thanks for taking my mind off THAT Battery Problem [cheers]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #86
Bangalore - Kumabakonam Road Condition

EXCELLENT Roads

Recently went to 9 Temples in and around Kumbakonam, over two days. This post is purely on the Road condition which was EXCELLENT (till 20 km before Kumbakonam). The total distance was around 980 km and mileage was little under 20 kpl.

"Bangalore to Salem" is the known and very good 4 lane NH. Salem to Oppiliappan Temple in Thirunageswaram is about 200km. Took the "Attur - Viruthachalam - Jayamkondan - T-Palur - Kumabakonam" route. Details below:

(1) Salem EXIT to JH79 junction : This is a 70km stretch, on the "Salem-Ulunderpet" 2-lane/4-lane NH 79 (earlier NH 68) till the diversion towards Viruthachalam / Chidambaram turn). This NH starts as a 4-lane and narrows to 2-lanes over short distances and then to 4 and then to 2 to four to 2 to 4 etc. Just watch out for the 2-lane/4-lane warning signs. Some drivers entering the 2-lane (and having missed to see the warning) might think that YOU ARE DRIVING WRONG. Better be cautious on these 2-lane stretches. Some drivers were angrily waving their hands at me [;)]. Within 2-3 km after leaving a Toll Booth, one can spot the Sign Board (to Chidambaram / Viruthachalam) on the LEFT and take left just before a Fly-over, Go below it, reach the junction and join the SH 532.

(2) NH 79 junction to Viruthachalam : Over the SH 532, this is about 55km long and a Single Carriage Dual lane road. This road IS IN PERFECT condition. The same road was in pathetic condition in Jan 2016 (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/12620-hyundai-fluidic-verna-1-6-crdi-ex-50-000-kms-update-4.html#post486691). Now I was able to maintain even 120 kph in this road (thanks to a Creta ahead) during the return trip that too after dark. But, be careful about Monkeys crossing the road occasionally.

(3) Viruthachalam - Jayamkondan - T.Palur : This, 50 km long stretch is a "Single Carriage Dual lane SH 140". Road continues to be very good. Maintaining 70-80 kph was so comfy here, in spite of trucks and local buses.

(4) T.Palur - Kumbakonam : This 20 km long SH is a "Single Carriage Dual lane SH" and is just above average. Watch out for mild potholes.

Roads around Kumbakonam were average". However, didn't find axle breaking potholes or mountainous speed breakers. Blessed by the almighty, enjoyed the trip to the core. If you want to visit, just 1 to 3 temples, this can be a single day trip.

PS 1: I posted this earlier. Will re-post. In Google Maps, type "Hotels in Kumbakonam". Go thro' the ratings and reviews and decide. We stayed at "Hotel Metro" (on Sarangapani Temple Street; first time for us there) and found it to be very good. Left the car in the Basement Parking and walked to the temples (in Kumbakonam) we had in mind. They were within 700m of the hotel.

PS 2: The original Battery is still going strong.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #87
Trip to Tuticorin and 60,000 km update

Hi Friends,
The car crossed 60,000 km on Sunday and on Monday the Odo was at 60606 km.

Odo at 60606 km.jpg

About Tuticorin Trip:

I had to attend a marriage at Tuticorin, TN on Sunday 28-May-2017, and booked tickets by bus as I had to be at office on Saturday. On Thursday I developed tooth-ache and was wondering how to attend the marriage. But, on Saturday morning the pain eased and the trip has to be on Verna. Summary of onward journey is:
1st Leg – 90km and 3Hs:10Min to A2B, Chinnar
2nd Leg – 140km and 2Hs to Salem
3rd Leg – 210km and 2Hs 30Min to A2B, Vadipatti
4th Leg – 170km and 2Hs to Tuticorin
4.A. Till 1st Break: 65km and 50 min
4.B. Thro 2nd break to Turicorin: 105 km at insane speeds

Bit more details:

Started the car at 1:27PM from my residence. It took 1 Hr and 50 Min to cross Shanti Nagar Bus stand which is approx 18km from my home. In spite of taking the elevated Tollway, it took 190 Min to reach A2B at Chinnar, for the regular Pit stop. Left A2B by 5 PM.

Traffic was thick and I resigned to driving sedately. It took 2 full hours to exit Salem by-pass (this took just 90 minutes in my Post # 84 in this thread).

Some 15km away from Salem, the traffic cleared. And I floored the throttle. This 3rd Leg was done pretty fast. At 9:30PM, we stopped at A2B, Vadipatti (little outside Madurai) for Dinner. BTW, I would say the seating arrangement in this A2B is the best I’ve seen in all A2Bs. We started again after 10:30PM.

I avoided the badly damaged “Madurai Ring Road” to NH 38 and drove towards Virudhunagar. At Kalligudi, where the sign says “Left to Kariyapatti” I took the left turn onto SH-154. Immediately I was greeted by an underpass below the Railway line, with poor approach and water-logging at the lower most portion --- all in complete darkness. As I knew this road, I was not fooled and drove on. After about 100-200 m, a nicely laid Tar Road, wide enough for two cars greeted us. I enjoyed driving through the sleepy villages in the backdrop of 4th or 5th day Moon light (meaning dark sky). My daughter, who was awake later said, this leg was the best part of the drive. 16km later we met the NH-38 to Tuticorin.

As the tooth-ache was growing in intensity, stopped immediately for tea. But, wife woke up, saw me taking the Pain-killer and snatched it from me, saying it might induce sleep. Time was 11:40PM and I wanted the pill. Reaching Tuti early was the only option to get the pain-killer.

In this last leg I stopped for a 2nd tea but got “tea-color-warm-water” (he promised it was tea). Yet, it was quite soothing. “Empty and almost STRAIGHT 4-lane NH, calm weather, my tooth-ache and stubborn Hi-Command” combination resulted in insane speeds. When I stopped outside the Hotel at Tuti, 105km was done in 45 minutes. Dashed inside the Hotel, checked in, popped in the Pill and slept like a Log.

Fuel efficiency observed was around 20 point something.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Return Journey:
Started from Tuti on 28th, after 3PM. Went to my Family Deity Temple and then went to Thirumangalam via SH-154 (same road as in Onward Journey). Offered prayers at the Shiva Temple there, and, by the time I exited the Toll Booth near Thirumangalam, it was 7 PM. Denied those pain killers, I kept the speed below 120 and mechanically drove on. The tooth-ache helped keep the concentration, but forced 4 to 5 tea stops (in addition to the mandatory Dinner-cum-Fuel stop). Reached Bangalore very late at 1:18 AM. Took the Pill and hit the Bed [:D]. Nice way to end a very good trip. Next thing I know was the morning alarm on Monday Morning.

Fuel efficiency observed was 19.4 kpl.

PS-1: Entering or leaving Bangalroe very late (or early morning) has a great advantage. I crossed Shanti Nagar bus stand at 12:59 AM and reached my home in 19 minutes. I could not believe it (as same 18km dist took 110 Min in Onward Journey). 6Hrs and 18Min for a distance of about 470 km.

PS-2: I saw men and women sitting on Dharna on the road near Corporation Circle with a heavy posse of Police Force deployed. Was not in the frame of mind to find out what it was. Couldn't find it in the news. I do hope, Govt has addressed their problems.

PS-3: Even now, a mild pain is there, but, NOT taking the pain-killers. If it continues for 2 more day, will visit the Dentist.

Thread Starter #88
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 60,000+ Kms Update

Two planned outstation trips did not happen and have not driven the car much in the past 40-60 days. Only regular Office Commute and mandatory drives inside B'lore city limits. Few such trips were on in wonderful BMTC City Buses.

At 60,918 km, sent the car for regular service today morning. Trident Yeswantpur sent a driver (with ID Card, DL etc) to my office, to pick up my car. He was polite and did the usual checcks on Car's interior and exterior, before driving it away.

They forgot to place their customary "Car-has-come-to-Service-Station" Call to me. I called and asked them to look into "Periodic Service aspects, Horn Pad (kabhi kabhi I am hearing a much muted Horn sound inside Cabin), Wheel Rotation, WB, WA, and regular cleaning etc". Car is expected today evening and they had gave an estimate of Rs.19,000/- for this 60,000 km service. Will update later.

PS-1:
I was told they had stopped water washing Cars, due to some Environmental regulation.It will be dry cleaned... dry cleaning Car... Me laughing [lol]

PS-2:
Almost forgot to add. The Battery (problem occurred on 05-Feb-2017) is still going great and have not changed it, yet. Not changing thro' A$$, either.

Thread Starter #89
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 60,000+ Kms Update

After the scheduled "60,000 km Service plus blah blah blah", Car was delivered at my home at 8 PM yesterday night. Bill was Rs. 19,602/-. I checked the 60K service cost with Hyundai Android App, and it threw up Rs 19K plus, so I didn't say anything furthur. A$$ had some problem in printing the Bill and are sending it by courier. Got a discount of Rs 500/- [frustration] and I paid Rs. 19,102/- thro' Credit Card. If I don't misplace the bill, I will post it here, for reference.

I was told the "Specific Gravity" in the battery was down. They adjusted and kept the battery for charging for 1.5 plus Hrs. Today morning when I started the car, I felt that the battery had more grunt than I am used to in the past 4 months. The cranking was instantaneous and cranking sound was much more purposeful. So, not changing battery now. Lemme see.

About the Horn Sound (I mentioned it in post # 88) :
INSIDE the Cabin, with all windows rolled up, I am used to hearing at least 20-25 % of my car's Horn Sound. It gave some assurance that a job was done. It was similar in my old Matiz too. I reported the "muted Horn Sound inside Cabin Problem" to A$$, and they have made it ... ... ... a FEATURE NOW [lol]. Sound inside Cabin is may be 5% of outside ... very much muted. Found it while coming to office. Morning I called the SA, and was told that it is supposed to be muted inside for the comfort and they had tuned the Horn etc. I am not liking the current sound level. Have to try in traffic to see if it is a plus or minus.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #90
To Kukke and Back in Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi EX after 61,000 Kms

Bangalore - Kukke : Two day's Trip

I was to have undertaken this road trip 8-9 years ago in my old Matiz, but did not, due to poor road conditions. Thanks to the inputs in the dedicated TAI thread (Link Here) on Kukke, went there on 16th and 17th july 2017. I found that the Shiradi Ghat section is NOT THAT BAD. You do NOT need an SUV / MUV / 4x4 etc to tackle the Shiradi Ghats. An M-800 or an Alto or a Nano will do. Read on and plan your next Trip to Kukke.

Leg-1 : Bangalore to Hasan; 187 km --- Extremely good to Good Roads. Nicely made 4 lane going thro’ beautiful landscapes. Some of the stretches are so smoothly laid, the road noise is almost non-existing. One has to travel, to believe it. I turned off AC and Music and listened to the mild “Zzzzzzz” road noise coming thro’. Yes, such good roads are possible, even in India. Great Job, team-NHAI.

Leg-2 : Hasan to Sakleshpur; 41 km --- Good Roads but with potholes. The potholes are not everywhere, but THEY ARE THERE. Most of them are mild. While some target your left tyres, watch out for those appearing smack in the middle of road. I saw one Ritz moving to left and coming too dangerously close to a 2W on its left.

Leg-3 : Sakleshpur to Gundya; 37 km --- This Good, Bad and Ugly stretch contains the infamous Shiradi Ghats. Roads are WIDE and you better MAKE time for this stretch … in ALL ASPECTS. Stop at appropriate places to enjoy the beauty of “cloud covered mountains / river below / mini waterfalls / tall and green trees / canopy of trees and what not”. That summarise the GOOD part. This segment contains lot many sections where “potholes filled with water” is very common. These potholes will force you to wonder “how deep THAT pothole is and what lies inside”. THESE were the BAD part. Then there are few segments, where, “there is NO road”. Out of four, some tyres could be inside Potholes and few could be on top of it. If traffic permits you have to go to the right lane. Sometimes, the poor guy imitating your above move (in the opposite direction) would end up perfectly in front of you. The “Gundya-Sakleshpur” direction has soooooooo many such excuses in the name of Roads. But luckily in small stretches. Keep crawling in the right gear. That sums up the UGLY part.

Leg– 4 : Gundya to Kukke; 21 km --- Wow wow wow. Almost the entire stretch was thro’ Canopy of Trees; mild fog (cloud) appeared and disappeared at regular intervals. Kept between 50 - 60 kph, to enjoy the view. Maintaining 80 kph is perfectly possible. But, I found that many drivers were unable to KEEP THEIR LANE AROUND CURVES, and were wildly swinging onto my path. Look ahead while approaching curves.

++++++++++ Pics SECTION ++++++++++

02.JPG

Luckily, the Bad/Ugly Roads are WIDE.

05.JPG

06.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

My Verna resting in the Parking lot of "Hotel Dwara" at Kukke.

12.JPG

13.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

++++++++++ TIPS SECTION ++++++++++

Tip-1: Cruising speeds : 60 - 80 kph are easier to spot those “How’s your tyre” type potholes in day light.

Tip-2: The Schedule : “Bangalore-Kukke-B’lore” is basically a one day trip. Start from B’lore by 4AM, reach Kukke. Take bath in “Kumaradhara River”, change in the dedicated Changing Rooms near the River, go and have Dharshan at Shree Subramanya Temple, visit Adi Subramanya Temple too and be done with other stuff by 3 PM. Start back to B’lore and better get over Leg 3 & 4, in BROAD DAY LIGHT.

Tip-3 : Tyre Shower : While driving thro rain, be prepared to be “temporarily blinded” when a passing vehicle sprays water all over your wind shied.

Tip-4: Stick to your lane, specially when the roads are good.

Tip-5: For your own safety, HONK a little before approaching blind curves. If you can’t hold the line, slow down. Otherwise, a truck passing by might just plant a dangerous kiss.

Tip-6 : Listen to you Engine sound and be on right gear. Up-shifting early will result in tired left hand.

Tip-7: Hotel Booking
Use Google Maps, go to the PLACE you want to visit. Search for say, "Hotels at Kukke". Locate Hotels within 2km, using the Ratings in Google and the Tariff. Provide the dates of Stay and look out for recommendation given by Google. Go to the site and book hotel from there. Generally, the tariffs are less than those in Hotel's own web site. For Dwara, best Room Tariff suggested by Google was thro' Expedia and I Booked thro' Expedia. For Vijay Comfort, Google recommended to book thro' Makemytrip.

Tip-8: Movement at Kukke
The AutoRicks charge Rs 30/- to drop your near Main Temple. Take them and avoid searching for a Parking space for your Car.

++++++++++ Concluding SECTION ++++++++++

1. We stayed at Hotel Dwara. It is a very decent place with AC rooms and very close to the River. We could take batch in the River twice. Ohhhh, it was cold, fresh and very good.
  2. The Service at Dwara was Class. The TV did not have "Vijay TV", and my Hi Command felt real Bad to miss the "Bigg Boss" ( I mentioned in TAI's Jokes thread about it). I asked the Reception Gentleman and within 10 minutes, it was made available at our Room TV. Hi Command appreciated me for once [lol]
  3. We had food at Dwara and also at "Vijay Comfort" next door. Vijay Comfort had more food varieties, better food and equally priced.
  4. I took my "OM Zuiko 28mm" Lens for this trip. The focus ring is buttery smooth and THAT precisely ruined most of my shots from the moving Car. My Sony NEX was hanging from my neck and was gently swinging, as the car swayed due to the potholes. As a result, the pre-set "hyper-focal setting" got affected. I should have taken my "Cannon FD 28 mm Lens" [frustration]
  5. Checked FE only in the Return Journey. At the end of the 58km long "Kukke - Sakleshpur" Ghat section, it was 14.8 kpl, but went up to 19.7 kpl, by the end of the 274 km long return trip.
  6. So, when are YOU planning that trip to Kukke ?

Last edited:

Top Bottom