i10 Winter Trip (Dec-2011): Delhi - Rishikesh - Auli - Lansdowne - Delhi

Thread Starter #16
Day-2 Pics contd...

Our destination for day-2 GMVN Ganga Resort, very nice place to stay if you are in Rishikesh!

Day2_27.JPG

Day2_28.JPG

Day2_32.JPG

Day2_33.JPG

Day2_34.JPG

Day2_37.JPG

Day2_38.JPG

Day2_39.JPG

That's it for Day-2 will soon post Day-3 pics.

Thread Starter #17
Day-3

Date: 26-12-2011
Day: Monday
Route taken: Rishikesh- Devprayag- Srinagar-Rudraprayag- Karnaprayag
Destination: GMVN Karnaprayag
Start Odo: 4342
End Odo: 4509
Total KM: 167
Number of Halts: 1
Start time: 07:50 AM
End Time: 3:00 PM
Total Hrs: 7:10 Hrs
Total halt time: 2:00 Hrs

The alarm was set for 5:30AM. After our breakfast at GMVN Ganga resort, we were able to hit the road by 7:50AM. Even this time we were in no hurry, drive was sometimes quite smooth and sometimes very rough. Road widening work is in progress on many stretches. So there is lots of dust and stone were lying on road, at few places roads become quite narrow which is just sufficient for one vehicle to pass only.

Road condition in particular are bad around Srinagar, lots of construction work is going on around there. Road is fantastic as you approach Rudraprayag.

We had our first break for some snacks around 11:30Am. We stopped at hotel Vjay Raj near Rudraprayag. The hotel was empty, also no food except maggi and stuffed parathas were available. We ordered for maggi first and liked it very much, and then we ordered for couple of Aloo parathas. In the mean time I decided to study the Map My India Uttarakhand maps. And here is the twist, so I went toward car, taken out the maps and slammed the door back after locking the door from inside. As thud occurred I realized that my key was left inside the car and I was outside. I was like **** oh god this can’t happen to me.

Now I was having three options in front of me, first call the Hyundai call centre for road side assistance, second search some local mechanic who can open the doors and last break/remove the small rear door window glass. I tried first option, called the Hyundai customer care center, told them my problem and location but to my utter shock they are not able to find my location in map. They put me on hold for a while and then forget my problem. Then I blasted and bingo things were working, they provided me the complaint number and told me that they will contact me soon after arranging some technician for my help. In the meantime I shared my problem with the hotel owner, he ensured me saying I can help you. Thankfully he know mechanic who is 2 Km far from his hotel. We went to mechanic place in his car and we bring mechanic along us. While he is trying to opening the door I got a call from Oberai Hyundai Karnaprayag he told me that their technician can reach my location in a hour, but as I was talking to him my car doors got opened up by local mechanic. I informed them that I am out of mess now. As our next hotel was booked in Karnaprayag, so I told him that I will come for car service to confirm everything is fine or not.

I thanked hotel owner and paid food bills, dropped the mechanic at his shop on the way. Its 2:00PM and finally we are now moving towards Karnaprayag , wasted couple of hours on this break. Reached GMVN Karnaprayag by 3:15PM very small rooms, no heater, geyser was not working, very cold room we were shivering, no guest were present here when we reached. Had few snacks by evening, staff was courteous and polite arrange bonafire for us. In the late evening, couple of family and few guest checked in.

In my opinion we could have reached Joshimath in next 2-3 Hrs, in case we keep going ourselves. It’s not worth to stay here, as we wasted our 1 day which we can utilize to explore the places around Joshimath. We learn from our mistakes.

Not able to update my log as I was not getting Reliance netconnect signals here. Our Vodafone is working fine full signals.

Find below the pics of our ride from Rishikesh to Karnaprayag.

DSC02868.JPG

DSC02900.JPG

DSC02940.JPG

DSC02942.JPG

DSC02961.JPG

DSC02965.JPG

DSC02993.JPG

DSC02994.JPG

Thread Starter #20
Day-3 Contd...

find below the pics of GMVN Karnaprayag located along main highway after the Karnaprayag bridge

DSC03089.JPG

DSC03090.JPG

DSC03091.JPG

DSC03098.JPG

This concludes the Day-3 will post about Day-4 soon.

Whoa!! great pictolog toughguy! Freshness in the pics is really inspiring. I love the way you have covered the journey so far[:)]

I had done this trip long long time back in my Papa's amby, and I can say that it was horrible roads then. It has come a long way now. Anyway waiting for Lansdowne pics. We did 2 years back and it was total fun!!

Thread Starter #22
Whoa!! great pictolog toughguy! Freshness in the pics is really inspiring. I love the way you have covered the journey so far[:)]

I had done this trip long long time back in my Papa's amby, and I can say that it was horrible roads then. It has come a long way now. Anyway waiting for Lansdowne pics. We did 2 years back and it was total fun!!
Thanks a lot Thetraveller for your lovely comments, will post day to day log on daily basis. Had amazing experience at Lansdowne, quite calm and less crowded loved it very much will surely post pics as days progresses.

Thread Starter #23
Day-4

Date: 27-12-2011
Day: Tuesday
Route taken: Karnaprayag-Nandprayag-Joshimath
Destination: GMVN Karnaprayag
Start Odo: 4509
End Odo: 4597
Total KM: 88
Number of Halts: 2
Start time: 08:45 AM
End Time: 2:00 PM
Total Hrs: 5:15 Hrs
Total halt time: 1:00 Hrs

Wake up at 6:30 AM and we able to hit the road by 8:45 AM after our breakfast at GMVN Karnaprayag. Last night was really cold on top of that heater was also not available, in the morning we saw layer of Ice on our car roof.

Today we first visited Oberoi Hyundai in Karnaprayag which is located 5-6 KM from our hotel, there is some problem in car door which is opened by local mechanic yesterday. Water seeps into the door, I even got mild electric shock from door, and I was also facing difficulty in using the front power window.

Problem was fixed by them quite satisfactorily; they charged Rs 1138 for the same, finally we started towards Joshimath from here at 10:00 AM with all tension relieved. Route was quite scenic with lots of bad patches and narrow roads. We are running out of cash tried three ATM en route but not able to get cash. Finally reached Joshimath around 1:30PM searched for GMVN New Joshimath got the hotel and checked in we also got PNB ATM in Joshimath were we are able to withdraw the cash.

We planned Auli visit for tomorrow. Today we roamed around Joshimath local market and visited few temples.

Please find below the pics of Karanprayag to Joshimath

DSC03101.JPG

DSC03192.JPG

DSC03222.JPG

DSC03238.JPG

DSC03245.JPG

DSC03247.JPG

DSC03248.JPG

DSC03249.JPG

Excellent travelogue buddy. The pictures are equally nice, however, i would love to see more images of your car. The last pic with frost on the roof is my favorite of all those pics.

Thread Starter #26
Day-4 Contd...

Find below the pics of GMVN New Joshimath, nice stay over there, service is fast and best located compare to other hotels and other GMVN. Its full, food was also good overall good VFM hotel.

Only thing is that they charged 250rs per day for room heater compared to 100rs what other GMVN were charging, but that's ok with me.

DSC03310.JPG

DSC03312.JPG

DSC03371.JPG

DSC03375.JPG

DSC03378.JPG

DSC03382.JPG

DSC03384.jpg

DSC03387.jpg

Thread Starter #27
Excellent travelogue buddy. The pictures are equally nice, however, i would love to see more images of your car. The last pic with frost on the roof is my favorite of all those pics.
Thanks Akash for your encouragement, lot's of i-10 pics on the way will not disappoint you [:)]

Thread Starter #28
Day-4 Contd...

Find below the pics of our temple visit Joshimath

DSC03340.JPG

DSC03343.JPG

DSC03346.JPG

DSC03349.JPG

DSC03355.JPG

DSC03360.JPG

DSC03363.jpg

DSC03364.JPG

That's it for Day-4 will post Day-5 log tomorrow!

350Z

Core Team
Re: I10 Winter Trip (Dec-2011): Delhi-Rishikesh-Auli-Lansdowne-Delhi

Vibhor how far is Haridwar from Delhi? Can one go upto Haridwar by car? As i heard its a hilly region.
Yes you can drive in your own car to Hardiwar from Delhi easily, roads are brilliant now also till Haridwar no hilly roads, hills start after Rishikesh. Start early in morning from Delhi to save yourself from maddening traffic of Modinagar and take halt at Khatauli midway for food.
Yes. That’s true. You will easily end up spending an hour or two if you are stuck in the ‘terrific’ jam at Modi Nagar. It’s better to prepare well and start up as early as possible if time is a concern.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #30
Day-5

Date: 28-12-2011
Day: Wednesday
Route taken: Joshimath-Auli-Joshimath
Destination: Auli
Start time: 09:00 AM
End Time: 2:00 PM
Total Hrs: 5:00 Hrs

Today we are very excited for our Auli visit but to our disappointment there is no snow fall. We wake up by 8:00AM and able to start our journey to Joshimath by 9:00AM by hired local vehicle. We were told by hotel staff and others that we can easily do this journey by our own vehicle but I don’t wanna take any chance and wanna enjoy our visit rather than stuck in any unforeseen situation again. Our ride is quite scenic and smooth. Auli is just 14Km from Joshimath, our driver for the day is quite experienced and had quite good knowledge about the place; he was also our local guide for the day. After reaching Auli I realized that our vehicle can easily make out till here, but to add that road is quite narrow, slippery and steep at some places also there was ice formations on the road but I must say overall a very good experience.

Taken the lift car to Auli from GMVN Ski resort and reached there is no time. Mountain View from here is quite good but without Ice there is no excitement. Stroll here and there for quite some time and after that enjoyed maggi and tea at shop there overall a wonderful experience.

Will move towards Srinagar tomorrow morning.

Find below the pics of Day-5

DSC03408.JPG

DSC03414.JPG

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03435.JPG

DSC03437.jpg

DSC03488.JPG

DSC03489.JPG

DSC03490.JPG

Top Bottom