Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review: Third Service Update

I will try to make a video of the same. If the car had a bobblehead it won't last a day[lol]
I think it has crossed 2k.

Yes you are right, but it is not tankful to neck, stopped at gunshot 28 L, with existing fuel in tank it might be hardly 31-32 L total.. 640 max... 569 with 100 showing easily makes it ☺

I am happy with it for now.. never got 550+ earlier..
23 on ODO is around 20 in reality. I don't mind 20 or 18 but happy with car's performance now in terms of power also (enough for me)

Guess who completed 15000 Kilometers [:D]
Hey Prabhagar,
Congrats on clocking 15k kms.
Even mine crossed 15k kms, last week.

Did you notice a wrench symbol?
Probably that needs a reset. Need to figure out a way to reset that symbol.
Before reaching the 15 k kms, it was showing the number of kms (wrench symbol) to reach 15k kms.

Recently, went for the monsoon camp. Got an TMSC umbrella.

Thread Starter #484

Hey Prabhagar,
Congrats on clocking 15k kms.
Even mine crossed 15k kms, last week.

Did you notice a wrench symbol?
Probably that needs a reset. Need to figure out a way to reset that symbol.
Before reaching the 15 k kms, it was showing the number of kms (wrench symbol) to reach 15k kms.

Recently, went for the monsoon camp. Got an TMSC umbrella.
Congrats to you too Mukesh. Looks like service center folks missed to reset that wrench flag during your third service. It can only be done in their laptop connected to OBD. Man, you get all goodies from them, whats the trick? [:D]

Thread Starter #485

Hey Guys,
I went ahead and bought the Activ Alloys (discussed here) from my dealership. I have always felt stock alloys are a bit toned down but I was put off by the cost of replacement and specs mismatch with after market ones. Now that I have completed 1 year and thought it's the right time to gift something nice to my ride. The other reason being considerable number of Tiagos running around Coimbatore so a different alloy retains my exclusivity.
These Activ alloys are exhorbitantly priced at 26K but I still bought them for a couple of reasons:
1. Warranty issues with brakes, suspension etc. Easy for them to reject when they are non OEM.
2. Exact specs match. As far as I searched, there is no exact match with stock specs and not many options in the 14" diameter.
3. Looks. This is a subjective area but I fell for it already.

I still have the stock alloys with me and posted on OLX and TAI marketplace, hoping it will find a new owner soon and relieve my wallet a little bit.

Some Chinese supplier made these alloys.
Manufacturer.jpg

MRP label intentionally torn [frustration]:
MRP_Label.jpg

My dealership and service center are far away so they have a tie up with a nearby tire shop for installation. Felt like I was Alice in Wonderland looking at this [:D]
Alloy_Designs.jpg

All naked, ready for new set of wheels:
Naked.jpg

Balancing new wheels:
Balancing.jpg

Wheel alignment:
Alignment.jpg

And ready to go:
Ready_00.jpg

Ready_01.jpg

Ready_02.jpg

Ready_03.jpg

I was wrong about installing all four wheels in forward facing design but turns out it won't be possible. As all 4 wheels are designed in the same direction, they will look reversed on left side of the car. Learned this only at the tire shop during installation. Sorry to confuse you all BHVM, AHC and CRACING [:)].

bhvm

Honoured Member

i have a small issue my car does not cross 5000 rpm mark in idle while revving..is this a issue?
If this is diesel 5000 RPM is already quite high. No need to revv higher. Does it hit Higher when driving? Try in Lower gears. maybe there is an Over revv protection somewhere.

i have a small issue my car does not cross 5000 rpm mark in idle while revving..is this a issue?
Usually there is revv limiting feature in modern cars while idling to protect from engine damage. Tiago must have that feature too and that is limiting the rpm.

Thread Starter #489

If this is diesel 5000 RPM is already quite high. No need to revv higher. Does it hit Higher when driving? Try in Lower gears. maybe there is an Over revv protection somewhere.
I think he has petrol and I agree with archat, it could be a software limit when car is idle. I have redlined in second gear once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo87aH5Zqgs&feature=youtu.be

Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review

Second Service Update ~ 7500 km

View attachment 216764

Driving Experience:
It was a mixed experience driving my Tiago for the past 6 months. There were some days I regretted buying this car and some days with a big grin on my face. Some of my initial concerns were:
  • Sporadic rattling from dashboard and driver side AC vent.
  • Gear lever vibrations.
  • Body and seat vibrations at idle RPM, especially with AC.
  • Not so good power delivery.
However, the rattles were all gone after ~3K on the ODO. Gear vibrations were considerably arrested by TASC and it is within my tolerance level. I have learned to live with idle RPM vibrations on body/seats, it may be asking for too much from the humble 3 pot. Besides, I don't drive a lot in B2B traffic. Average fuel efficiency hovers around 15 kmpl, calculated by tank-full method. The overstates FE, often up to 15% giving a false sense of FE satisfaction to owners.

As for the power delivery issue goes, it could be due to my novice manual transmission skills (unfortunately my first car was an AT). I am getting better at learning the engine's manners. Nowadays, I either stay in 2-3K RPM band (for power) or use very light throttle below 1800 RPM (for mileage). This helps avoid vibes as well as extract better FE. I have also suppressed my urge to up-shift and learned to coast in the current gear (typically 3 and 4) to avoid frequent up/down shifts in city limits.

My only grief is the drop in power/FE when AC is powered up. It just sucks up a lot of juice from the engine and makes me crave for power, given that 90% of my driving happens with family on board (3 to 4 of us). I wish there is a way to reduce the compressor's power so that the drop is not obviously noticeable.

Mileage Stats (Tank Full Method):
View attachment 216762

Mileage on MID since first service:
View attachment 216769

Service Experience:
I drove up to TASC for the scheduled second service at 9am. This being a minor service,
I planned to stay there while they do their work. To my surprise, my SA and another senior technician (who attended my complaint for rattles & vibes) remembered me very well. After the initial hand shakes, we quickly finished the paperwork with my requests and complaints noted down.

I was then taken to their new customer lounge which was named Mini Theater [lol]. It was an air conditioned dark room with a wall projector and Denon home theater audio system. However, the content didn't justify the hardware, it was just the usual satellite TV channels. There were a couple of other people before me (cabbies, I suppose) and we were given chai and a few water bottles.

After spending a few boring hours, my car was ready by 1:30 pm. We reviewed the work done (on paper), finished payments and I got out of the place right away. Below are the work items that were requested and done (or not done?).

Please, No Car Wash:
Requested not to wash/clean the car except engine bay clean up. I already have enough swirl marks and interior stains from them. They happily returned the car in as-is condition even without cleaning the engine bay.

Cabin Air Filter:
I experienced foul smell for a few seconds when using blower so asked to clean out the AC air filter. Appears to be good for now.

ECU Firmware Update:
SA reviewed his computer and did not find any update for my VIN.

Harman ICE Software Update:
He acknowledged there is an update but I do not see the version number up-ticked after delivery. Did not bother going back for this as I don't have any critical issues with current version (except for pause/play issue with reverse gear).

Harman Music System Remote Control:
A couple of weeks back, I had requested my SA to procure the IR remote for audio system (got the part number from another owner, many thanks to him). After few phone call follow ups, I lost hope and interest in getting it. To my surprise, my SA stopped by the lounge with the remote control in his hand. It was priced reasonably at ₹539 so I instantly approved the purchase. Wife will be happy to use it from rear seats [:D].

View attachment 216770

Additional Power Socket:
I use a dashcam which occupies the 12v power socket all the time. The USB port doesn't supply enough juice to charge phones at a reasonable pace. So I requested to install another power socket, which they initially agreed to. However, half way through they refused doing it due to no existing wiring for the second dummy socket. I knew there is no wiring but can't they just tap the fuse box and route the damn wire? Besides, they were afraid of voiding warranty by adding additional wires. This will have to be a DIY for me down the line.

Tire Rotation & Wheel Alignment:
I insisted to rotate the tires but SA refused quoting they are done only at 15K service. I will get it done elsewhere shortly.

Wiper Blades:
Replaced on their own. Both wiper blades were found to be nearing their end of life so they were replaced free of cost (under AMC as per invoice).

Wiper Washer Liquid:
They had filled Wuerth wiper washer additive and charged me for that.

Remove Front Seat Covers:
Honestly, I wish I had not bought those stupid seat covers in the first place. I started having back ache at the exact line of contact with the horizontal seat cover stitching (pictured below). I asked them to remove just the front row covers as my daughter would spoil rear seat fabric if left uncovered. After removal, I feel like I am on a completely different seat. It is so comfy and comfortable that I won't trade in for any covers in future. Will give it a few more weeks to confirm if this was the root cause for back ache.

View attachment 216784

Wrong ODO Reading:
Either they are blind or there is something fishy in noting the ODO reading on the job card. I noticed it during first service as well but the difference wasn't large enough to be picky. The actual ODO on my car was 4726 but they entered it as 7121 in the service record. This is now screwing up my service history, the prior entry from last week's fuel neck replacement is 7252 which is higher than latest entry. Do you guys think I should get this corrected or is not a big deal to crib about?

View attachment 216732

Invoice Copy:
View attachment 216763

Promise To Protect:
My SA tried his level best to sell the new P2P plan on offer by Tata which covers parts & labor for wear & tear components. I argued that's what Gold AMC is for and what is the need for this P2P. He defended saying this one covers more than Gold AMC's coverage and for a longer tenure (up to 4 years / 60K km). The parts covered are:
  • Clutch
  • Brake Pad
  • Brake Linings
  • Brake Disc
  • Wiper
  • Wheel Cylinder
  • Suspension Bushes
  • Engine Mountings
  • Hoses
  • Ball Joints
  • Auxiliary Belt (Alternator & AC)
  • Window Winder
I politely denied the offer as I wanted to know my fellow TAIgers' opinions before shelling out another ₹5500 over and above the ₹9000 I paid for Gold AMC. I have attached pictures of the leaflet below, please let me know your views on this plan.

View attachment 216765

View attachment 216766

View attachment 216767

View attachment 216768

That's all for now. Happy motoring!
Hi,

Could you please share the part number of the IR remote for Tiago.

Pardon me for any mistakes with the post. This is my first post in TAI.

Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review

Anytime Akash ji. Looking forward to your PDI, delivery and ownership updates soon.
The car is in transit and expected in 4-5 day to reach (because of holidays). All set and done. PDI will be done at dealer's since I insisted it and I have full trust on the GM of the dealership. Ownership review will take some time due to launches and some other car's reviews all in my mind. Have been busy with the buying process all these days so after buying will update but review will be done after sometime. Same color i.e Silver and XZ(o) version in Petrol will be bought.

Regards

Akash

@onkurananda
As for the VIN number, 10th character in VIN should be E (May) F (Jun) and 12th character should be H (2017)
Hi,

I was wondering the VIN decoding for Tata cars was starting with MAT and the 10th character will speak of the year of manufacturing like A=2010 B=2011 likewise H=2017 and the 12th character would speak of the month of manufacturing like A=Jan,B=Feb likewise E=May.

Could somebody else confirm this? I read the same in tbhp website at this link ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN) - Team-BHP

Thanks

Top Bottom