Hyundai Elite i20 VTVT Asta (O) Phantom Black: Ownership Review

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
[
Hyundais are designed for 5 years: You abuse it, you drive it sedately. It will be rock solid for 5 years. After 5 years, it will show all its true colors, irrespective of how it was driven.
I somehow missed this post. Check the screenshot of my Santro. I bought it on 2009 , got CNG fitted in November 2011 and sold the car in November 2018 with 200,000 kms odo[:D]
160,000+ kms was on CNG and yet the car's engine had never been opened(the secret was to drive the car on petrol for 2kms daily in the morning without fail). The only major thing I did was gearbox replacement and some oil seals were leaking.
So all depends on maintenance , whatever car brand it is.
Screenshot_20211027-090828.jpg

Please don't mind I couldn't control , 42k in more than 8 years is nothing. [lol]
I completely agree with you AllHyundaiCars.

The rationale behind is straight.

When I bought my car, my CTC was less than 4.5L per annum, and I am the only bread winner of my family.

Car has been my childhood days' craze and I started saving money around 10 years before 2013, when I actually purchased Santro.

While selecting the car, I followed my thumb rule - that is, the cost of my car should be around 90% of my then-current CTC, however, it exceeded a lot more, reached almost 98% of my then CTC in March 2013.

In 2013, the car wasn't our ideal requirement, based on my monthly tight budget, cash inflow and outflow calculations.

Car was intended for purchase, for the sole purpose of giving fuel to my long craved desires, and to give some comfort and a standard of life to my family.

The usage pattern of the car hasn't changed since 2013 (purchase time of Santro), till today.

My car stays parked in my car parking 5-6 days a week, and only one day in a week, may be Saturday or Sunday or both, the car is taken out for a mere 10 - 15 kms per week, which works out to be around 50-60 kms a month, which comes out to be 600-700 kms a year.

My primary usage of car is for all out outstation trips, which includes Chennai - Bangalore (350 kms one way); Chennai - Velanganni (350 kms one way); Chennai - Tuticorin (600 kms one way); Chennai - Rameswaram (650 kms one way); Chennai - Karur (400+ kms one way) and several other outstation trips.

Considering the car (both the erstwhile Santro and the current Amaze) resolved the core purpose of our family owning a car, I feel fine with the investment made.

The factors that result in such low running is:

1). I ride my 110 cc two wheeler daily to office, and very rare countable days, I have driven Santro to office, maximum some 10-12 times, in the entire 100 months of ownership, that due to some calamatic reasons or some other reasons, and very rarely for the intention of show-off (may be 1 - 2 times in all).

2). I not only keep my wallet healthy and wealthy by avoiding alone-driving the car, but also contribute towards fuel-saving, environmental friendly factors.

3). I also contribute towards space management in the mad city traffic in Chennai. I always prefer two wheelers when single or even double (but for some romantic jolly rides with my wife in car - both Santro and Amaze), and road users riding / driving with me on the road have the comfort of space, and I take away that credit. [:)]

And, these are all the reasons, I always tend to buy the lowest variant in the cars that I purchase, as I can use the different money I save by not buying higher variant, for fuel bills.

Variant selection of my cars are as below:

1). Santro Xing GL Plus Petrol 2013 - a mid variant, second from base. GL Plus comes with power steering, AC and front alone power windows. In that period I was preferring the lower variant which was Santro Xing Non AC, with ordinary steering (the ones which can still be seen in some driving schools till now). Family preferred AC car then, and I also found that logical since during rainy days, driving with family without AC would end up fogging my windshield, which becomes a safety issue. Ordinary manual steering was not a concern for me those days (even today - I prefer Maruti 800 and Tata Nano with ordinary steering).

2). Honda Amaze SMT Petrol 2021 - a mid variant, second from base. S variant was one above the base - E variant. E variant came with black mirrors, black door handles and black bumpers, with indicators on the fenders, which I preferred more, due to the body coloured mirrors being prone to hit by two wheelers and other vehicles thus falling heavy on my wallet. But, alas, I missed two important requirements for my driving in the base E variant - they are music system and central locking system, which I had to go for additional fitment from showroom at exorbitant price. Moreover, the E variant didn't have adjustable headrests, but only had fixed headrests, which was a boon in my ertstwhile Santro. Considering these factors, wife pushed for the S variant over E variant, as S variant had factory in built music system (non-touch screen) with excellent door-placed speakers of excellent quality with bluetooth connectivity phone pairing feature with steering mounted controls, speed sensing auto-door lock, which I liked as I am a Safety-First kind of guy. Finally settled for SMT variant over the higher V variant that comes with rear-view camera, which is a good-to-have for me, as this is my first sedan, and right now I am managing with the parking sensors alone. Moreover, Olympia Honda - Amabattur in Chennai gave me some additional discount in case I opted for S variant over E model, and I finally booked SMT variant.

The money I have saved in lower variants, is utilized well in fuelling the monsters.

Actually 42kkms, by your maintenance (You maintain your rides superbly @Kumar_CarFreak sir), by that conditions, it will be in mint condition only. I had earlier addressed about Hyundais run for 5 years+/ above 50-60+kkms mark.
Yeah with the aspect of 50k-60k kms, there could be minor issues teething up one by one, and hence my buyer has been lucky to get a mint condition vehicle. Clutch was in mint-condition due to 97% highway drives and less than 3% in city drives. Brake pads in front still had a good 10k - 15k kms life as per mechanic check in the service done gone April 2021. And that's probably the reason why the car fetched me a not-so-bad price when sold.

Hyundai common issue patterns:
40k-60kkms : Suspension noise, Steering Noise, if driven in city then clutch
80k-100kkms: Clutch(as above), difference in engine note, in case of diesel turbo leaks/petrol mileage drop
120k-140kkms: Brake MC issue, second suspension related issues.

Hyundai owners can comment, if they have faced this. Other fellow brands, won't have issues exactly like this, only when driven hard or say in case of maruti the parts quality is cheaper, so is its price.

This is what I meant by durability in 5 years !

deville_56

Honoured Member
80k-100kkms: Clutch(as above), difference in engine note, in case of diesel turbo leaks/petrol mileage drop

Hyundai owners can comment, if they have faced this. Other fellow brands, won't have issues exactly like this, only when driven hard or say in case of maruti the parts quality is cheaper, so is its price.

I can relate the issue. Been through most of the mentioned things on multiple Hyundai cars [lol]

@deville_56 , The Price that we have to pay for the parts are more than that we pay for brands like Ford(60%localized through plants and vendors) and Honda(40-50% localized through plants, I don't think Honda has Vendors other than that for electricals, although we have aftermarket options).
Summary: In regard to Ford and Honda, the parts are durable than Hyundai, although Hyundai spares are more costly.

Agreed Vishnu... In your perspective, you are right. I have very less and limited usage, and hence I didn't face any of the above ones, even after crossing 42000 kms odo mark. I also agree mostly in case I had driven everyday in Chennai city for office commutes and all local commutes (instead of my two wheeler), then my clutch would have lost almost half of its life, by the time I sold, for sure. Brake pads would also have reached almost its end-of-life stage by then.

Now I drive a Honda (Amaze), and fingers crossed on the possible teething issues coming in. My usage will be same / similar - i.e., average of 5000-6000 kms per year, and certainly not more than that until I have a sudden elevation in my income by God's grace in the upcoming years. But by then, my knees would have started (already started) giving problems and driving a manual in mad Chennai city traffic would have become close to impossible by then...

Honda's for the price you pay for the spare parts, that quality is guarenteed @Kumar_CarFreak sir.
For Amaze, check on brake pads (They are bound to get worn off faster, especially with city driving, but yours being highway use, it won't get affected much).
Anything you want to know about amaze @vishnu vichu bro and his thread is where you need to ask. He's the expert with it.

PS- For ultimate performance in economical cars, Hyundai's are the best. You abuse the ride to the core, it is built like that , only thing is short life [:D]. You give me Honda city &Hyundai Verna on a highway without passengers, I would drive the Verna than City. Although handling is compromised by a small margin, still the power delivery and torque on highways are insane. Have done 120kmph-130kmph (Cruising, w/o Cruise control), and have got 13-14kmpl in Petrol Verna 1.6 VTVT. Honda city also returned the same figures (Although different route), but the power punch factor was missing. But passenger comfort, CITY is the benchmark.

Thread Starter #74

My Verna before the accident clocked about 90k or so kms it was due to turn 5 years a month post the accident

issues I faced was two times AC compressor replaced in warranty
Suspension noises which most were warranties just a control arm was done few months prior to accident
And also there was some jerky acceleration which got resolved by removing and cleaning the throttle body. No other issues yes clutch master was replaced twice but never had issue occur just made to do with bleeding the lines.

Where as the i20
In the last few months
2 door switches failed
Door open handle broke off
Indicator left turn doesn’t engage sometimes changed it
Trunk lifters both not holding the trunk unless it’s fully up
Air con compressor variable displacement valve

misfiring occurred changed the spark plugs
Misfiring occurred again checked live data all looked fine coils too were normal cleaned the injectors which were very dirty misfiring occurred randomly again and it misfires only for few seconds with the engine light blinking and returns back to normal.
Suspected fuel filter but they have no stock of the oring

Thread Starter #75
The random misfires and jerks continued, one day I was low on fuel and there was a shell bunk ahead filled up some v-power petrol. I used to sometimes fill on the Verna and got some more mileage before. After filling v-power I haven’t got any random misfires or jerks while that fuel lasted. Though I surprisingly got more fe. It gave around 13ish compared to 10-11 on other fuels (normal mixed driving with majority being sort of highway)
Once it got over since the bunk is a good 15 km one way for me I filled fuel at the normal bp coco bunk I fill up at during this time the misfire and jerks randomly occurred again but was not as often as previously. Fe on this was back to 10
Decided I do a full tank with v-power got around 580 km in mixed driving where as on the other fuels would get around 450-480
Last tankful got about 610 km so even though the fuel costs way more than normal i’m getting more fe which is turning out cheaper. Not to mention in past two tankfuls I have not noticed any jerks or misfires. Engine does however sound bit more silent.
have yet to do a out of town drive ( previous drive got me 15kmpl on expressway wonder how much this v-power would give)

Top Bottom