Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Under Body Anti-Rust Coating – Queries

you missed out on a vital point-that out of about 40 cars, ONLY Honda is rusted.
I actually did not buddy, see an important thing to be noted here is the age of metal too. The strength of metal to avoid such damages reduces with time. Also, I would like to understand some points:

1) How old is the car?

2) Is rusting specific to a particular area or entire car?

3) Had the car been re-painted?

Regards

Akash

1) How old is the car? 2011

Not one particular area but in number of areas.

Nope

When I said about 40 cars are parked together, some of 2011 or similiar features and conditions, why is it that only the HONDA should get rusted.

It is obvious HONDA does not take adequate care for anti rust measures, sometimes.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

1) How old is the car? 2011

Not one particular area but in number of areas.

Nope
Can you post some pics too buddy?

When I said about 40 cars are parked together, some of 2011 or similiar features and conditions, why is it that only the HONDA should get rusted.
I also own a 2011 Honda but no rust till date on it. It could be that in 2011 the body-shell of Honda was not upto mark and only way to protect was anti-rust coating or might be possible the issue maybe confined to a specific lot and unluckily you got a car from that specific lot.

It is obvious HONDA does not take adequate care for anti rust measures, sometimes.
As said above, it may be confined to a specific lot of cars. Could be lapse on their part.

Regards

Akash

Ok. Some facts. Most modern cars come with steel thats has additives that inhibit rusting. Further, the steel is galvanised. Galvanizing involves coating the steel with some more electronegative metal like zinc that oxidizes first, protecting the underlying steel. Also, most cars come with factory phospating. Phospating involves dipping the "frame in silver" into a bath of chemicals that coats the surface and acts as rust protection. So, principally, cars do not require rust proofing in the first few years. . Since the chassis is dipped into the phospate bath, every corner is protected. On top of that, paint is also a rust proofing- in addition to aesthetics, it prevents water from coming in contact with the steel. Practically, in India, this isint the case. Firstly, neither galvanising, nor phospating will work if the layer is damaged. So once you have a dent or even a scratch on non-painted area, the steel is exposed and rusting starts. Then there is galvanic reactions involved- where dissimilar metals are in contact and immersed in an electrolyte (such as water with stuff dissolved), a small electric current flows between them and the more electronegative metal corrodes first. This typically happens in hubs where the rim and the studs are in contact or places likes hinges and so on. For these reasons, part of the body that is at the level of the door runners, bumpers etc and the rims are the first to rust.

Thats where aftermarket rustproofing comes in. It essentially builds up another layer of protection. However, given time, everything dissolves or is corroded. And the rate at which the material goes off depends on the location of the coating. Thats why these guys give a warranty of "X" number of years on their coatings. And therefore, the coating has to be repeated after a period of time to prevent corrosion.

If only the Honda is rusted, it indicates short drives where the water hasnt had enough time to drip off or dry off from the heat. Most likely it will be surface rust, so should be ground off and coated / painted as per the area it is located in

Ameyam

Ok.So, principally, cars do not require rust proofing in the first few years.
The Scross has a fiberglass panels covering the under belly for aerodynamics .Now do we actually need to do under body anti corrosion coating like 3 M .I understand from another forum 3 M guys were wondering how to do the coating and suggested to a owner to allow them to take out the panels to coat the under body since it was rejected by the owner they ended up spraying on the panels .I checked with a Maruti service guys who feel there is no need to do the under body coating 1) because its covered by fiberglass 2) The components are treated at the factory .The general feeling among owners of cars in general is if I am spending lakhs why not few thousands more .
I dont subscribe to that theory but would like to decide on a better logic .Please comment

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, I purchased a datsun go plus from karnataka in February 2015,now suddenly I observe light corrosion from door endings,above the headlight and small corrosion all over the cover.why is this happening .underbody has already been done from 3M.car is in bangalore and well maintained too.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

now suddenly I observe light corrosion from door endings,above the headlight and small corrosion all over the cover.why is this happening .underbody has already been done from 3M.
Ahmed can you post a few pics for reference. It may be possible that salty water accumulation on the edges might have caused it.

Regards

Akash

Hi my datsun go plus is 11 months old. As I purchased it in Feb 2015.the rusting I observed yesterday was only in particular area above headlight near bonnet,doors where we put the plastic door guard to avoid scratches.the car has not been repainted also.the rusting is like eg. if I hit the metal and In Some days metal gets rusted,its. Like that but the rusting is in the places where are very low chances to get hit too, there are no bends if it's hitted. thanks

Tata has provided a rubbery underbody coat to zest,so i did not opt for extra under body coating during delivery,but during 2nd service had a chat with the service head,and he advised for a silencer and exhaust pipe silver coating coz he said these can get corroded easily and its not covered under warrenty.so opted for it along with an underbody coat.together they cost around 3400 inclusive of taxes.Tyre noise has decreased a bit after the coating.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Tata has provided a rubbery underbody coat to zest,so i did not opt for extra under body coating during delivery,but during 2nd service had a chat with the service head,and he advised for a silencer and exhaust pipe silver coating coz he said these can get corroded easily and its not covered under warrenty.so opted for it along with an underbody coat.together they cost around 3400 inclusive of taxes.Tyre noise has decreased a bit after the coating.
Buddy, I could not stop myself from replying to your experience. To be honest, you have been duped by dealer. It is made clear that TATA already has provided a coating for underbody and there is no need for extra coating on Zest. The service head minted out money from you. These type of people are often on the lookout to catch unsuspecting customers. Silencer coating and other coatings are totally rubbish and waste. If OEM itself has provided the needful then what's the need? I do not blame you buddy but such kind of people who falsely con innocents like you are always disliked by me. The silencer coating and all do not hold at all in place and within few months i.e 2-3 months would be back to normal.

I would like to share, once I went for battery change of my CITY i.e in October 2014. The SA said, we'll apply a coating on terminals at the time of replacement since terminals are prone to corrosion. He said along with battery it will be charged extra i.e around 350-400/-. I asked, if I don't use this then? He told, terminals may corrode in 5-6 months and lead to starting problems. I still did not apply any coating and now it has been more than a year and not a single sign of corrosion is there on either of battery terminals of my CITY.

Regards

Akash

you might be true Akash, in my case he said that few indigo and indica owners complained about silencer rusting during the warranty period,and they wont honor the warranty for rusting of silencer.since I am new to Tata, I thought of doing it to avoid any risk. Also I had a bad experience with our maruti 800 which was used for 20 years and sold off. Its silencer replaced twice,and exhaust tail pipe tip will start rusting in 3-4 years.There was under body rusting beneath drivers seat and around boot area too.The rusting started in the areas where rubber plugs were used to seal the holes of the under body.In Zest the under body coating provided by tata leaves a margin around these rubber plugs.The new coating covers the entire under body without leaving any areas.But as you have pointed out,I dont know how long these will last.If they come out early,it will be a wastage of money.Regarding the battery,I have noticed white salt deposition on the battery terminals and the battery clamp of my Zen estilo which is 6 years old with OEM Exide battery.It did not damage the terminals but the metal clamp which holds the battery was completely corroded and replaced along with new battery.I think you can apply petroleum jelly to prevent salt deposition,and do not use grease for the same

Hello ! I am sorry. But i am not able to Post anything on this site even after Logging in.

I had a Query , I was confused if i should buy a used Honda Civic 2011 (Automatic) Model at a price tag of (4.8 Lakhs ) and also what should i pay attention to , if it is suggested.

Thank You if anybody can answer. Or place this post where someone can !

Akash1886

Honoured Member

you might be true Akash, in my case he said that few indigo and indica owners complained about silencer rusting during the warranty period,and they wont honor the warranty for rusting of silencer.since I am new to Tata, I thought of doing it to avoid any risk.
Buddy, to mint money the service people can give you many examples. I mean, you are a intelligent guy so do you really think his comparison of Zest to Indica or Indigo holds any relevance here? I mean Indigo and Zest are poles apart in every field. Do you actually think that TATA would not have improved in these respects over the years?[:)] Buddy, next time when you take the car for service simply avoid this gentleman who gave such a brilliant(pun intended) advice and conned you.

Regarding the battery,I have noticed white salt deposition on the battery terminals and the battery clamp of my Zen estilo which is 6 years old with OEM Exide battery.It did not damage the terminals but the metal clamp which holds the battery was completely corroded and replaced along with new battery.I think you can apply petroleum jelly to prevent salt deposition,and do not use grease for the same
Noted, surely shall use it asap. Thanks for the good tip buddy.[clap]

Regards

Akash

I am no expert. But someone told me this

If your daily run is 15~20 mins or your car is stationary most of the time, you will have this problem. Thing is, the petrol we get has some water in it. When you run the engine, this water turns to steam & then condenses in the silencer. If you have a sufficient long run, the silencee heats up & this water evaporates. But on sgirter runs, the water doesnt evaporate but remains in place & corrodes the silencer

If you have short runs, budget to replace the silencer once every few years. Underbody coat wont helphere here. However, under body coat will help with the other problems you listed

When driving around, the underbody geta a lot of scrapes from branches & stuff. Once the galvanizing is damaged there is no other protection. Hence underbody coating must be done. Think of it as an additional layer of protection

Ameyam

I would add just a point with Mr.Ameyam- what he told is right regarding need of additional coat -

normally in factory finished condition car has just a primer based coat(Galvanised coat)-this coat must be protected.

Also those who are using 3 M ,make sure you do the additional free coatings at the specified interval ,as i have felt the difference.

My car was delivered with first coat at 3M in january,after the extreme weather conditions here at trivandrum(Monsoon,coastal area,sunny parkings), at June i felt the colour of the car changing (This is due to the paint sealent-Teflon layer gradually depleshing),at june gave car for 2 nd free coat the car was good as new.

the same is applicable to underbody also.As underbody is not visible i can't comment more on same,though during alignment check up i saw that just normal scratch like one in vessel (Vessel grain like),is there .No chip offs.

Top Bottom