My New Honda City in White - The Albus

About purchases from AE I am facing problem too. Not getting product delivered even after 3 months [frustration]
Yeah something is wrong. May be because of christmas and new year holidays or as Dr. said new custom officer has arrived in Kolkata and he is making delays.

I'm waiting for 6 items past 45+ days and all are held at "item sent abroad". Lucky one of the item (AC knobs) has entered into customs on 26th of this month and hope I will receive it next week. Another one is sent again from Beijing on 23rd of this month, don't know what happened to the previous item, seller has not sent again either. I guess it has held at Beijing so long.

I had ordered an IC's for my friend on 12th December and I got it yesterday, just because it was sent via Hong Kong post.

So now after, you guys order anything from Aliexpress or even ebay, ask the seller whether he can ship via Hong Kong post. If he can, its good otherwise check with different sellers.

What I have understood is, goods coming from china post are dispatched from Beijing and then the item is delayed for 1-2 months to reach Kolkata Airport Sorting Office.

Other postal services are not sent from Beijing and will enter into Delhi or Mumbai Sorting Office but not to Kolkata.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #872

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Hello Dear All!

I think "The Albus" story must remain 'the' starting point for any first time owner of a Honda City (like me) anywhere, even outside the shores of India, who has interests deeper than normal.

Thanks, Sir.

Right now, I am looking at the rusting front strut mounts in the engine bay, and a probable solution that could come from a pair of 'microwave oven proof' plastic jars/cups to cover those water-harvesting wells.

Yes. I did mention about this here: McPherson strut bolt and the bolt started corroding.

Would you spend around $10,000 for a jar of car wax! (yes, I have a very small amount of similar carnauba wax, that I use sparingly on acoustic guitar finishes sometimes).

It’s interesting!

Does anyone know about this dandy Honda City rear under-seat storage bin for umbrellas and such? Is this available as an extra option in India?

I too tried. No where available. But there are people to fabricate and give.

@ CRACING
SOME INFORMATION ABOUT CAN-BUS LEDs - However, we lose the benefits of low wattage consumption of LEDs and too much heat produced by load resistors can damage LED chips or cause fire.

I am little worried about the heat and fire. I have not put my ALBUS to such stress so far.

@ TSIVipul
Your thread is slowly turning into an encyclopedia for not only beginners, but for everyone This one sounds like a serious issue if it happens on a deserted road, no help nothing and one is on his own. Noted down and wishing I never face the same!

Thanks.

My Honda City finally turned 2 years old on 14th Dec 2014.

Congrats.

So the reason given by the technician is the condenser outlet pipe got clogged because of the gel based perfume that I was using!!(GODREJ AER). It seems he drained the clogged pipe. But a mild smell still remains. So how can I completely get rid of the odour? Do I completely stop using perfume in my car?

I hope you read my detailed article over this issue. It is here: MY ALBUS - HOW I RESOLVED THE MUSTY AC / BLOWER ODOUR!

You can also do as Mr. Essarr suggested, through 3M Car Care. Try some organic type perfume.

To add to my woes I lost my wallet while travelling in Mumbai Local. My driving license was in it too.

Sorry to know, hope you applied for a duplicate ones.

I fish to figure the gear shift knob in total darkness.

Please avoid aftermarket LED gear knobs. It would be fiddling with electrical line.

The noodles floor mat frequently slides under the pedals and give some anxious moments.

Somehow I don’t prefer the so called noodle mat as it is worst in dry and wet conditions. Dirt get clogged in dry conditions and moisture soaking during wet times. Go for 3D KAGU, it is available at GP Road, Chennai @ RS. 5350/-. If budget constraints, go for best alternative like Star mats / Digifit mats.

Mini lights in the pedal areas useful or nuisance?

Depends your taste. I avoided it, IMO for our ANHC it won’t give an executive like.

The Honda pillows in your car look cute. Are they custom made?

That’s the only cheapest aftermarket accessary available from Honda dealers. A pair cost from Honda Rs.700/-
[lol]

Dr. Mudhan, your posts are truly awesome. I have never seen so much information on car care and maintenance.

Thanks.

How to maintain the pearly white look on my new car. Can you suggest a nice wax for rich pearl white shine and not the wet look?

Pearl white is my favorable white and give a rainbow shinning if properly maintained. I have written about it earlier and you can try those wax types I used -

126308d1392047263-exhaustive-guide-car-detailing-basics-white-cars.jpg

Poor Boy’s White Diamond Glaze / Poor Boy’s Natty Paste Wax - which are available in INDIA.

HOW DO I MAKE MY WHITE CAR SHINE?

If you can get it from USA, try this ultimate:

XXX Hardcore Carnauba wax - The Best Wax For A White Car: Chemical Guys White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH4Lf5CSk6k

@ Kuwaronline
My baby turned 2 years old on 12th Dec 2014.

Congrats!

About purchases from AE I am facing problem too. Not getting product delivered even after 3 months!

I too come across but rarely when Indian customs hold it for inspection. But I lodge a dispute, get refunded and also make reimbursed the seller honestly when item arrived.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Thread Starter #873

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

PART: LXVIII

ANHC: HOW TO IDENTIFY AND REPLACE A BLOWN FUSE!​

My ALBUS side indicators fender lights and number plate lights stopped their illumination.

I am the culprit, yes it has occurred while I tried to change the OE fender bulbs to LEDs as I have already made it to DUAL mode that -as side parking and indicator light as well.

I wanted the side fender indicator lights to glow in the night when I drive or park the car with parking light to indicate the car’s sides as in the aircraft(!) but also wanted to flash while indicator switched on while turning. My electrician did it nicely but it worked well with original bulbs.

But only one function worked with LEDs due to polarity issue. I could not get a non-polarity small led bulbs which can easily get into side indicator assay. Therefore we put a bridge rectifier in the connecting wire so that the LED circuit can be illuminated, regardless of the polarity.

It also worked but not like original bulb. The original bulb will switch to flash even in parking mode automatically. But after rectifier , the light will glow in parking mode or flash on during indicator mode but only one function will work at a time will not switch on to the other one automatically. I left it , was OK!

BUT

When I tried to put another LED color bulb while the parking switch was on, the fuse found blown.
As I have decided not fiddle more and I went to the electrician to remove the rectifier (as I felt that could be the reason) and restored to OE bulbs.

So you please don’t fiddle like me and THAT’S NOT THE PURPOSE OF THIS ARTICLE.

While I wanted to replace the blown fuse, our Owner’s Manual could not help me in proper way. It says “remove the driver’s pocket / under cover to access the fuse box’. I thought the driver’s pocket means the small pocket where we keep coins!
When I tried to remove the ‘driver’s pocket ‘like glove box, it came out nicely, but the fuse box was not really accessible and the fuses were partially visible.

As I did not want to risk, I took the car to my car electrician where I found out the method to replace our fuses.
It is better to know this for ourselves or at least to monitor whether the car electrician knows it beforehand so that to make him avoid fiddling with our car.

I found out from manual the 29th fuse controls this line and I told my electrician the fuse number and learned that how did he identify the right one.

Two important things to remember, one to remove the screw from the drivers pocket area which procedure step was missing in the manual and the next the order / location of the fuse which is also not clear in the manual. He pulled out with a small nose plier and but better to use a fuse puller as suggested in the manual.

The following pictures would be your guide, please note the fuse order. Somehow I felt the actual placement of fuses has minor variation when compared to the OWNER'S MANUAL !

Am I right? ( or ) am I confused?

CRACING, Please correct me !

PICTURES FROM MY AUTO ELECTRICIAN'S WORK

HONDA FUSE 1.jpg
HONDA FUSE 2.jpg
HONDA FUSE 3.jpg
HONDA FUSE 5.jpg

129681d1395154271t-my-new-honda-city-white-albus-anhc-fuse-3.jpg
HONDA FUSE 4.jpg

{ THE OWNER'S MANUAL PICTURE IS FROM MY PREVIOUS ARTICLE, MEANT FOR REFERENCE. THE FUSE REPLACED NOW IS NO.29 (SMALL LIGHT) }

Hello Dr.,

I am little worried about the heat and fire. I have not put my ALBUS to such stress so far.
I have reverted the licence plate lights back to normal LEDs (4 x 5050 T10) after one of Can-Bus LED stopped working. Seller couldn't send a replacement but gave a discount on another purchase on his store.

ANHC: HOW TO IDENTIFY AND REPLACE A BLOWN FUSE!​
Its very good that you have come up with this guide and its very important for every car owners to know about it.

Indeed the owners manual of our ANHC is not fulfilled with info. Not just about fuse box but some other things too are incomplete too. i.e Fog light assembly removal guide.

However, I haven't encountered issues with fuses yet so I have no experience in removing the fuse box. Now with your guide, I can remove it easily when required. [clap]

My ALBUS side indicators fender lights and number plate lights stopped their illumination.
I have understood about culprit with side markers but why did the number plate lights stopped working? Is it because of Can-bus LEDs or anything else?

Somehow I felt the actual placement of fuses has minor variation when compared to the OWNER'S MANUAL !

CRACING, Please correct me !
Yes your right and its same in my car manual too. Even though ANHC 2009-11 Owners Manual is slightly different then 2012's manual, Fuse locations shown are actually correct but the fuse label is wrong. I'm curious to know about 2014 Honda City manual, @2014 Honda City owners, please share the snapshots like shown below. Thanks.

20141228_123440_BEST.jpg
20141228_123401_BEST.jpg

I have not checked my car fuse box though.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
If you can get it from USA, try this ultimate: XXX Hardcore Carnauba wax - The Best Wax For A White Car: Chemical Guys White.
About polishing cars for a glass-like finish, I think many of today's quality commercial polishes (wax or liquid crystal polymer based, or a blend of both) can bring about desired results. The question is, how long is it going to last and what is the labour involved.

My first trials in 1980 was with brand-name called Polyglygot, it did put a dazzling shine the car, but it didn't last. Then early 1982, at a recommendation from a friend in the US who was a car buff, I switched to a crystal polymer semi-liquid polish called "Liquid Crystal" made by Plastone Co., of Chicago, Illinois which I bought in the US. Since then, I haven't had the need to look elsewhere.

Just a single can of 16 oz. (473 ml) of this polish had lasted for over 40 years covering two cars, 1982-1995 a blue/grey metalic finish car and 1995 to 2014 standard white finish car. Basically involved just two to three applications per car over its entire life (or ownership) with me, all and both cars were sold with original factory paint. Application is quite simple, lay it on in an even layer in small area, allow to dry and wipe it off and buff with soft cloth (lint free micro fibre). I don't remember the retail price, but I do recall that it was around three to four time higher than any commercial car polish available at that time.

Recently, when I went to sell my white 1995 white Maruti Esteem, the used-car dealer was quite surprised by the shine and un-faded whiteness of the body panels. In fact, he was bent on proving that the car was re-sprayed in recent years, which he was unable to.

By the way, I still have plenty of this "Liquid Crystal" left in the can to cover my Honda City, which I will do once the 3M paint protection treatment has cured properly. Unfortunately, "Liquid Crystal" is not available now in the package you see here, but may still be out there in different clothing in the form of a Turtle Wax Inc. product. Plastone Co. became Turtle Wax Inc., when it moved to Turtle Creek, Wisconsin, and was owned by the same person,Benjamin Hirsch at the time of the shift. Today, I am not sure if the Hirsch's company is now swallowed by Minnesotal Mining & Manufacturing Co.- the mighty 3M.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/turtle-wax-inc-history/

The small bottle is Planet Waves' "Protect" is a musical instrument polish which says "pure liquid carnauba wax". It does contains petrolium distilates to keep in liquid form, so "pure" cannot be accurate. I have not tried it on cars but it is a UV protectant and works well on polyurethane wood finishes and painted metal surfaces.

Attachments

In continuation of above post on "Liquid Crystal", having re-read the post, it makes me ponder:
If Plastone Co. can make (in their own words) "...to Last Your Car's Lifetime..", how do they expect to sell me a second can of polish? In reality, however, this stuff really lasts, and I can vouch for that.

There is something I read in this thread that wants me say a word of caution.
Yes, Door lock buckle covers! A simple and convenient way to hide the screws & make your car look unique !

I ordered from Aliexpress & got it. Just pushed it over the buckle after cleaning the area with WD40!
I have worked with WD40 most of my life (aviation industry) and it a silent and potent thing to use on ceased nuts, bolts and fasteners. It is cryogenic and will penetrate the tightest of threads in nuts and bolts and eventually loosen them. So, be very miserly if you have to use it as a de-greaser!

The following pictures would be your guide, please note the fuse order. Somehow I felt the actual placement of fuses has minor variation when compared to the OWNER'S MANUAL !

CRACING, Please correct me ! .
I am new to the Honda City but I can say that Owner's Manual leaves a lot to be desired. Even with, say, five variants within one production period (say, Corp., E-MT, S-MT, V-MT, V-AT), Honda has lumped everything into one manual. Every few pages apart you find an annotation at the bottom of the page that says <*: for some types"> that can be confusing to the owner. To that, one may add any 'typo' errors that has dodged the proof-readers, and then you have diagrams and drawings not related to your model. Now confusion turns into nightmare. If there is an error related fuse box and fuse values and/or their relative positions, it could lead to disastrously serious consequences. In other words the manual is not model/version specific. In fact, the manual should clearly define (with instructions) what is user replaceable and what is not.

Another item I found in my manual that could really confuse those who go plus-one tyre/wheel upgrade is about the recommended tyre pressure label pasted on the inside the door sill. What is the reason that the tyre size of "175/65R15" be mentioned there? Whether you upgrade to a wider 185/55R16 (on new rims) or 195/60R15 (with stock rims), the tyre pressure remains the same. Pounds Per Square Inch is a constant no matter how Square Inch you got, as long as the load it has to bear remains the same. Some, I am sure will start contemplating "I've got bigger tyres now, what tyre pressure should I go for now?", and that, merely because of "175/65R15" on the TP door label.

Posting photos of your fuse box and what appears in the manual may in fact compound the problem (even within the same year of production, the manufacturer reserves the right to make improvement - or so they say). The only way to fix that is by writing to Honda India and express your discontent (in other countries you would be suing the company for a wrong fuse value). And while you're at it, I may a good idea to ask why do Indians get the watered-down version of the same model that is sold in other countries. For example, they could at least offer some of the items that are 'standard' in other countries as an 'option' to the customer in India (like 16" alloys on 185/55 rubbers, rear under-seat tray, ICE, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you read my detailed article over this issue. It is here: MY ALBUS - HOW I RESOLVED THE MUSTY AC / BLOWER ODOUR!
OMG Sir!! I just cant believe that I missed/forgot reading the article.
Your thread is for sure the Holy Book for ANHC.
There's a solution for every problem here just the way like BHAGWADGITA.
Ok, so after reading your article I tried the hot air cleaning technique.
Still the smell wouldn't subside so I switched off the car and opened the air filter cabinet.Filter had traces of rat feces. Then I put my hand into the airflow duct.
Just above the air filter is a black sponge which i suppose is also for filtering the air and to my horror when i ran my hand on it and pulled out my hand there was rat feces on my hand too. So I put in my hand again to feel the sponge and I notice that the sponge has rat feces stuck on it every where.
Last week I took my car to Honda Service Center as the smell was going beyond limits.
The stupid service executive could not smell anything. After lot of requesting he called in the a/c technician who could feel the smell immediately. So what he tried was removing the air filter and turned on the ac. Result was much reduced smell.
They also got the ac relay changed as I was having a problem with the ac shutting off by itself. Then some ac duct treatment. I was charged 3k for all this.
As the service center closes by 6-7pm and I was not available at that time so the service representative asked me to collect it from the watchman. I collected it around 10pm. I had classes from 6-9 pm . Now that carelessness might turn out costly for me. After reaching home what I noticed was although the smell was gone the ac button glows amber instead of green and the center console was not fitted properly with almost an inch of it protruding out. Complained to the service executive he asked me to come back on Monday. Due to some personal issues couldn't take the car out on Monday and the whole week. Yesterday I drove the car and the smell was back. Now I'll for sure visit the service center tomorrow and give them a nice bashing!! [frustration][gun][angry]

hi Dr.Mudhan. i must thank you for such a great thread. your efforts are highly appreciated.
sir what cards do you use for making payments at aliexpress.com. my both credit and debit cards were not accepted. can you guide me through this.

thanks

regards
vaibhav

OMG Sir!! I just cant believe that I missed/forgot reading the article.
Your thread is for sure the Holy Book for ANHC.
There's a solution for every problem here just the way like BHAGWADGITA.
Ok, so after reading your article I tried the hot air cleaning technique.
Still the smell wouldn't subside so I switched off the car and opened the air filter cabinet.Filter had traces of rat feces. Then I put my hand into the airflow duct.
Just above the air filter is a black sponge which i suppose is also for filtering the air and to my horror when i ran my hand on it and pulled out my hand there was rat feces on my hand too. So I put in my hand again to feel the sponge and I notice that the sponge has rat feces stuck on it every where.
Last week I took my car to Honda Service Center as the smell was going beyond limits.
The stupid service executive could not smell anything. After lot of requesting he called in the a/c technician who could feel the smell immediately. So what he tried was removing the air filter and turned on the ac. Result was much reduced smell.
They also got the ac relay changed as I was having a problem with the ac shutting off by itself. Then some ac duct treatment. I was charged 3k for all this.
As the service center closes by 6-7pm and I was not available at that time so the service representative asked me to collect it from the watchman. I collected it around 10pm. I had classes from 6-9 pm . Now that carelessness might turn out costly for me. After reaching home what I noticed was although the smell was gone the ac button glows amber instead of green and the center console was not fitted properly with almost an inch of it protruding out. Complained to the service executive he asked me to come back on Monday. Due to some personal issues couldn't take the car out on Monday and the whole week. Yesterday I drove the car and the smell was back. Now I'll for sure visit the service center tomorrow and give them a nice bashing!! [frustration][gun][angry]
ravib, from your first post about this, I thought it couldn't have been any car fragrance (wax or liquid). It may be good idea to find out the source of entry for a rat got into the a/c filter system. Others can take protective action.

Again, with the lights turning amber, and panel protrusion that you describe, cannot emphasize the need for a model specific "Owner's Manual". Hope the stink goes away for good. -SR

My ALBUS side indicators fender lights and number plate lights stopped their illumination. Am I right? ( or ) am I confused?
I am not a qualified electrician (car or otherwise), but I feel there could be al problem with switching to LEDs.

Let us say we are replacing a pair of 21 watt WY21W standard tungsten indicator bulbs on one side of the car with two amber T20 LED SMDs that are rated at 3 watts each (for the similar amount of lumen in light output). Let us also presume, that both OEM lamps are protected by just one fuse of 7 amp rating in the fuse box. Now there is a change in lesser amperes drawn by LEDs (2 x 3 = 6 watts) as compared to (2 x 21) 42 watts previously. Unless the fuse value is matched to the current draw of the LEDs, the LEDs are going to be the weakest link in the circuit. In other words, the fuse will never blow, but the LEDs will burn-out if there is a malfunction in the supply voltage.

I am not sure if I am right, but it seems logical to me and it is food for thought. If I am right, then in my opinion, it is a potential hazard situation.

...........................In other words, the fuse will never blow, but the LEDs will burn-out if there is a malfunction in the supply voltage.
You are right and I have experienced this. Normal halogen bulbs can withstand high voltage and current (i.e when igniting engine) but LEDs blow easily. Not the LEDs but their resistors. This happens more on Chinese led bulbs due to cheap quality components they use.

Another thing is electronic system in the car. It should be perfectly designed and provide correct voltage and current without fluctuating. I have seen some cars in-which the LED bulbs won't stay for long, they blow soon but the same LED bulbs work fine for long time in expensive cars.

However, western peoples don't like LEDs, at-least they don't put them on their cars. We Asians love LEDs more. [:D]

I am not sure if I am right, but it seems logical to me and it is food for thought. If I am right, then in my opinion, it is a potential hazard situation.
Nothing very dangerous about it. These Chinese LEDs blow soon before anything major happens and if they short-circuit, there will always be a fuse for each pair of bulbs to cut off. [:)]

Hello to All,

I have received two more items this week that I had order on 11/11. AC Knobs and Ignition Key Ring.

20150105_144419_BEST.jpg

20150105_202921_BEST.jpg

Review: Quality is great, Finishing is good. Knobs are made of Aluminum and Plastic. Aluminum is coated with black paint which I doubt its durability. Grip to twist is not so good, especially the mode control knob and temperature knob. I think its the reason why Honda made flat knobs instead of round. [roll]

Center knob aka Air flow control knob is easy to turn though.

20150108_151157_BEST.jpg

There was a problem with this purchase. The seller sent me black/white color ring instead of blue/white that I had asked for and the ring had cracked in transit (On 'L' letter).

However, the seller was sorry about this issue and processed refunded.

Review: Quality and finishing is good but its made of plastic and sticker. No aluminum or radium to shine in dark so not worth to buy.

Thats it for now.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
hi Dr.Mudhan. i must thank you for such a great thread. your efforts are highly appreciated.
sir what cards do you use for making payments at aliexpress.com. my both credit and debit cards were not accepted. can you guide me through this.

thanks

regards
vaibhav
I would suggest that whenever u buy from Aliexpress.com dont choose shipping by China Post. I have not received the products since last 3-4 months.

Thanks TSIVipul for pointing out my tyres.

Yes, they are 195/60R15 not 16 and they are 0.8% bigger than the stock 175/65R15 (permited level for upsizing is 3%)

This was just a brief intro story. But, no that was not a Mercedes Benz (remember, I was driving those days and MBs were considered for those who were chauffeured.
My Honda City S-MT at Rs. 6.2 lacs, priestine, except for one scratch on bumber and one on one of the RVM (which is since been covered by 3M with their 1080 body-skin film that looks like carbon-graphite weave).

And, Dr. Mudhan has prompted me to get those door-latch covers (a cool thing that Honda should have done at the factory, among other things).

Here's a new lead for LED freaks. In Chennai, (most parts of India, for that matter) the streets are badly lit, and we sometime accidentally step into a puddle of water (or muck) when getting out of the car. I have ordered a set of 4 bright LEDs 'bolt lights' from Ozinium in US (with IP68 waterproof certification) that will be connected to the door-light switch with the LEDs mounted under the doors (panels) $40 for a set of 4 including shipping (3 sizes of 6, 11 and 16 mm diameter are available). The unit will create a pool of light on the floor when the door is opened. And I think these Ozinium guys are really cool, and really a refreshing change after dealing with AliExpress and Ebay.
Flush Mount LED Bolt

Hope some will find this link useful. Until next time.
Should read "Oznium" not Ozinium.... my typo.
-SR

Top Bottom