My Precious Blue Diamond: Tata Nexon XZA+ AMT D

Many congratulations Ravi Sir. I'm was an ardent follower of your tlogs and ownership reviews on another popular automobile forum. In fact I wouldn't be wrong to say your ownership thread of Linea influenced me to convince my dad to pick up a Fiat. Wanted to follow your footsteps and buy an XUV but settled for an Ecosport due to lack of Vitamin M.

Wishing you many happy and fuss free miles ahead!

Cheers!

Thread Starter #18
I might have changed my cars over the years. But, one thing that is common to all my present and previous ones is my ex-Linea's OE ashtray, which I have kept as a souvenir. It occupies all my cars since 2009! The souvenir ashtray contains many miscellaneous things like insulation tape, tyre mouth caps, rubber bands, etc., except the ash! [:)][clap]

Ashtray Linea2.jpg
Ashtray XUV 500.jpg
DSC09373.JPG
DSC09376.JPG
IMG_6529.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG
IMG_6532.JPG
IMG_6535.JPG
IMG_6536.JPG

This is the AMT priming, so due to the Nexon's engine bay insulation, it would be a more muted sound.
Today, I heard that sound, when I opened the driver's side door. Thanks, Vinod.

Thanks a lot for the wishes, thegreatv.

Many congratulations
Thank you so much, prasadralf.

Thanks, harishankar.

Last edited:
Congratulations. The Nexon looks like a pretty promising product and with the AMT in both Diesel and Petrol, it is getting better.
Sheet metal thickness of the Nexon is reassuring I guess.

If I plan to Buy a new car, its definitely going to be a Compact SUV and Nexon will be in the Shortlist

Re: My Precious Blue Diamond: Nexon XZA+ AMT D

Congrats sir. Looks great in Blue. About Missing 12v socket, its Tata's old and bad behavior. Many new Tiago owners also complained of this. I totally ridicule Tata for taking away the features.
We took Tigor recently and were surprised to know that they have removed the rear charging point as cost cutting measure while their showroom display car had the same. We confronted the showroom sales manager for the same, they agreed to put the point in first service of my car. But yes, this is ridiculous to remove the basic features rather than adding to your best selling car.

I just can't think of how Tata or any other Car Manufacturer comes up with such ridiculous cost cutting measures? How much would they save this way?
But atleast it can be installed easily in the dealership, far better than Hyundai removing rear disc brakes on i20, Verna to cut cost and provide more interior features

One question, when you open the driver door the first time, do you hear a priming sound from the engine bay?
My Celerio AMT also emits the priming sound as soon as I open the door. The Renault Kwid AMT does not prime the AMT hydraulics and so it takes a few seconds to crank up AFAIK.
Tata and Maruti Suzuki both use Magneti Marelli AMT boxes so i guess its similar in case of priming

Congratulations sir . Superb review . IMO, you got a superb exchange value for XUV . The fact that it was immaculately maintained helped further.

Congratulations sir[clap]. Nexon looks amazing in blue though my personal favourite is the newly launched orange dual tone .
IMO, you got a superb exchange value for your XUV .
How accurate is the MID? Have heard people saying it shows 4-5 kmpl more . Is it any better in the AMT model ?

I think you all should write to Tata guys notifying this small feature which they are trying to remove. By removing this feature they may be saved only a couple of hundreds and not lots of money.

When they are selling 8/9 lakhs worth of car, what is the big difference in a couple of hundred rupees..!!
I have already written to Tata customer care but no response so far, any other email address of higher management which can be used.

Meet my precious Blue Diamond [Blue D]: Nexon XZA+ AMT Diesel, which is my first automatic, first compact SUV, first Tata car, first dual-tone, second blue shade, second car from the Ranjangaon plant of FCA-Tata Motors, the first one being my erstwhile Linea, second diesel, the first one being my former XUV 500, the third car manufactured in Maharashtra, the first two being my ex-Linea and XUV 500, the list goes on and on.

View attachment 245980

Accompanied by my wife and children, I took delivery of her on 6 July 2018, Friday evening from TAFE Access, Anna Salai, Chennai.

View attachment 245981
View attachment 245982
View attachment 245983

Earlier, I booked with an advance of ₹ 10 k on 14 June 2018 after a long test-drive on the beautiful roads of Marina beach as I was fully impressed with the top AMT variant. In 2017, I had 3 test-drives of XZ+ diesel variant, one each with Concorde, Guindy, Chennai, Concorde, Mysore Road, Bangalore and Prerana, Lal Bagh Road, Bangalore. But then, I decided to wait for the launch of AMT variant. My expectation was fulfilled only in July, 2018.

View attachment 245984

Out of 76 k km, my ex XUV 500 must have carried 6/7/8 persons for a distance less than 5% and 5 persons or less for the remaining 95%. So, being a 7-seater was only a bonus for me. A 5-seater is okay for my requirement. XUV 500 was very difficult to drive and park in the cities. Even while coming from Bangalore to Chennai, I used to pray the Almighty for the last few hundred metres, where I had to drive slowly and carefully from TTK Road to my street in Royapettah even in the small hours of the day. I had parked XUV 500 with great difficulty in Ladybird Hotel, Shillong, with pillars very close to it on both the sides. So, I was badly in need of a compact SUV like Nexon! I did not like the thin sheet-metal, hatchback door-mounted spare wheel and featureless and price-rich competitors to Nexon in the compact SUV segment. So, it was Nexon and Nexon only right from the day one. So, I did not test-drive any car other than Nexon.

View attachment 245985

Self and wife visited Concorde, Guindy, Chennai on 22 Sep 2017, test-drove Nexon diesel XZ+ for the first time for about 5 km in busy Chennai evening peak hour traffic in all the 3 modes, eco, city and sport and returned home fully satisfied. Two more test-drives followed in Bangalore. Considering MT to AMT, 78 BHP/ton to 83 BHP/ton and 185 NM/ton to 199 NM/ton, Harman sound system and smart key/wearable key-based start-stop system, Blue D is surely an upgrade from my erstwhile XUV 500 W8. I will surely miss cruise control in Blue D, but then, I cannot have the cake and eat it too!

View attachment 245986

Side-by-side, I was making enquiries for selling my ex 76 k km, 4.5-year-old XUV 500 and got the best exchange price at ₹ 8 lakhs. Immediately, I inked the deal. Mr R Kirubakar, Customer Advisor of TAFE Access assured me that I would get the car on or before 14 July 2018 but delivered it one week before the deadline.

View attachment 245987

I met Blue D on 30 June 2018 for the first time at the Nungambakkam yard of the dealer for PDI. Mr Kirubakar assured us that we would get our Blue D after a week after registration. He also got me free insurance, corporate discount of ₹ 3 k and mats and mudflaps. I did not opt for extended warranty and AMC. He frankly confessed that the handling charges could not be waived off due to company policies, and instead, got me the corporate discount and accessories. I paid the total on-road price of ₹ 12,48,659 including TN RTO road tax of ₹ 1,58,917 and tax collected at source at ₹ 10,719. I did not visit the dealer’s showroom even once during the waiting period. Mr Kirubakar, a fine gentleman, visited my home several times and took care of the documentation and payment. I visited the showroom only on 6 July 2018 to take delivery of Blue D.

View attachment 245988
View attachment 245989

Delivery experience was good at the showroom. A simple puja was done and Blue D was handed over. Mr Kirubakar explained the features and handed over the documents. A few photos were clicked and I drove via Marina beach and Mylapore to my home at Royapettah. Now, I am getting acquainted with Android Auto and other features of Blue D. I learnt from the social media that rear 12v charger is discontinued in the new XZA+ AMT. Even Blue D does not have the rear charger. Mr Kirubakar was also not aware of this.

View attachment 245990
View attachment 245991

After driving Blue D for about 50 km on the busy roads of Chennai for two days, the following are my initial likes and dislikes. First, my initial likes [clap]:

• Got impressed with AMT, especially the creep feature that allowed me to crawl in the busy Pondy Bazaar and Arcot Road in the evening. My left hand and leg were spared of gear-shifting and pressing clutch pedal. Superb.
• Tested the wearable key for a full day without carrying the spare smart key. Mr Kirubakar had earlier informed me that wearable key enables only access and for starting Blue D, I require smart key! But, I drove many km with wearable key only. The smart key was left at home. Since I was the first customer, who bought XZA+ AMT D from the dealer, he was not aware of the full potential of the wearable key. Fully satisfied.
• Auto-opening and auto-closing ORVM happens, when I start the engine and lock the car using driver-side door sensor with wearable key. Fantastic.
• Harman sound system was brilliant, far better than my previous XUV 500 and Linea.

View attachment 245992
View attachment 245993

Here are my initial dislikes [anger]:

• Felt very sad to note that rear 12V charger was missing in my Blue D. The initial batch of XZA+AMT had this. Very bad.
• There is no cabin light for the rear passengers. Another instance of unjustified cost-cutting. Not at all comfortable.
• I miss cruise-control. AMT+cruise control will make a great combination on a highway. When one of the fastest selling competitor is providing it, why not Tata Motors?
• Mirroring offline Navi Maps of my paired phone on the infotainment screen was not possible. I have to use the online Google Maps only using Android Auto.

View attachment 245994
View attachment 245995

A new journey has started, literally and metaphorically.
Wow!! An excellent review sir of your new possession.
Sir, who wouldn't want to give an excellent deal for the well maintained XUV with those Michelin's.[cheers]
Subscribing to this thread for updates.

Hearty Congratulations Ravi sir.

I too am a fan of AMT's as I badly need one for my wife, as she's too bad with manual transmissions, whereas she's very comfortable with automatic tranny's, even be it a D segmenter.

In affordability point of view, AMT is my only reach as of now. And my next upgrade should be something which I can drive without having to worry about the sky rocketing petrol prices ( I currently own Santro Xing 2013 Petrol GL Plus, having clocked 31.5k in 64 months usage).

So when Diesel and an affordable automatic has to be together, choices are too limited. I can start counting from Swift D AMT/ Ignis D AMT/ Tata Zest D AMT and now Nexon AMT Diesel.

Someone in this forum said Orange is his favorite color. Yes mine too and it is real sexy and gorgeous to drive a compact SUV from an Indian manufacturer in that orange shade.

I would very humbly request you to keep updating this thread as and when you have time from your tight schedules and business. I may be a future owner of one.

But, 12.5 L seems little pricey. Any idea, sir, from what price the AMT Diesel version of Nexon starts in terms of on road price?

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Top Bottom