i10 Winter Trip (Dec-2011): Delhi - Rishikesh - Auli - Lansdowne - Delhi

Thread Starter #33
Day-5 contd...

Kindly find below the pics of GMVN Ski Resort Auli, amazing place to stay especially in winters:

DSC03632.JPG

DSC03641.jpg

DSC03642.jpg

DSC03644.JPG

DSC03647.JPG

DSC03650.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

This post concludes our Day-5 log will post Day-6 log tomorrow.

Thread Starter #34
Day-6

Date: 29-12-2011
Day: Thursday
Route taken: Joshimath-Nandprayag-Karnaprayag–Rudraprayag-Srinagar
Destination: GMVN Srinagar
Start Odo: 4597
End Odo: 4742
Total KM: 145
Number of Halts: 1
Start time: 09:00 AM
End Time: 3:00 PM
Total Hrs: 6 Hrs
Total halt time: Half n Hr

Started by 9:00AM from Joshimath and reached Srinagar by 3:00PM, taken a fuel break and a maggi break en route, most of the route was empty but very scenic as usual, now i was familiar with the route little bit so drive was fast paced compare to the onward drive. Srinagar was quite a large town and largest district of Garhwal region.

Please find day6 pics below:

DSC03652.jpg

DSC03668.JPG

DSC03671.JPG

DSC03672.JPG

DSC03676.JPG

DSC03679.jpg

DSC03684.JPG

DSC03700.JPG

Vibhor how far is Haridwar from Delhi?

Can one go upto Haridwar by car?

As i heard its a hilly region.
Well,Haridwar lies just near the valley,so you can say that most of it is plains but hills are visible just in front of you.
Its about 220 kms from Delhi and takes some 4-5 hours to reach in busy hours and 3-4 hours in early morning drives.Although the road is quite good but there is excessive load of traffic(its felt once you come on dual carriageway)and some totally broken roads too.
One can easily go there by car,no issues at all.
There is a place called Chandi Ghat in Haridwar from where a narrow road goes to Rishikesh via Chilla dam,that is amongst my favorite roads and is really very much scenic with pure natural beauty all around and the Ganga river flowing just 5-6 meters away from your car..the serenity and vegetation of this place will make you forget everything.simply mind blowing road it is.And it has some most adventurous parts of the hilly drive too with a narrow road passing through sense forest with some steep inclines and curves.

In fact,if you plan to visit Haridwar the I'd advise you to come to Dehradun instead of Delhi by train or by air(don't know if flights are available from your place)and then get an Innova from there(for about 13-15 rs/km)and then enjoy the place.Dehradun is about 50 kms from Haridwar.

Today we are very excited for our Auli visit but to our disappointment there is no snow fall. We wake up by 8:00AM and able to start our journey to Joshimath by 9:00AM by hired local vehicle. We were told by hotel staff and others that we can easily do this journey by our own vehicle but I don’t wanna take any chance and wanna enjoy our visit rather than stuck in any unforeseen situation again. Our ride is quite scenic and smooth. Auli is just 14Km from Joshimath, our driver for the day is quite experienced and had quite good knowledge about the place; he was also our local guide for the day. After reaching Auli I realized that our vehicle can easily make out till here, but to add that road is quite narrow, slippery and steep at some places also there was ice formations on the road but I must say overall a very good experience.

Taken the lift car to Auli from GMVN Ski resort and reached there is no time. Mountain View from here is quite good but without Ice there is no excitement. Stroll here and there for quite some time and after that enjoyed maggi and tea at shop there overall a wonderful experience.

Will move towards Srinagar tomorrow morning.
These days you won't find any much snow in Auli,for that purpose you need to visit there in December or January.
I have once visited there in snowfall and can say that driving in snow is very joyful,you just need to be quite attentive and slow.But at the same time,if the snow has got older and mist has fallen on it then its very dangerous and slippery to drive.
Plan your next trip in December or January especially at the time you get the news of snowfall in Mussoorie.Go to Srinagar and hire a Bolero or Innova for going to Auli.The drivers of those places are pros in snow driving.

Driving to Auli is a great experience and you missed it buddy,also why haven't you people took your car up there to GMVN resort?
There is a narrow road which goes up there.I take that way itself as driving up there is very much joyful.

Started by 9:00AM from Joshimath and reached Srinagar by 3:00PM, taken a fuel break and a maggi break en route, most of the route was empty but very scenic as usual, now i was familiar with the route little bit so drive was fast paced compare to the onward drive. Srinagar was quite a large town and largest district of Garhwal region.
Srinagar,well you may have missed the 'Dhari Devi' temple,its a temple just outside the Srinagar and is situated in the middle of Alaknanda river.Or say on the banks of river because its designed in a way that it looks like its in middle.
There you could have found pythons etc.
Srinagar is the largets hilly district in Uttarakhand and has got quite good roads considering the hilly roads,on those roads you can do upto 80-90 kph easily on some stretches.

Thread Starter #37
Plan your next trip in December or January especially at the time you get the news of snowfall in Mussoorie.Go to Srinagar and hire a Bolero or Innova for going to Auli.The drivers of those places are pros in snow driving.

Driving to Auli is a great experience and you missed it buddy,also why haven't you people took your car up there to GMVN resort?
There is a narrow road which goes up there.I take that way itself as driving up there is very much joyful.

Srinagar,well you may have missed the 'Dhari Devi' temple,its a temple just outside the Srinagar and is situated in the middle of Alaknanda river.Or say on the banks of river because its designed in a way that it looks like its in middle.
There you could have found pythons etc.
Srinagar is the largets hilly district in Uttarakhand and has got quite good roads considering the hilly roads,on those roads you can do upto 80-90 kph easily on some stretches.
We visited in last week of December, i suggest you to visit Auli in Jan if you want to see snow.

Anyone can drive till Auli but at that i am not sure about the the exact condition of the road and black ice though hotel staff told us to go by car.

Missed the 'Dhari Devi' temple

Most of the roads are in good condition but lots of road widening work was going on at the time of our visit.

We visited in last week of December, i suggest you to visit Auli in Jan if you want to see snow.

Anyone can drive till Auli but at that i am not sure about the the exact condition of the road and black ice though hotel staff told us to go by car.

Missed the 'Dhari Devi' temple

Most of the roads are in good condition but lots of road widening work was going on at the time of our visit.
Well,then it was your bad luck,rest you should have kept the track of snowfall.This year it occurred in starting of December and mid January I guess.

Plan your next trip to Badrinath and include the famous valley of flowers(phoolon ki ghaati)too in your schedule.You will need on total 8-10 days for full trip.If planned then contact me for any guidance.
Rest Badrinath and Gangotri are my per year trips and this year too a bike trip will be done.
Here is a pic of the valley(source google):

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39
Well,then it was your bad luck,rest you should have kept the track of snowfall.This year it occurred in starting of December and mid January I guess.
Yes we are quite unlucky, we stayed in Joshimath till 29th Dec'2011 and no snowfall was reported till 31st Dec'2011.

Last year snowfall started on 31st Dec'2010 as informed by Joshimath hotel staff.

Thread Starter #40
Day-6 contd...

Pics of GMVN Srinagar below:

It is a nice place for night halt, local market is good food was also good, hotel was neat and clean. If you start in the morning from Delhi for your Auli trip you can break your journey in Srinagar then start next morning to reach Joshimath by early evening, you will also enjoy journey.

Fourth pic is of Srinagar local market

DSC03766.jpg

DSC03770.JPG

DSC03774.jpg

IMG00837-20111229-1602.jpg

IMG00839-20111229-1613.jpg

IMG00840-20111229-1614.jpg

Above post concludes day6 of our trip will start day7 log tomorrow.

Day-7 will cover our journey towards Lansdowne from Srinagar (Pauri Garhwal).

Thanks for your support

Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
Day-7

Date: 30-12-2011
Day: Friday
Route taken: Srinagar-Pauri-Jwalpa Devi-Ghumkhal-Lansdowne
Destination: GMVN Tip N Top Lansdowne
Start Odo: 4742
End Odo: 4852
Total KM: 110
Number of Halts: Nil
Start time: 10:00 AM
End Time: 1:30 PM
Total Hrs: 3:30 Hrs

Started from GMVN Srinagar by 10:00AM, morning was quite cold road from Srinagar to Pauri was in great shape except initial few rough patches newly laid tarmac made route more scenic. I must say route was very scenic. After Pauri road condition was very bad, it’s very narrow and lots of dust and stone was lying on road. After Satpuli road condition improves and was quite good and scenic too till Lansdowne, but road was full of twist, sharp and narrow bends till Lansdowne.

Reached GMVN Lansdowne by 1:30PM and had lunch there. GMVN Tip n Top is located at best location in Lansdowne, surroundings are quite and scenic no doubt about that. Huts were cute and small but very chilled.

Find below pics of Day 7 from Srinagar to Lansdowne

DSC03797.JPG

DSC03798.jpg

DSC03815.JPG

DSC03816.jpg

DSC03844.JPG

DSC03849.JPG

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03861.jpg

Thread Starter #44
Day-7 contd...

Day-7 pics contd below from Srinagar to Lansdowne

DSC04053.JPG

DSC04054.JPG

DSC04055.JPG

DSC04060.jpg

DSC04066.JPG

DSC04071.JPG

Will post GMVN Tip N Top pics soon

Thread Starter #45
Day-7 contd...

Find below the pics of GMVN Tip N Top Lansdowne

Located at one of the best location of Lansdowne, they have Deluxe hut and machan hut to offer neat and clean place food was also good, no intercom facility so have to rush for every order.

DSC04073.JPG

You will see this when you reach at Tip n Top

DSC04077.JPG

Our deluxe hut at TipnTop

DSC04079.JPG

Main reception area

DSC04093.JPG

Deluxe hut room view from inside

DSC04095.JPG

Machan hut

DSC04097.JPG

TipnTop view point

DSC04103.JPG

View from TipnTop

DSC04104.JPG

View from our deluxe hut

Above post concludes the day-7 will post day-8 log tomorrow!

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

[:)]

Top Bottom