Basic Types of Tyre Tread Patterns

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Before I begin, let us firstly understand what are the tyre treads, patterns and basic difference between both. Tread is a rubber on the main surface of tyre which has direct contact with the terrain. On the other hand, pattern is a design which is cut into the rubber and it helps to create traction between tyre and road. Therefore, now we understand that tread is referred to the rubber and not the design, contrary to the common belief of many people.

Depending upon various factors, such as usage frequency and type of terrain on which a vehicle is driven, the tread can eventually give up which later typically causes less effective braking and traction force. It is highly recommended to replace the tyres as soon as you sense the signs of their balding, also, legally the depth of tread should be at least 1.6 MM. One may, however, never be penalized for violation of this rule but it’s made for the safety of your own and other innocent road users out there. You will find a huge variety of tyres available of different sizes and tread designs in the market. Here, choosing the correct tread pattern can certainly make a big difference when it comes to tyre speed rating and stability. So, it’s important to become familiar with some of the primary types of tread patterns as described below.

• Symmetric Tyre Tread Pattern
symmetric tyres.jpg

Symmetric tread design can be commonly seen on the tyres of many cars. As their name itself indicates, symmetrical pattern refers to those treads which feature similar continuous design across the tread on either sides of tyre. Tyres with this type of pattern are normally non-directional, meaning that they can be fitted without worrying about a specific rotational direction.

• Asymmetric Tyre Tread Pattern
asymetric tyres.jpg

Exactly opposite to the symmetric tread pattern – asymmetric tyre treads feature dissimilar designs on both the sides. This discrepancy in their design allows better grip on flat out roads and also while making turns. Generally, the outer area of such tyres has broad design where as the inner carries smaller independent tread blocks, as seen on symmetric design.

• Unidirectional Tyre Tread Pattern
unidirectional tyres.jpg

The unidirectional (also known as directional) tread patterns are made to perform well when fitted on a specified direction, this direction is generally marked with help of an arrow on the sidewalls. This type of tyres have ‘V’ shaped tread design which helps increasing aquaplaning resistance when the vehicle is running on high speeds, by efficiently cutting it through this unique pattern.

So which one does your car has? [thumbswink]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Different Types of Tyre Tread Patterns

there are also semi-slick tires and they have a different tread as well. i have to go check mine now. i was not interested in types of tread till now. [:D]

One more good thread. But I would say adding the technical background either on their need (different treads & patterns) or the selection criteria will be more fruitful.

My contribution to this thread,
Asymmetric tyres cannot be used on every vehicle. It depends on the steering geometry. Asymmetric pattern on cars with low camber value affects handling & steering effort, in case of EPS (electronic power steering) there are possibilities of EPS drive unit failure.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
One more good thread. But I would say adding the technical background either on their need (different treads & patterns) or the selection criteria will be more fruitful.

My contribution to this thread,
Asymmetric tyres cannot be used on every vehicle. It depends on the steering geometry. Asymmetric pattern on cars with low camber value affects handling & steering effort, in case of EPS (electronic power steering) there are possibilities of EPS drive unit failure.
Nice information. This was just a quick explanation about basic tyre tread patterns. Please share for rest of them as well.

Good article 350Z!

My car has the plain symmetric pattern , Yokohama A-Drives.
And so does mine..

DSC03665.JPG

Drive Safe,
350Z

Great thread!! my contribution also.. [;)]

Rib shape
1.gif

Rib shape : Tread patterns dominated by multiple circumferential grooves.

Advantages include lower rolling resistance plus good directional stability and steering control thanks to lateral resistance. Rib type patterns are suitable for sustained high speeds thanks to their low levels of heat generation.
Key disadvantages are poor braking & acceleration grip on wet roads.
Application: For paved road surfaces and truck or bus steer axles

Lug shape
2.gif

Lug shape : Tread patterns with the groove arrangement perpendicular to the circumference of the tyre

The main advantage of lug patterns is excellent braking power and traction.
The biggest disadvantage is a tendency towards high noise when driven at high speed. Indeed, lug patterns are not suitable for high speed driving due to their high rolling resistance.
Application: For dirt roads, rear wheels of buses, industrial vehicles and dump trucks .

Rib-Lug shape
3.gif

Rib-Lug shape : A combination of Rib and Lug designs

Key features are a rib in the centre providing directional control whilst a shoulder lug gives good braking & driving power.
Application: Good for both paved and dirt roads. Usually used in both front & rear wheels of trucks and buses.

Another nice and informative thread on TAI!![clap]

These are my Unidirectional/Directional Tyres!

Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs 185/70/14on our Sept 2008 DZire VDi...

Enjoy the pics..

e63(314) copy.jpg
e63(304) copy.jpg
e63(243) copy.jpg
e63(312) copy.jpg

Nice information. This was just a quick explanation about basic tyre tread patterns. Please share for rest of them as well.
Thank you. Will try for the other threads too.

Rib shape
Lug shape
Some of the technical questions here.
Why do lug pattern has more traction & better braking than rib?
Why do lug pattern produce more noise than rib?

Someone give a try. Let me explain letter.

really informative thread again!! [clap]

Some of the technical questions here.

Someone give a try. Let me explain letter.
well i think may be coz it has horizontal pattern and thats why it easily grips road surface?? :stupid:

Attachments

well i think may be coz it has horizontal pattern and thats why it easily grips road surface?? :stupid:
No dear.

Let me explain.
1) Lug pattern has lesser contact surface than the rib pattern. Also more sharp edges compared with the rib.
Sharp edges + less area --> Load/unit area is higher --> Higher friction coefficient --> high traction

2) Direction of rib pattern (grooves) are same as the vehicle direction, but it is perpendicular in case of Lugs --> Direction of air flow is easy in rib, obstructed in Lug --> More noise.

I miss my GIIIs very much [sad] Have to settle with the asymmetric Yokohama A539s which are terrible and I am also a bit worried about the EPS going kaput now! I am attaching a picture of the Yoko.
How much kms did your GIIIs lasted?
Also explain more about why do you feel these yokos are terrible![roll]

How much kms did your GIIIs lasted?
Also explain more about why do you feel these yokos are terrible![roll]
GIIIs size 165/60 R12s lasted just under 18k on my car, reason being that I drive hard and add to that the reduced radius of the tyre with that profile. The compound is also a little on the softer side. But I prefer traction rather than longer tyre life.

About the Yokos, The A539s are pathetic when compared with the GIIIs. They are awful in wet conditions and loose traction if there is a minuscule bit of gravel or sand on the road. The back end of the car steps out if you push things. The only pro in comparison to the GIII is that they pull you out of slush and mud better than the GIII. Ride comfort is also inferior.

I dont think this is the case with all asymmetric patterns though.

Last edited:

Top Bottom