Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

Hey guys i asked my dealer and he said that some kind of device is now available and by using it the steering controls will work , not very sure about it though!

Yes Avindu Steering control doesn't works.
Dhaya you have to spend some cool 6.5 k to get that steering controls worked.
Some china made stuff's are used.

Even i am visiting some ICE shops, to check whether they have done the work on Scorpio -Vlx, And how succesful they were able to restore it after changing the HU.

Only after that i will plan one.

What , 6.5k??!! I thought it will cost just a few hundred bucks! I too enquired about this long back when i was about to buy Fortuner which had a bad HU!

The OEM Mahindra head unit lacked some features and the output was not that great. So decided to change both the head unit and the rear speakers.

Dealer name & address :

Throttle : 6th block, Jayanagar.

Head Unit :

Pioneer FH-P6050UB

Checked Alpine, Pioneer, JVC and Sony, but this one caught my attention. It does the basic, supports MP3, USB, iPod but its Double-Din design looked neat.

Cost :

Rs.9700/-

Got the Mahindra's head unit exchanged for 2500. So, paid Rs.7200.

Pics :

View attachment 13539

View attachment 13540

View attachment 13541

Speakers :

Polk Audio : 6.75" DB675

Cost :

Rs. 5300/-

View attachment 13542

View attachment 13543
Hey Avinash is this(Throttle) showroom just besides Popular Bajaj, near yediyur.?

Thread Starter #84
Hey Avinash is this(Throttle) showroom just besides Popular Bajaj, near yediyur.?
Yes, that's the one [;)]
-----------Next Post-----------
For Pioneer HU we get steering remote INR1000-1300. But not sure for Scorpio OEM HU.
It looks very awkward and installing it on the steering wheel is a complication, during driving. Guess have to live without the controls [frustration]
Yesterday, filled the tyres with nitrogen! Costed 30 bucks/tyre. The person incharge said, its useful in highways, as the tyres heat up on long journeys and this helps in keeping it cool.

Wonder if this helps in mileage too [confused]

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one [;)]

It looks very awkward and installing it on the steering wheel is a complication, during driving. Guess have to live without the controls [frustration]
Yesterday, filled the tyres with nitrogen! Costed 30 bucks/tyre. The person incharge said, its useful in highways, as the tyres heat up on long journeys and this helps in keeping it cool.

Wonder if this helps in mileage too [confused]
Where did you got it filled Avinash.
Hope he deflated the tyre completely by creating vaccum, before filling.
Which removes moisture.

Thread Starter #86
Where did you got it filled Avinash.
Hope he deflated the tyre completely by creating vaccum, before filling.
Which removes moisture.
The place is called 'Tyrecare'. Its near Varthur, on the way to my workplace. Yes he inflated the tyres and then filled it.

One advantage is, you dont have to regularly check the air pressure. Ideally with nitrogen you can run atleast 3 months.

Avindu have you checked the car's stability at high speeds with Nitrogen? Any differences? And also any difference seen when going over bad roads?

Avindu have you checked the car's stability at high speeds with Nitrogen? Any differences? And also any difference seen when going over bad roads?
Dhaya main difference of filling nitrogen is the tyre wont heat when you are on a long drives.
With normal air the tyre pressure used to go upto 38 psi.
But with nitrogen it remains 34.5 psi approx even after long drives & tyre wont bulge as with normal air.
Well Scorpio is very well stable at high speeds.
I myself have done 160kmph on it with no issues.
Goin over bad roads if the tyre has more air then ride would be bumpy.
As pressure remains well within 34 after tyre heats, good ride is ensured.
And Manufacturer reccomendation for all tyre is 32psi in cold condition.

Thread Starter #89
Have been driving only in the city (max. 80kmph), but I felt its much more smoother and on bad roads as well. For example, with normal air the ride seemed to be quite bouncy on bad roads, but with Nitrogen, it feels more planted types.

Will be heading out on a long journey in a couple of weeks. I'll check the air pressure, after I return and check if its come down or remains the same [;)]

Dhaya main difference of filling nitrogen is the tyre wont heat when you are on a long drives.
Yeah, that's what I was told too and dont bother checking the tyre pressure for atleast 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #90
Just a quick update : 28th December 2010

Odo reading : 53281

Since it had done nearly 5000 kms from the previous service, I checked the engine oil level and it was about 1cm away from the minimum gauge mark. Visited the India Garage showroom, (the same place where I got it serviced before) and was told by the SA that he would do a 'Top-Up' of 1 litre. Checked with him a couple of times, if it was recommended and he said there is absolutely no problem. The cost was 250/- and got the car back in an hour.

I'm still unclear about the 'Topping-up' the engine oil part. Since the existing oil in the engine has been used for quite some time and then adding fresh oil to it, wont it cause any harm? [confused]

Top Bottom