Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 81,000+ Kms

Thread Starter #61
Advice needed on new set of tyres

Hi Friends
Car had crossed 50,000 km. Didn't have time for scheduled service. Thinking of doing it after changing tyres.

The stock Kumho Solus 185/65 R15 look and grip good. Could last for another 5,000 to 10,000 km. I'm thinking to change them. And I need advice from experts.

As I already used Bridgestone in my Matiz, I was earlier thinking of B250. But the cranky "why not new" feeling has come.

So I'm thinking of "Michelin Energy XM2 185/65 R15 88 H". This model came up after Googling from small Mobile screen. My basic requirements are Grip, Low Noise & Longivity. So here are my questions.

1. The Service Advisor asked me to stick to R15, due to Insurance issues. Is it correct ?
  2. What's your opinions on Bridgestone & Michelin ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi EX: 30,000 Kms Update

Just a small tip -
1.Check with suspension and shock health ,and change them if needed ,then change tyres ,as if a shock or suspension is in poor condition, the new tyre is prone to wear out.
2.Yes stick to stock profile always
3.Both are good brands,my choice is always MICHELIN.
But it depends on road conditions, to get michelin effect the ride needs long drives in good roads ,else the quality difference of bridgestone and michelin can't be judged.

Thread Starter #63

Just a small tip -
1.Check with suspension and shock health ,and change them if needed ,then change tyres ,as if a shock or suspension is in poor condition, the new tyre is prone to wear out.
2.Yes stick to stock profile always
3.Both are good brands,my choice is always MICHELIN.
But it depends on road conditions, to get michelin effect the ride needs long drives in good roads ,else the quality difference of bridgestone and michelin can't be judged.
Got it. I'll go for service first and change tyres then. That's a good idea, thanks Vishnu.

About the brands:
I go on long drives and also over pretty ROUGH roads; like Salem-Thiruvannamalai stretch and Salem-Chidambaram stretches. The Kumho tyres took these stretches without breaking a sweat. How would a set of Michelin's fare in such excuse for roads ? Any additional insights, please ?

PS: Yesterday evening my High Command found out about Kolanjiappar Temple in the outskirts of Virudhachalam. Sooooooo, got up early for a one day trip. Just for those interested, the link to the temple is
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolanjiappar_Temple

Last edited:

If bad roads are more in your trip,then Bridgestone will be enough rather than spending more amount for Michelin.
Heard from my tyre centre that both tyres have soft rubber ,but michelin a bit more softer.Thread wear is also same.The advantage comes in wet grip ,where Michelin slightly dominates up.
If you have only occasional long drives ,that too in Mixed road conditions,then Bridgestone will be good.

This is just my view .

Thread Starter #65
The GREAT Escape - Front left tyre BURST

Intro :
Went to Kulanjipar Temple as planned & then had an unplanned visit to Navaladiyan Temple in Mohanur (near Namakal near Salem). The entire journey was done around 80 kph except for occasional rise to 120.

While returning from Namakal, as I joined the 4 lane after 8pm, started feeling a mild kud-kud sound coming from car. A quick inspection revealed nothing. All tyres were fine & nothing loose. As I drove on started realizing the PULL TO LEFT. Also, the volume of kud-kud increased, if speed went up. One again rechecked ; nothing visibly bad. Dropped speed and drove on. Stopped at Thopur A2B for dinner and checked tyre pressure. 3 tyres were at 32 & rear right was at 31 psi. Nothing unusual.

But, found EXCESS TYRE WEAR on the front left. It was 9:40pm and with 180 odd km to cover, decided to drive on. Avoided ALL drama on the hectic Krishnagiri-Bangalore stretch and dropped speed to 40-50 kph. Finally reached Bangalore and reached New BEL Road at 12:35 am; within 7-8 km of home.

I slowed to climb a Road Bump. At 10kph, the front left tyre BURST. Just opposite to CPRI Colony. On a fully lit road section. Gods were working over time to save me and my family. It could have happened ANYWHERE when I was surrounded by trucks. Trouble was due to wheel alignment problem, I guess.

Parked it safely in the side, changed tyre and reached home safely.

Will upload the tyre picture later.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #66
Photo of the BURST tyre

Some pictures of the BURST tyre (in Red collage) and other four tyres (in Green collage).

See how bad the BURST tyre got worn out compared to other four tyres.

Today, drove for about 100m with hands off the Steering and the car went ... ... ... Straight. Me confused. BTW, taking car for Scheduled service tomorrow. Will see the results of Wheel alignment.

Attachments

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi EX: 50,000 Kms Update

That tyre didn't have any tread left. Shouldn't have used the tyre for so long. Get it changed around 40k and 45k max.
The other tyres too are not in good condition. Change them asap. Try yokohama earth1.

Thread Starter #68

(A) Service at 51,000+ km:

Got the car serviced on 21st July from Trident Yeswantpur. Charges were around 12750/- (7643 for material & 5105 for Lbr). This included WA & WB (as a result of the tyre burst), interior cleaning (Rs 1800), Door Visors for Rs 1200 (to replace the two at the back which had fallen earlier). If you leave these, then the service cost was Rs. 9748/-. That is OK for me.

For me, the main agenda on that day was to know, why that tyre burst happened. Some pothole or a section of bad road hit the alignment for a sixer on that fateful day and that resulted in the burst out. I insisted the SA (Mr. Arvind) to start with WA & WB and he obliged. They spent decent time to bring it back on track.

Service guys felt that the Kumho's have another 5 to 10K km life in them. After service, I visited a tyre shop in Yeswantpur area. They felt the tyres have at least 2 to 5K km life left in them.

Confused, I consulted a colleague who is an Auto expert / enthusiast. He asked me to keep the existing tyres for another 500 km to see if the WA is holding good, before investing in brand new tyres. This seemed logical for me and I am continuing with the Kumho tyres.

Not driven much after service, but the alignment is holding good. No pulling to left or right.

---------------------

(B) Hyundai's "Road Side Assitance (RSA)" deal:

A 24x7 assistance for Problems like "Tyre [;)], Key, Fuel, Battery", Vehicle Recovery was offered that day. I took the 3 year package for Rs 2,046/- . I know, I know, this was a knee-jerk reaction after the tyre burst.

---------------------

The next post will be on tyre buying advice. I'll go check the RIM specs on my 15: wheel.

Thread Starter #70

Mr.Vijay
Can you explain more on RSA package?
This Hyundai Road Side Assistance scheme is applicable for all Hyundai cars post warranty. I am attaching a pdf file and I hope it helps. The 2nd page has the details. It looks groovy

View attachment HRSA.pdf

BTW, one of my senior colleagues has a 2 year old Sail Petrol Sedan (I pushed him away from Dzire). He also opted for similar service from Chevy. The same Sunday my tyre burst, his car wouldn't start when he was some 180km away from Bengaluru. Chevy guys came, towed (free) to a Service Stn, blah blah blah (yeah yeah, I was not listening) and the bill to repair was less than ... ... ... ... Rs 500/- (I listened at this point) [clap]

Who said, Chevvy service is bad.

Thread Starter #71
Humming Sound coming from the car's under-body

I changed my tyres on 19-Aug-2016 when the Odo was around 51,300 something. Link is at (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ion-mess-hyundai-verna-2012-a.html#post510692). Review of tyres can be seen here (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-earth-1-fluidic-verna-2012-a.html#post511242).

This is VERY unique and is happening since the recent Demolition Drive by BBMP in the Dodda Bommasandra area. I noticed a low volume sound made by saying mmmmmmm with lips closed coming from the car's under-body with the Kumhos earlier, in this stretch (https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/13.0599086,77.5587665/13.0645281,77.5594317/@13.0627827,77.5606333,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e3).

The first time it happened, I was startled, stopped the car to see if the Kumhos "bid adieu". Tyres were OK and nothing was struck below car.

Speeds at less than 25 kph & at around 1000 RPM is possible here and the sound is heard ONLY in this stretch. Whether clutch is depressed or throttle is depressed does not matter. Whether car goes up or down the stretch, it is all the same. It is not along the full stretch; it is intermittent. Same sound is heard with the Yokos too. Hyundai A$$ checked the under-body on 22nd and said everything is OK. My friends in this area are not hearing any such sound [confused]

MY REASONING:
The "demolition drive" by BBMP to the WEST of the stretch left lot many structures down, pretty close to the raod. Sound due to the motion of car could be traveling along the ground and getting reverberated in this stretch. This scientific explanation seems to fit the bill.

WHAT MY FAMILY SAY: They have taken a more emotional approach ... the broken structures are crying to us. I feel sad for the people who lost their property here [cry]

Last edited:

Check your car's wheel bearing. I had similar issue with my Swift and Verna which makes noise on particular stretch of roads. Later found issues with bearings and had to replace.

Thread Starter #73

Check your car's wheel bearing. I had similar issue with my Swift and Verna which makes noise on particular stretch of roads. Later found issues with bearings and had to replace.
Thanks. This is not the issue. It was checked and found to be OK on 22nd Aug, at A$$ when they removed all four tyres to check the threading on wheel Bolts (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ion-mess-hyundai-verna-2012-a.html#post511124). I didn't write about this sound at that time, because I was not sure of the reason; took me some time to put things together.

Where the sound comes, the stretch of road is perfectly smooth and free of potholes (as of now). Smooth means smoooooooth. The demolition was on the backside of most shops, leaving about 5 ft to 15 ft of the structures' front portion (towards the road) intact. Many shop keeper / owners have vacated. Some people have covered the backside with plywood (I guess) and some have not covered. Where back is not covered, one can see debris at site. Whenever car passes such open shops, I'm hearing the sound.

It is not heard at other locations in the same road or in any other road. Just THAT particular stretch is different. That's why I felt intrigued and shared my experience here.

Nevertheless, I'll ask A$$ guys to check the bearings again. Nothing wrong in doing it.

Thread Starter #74
BLR-Kanchipuram-Chennai-Kanchipuram-BLR : 53,100+ km update

Monkey Business:
After a long gap since the Yokos were fitted, last Sunday & Monday, I had the opportunity to test the Yokos on the BLR-Chennai-BLR trip. A key incidence is posted at the link here (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...arth-1-fluidic-verna-2012-a-2.html#post516126). "At 40 kmph, an object covers 33 feet per second" and I was well over triple that speed. The monkeys were 30-40 ft away. With a finger on Horn Pad, I slammed the breaks, felt ABS kicking in and steered to the left and SAFELY drove around the group of primates. The fact that there were no vehicles in that area helped a lot. Funny, how people with less experience / knowledge, keep complaining about Verna's handling. The Yokos too earned my appreciation.

Figo Trouble:
May be an hour and half later, a Figo was taking a wide right hander, sticking to the inner lane. As there were vehicles on the outer lane, I took the middle lane. As I was a car's length behind, the Figo started driftingtowards the middle lane, with Left tyres firmly eating into atleat two feet of middle lane !!! My honking did not deter the Figo driver (he could have corrected the direction or slowed) and he kept coming in front of me. I don't know, why people could NOT drive within a lane; may be lack of discipline and "Mera Baap Ka Road" attitude. I slowed down, exited the curve and then passed the Figo. The Yokos and Verna behaved properly and maintained the line.

The U-turn Menace:
The Sunday travel included visits to "Nemili, Thiruthani and Kanchipuram". The roads are single carriage SH, with mandatory potholes. Only problem was with the drivers. The smaller vehicles in particular made sudden U-turns, whenever they saw "20 feet gap between me and them (Grrrrrrr)". My wife commented, "after seeing our car, they are doing this. WHY?". "May be Verna didn't appear to be fast, I said. But, overall I felt that the guys on bicycle/TVS50 decided to upgrade to a Bullet at my cost [surprise]. The Yokos worked nicely in tandem with the breaks.

Kanchi to Chennai:
I left Kanchi at 5:45pm. Kanchi-Chennai road is notorious for potholes, hectic 2W drivers and slow moving Trucks. Hence, I planned to take it slow. Apart from these, drivers in double mind (to overtake or not) delay the progress. Within 10 minutes I found a Ford Endy going past me clearing the traffic. I took the offer and joined the party. We never went above 100 kph in this stretch and reached Chennai outskirts in good time. Thanks to the Endy.

Poonamallee High Road: As I had to go to Nandambakkam, in Chennai, took this road. Madness is the apt word to describe traffic. While moving, if I had left some breaking distance ahead, some 2W driver would poke his front tyre there, forcing me to apply break. It did not matter if he was solo or with his family; almost 70% bikers were actually diving in front of my car. Same story with Autorick or a shared auto. None gets bothered by the sound of a Horn. "No helmet, driving on the right lane, triples or more, blocking the car lengthwise and what NOT" !!! CAR DRIVERS IN CHENNAI and driving in THIS road ... take a bow friends. You guys are immensely cool headed. Finally by 7:15pm, we reached the destination in Chennai.

Wet Grip: While approaching Vellore, rains started and lasted for perhaps 15 minutes or so. Kept speed at 80 kph and felt the Yokos hugging the wet road even around the curves. But, then, I never had problem with my earlier Kumhos or the Bridgstones in my old Matiz at 80-ish and 70-ish speeds respectively. Bottom-line is to drop speed to 40-50 kph (in SHs) 60-80 kph (in 4 Lanes) during rains, depending on the familiarity of road, road condition and type of vehicle.

From Service Road onto NH: Just as we passed Vellore, a Swift was adamant to go to the fast lane straight from the Service lane !!! He kept aiming for the fast lane in-spite of my flashing headlights. I positioned my foot for the breaks but neither applied it nor changed my direction. He veered off to left very late. From the Service lane (or parked state), I always take time when joining ANY road. It is gentle acceleration on the left lane and/or correct speed so as NOT to SLOW down others coming from behind. This is what I learnt. Why many pathetic excuse of a drivers cannot follow these simple and effective rules ?!!

Return Journey: Totally calm and relaxed drive till back home. Mostly driven at 80-90 kph on the left or middle lanes with occasional overtaking runs. Max speed was 160 kph for about 10 minutes to safely run away from bottleneck creators.

Misc:

• Saw an Alto and Kwid competing. As their speeds matched mine, I was enjoying their race closely from behind, from Krishnagiri to BLR. Mostly, the Kwid was leading the Alto.
  • Saw a white Tiago doing a brisk run inside BLR City limits. With sooooo much reserve power in Verna (4th gear is the key, in late night traffic), lurching ahead and disappearing is easy and fun. But, the Tiago kept catching up.
  • As I returned one day earlier, ALL the Toll-Booths were almost traffic-free
  • BLR-Chennai route registered an FE of 21.5 kmpl (Sunday)
  • Chennai-BLR route registered an FE of 20.7 kmpl (Monday).

Thread Starter #75
A Short trip to Avani Hills

Yesterday was a declared Holiday in Bangalore (Kannada Rajyotsava - Karnataka Formation Day). After idling for Diwali, went out on a short trip (About 100 + 100 km) to pray at Sita Devi Temple at Avani Hills.

This could be my 3rd or 4th trip. Avani is between Kolar and Mulbagal. From ITI, Bangalore the route is given here. Once you turn right from the NH, the road has plenty of pot-holes, all the way to Avani. Better start babying-the-car. The car can go all the way till Ramalingeshwara Temple at the foothill. My earlier trips to Avani were done in the afternoon times. To avoid the the after-Diwali-return-to-Bangalore-rush, I decided to go in the morning and come back comfortably.

Why THIS Post: "Would the Temple-on-top-of-Hill be open in the morning" was my concern and I couldn't get info from Uncle Google. Hence, this post.

Info:

1. The temple remains open from morning about 9:30 or 10 till 5 to 6 PM.
  2. House of the Temple Pujari (Archaka) is next to the small post office (on the street just to the left of Ramalingeshwara Temple). Better check with them before you start the climb.
  3. Car can go in this street, and at the end take a left turn on the cemented path all the way to the stairs leading to Sitamma Temple. Car can be parked in this cement road. This TAI Pic (from 2013) shows THAT cement road and the Ramalingeshwara Temple Complex in the background.
  4. To reach Avani early, we skipped all those good restaurants en route. We ended up having break-fast at Avani itself. If you walk right at the end of the street (mentioned above, instead of left to THAT cement road to the hills), there is a tiny eatery attached to a small shop-cum-house. Ask people, and they will show the house. We ordered Dosa and Idly (what else ?), and taste reminded me of all those idly dosa I had at my relatives's houses --- meaning it was good. Cost ??? Rs 10/- per item.
That's all now for now. Will update about the "traffic-while-returning" later.

Top Bottom