Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

well its like buying time before changing your oil filter and engine oil completely as per you car manual . still it should be avoided atleast that what my mechanic said but can be done to save engine

Just a quick update : 28th December 2010

Odo reading : 53281

Since it had done nearly 5000 kms from the previous service, I checked the engine oil level and it was about 1cm away from the minimum gauge mark. Visited the India Garage showroom, (the same place where I got it serviced before) and was told by the SA that he would do a 'Top-Up' of 1 litre. Checked with him a couple of times, if it was recommended and he said there is absolutely no problem. The cost was 250/- and got the car back in an hour.

I'm still unclear about the 'Topping-up' the engine oil part. Since the existing oil in the engine has been used for quite some time and then adding fresh oil to it, wont it cause any harm? [confused]
Avinash as per my view hawk requires 6 litres, But my A.S.S (Sireesh Auto) used to charge me for 7 litres.
But they used to fill 6.5 litres.
I am unable to understand what they might have done during your last service.
As with my vehicle there was nothing like Engine oil top up.
First change was done with the new vehicle when it clocked 5000 kms,
Then at 17600 kms as mine had not done 20k kms during service, they had changed the oil .
After that service i have never bothered to fill engine oil.
Thats what i follow.
Till the next 35000 kms there is no need of Engine oil change is my view.
Thats what i had heard from A.S.S( S.K.S).

Hmmm i also have not topped up engine oils in both my cars till now. I check in my Verna sometimes and it used to be almost full always!

Thread Starter #94
The SA was sounded confident and said this is what they do to all cars. I'm only hoping that mixing the already used oil with fresh oil, would not cause any harm on a long run, though it was just 1 litre.

@ Mukesh : Yes, I was told to change the Oil, Filter etc only once in 15000 Kms. So, mine would be at 63k.

Hmmm i also have not topped up engine oils in both my cars till now. I check in my Verna sometimes and it used to be almost full always!
Dhaya, when you get the car serviced the next time, please have a casual check with your SA about topping up the engine oil. My friend who owns a Swift VDI, said they do a top up as well, once every 5K.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right Avindu! My SA for my Verna told me to change the engine oil and filter for every 5k KMS to increase life![surprise]

I somehow don want to follow that because its clearly mentioned that oil change is required only for every 10k KMS in the manual. I feel they are telling to top-up and change oil soon just to get some extra cash from us!

Just a quick update : 28th December 2010

Odo reading : 53281

Since it had done nearly 5000 kms from the previous service, I checked the engine oil level and it was about 1cm away from the minimum gauge mark. Visited the India Garage showroom, (the same place where I got it serviced before) and was told by the SA that he would do a 'Top-Up' of 1 litre. Checked with him a couple of times, if it was recommended and he said there is absolutely no problem. The cost was 250/- and got the car back in an hour.

I'm still unclear about the 'Topping-up' the engine oil part. Since the existing oil in the engine has been used for quite some time and then adding fresh oil to it, wont it cause any harm? [confused]
Hi avindu, today while cleaning hawk, I just checked the engine oil level.
There was 3 markings.
The engine oil was about 3/4 th.

My question How do you know which marking is the full level.
As there was 3 markings.
Assuming the 3rd marking to be the top level.
The engine oil is at 3/4 th level, in my case.

Thread Starter #97
You are right Avindu! My SA for my Verna told me to change the engine oil and filter for every 5k KMS to increase life![surprise]

I somehow don want to follow that because its clearly mentioned that oil change is required only for every 10k KMS in the manual. I feel they are telling to top-up and change oil soon just to get some extra cash from us!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure, they just want to make a quick buck. Anyway, have you checked the oil dip-stick, after running 4k or 5k kms? Does it decrease considerably or remains b/w the low and high marks?

Hi avindu, today while cleaning hawk, I just checked the engine oil level.
There was 3 markings.
The engine oil was about 3/4 th.

My question How do you know which marking is the full level.
As there was 3 markings.
Assuming the 3rd marking to be the top level.
The engine oil is at 3/4 th level, in my case.
Did you see it on the oil dip-stick? I'm sure there should be just two. The one on the top is for 'high' and if the oil level goes down below the 'minimum', you need to get it checked. Please take a picture and share it. I'll do the same and post it.

Yes Avindu i have checked even after 8k KMS and it will just be a tad below the F mark. So i never felt the need to top-up at any point of time.

Re: From German Engineering to Korean Beauty to Finally the "Indian" Beast!

Dhaya, when you get the car serviced the next time, please have a casual check with your SA about topping up the engine oil. My friend who owns a Swift VDI, said they do a top up as well, once every 5K.
This is a common practice. Top up is done if the engine oil level gets lowered and the condition of the oil is good. Theres nothing wrong in this practice. However topping up engine oil even after the car has done 10k (or recommended kms as per manufacturer) is definitely a bad practice which is quite common among the Taxi drivers here.

Thread Starter #100
First glitch

Odo Reading : 55470

Kms Interval since last service : 7200 approx

Problem : Oil leakage from the bottom of the clutch.

This is my first issue, since the time of purchase and complete 5 months, today. Last evening, I found some amount of oil on the foot mat. I used a torch to check if there was any oil leaking, but there was nothing noticeable (nor any oil dipping). I cleaned the mat to check if it might leak overnight, however dint find any oil in the morning. However after I reached work, there was a small amount of oil on the mat again.

There is no problem in shifting gears, but there is an unusal noise that I noticed since yesterday, when in 2nd gear. In slow moving traffic, when the clutch is released about half way, there is this 'belt moving' noice (something like gueeen). Not sure if this has something to do with the clutch cylinder or something else.

Guys, please share your thoughts on this.

Sad to hear that your facing your first repair.

I have no idea about your problem , from where can oil leak inside? All these years none of our cars have faced this problem! Let's wait for Raj and Ilango's comment!

May be the clutch requires clutch bleeding.
I think it needs immediate attention.
One question have you ever strained the clutch recently during long trip.
I mean moving the vehicle on 2nd gear when stand still or uphill.

Is the leakage from inside or outside.

Did you visit India Garage?

I suggest you to give your vehicle to SKS next time.

Thread Starter #103
Issue resolved

Visited the IG showroom, last evening. The SA, the moment he opened the hood, found the issue to be with the oil. He said this has to be replaced once every 40K Kms. The following is the cost of the replacement parts :

M C Assy : 1483.79
Clutch tube slave oil : 176.12
Metal rust remover : 550

Total (including Tax) : 2400

Also the noise from the 2nd gear does not exist anymore. Fortunately no issues with the clutch plate and the SA said there is no problem with it.

Sad to hear that your facing your first repair.

I have no idea about your problem , from where can oil leak inside? All these years none of our cars have faced this problem! Let's wait for Raj and Ilango's comment!
Yeah, I found it unusal too. Drove to work this morning and there was no problem. So, its fixed for now [;)]

May be the clutch requires clutch bleeding.
I think it needs immediate attention.
One question have you ever strained the clutch recently during long trip.
I mean moving the vehicle on 2nd gear when stand still or uphill.

Is the leakage from inside or outside.

Did you visit India Garage?

I suggest you to give your vehicle to SKS next time.
No bro, I seldom rev the engine. I shift all the gears between the 1700 to 2000 rpm. The culprit seems to have been the oil and needed replacement.

@Avindu: Good to know that issue has been solved.

Even mine too.

Hello Avinash, I would like to know whether you have changed the immobilizer code of the hawk.
My self & Raj are aware of it.
This thought came to my mind while cleaning the hawk.
Any way if you have not got it done visit your A.S.S.
I bet the previous owner might not have got that done.

Top Bottom