Maruti Ertiga VS Mahindra Xylo

Which is better?

• Total voters
@raj- very good comparison ,straight to the point with facts. Agree with every word u said. Common sense in this case suggests to go as per your views, But there still shall be some die hard fans of the japs.( I know a couple of guys selling their 87 model maruti 800s and gypsys boasting of a "made in japan" engine).

^^^ Thank you buddy.

I think that people buy a 7 seater for utility rather than looks.

I heard that, to fold the third row seats in the Ertiga, you have to push the second row forward which leaves with very little leg room in the second row. Then what is the purpose of such a vehicle? Where is the utility? You either get legroom in the second row without boot space or you get cramped in the second row with lots of boot space!

Even if we dont compare it with Xylo & if we considere it as an upgrade from a sedan, whats the use when you cant use that legroom in the middle row?

No doubt, this vehicle would be way ahead in terms of ride, handling & fuel efficiency when compared to Xylo, but what about utility?

Going to check the car today. Will probably get a clear idea then.

I think that people buy a 7 seater for utility rather than looks.

I heard that, to fold the third row seats in the Ertiga, you have to push the second row forward which leaves with very little leg room in the second row. Then what is the purpose of such a vehicle? Where is the utility? You either get legroom in the second row without boot space or you get cramped in the second row with lots of boot space!

Even if we dont compare it with Xylo & if we considere it as an upgrade from a sedan, whats the use when you cant use that legroom in the middle row?

No doubt, this vehicle would be way ahead in terms of ride, handling & fuel efficiency when compared to Xylo, but what about utility?

Going to check the car today. Will probably get a clear idea then.
Right you are,7 seater is always bought for utility.
Instead Ertiga is more like a 5 seater with a big boot and two seats are placed there for proving it a 'seven' seater.

Ertiga has got the 185 section tyres,in other words its terribly under tyred,then its front wheel drive.
Buddy this car will offer ride and handling only until its loaded with seven passengers and driving on highways.I am sure this car is going to give nightmares to the driver driving it on hilly roads with seven people on board.Why?Because while ascending the steep slopes the front wheels will try their best to revolt.

Ertiga is more like a 5 seater with a big boot and two seats are placed there for proving it a 'seven' seater.
Its not even a proper 5 seater as can be seen below.

I had a look at the Ertiga today and came back totally disappointed.

This car is not meant for tall people. I am 6'2". When the last row is folded, the middle row has to be pushed forward, so much that there is no space in the middle row. With an driver of average height in front, I had a tough time sitting in the middle row. If I sit in the driver's seat, it is impossible for anyone to sit behind me.

Pics of myself sitting in the middle row with an average driver/person in front -

DSC_1119.jpg
DSC_1121.jpg

Coming to the third row, if I cant sit in the middle row, less said about the third row, the better! In the second row, 3 adults cant sit comfortably too.

The issue with the Ertiga is - it is neither a proper 5 seater nor a proper 7 seater. It is somewhere in between. Just after sitting in the Ertiga, we went to check out the Xylo. And it was tremendously spacious, when compared to the Ertiga. Infact, even the 3rd row of Xylo is more spacious than the 2nd row of Ertiga (with Ertiga's 3rd row folded).

On road prices Mumbai:

Ertiga :

LXi - 691134
VXi - 752981
ZXi - 849114
LDi - 853251
VDi - 922147
ZDi - 981349

Xylo :

D2 - 853503
D4 - 900797
E4 - 941340
E4 ABS - 971052
E8 ABS - 1056284
E8 ABS AIRBAG - 1100872
E9 mHawk - 1204499

I dont see any reason why you should buy the Ertiga unless you are buying a petrol car or you are a Maruti loyalist. As said before, spec to spec, the Ertiga VDi compares with Xylo E4 ABS. Xylo costs 49k more, which I feel is worth it, considering you get a more powerful engine, proper AC vents in rear seats, much more space & genuine 3 rows of seating. If you are comparing ZDi with E8, then of course the Xylo is much more expensive since the E8 is feature loaded.

Waiting period in Mumbai for Eritga :

Diesel = 5-6 months
Petrol = 3-4 months

Last edited:
Its not even a proper 5 seater as can be seen below.

I had a look at the Ertiga today and came back totally disappointed.

In the second row, 3 adults cant sit comfortably
Your post with pictures confirmed my initial impression.

Waiting period in Mumbai for Eritga :

Diesel = 5-6 months
Petrol = 3-4 months
Why this kolaveri (artificial waiting period) ?
Waiting period is announced while launching itself.

Imagine a family of 6 medium sized individuals mom dad, wife and 2 kids height average height of the family is say 5.7 , want ease of driving, parking I think the ertiga will suit there needs precisely and I think that is the segment maruti is looking for . If space and utility is a major priority they must look for grande or xylo or Innova .

Imagine a family of 6 medium sized individuals mom dad, wife and 2 kids height average height of the family is say 5.7 , want ease of driving, parking I think the ertiga will suit there needs precisely and I think that is the segment maruti is looking for . If space and utility is a major priority they must look for grande or xylo or Innova .
Let us consider your above mentioned family :

Husband in the driver's seat
Father in the front passenger seat
Mom and wife in the middle row
Kids in the last row

Perfect.

Now, lets us consider the same family. It is not every time that all the 6 people will travel together. Most of the time, it will be 3-4 people in the car. So they will keep the 3rd row folded most of the times, for luggage, of course. Now, to keep the 3rd row folded, you have to move the second row ahead. Which means mom & wife will have to live with hatchback kind of legroom always, inspite of spending close to 9 Lacs.

OR... If the 3 row is never folded - mom & wife will be happy. But what if you have to keep 4 suitcases for an airport trip? Where will you accommodate that now?

Simple ertiga is not perfect ,overall I just don't like the ertiga concept ,its somewhere stuck in the middle and looks only good in some situtions and loses in most.

@Raj:
It looks like you did a quite good check up of the Ertiga.
So how is the positioning of the steering,gear lever and paddles,in other words how is the driving position?I think it must be more sedan like(in fact not even sedan,but like a mutated hatch) as compared to SUVish.

Secondly,is Ertiga available with the second row seats as captain seats too like Xylo,Innova etc or you have to live with the bench seat only?
Well,now the Xylo has started looking even more VFM.

And at last:How is the dash plastic quality and overall interior quality in the Ertiga(I think it may be better than Xylo)?

Let us consider your above mentioned family :

Husband in the driver's seat
Father in the front passenger seat
Mom and wife in the middle row
Kids in the last row

Perfect.

Now, lets us consider the same family. It is not every time that all the 6 people will travel together. Most of the time, it will be 3-4 people in the car. So they will keep the 3rd row folded most of the times, for luggage, of course. Now, to keep the 3rd row folded, you have to move the second row ahead. Which means mom & wife will have to live with hatchback kind of legroom always, inspite of spending close to 9 Lacs.

OR... If the 3 row is never folded - mom & wife will be happy. But what if you have to keep 4 suitcases for an airport trip? Where will you accommodate that now?
I did the same arrangement as in the pics you have posted. I did not find any space crunch. People with height of 5'10" were comfortable in 2nd row. Even though it may not be the most spacious 2nd row with that arrangement, but is not cramped either. Regarding 3rd row folded, on removing the head-rests, you get 1-2 inches more. I did not find it much of an issue for average height family.

@Raj:
So how is the positioning of the steering,gear lever and paddles,in other words how is the driving position?I think it must be more sedan like(in fact not even sedan,but like a mutated hatch) as compared to SUVish.

Secondly,is Ertiga available with the second row seats as captain seats too like Xylo,Innova etc or you have to live with the bench seat only?
Well,now the Xylo has started looking even more VFM.

And at last:How is the dash plastic quality and overall interior quality in the Ertiga(I think it may be better than Xylo)?
The steering can be adjusted, gear lever position is comfortable. Paddles are at a little painful position for me. But overall, you do not feel as you are driving a bigger car. It is just like a hatch/sedan due to seating height.

@Raj:
Driving position is spot on. It is not sedan like. It is more like a tall boy hatch, like Ritz. The front seats have a lot of travel.

Only bench seats, no captain seats.

Great plastic & build quality. Yes, I sat in the top end of Ertiga and base variant of Xylo. Ertiga did seem better. I did not check the top end Xylo.

Thread Starter #42
The issue with the Ertiga is - it is neither a proper 5 seater nor a proper 7 seater.
Agree, Checked out yesterday. 6 ft+ people will not able to sit comfortably in 2nd and 3rd row.
But 5.7 will sit properly.
Also in 2nd row 3 average build people can not sit properly. It is for 2 people.
Overall interior quality is same a swift.

Agree, Checked out yesterday. 6 ft+ people will not able to sit comfortably in 2nd and 3rd row.
But 5.7 will sit properly.
Also in 2nd row 3 average build people can not sit properly. It is for 2 people.
Overall interior quality is same a swift.
Completely agree. But then how many families have all 6 ft+ members? For others it is just right.
Also agree to the point about 3 people in 2nd row. But the width is exactly same as the Swift. Let's not even compare it with other hatches like Santro, Wagon-R etc. who have even worse space for 3 passengers in rear-seat.

Completely agree. But then how many families have all 6 ft+ members? For others it is just right.
It is not necessary that all members should be 6+ feet buddy. If I sit in the driver's seat and the 3rd row is folded, passengers in the 2nd row will have a very tough time.

Also agree to the point about 3 people in 2nd row. But the width is exactly same as the Swift. Let's not even compare it with other hatches like Santro, Wagon-R etc. who have even worse space for 3 passengers in rear-seat.
Point is - when you are getting the comfort of a Swift, why pay Xylo rivaling money?

It is not necessary that all members should be 6+ feet buddy. If I sit in the driver's seat and the 3rd row is folded, passengers in the 2nd row will have a very tough time.

Point is - when you are getting the comfort of a Swift, why pay Xylo rivaling money?
I am 6 ft tall. I adjusted driver's seat to my comfort & then asked my dad who is 5'10" to sit in seat behind me with 3rd row folded. The leg-space was fine for him.

I am not comparing Ertiga with Xylo for diesel variants. But for petrol variant, I am getting all bells & whistles for less money.

Top Bottom