Volkswagen Vento Tyre Upgrade

Hi,

Can anyone share experience of Michelin XM2 (stock size or upgrade), stock Apollo's have clocked 37 k , so thinking of replacing them.

Thread Starter #62
I think I might replace the tyres of Vento soon as it has run 56000 Kms on Michelin Primacy 3ST.Which one is best?Tyre size preferred is 195/60R15 or 205/55R15 only.

checkout BF good rich advantage touring 195 60r/15. heard a lot of postives from the dealer. BF is a subsidary of Michelin so should be easily available at a michelin dealer

when you upgrade the comfort level comes down ( my personal experience ). i had upgraded to 195/60 R15 mrf zlo. the jerks are more felt inside after the upgrade. the mileage has also come down.
Comfort level increases with the 'upgraded' tyres. In your case, you didn't upgraded but only 'upsized'
MRFzlo is a basic rubber. 105 BHP & 250 Nm are too much for them to handle.

Upgrading tyres means upgrading rubber quality & features some times it includes upsizing too. But upsizing doesn't necessarily include upgrade.

[an anyone share experience of Michelin XM2 (stock size or upgrade), stock Apollo's have clocked 37 k , so thinking of replacing them.
@ssrodie, any updates?

Last edited:
Not many people love tyres.
I love only 3 things on a car.

Looks
Engine
Tyres
Dear Mayank,
Your passion and attention to details about tyre is understood from your post. Glad I stumbled upon your post as my car, Vento TSI Automatic 2017(currently in stock Good year DP series in 185 60 R15 done 42000) is getting ready for tyre change. As you mentioned I understand the mistake of not choosing a good quality tyres for a potent car and its time to change that. I have been researching on tyres for the last two years and is self taught in this topic. I have few queries related to tyres which can be easily answerd by some one like you.

1. I am not an aggressive driver, nor a sedate one. I love my car and respect all other fellow beings on the road. Roads in Kerala are not consistent, some being good surfaced, bumpy, wet slippery, narrow, winding etc. I wish a balanced ride, with good comfort decent/ good grip , low noise on these situation.
2. I am keen on Michelins, Continental, Yokohama
3.Tyre Size- 185 60 r15 (is the stock size and is the my primary preference, but limited models like XM2+, CC6, Bluearth GT etc are available) or going with the 195 60 r15 ( advantages i guess is more cushior and slight increase in ride height and more premium offerings( P4st, conti UC6,etc are available- cons being heavier steering (may not be the case for all tyres) (already VW steerings are heavy on city speeds) suspected dip in fuel efficiency (please correct me if I am wrong)
4. Cost is not a decider for me
5. tyre looks though fine can be outweighed by the quality it offers.

Please suggest me a good set of tyre (out of listed models and sizes) for my needs as mentioned above.

Thank you in advance[:)].

PS. This is my first post in AMI, Pardon me if its posted in the worng thread.

If it is addressed to Mayank sir alone, this is the right thread, or else this needs to be moved to Tyres-related thread @altoster, sir.

My suggestion is XM2+/Continental (I am also in the hunt for 185/65/R15, in Tvm). Most likely to go with Continental, as getting great reviews from many enthusiast friends. Hence, thought of trying the brand. Michelins are always a benchmark.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Dear Mayank,
I wish a balanced ride, with good comfort decent/ good grip , low noise on these situation.
Best tyre would be Michelin, no comparison with any brand. I understand that they may be difficult to get hands on, so
Second best
would be Continental. They claim in their site that the ContiSilent™ tire contains a polyether-based polyurethane foam. It is firmly attached to an adhesive layer on the inner surface of the tire tread area which helps reduce interior vehicle noise up to 9 dB(A). I cannot prove it but my colleagues have used it and have faith in it.CC6 and UC6 both are good.
Third best would be Yokohalma and
Fourth best would be Bridgestone.
My suggestion is XM2+/Continental (I am also in the hunt for 185/65/R15, in Tvm). Most likely to go with Continental, as getting great reviews from many enthusiast friends. Hence, thought of trying the brand. Michelins are always a benchmark.
I agree with you fully.
PS. This is my first post in AMI, Pardon me if its posted in the worng thread.
Congrats for the first post. You have a good style of writing.

Last edited:
Thank you @VISHNUCARCRAZY

Best tyre would be Michelin, no comparison with any brand.
Thank you @mayankdixit.

Will definetly go with the best- Michelin's

Recently manufactured XM2+ is readily available in the stock size. Will P4ST in the 195 60 R15 with an ODO error of +2% can be considered as a considerably better option (in regard to shear ride comfort) over Xm2+ in 185/60 R15(It was costing almost the same in that size as well.)

Thank you [:)].

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Thank you @mayankdixit.
Will P4ST in the 195 60 R15 with an ODO error of +2% can be considered as a considerably better option (in regard to shear ride comfort) over Xm2+ in 185/60 R15(It was costing almost the same in that size as well.
Don't do it.
Never oversize tyres.
Never undersize tyres.
Always Stay with OEM stock specs (rims and tyres)
Only changes the rubber quality.
Don't ever go for weird poser rims.
Your ride will thank you later.

p.s. Been there, done that. Ruined the ride .Sold the car. Bitter till today.

Last edited:
195/55R15 would be the proper upsize than 60 profile. Yokohoma S-Drive is available in that size, one of the finest tyres.
Dear @deville_56
I appreciate 195 55 15 is closest to the stock (polo gets this option overseas as well). But I was searching a more cushier and comfort ride only. S drive in 195 55 15 I believe will be very good in quality roads ( even looked good, have seen it while visiting ASC). Roads here in kerala is not so consistent and quality varies from with in a stretch. Hence not going with any upsize. but most comfortable based rubbers. ( stock good year @ 42000 are hard as rock, never got a puncture is the only good point with them. Prefer Michelin XM2+( best one as of now) in 185 60 r15.

Thank you

deville_56

Honoured Member
BTB, I'm from Kerala too. Michelin's are hard to find here nowadays. Yokohoma Earth 1 and Continental UC6 and CC6 were available readily everywhere. Bought UC6 195/60R15 for a friend's Punto last week, 5600 per wheel.

Vento TSi comes in following tyre and wheel configs
1. Trendline 175 70 R15- side wall height 123mm- overall diameter- 601mm
2. Comfortline and Highline with 180 60 r15- side wall height - 111mm overall Diameter- 603mm
3. Highline plus with 195 55 R16- side wall height- 107mm, overall Diameter- 621mm
The first 2 sizes where present right from the launch of vento (more than 10yrs) and is more or less identical in overall height
But the 195 55 r15 introduced with Highline play s model is a large ( almost 3%) larger tyres. Ground clearance increase of 10mm also is observed( no where stated)
Even 195 60 r15 is smaller than this with sidewalk height of 117mm , overall Diameter 615mm.

I had a chat with Service manager at ASC, he said there is no issue in upgrading to 195 55 R15 as it comes in higher variants. I am also informed that suspension and its tuning is not changed as well. Odo might be caliberated by VW as 3 percent change in dia/ circumference is present.

I got a chance to drive 195 55 R15 vento Highline plus and noticed slightly better ride than my vento 185 60 r15. My guess is this may be due to better and newer tyre in highline plus ( 2019 Goodyear Assurance vs mine 2017 Goodyear DP)
Hence tyre quality plays a major part in comfort despite lower sidewall height.
195 looked more suited to vento in terms of proportions
No change in fuel efficiency is also observed in between them as well.
Steering also felt similar.

Top Bottom