Volkswagen Vento Tyre Upgrade

deville_56

Honoured Member
Vento TSi comes in following tyre and wheel configs
1. Trendline 175 70 R15- side wall height 123mm- overall diameter- 601mm
2. Comfortline and Highline with 180 60 r15- side wall height - 111mm overall Diameter- 603mm
3. Highline plus with 195 55 R16- side wall height- 107mm, overall Diameter- 621mm
The first 2 sizes where present right from the launch of vento (more than 10yrs) and is more or less identical in overall height
But the 195 55 r15 introduced with Highline play s model is a large ( almost 3%) larger tyres. Ground clearance increase of 10mm also is observed( no where stated)
Even 195 60 r15 is smaller than this with sidewalk height of 117mm , overall Diameter 615mm.

I had a chat with Service manager at ASC, he said there is no issue in upgrading to 195 55 R15 as it comes in higher variants. I am also informed that suspension and its tuning is not changed as well. Odo might be caliberated by VW as 3 percent change in dia/ circumference is present.

I got a chance to drive 195 55 R15 vento Highline plus and noticed slightly better ride than my vento 185 60 r15. My guess is this may be due to better and newer tyre in highline plus ( 2019 Goodyear Assurance vs mine 2017 Goodyear DP)
Hence tyre quality plays a major part in comfort despite lower sidewall height.
195 looked more suited to vento in terms of proportions
No change in fuel efficiency is also observed in between them as well.
Steering also felt similar.
Plus it gives a more planted feel. My cousin run on S-drives 195/55R15 on his Vento TDI.

Our sold Polo came with 175/70R14 and we ran on 195/60R14 till it was sold, 3 pairs, Apollo Accelera (stock), Yokohoma ES100 and MRF ZLO, of which ZLO was the most comfier and Yokos were the sportier and Accelera were the crappiest.

Last edited:
Best tyre would be Michelin, no comparison with any brand. I understand that they may be difficult to get hands on, so
Second best
would be Continental.
Third best would be Yokohalma
Hello Mayank ,
Its been a while,
My car tyre tread is almost touching the treadwear marker. The stock Good year did surprisingly well in the last months as wear was very slow (hard rubber maybe ) and got considerable mileage towards the end of tyre life.

As yours and @deville_56 recommendation, i was searching for Michelin XM2+ in 185 60 r15 size. I found 4 tyres from a Michelin dealer in my town (Calicut) with a Manufacturing date of Jun 2021. (1 year old ). Is this Tyre age OK to buy?

Will, there be any disadvantages which will arise now (harder??) or to be expected later (longevity/ durability issues?)

Please advise whether 2021 Michelin XM2+ or Conti CC6 (2022) or Yoko BluearthGT(2022) is the better pick considering Comfort and all-round performance.

Thank you
Altoster

Not okay. Don't buy this. Go for continental.
Hello all, I didn’t change tyres running was low . Now some tyres have started showing signs of age.
One additional reason i waited is Michelin unavailability. Still is unavailable
While checking tyre shop I happen to see Vredstein Ultrac. Looked good , soft tyre, lighter and dealer saying is very good. Can u throw light on how good is that compared to other premium brands. Its made in India by apollo(parent company) and there’s good warranty offered
The rubber looked premium and comparable to Michelins and there were very fine details like Michelin.Only thing I noticed Treadwear was written 280.

Attachments

While checking tyre shop I happen to see Vredstein Ultrac. Looked good , soft tyre, lighter and dealer saying is very good. Can u throw light on how good is that compared to other premium brands. Its made in India by apollo(parent company) and there’s good warranty offered
The rubber looked premium and comparable to Michelins and there were very fine details like Michelin.Only thing I noticed Treadwear was written 280.
@VISHNUCARCRAZY , @mayankdixit
Since Michelin is not available, Is this a good alternative?

Vredstein , is a good brand. Personally haven't got the chance to use it. I would suggest you to go with a brand which has good aftersales in your area.
Continental is gaining popularity in Indian Market, so kindly do check the same.

Vredstein , is a good brand. Personally haven't got the chance to use it. I would suggest you to go with a brand which has good aftersales in your area.
Continental is gaining popularity in Indian Market, so kindly do check the same.
In 185 60 r15 size Continental is offering cc6 only. might be fine but personally don’t like the pattern look of that. UC6 not available in that size. Vredsteins are manufactured and sold by apollo tyres and marketed as premium tyres.
Note:tyre full name is Vredstein Ultrac-i
Where i stands engineered for India.
Hence thinking it might be reliable as well

Why don't you try for 195/55/R15?

185/60/R15 is a very rare profile, you won't get many good options!

I think others might have aslo posted in this thread the same profile. I had just cross checked, and the error is 1% only.

Hello all,

Done the leap of faith and chose Vredestein Ultrac in stock size 185 60 R15 for 5400rs per tyre with fitment, Nitrogen and Alignment. balancing was extra. This is the best deal I got checking 5 tyre shops in Calicut, Kerala.
( all 5 shops acknowledged that the Vredestein tires are good in quality and offer high performance.

Shop name: Bristol Tyres. Calicut. The Fitment team did a good job and did every without any delay.

The manufacturing date of all tyres 47th week of 2022 ( tyre is only 1.5months old)
Ultrac felt very soft compared to other apollos. The design of tyre is like any other international brand and minor details do catch our eye.
185 60r15 84V (only V-rated tyre I saw in this size).
Traction Rating is AA ( relatively good grip within the manufacturer records)
5year manufacturer warranty and 2 year Unconditional warranty from apollo

Felt similar to Yokohama Bluearth GT (5650rs) and Continental UC6(6000rs) in softness and Bounce.

immediate impression after fitment and drive.
  1. Ultrac looks wider compared to old good year Dp. hence looks better. ( perceive as 195mm )
  2. Softness is definitely felt when running over rumble strips, and small potholes.
  3. steering feels lighter.
  4. Very less noise.
@mayankdixit @VISHNUCARCRAZY
I Thank you all for the support and feedback. I Will update u after a certain period

Regards
Altoster

Hello all,

immediate impression after fitment and drive.
Hello
Few more things to add up after 250Km
  1. Braking improved multifold. ( the best positive in my opinion) The car stops smoothly and much before with less effort. I wish I could have upgraded to better tyres at least 10000Km before. The feel of driving the car changed.
  2. Haven't had an abs kick or tyre squeal with relatively hard braking to test braking.
thanks

Top Bottom