Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

any other expert member may also please throw some light on my above problem !!!!!!
If your springs have lost tension /sagged, then most likely your gas filled shock absorbers are dead too. Usually the shock absorbers fail first, and if not changed, the load is taken up by coils, eventually deforming them.

Regarding bushes, look for trailing arm bush, coil spring seats and stoppers too.

In my 2000 model 800 DX, I noticed when the rear changed behaviour, and one of the shock absorber was weak, whereas the other was dead. I changed both of them, and this timely repair saved me the hassle of damaged coils.

Regards,
Shashi

Thanks for your reply swiftshahi. I will have to go to MASS Mandovi this morning. As your rightly said Shock Absorbers seems to be the culprits and have to change both if even one is damaged and perhaps Both Coil springs too, besides checking the Trailing arm Bush, Coil springs seats and stoppers too. I guess springs may cost around Rs 1000 for both( ?), Shock Absorbers around Rs 1600 for both ( ?), Bushes, seats n stoppers etc means around Rs 3000 and including Labour n tax etc, the Total Bill may come to Rs 4000 plus ??

Last edited:
Dear Shashi, OHHHH What a Relief !!!!! I Did go to MAAS Mandovi at 9.30 am and the supervisor who took care of my services earlier ( he is one of the honest persons I ever come across at MASS here) , smiled and said, it is impossible that a car like mine would have lose or broken springs. He took my car to the Ramp, and took me down and showed me that nothing is wrong with my Springs or Shock Absorbers. He said the wheel care person normally put the Jack at the centre and that is why springs appeared as lose. He also said, the Shock Absorbers may fail due to long long Mileage and bad bumpy roads but the life of springs are much longer.
So it is all blessing in disguise.

Underbody coating My White Angel M- 800 DX of 1998 Model.
My White Angel M – 800 DX of 1998 Model got Antirust Under body Coating and also Floor coating besides cleaning of Door Pads. It took 2 ½ days for me from 15th May 2017 Monday till 17th May Wednesday Noon.
Before sharing the details and photos, let me first thank swiftshashi and Sumitsinha, the two enthusiastic young members of TAI, who gave me lot of suggestions/ Tips on the subject which was discussed for few days under the topic – Technical Issues and Solutions.
Mangalore is a nice city with many persons having latest and expensive cars and very few old persons like me still try our best to maintain our old Maruti – 800 cars. Of Course swiftshashi and Sumitsinha are exceptions who made history among the old Maruti Car owners; Of Course there are few more enthusiastic young persons in the TAI. Majority of the Car service centres make roaring business here on services and it has become a lucrative business. However I did struggle to find a suitable Auto shop here, having the 2 stage lift facility for washing and with spray gun, however Auto Service Stations which I approached started quoting exorbitant rates just for one coat either with 3M or Wurth, as the market here is controlled by the lobby of these 2.
Finally I could find a place by name NANDI MOTORS, a Bosch service station, who agreed to do only the labour job with my materials and their rates, seemed to be reasonable to me compared to others who quoted more than double for the same work. This Auto shop started by 3 partners about 10-12 years ago, have about 35 workers, covering servicing of all kind of cars, Painting work etc. However it is not organised properly like MASS and everything is hotch – potch here and one has to sit there to get the work done properly.
After reading few articles and also interacting with swiftshashi, I took the decision of going for Zinc Chromate Primer of Epoxy of Grey color, Gem Guard make. My guess as regards purchasing of 1 litre along with Hardener ( Rs 332) and 1 litre of Epoxy Thinner of Gem Guard ( Rs 223) was sufficient for a primer coat for underbody and for Floor area. Total cost was Rs 621 along with 1 litre of Turpetine for cleaning of their Spray Gun Nozzles, Brush etc and not for adding to the Tufkote.(Bill attached ).
I got Tufkote 4950 Underbody coating of 2 Litres costing Rs 851 from Mumbai. ( Bill attached). It was not diluted while applying and only about 1 ¼ Litres was sufficient for underbody coating and for the Floor area.
Since I got the underbody coating done 6 years ago ( 3M of one coat done at Mass Mandovi) and also my car is well maintained for all these 19 yrs, except some rusting seen at the chassis, there was no rusting at all anywhere at underbody or on the Floor area. Even there was no rusting seen at door panel areas, except little dust accumulation, hence I did not do any spraying at Door Panels after seeing the condition of the Door panels and also the Auto owners were pressuring me to take out my car at the earliest as on the very first day from 10 am till next morning the car sat on their lift and they had to postpone washing of other cars the next day.
On 15th May Morning, the car was washed thoroughly by removing the wheels ( and not fender liners as the Auto owner was bit upset that I stayed there to witness the working done ) at 9.30 am and till 2 pm ( about 4 Hours ) we kept it for drying by blowing compressed Air and made sure there was no moisture at all before we applied the Primer coat by Spray gun. It took just one hour to apply primer coat and within ½ hour it dried, however I insisted them to start the TufKote Coat after lunch only. So the Tufkote Spray was done from 3 pm to 4 pm. They were not prepared to cover up the half door areas by plastic sheets ( I took some plastic sheets ) to protect it from reaching those areas due to wind ; instead they sprayed some diluted Diesel , so after completing the Spray work they could wipe it up and clean with soapy water etc
The Wheels were taken out on my insistence; however the Auto owner was not prepared to remove the Fender lining saying that they do the undercoating without taking out the wheels and fender lining for other cars all these years. The Auto owner asked them to fix the Tyres and take out the car from the Lift after completing the Tufkote coat but I strongly objected that he would be responsible for any damages. So unwillingly the car was left on the lift till next morning.
Though on 16th May I reached the place at 9 am and the car was taken out from the Lift, the Auto owner gave the Mechanic to remove the seats and Brush service man only at 12 Noon to start the Brushing work on the Floor area (He took the Front 2 seats and the back seat only as there was no necessity to take out the Back seat rests). It took hardly 30 minutes to apply Primer Coat and then after lunch only I asked him to do the Tufkote coating work by Brush and it took only 30 minutes. We closed the doors after 4.30 pm and left it like that for drying till next morning.
On 17th Moring, he fitted the seats and took out the Door panel pads and took the car for though washing. Since it was damn hot, we did not wait for it to dry fully, but fixed the Door pads by applying some greasing etc. The Total Bill came to Rs 2070 ( Bill attached) I felt it is reasonable, compared to other Auto shops who quoted me Rs 4000 plus.
So the Expenses Break up is :
Primer with Hardener,Thinner and Turpentine – Rs 621
TufKote 4950 – 2 Litres - Rs 851
Labour Bill - Rs 2070
6 Grommets - Rs 72
WD -40 32 gms - Rs 70
Chai paani and Tips for 3 workers - Rs 450
Wheel Balancing done at Ceat wheel care - Rs 80
(Wheel alignment was already done earlier)

So the Total amount spent is = Rs 4,214.

On 18th May Thurday, my DIY started to clean up and remove any left over blackish marks and apply waxpol to the Body to give a shiny look as usual, by spending about 4 hours.

Just attaching some photos clicked during the work.

Attachments

Last edited:
more photos

Attachments

Excellent work.

Some pointers
-Not too happy with the interior floor coating. It wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, should offer a good protection
-What happened to your door seal?? That plastic has a purpose, and protects doorpads from degrading due to moisture.
-Underbody coating is awesome.

Offtopic: what make is your taillamps?? Are they IJL by any chance??

Hi Shashi, Thanks for your appreciation.
Though there was no rusting at all on cabin Floor, I did apply the primer and Tufkote as precautionary measure. Also, the Tin was opened and only abour 200 gms were used for Floor and I am still left with about 3/4 litres of Tufkote and will give to any friend who is interested in going for Underbody coating.

The Door seal plastic was not removed and rolled while cleaning and put back to the black gum where it was attached earlier and whatever was torn, was put back with quick seal. I know you told me last time that those plastics sheets have a purpose. Also the fitter was careful while taking out the pads, saying that these plastic sheets also protects rain water to come inside the cabin through pads.

The left side Tail lamp is stock one, where as the Right side was replaced when I had a hit in 2009. Honestly I don't know the make and there is only some numbers on that Tail lamp.

Shall write to you separately later under - Technical Issues and Solutions seeking your suggestion and help as regards some minor rusting observed and wish to take care of it in the initial stage itself.

Hello friends,

I need help regarding application of underbody coating on my car's wheel arch/well. Recently I have bought Tuf-kote Underbody Coating 4941, Tuf-kote Converust RC800 and Krud Kutter The Must For Rust, In-which latter two products needed for other purpose (To fix some rusted stuffs in my house).

So far I wasn't concerned about my car's underbody or wheel well rusting but now water corporation is supplying hardwater along with sweet water so I'm worried that the salt content in hardwater may cause rust. I wash my car myself and underbody hardly gets wet but wheel well does, so I would like to protect it with underbody coating. The surface to be treated is 95% rust-free and if any, I would clean it with wire scrub, kerosene and rust remover. After the surface is 99% clean, do I have to apply metal primer first or is it ok to apply Underbody Coating directly on bare metal?

My doubt is; if I do the former, will the underbody coating bound with primer? or if I do the latter, will underbody coating cause inner rust?

I have Asian Paint Yellow Metal Primer which is a zinc primer but it is yellow in color. Will it work or do I need anyother or automotive specific zinc primer?

FYI, I would be using 2" paint brush to apply the products but without removing wheels. :stupid: Though, I would cover the wheels, car body paint and etc with plastic, paper and masking tape.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Attachments

Last edited:

Hello friends,

I need help regarding application of underbody coating on my car's wheel arch/well. Recently I have bought Tuf-kote Underbody Coating 4941, Tuf-kote Converust RC800 and Krud Kutter The Must For Rust, In-which latter two products needed for other purpose (To fix some rusted stuffs in my house).

So far I wasn't concerned about my car's underbody or wheel well rusting but now water corporation is supplying hardwater along with sweet water so I'm worried that the salt content in hardwater may cause rust. I wash my car myself and underbody hardly gets wet but wheel well does, so I would like to protect it with underbody coating. The surface to be treated is 95% rust-free and if any, I would clean it with wire scrub, kerosene and rust remover. After the surface is 99% clean, do I have to apply metal primer first or is it ok to apply Underbody Coating directly on bare metal?

My doubt is; if I do the former, will the underbody coating bound with primer? or if I do the latter, will underbody coating cause inner rust?

I have Asian Paint Yellow Metal Primer which is a zinc primer but it is yellow in color. Will it work or do I need anyother or automotive specific zinc primer?

FYI, I would be using 2" paint brush to apply the products but without removing wheels. :stupid: Though, I would cover the wheels, car body paint and etc with plastic, paper and masking tape.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hello, welcome to TAI. There are many experts here and can give you advise/suggestions.

I can give you suggestions based on my experience and what I have read and understood.

First of all, you have to avoid doing the Anti-rust coating if it rains there. Because you have not only to remove the rust but also the surface should be dry. When it rains, the moisture traces won't help you.

2ndly if you read my long post with photos as regards the antirust coating, you will get most of your your doubts cleared. Yet give you some tips:

It is better to do the antirust coating for the entire underbody because when yous say your wheel wells are rusting, that means the chasis and other underbody parts and also the floor may be rusting. what is your car model and Odo reading?

Without removing the Tyres and doing the brush work won't help you much ( in fact removing the fender lining is also good idea but sometimes the fender lining breaks if the screws are rusting. But definitely better to take out the Tyres.

Don't go for yellow Zinc primer, it is meant for normal MS as primer before applying the paint. Better go for Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer which will protect the body for longer life. Even ships use Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer.

Tufkote RC 800 is good to remove the rust. But you have to sand the surfaces later and clean it and make sure that there will not any moisture when you start the primer coat.

you should have bought Tufkote 4950 instead of 4941 because 4941 has primer qualities. Better use 4941 as primer coat since you already bought it but get 4950 for final coat.

Normally the antirust coat lasts for anything from 3-5 yrs depending upon how you get it done. Better to spray it for better result than applying it by Brush.

good luck to you.

Hello, welcome to TAI. There are many experts here and can give you advise/suggestions.

I can give you suggestions based on my experience and what I have read and understood.

First of all, you have to avoid doing the Anti-rust coating if it rains there. Because you have not only to remove the rust but also the surface should be dry. When it rains, the moisture traces won't help you.

2ndly if you read my long post with photos as regards the antirust coating, you will get most of your your doubts cleared. Yet give you some tips:

It is better to do the antirust coating for the entire underbody because when yous say your wheel wells are rusting, that means the chasis and other underbody parts and also the floor may be rusting. what is your car model and Odo reading?

Without removing the Tyres and doing the brush work won't help you much ( in fact removing the fender lining is also good idea but sometimes the fender lining breaks if the screws are rusting. But definitely better to take out the Tyres.

Don't go for yellow Zinc primer, it is meant for normal MS as primer before applying the paint. Better go for Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer which will protect the body for longer life. Even ships use Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer.

Tufkote RC 800 is good to remove the rust. But you have to sand the surfaces later and clean it and make sure that there will not any moisture when you start the primer coat.

you should have bought Tufkote 4950 instead of 4941 because 4941 has primer qualities. Better use 4941 as primer coat since you already bought it but get 4950 for final coat.

Normally the antirust coat lasts for anything from 3-5 yrs depending upon how you get it done. Better to spray it for better result than applying it by Brush.

good luck to you.
Hello,

Thank you for the detailed info and suggestions.

I have 2009 Honda City which I have bought 4 years ago. So far it has run 50k+ KM and I have maintained it well after owning. There are minor rust patches here and there but nothing noticeable on the underbody or wheel wells. The factory anti-rust coating on chassis is good but in the front, there was some surface rust and I cleaned it, primed and painted. I have done it years ago and now I'll have to recheck its condition.

Here it is raining sometimes and sunshine sometimes. I have shade for my car so no issues of rain interrupting the work. Also I will not take my car outside until the coating is dry and ready.

I'm looking to do DIY anti-rust coating for wheel well just for precaution but removing wheels and spray application isn't possible for me. Its more of a professionals job.
At the time of buying underbody coating product, I didn't researched much. Just bought it along with other products from Ebay. Thought I'd apply it with brush on wheel well and be done with it. :tongue: Now its looking complex work.

Fender lining is present on front wheel holding with plastic push clips, not sure whether it comes out easily but I did remove front bumper several times and fender lining is attached to it.
There are no fender linings on the rear wheels, only metal cladding.

Do I really need a primer? The wheel well metal cladding is coated from factory and wherever there is rust, I will clean it and use Tufkote RC 800 followed by zinc chromate primer if I could find it. Is it ok to do so?

I have heard that RC800 can be used as primer and top it with 4941. Is it true?

Only Tufkote 4941 is available in ebay. Checked the 4950 packing, description and it looks similar. I doubt Tufkote products are available locally.

Dinitrol also manufacturers same products with same number and I have found more info from them.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed info and suggestions.

I have 2009 Honda City which I have bought 4 years ago. So far it has run 50k+ KM and I have maintained it well after owning. There are minor rust patches here and there but nothing noticeable on the underbody or wheel wells. The factory anti-rust coating on chassis is good but in the front, there was some surface rust and I cleaned it, primed and painted. I have done it years ago and now I'll have to recheck its condition.

Here it is raining sometimes and sunshine sometimes. I have shade for my car so no issues of rain interrupting the work. Also I will not take my car outside until the coating is dry and ready.

I'm looking to do DIY anti-rust coating for wheel well just for precaution but removing wheels and spray application isn't possible for me. Its more of a professionals job.
At the time of buying underbody coating product, I didn't researched much. Just bought it along with other products from Ebay. Thought I'd apply it with brush on wheel well and be done with it. :tongue: Now its looking complex work.

Fender lining is present on front wheel holding with plastic push clips, not sure whether it comes out easily but I did remove front bumper several times and fender lining is attached to it.
There are no fender linings on the rear wheels, only metal cladding.

Do I really need a primer? The wheel well metal cladding is coated from factory and wherever there is rust, I will clean it and use Tufkote RC 800 followed by zinc chromate primer if I could find it. Is it ok to do so?

I have heard that RC800 can be used as primer and top it with 4941. Is it true?

Only Tufkote 4941 is available in ebay. Checked the 4950 packing, description and it looks similar. I doubt Tufkote products are available locally.

Dinitrol also manufacturers same products with same number and I have found more info from them.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Tufkote Automotive Pvt Ltd, 270/2143, Motilal Nagar, 1 Link Road, Goregaon (West) , Mumbai - 400 104, Tel No - 022 28767416
Mr Kiran Bommankanti - Business development Mob : 9821071178.

Tufkote 1 kg Can costs Rs 275 plus transport may be Rs 100 for one can, plus now GST at 14+14% , may cost less than Rs 500 for a can. Ask them to give you a quote by giving your email ID. On receipt of email, you send the amount by RTGS and they will confirm immediately on receipt and you will receive the product in a week's time and you can trace your delivery by tracking your order just like you track your order on Ebay etc. They are honest people.

4941 is wax based Rust projection which is used as primer after you do the Rust removal, whereas 4950 is Bitumen based which is the after coat of primer. Do not dilute Tufkote and apply as it is.

If you do DIY, You can protect your wheel rims by Gum tapes and Tyres by plastic sheets and also the lower body by plastic sheets.

you can try with any paint dealer in your city for Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer of Gem guard make - you get grey color can costing about Rs 300 for 1 litre. Berger also makes Zinc Chrome primer but it is Red in color. Gemguard Bangalore Tel no is 080 - 23420846 and you can ask them who is their stockist in your city.

Remember, you have to give a time gap of about 2 hrs before applying Tufkote and not to use your car for atleast 10-12 hrs. If you go for both Tufkote, in that case the time gap should be 10-12 hrs between 4941 and 4950.

Good luck
Regards.

Tufkote Automotive Pvt Ltd, 270/2143, Motilal Nagar, 1 Link Road, Goregaon (West) , Mumbai - 400 104, Tel No - 022 28767416
Mr Kiran Bommankanti - Business development Mob : 9821071178.

Tufkote 1 kg Can costs Rs 275 plus transport may be Rs 100 for one can, plus now GST at 14+14% , may cost less than Rs 500 for a can. Ask them to give you a quote by giving your email ID. On receipt of email, you send the amount by RTGS and they will confirm immediately on receipt and you will receive the product in a week's time and you can trace your delivery by tracking your order just like you track your order on Ebay etc. They are honest people.

4941 is wax based Rust projection which is used as primer after you do the Rust removal, whereas 4950 is Bitumen based which is the after coat of primer. Do not dilute Tufkote and apply as it is.

If you do DIY, You can protect your wheel rims by Gum tapes and Tyres by plastic sheets and also the lower body by plastic sheets.

you can try with any paint dealer in your city for Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer of Gem guard make - you get grey color can costing about Rs 300 for 1 litre. Berger also makes Zinc Chrome primer but it is Red in color. Gemguard Bangalore Tel no is 080 - 23420846 and you can ask them who is their stockist in your city.

Remember, you have to give a time gap of about 2 hrs before applying Tufkote and not to use your car for atleast 10-12 hrs. If you go for both Tufkote, in that case the time gap should be 10-12 hrs between 4941 and 4950.

Good luck
Regards.
Hello,

Thanks for providing contact details. I will ask Tufkote about 4950. As of Gemguard, I have found their dealer address in my city market and I will contact them on Monday.

As tomorrow is Sunday, I will clean all the wheels and wheel well. Check if its really necessary to apply anti-rust coating or whether it is possible for me to do the job. So that I will know how to proceed. Don't want to end up with problems after buying all the products. :)

One last query if you don't mind. Which of the following is best suited for me? :
Primer+4941
Primer+4941+4950
Primer+4950
4941+4950 (Incase I cannot get Zinc Primer)

Thanks again for talking your time for responding to my noob queries.

Best Regards

Hello,

Thanks for providing contact details. I will ask Tufkote about 4950. As of Gemguard, I have found their dealer address in my city market and I will contact them on Monday.

As tomorrow is Sunday, I will clean all the wheels and wheel well. Check if its really necessary to apply anti-rust coating or whether it is possible for me to do the job. So that I will know how to proceed. Don't want to end up with problems after buying all the products. :)

One last query if you don't mind. Which of the following is best suited for me? :
Primer+4941
Primer+4941+4950
Primer+4950
4941+4950 (Incase I cannot get Zinc Primer)

Thanks again for talking your time for responding to my noob queries.

Best Regards
We are all learning by following and asking others. Though I am old man, I came to know many things about how to do a proper task from enthusiastic youngsters like dear Shashi, sumitsinha, Harsh. What Im supposed to do at 20 plus, Im doing at 70 plus.

If you get Zinc Chrome Epoxy primer, it is good because it gives strong bonding to the metal. Then applying 4950 helps. Worst come worst, you can give 2 coats of 4941 if you don't get Zinc Chrome.

Even 1 1/4 litres of 4950 was sufficient ( without diluting) for my M- 800 underbody and Floor coats. Im left with 3/4th can of 4950 and shall give to any friend who will do underbody coating in Mangalore. Since it is opened, it can not be transported, otherwise I could have sent it to you. Because the product to be used within about 12 months after opening the can. Who knows it may become harder later or may be it is their marketing plans and For safety reason they send it by Road transport only.

Top Bottom