Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Review & Pictures

Gentlemen,
This is my first post. I am contemplating buying a Pajero sport in Feb 2016. Any idea when will the new Pajero be launched in India? I am referring to the one which will be unveiled in Thailand on 1st Aug.

Dr.kaustubh, the braking is good, very good. There are three parts - 1) at normal driving, it is not feather touch at all, but appropriate pressure produces the desired result. At high speeds also, there is hardly any suggestion that one needs to get desperate at any time 2) the stability of the vehicle is exceptional and that helps in braking. There is no deviation from the straight line, so you fell very confident once you are used to the car. It doesnt matter if the road is skiddy, wet, uneven etc. Nothing really makes any difference. It just brakes exactly in a straight line. 3) the engine braking - this is one area I am still getting to understand. Let me explain.

The RPMs at different stages are as follows: for idling without AC it is around 700, with AC it is 900, for 100kmph in 5th gear it is 2100 approx. Till now, what I have observed is that at speeds of 80kmph or less, if I coast, the RPM falls to 900 or even 800. There is no engine braking. If I am doing 120, and coast, the RPM falls to around 1700 and gradually decreases as the speed falls. If I am around 90kmph, and coast then RPM falls to around 1600-1700, and if I press paddle shift + it eases into 5th and engine braking reduces.

This seems to suggest that at higher speeds coasting is accompanied by engine braking. I remember reading in the manual about engine braking kicking in while driving downhill.

So while this is an aspect I have to study, I have no doubt in my mind that the braking as it currently is, is excellent. I am told that the rear drum brakes are much better than that of Fortuner which has had reports of drum overheating as the drums are bigger and gap between drum and wheel is insufficient to permit cooling. Have not studied this in detail though.

If I had rear discs also, I could definitely drive at higher speeds more often, but whether I actually would exploit that extra freedom I doubt. I am driving quite freely as it is. In a recent drive with 4 adults including myself totally around 350kgs, the Pajero Sport behaved exceptionally well in difficult foggy, wet, skiddy and rainy conditions, and permitted quite good speeds with complete stability and excellent braking. Keeping aside luxury and power, in terms of balance and stability, I think it is difficult to ask more.

Last edited:
Dr.kaustubh, the braking is good, very good. There are three parts - 1) at normal driving, it is not feather touch at all, but appropriate pressure produces the desired result. At high speeds also, there is hardly any suggestion that one needs to get desperate at any time 2) the stability of the vehicle is exceptional and that helps in braking. There is no deviation from the straight line, so you fell very confident once you are used to the car. It doesnt matter if the road is skiddy, wet, uneven etc. Nothing really makes any difference. It just brakes exactly in a straight line. 3) the engine braking - this is one area I am still getting to understand. Let me explain.

The RPMs at different stages are as follows: for idling without AC it is around 700, with AC it is 900, for 100kmph in 5th gear it is 2100 approx. Till now, what I have observed is that at speeds of 80kmph or less, if I coast, the RPM falls to 900 or even 800. There is no engine braking. If I am doing 120, and coast, the RPM falls to around 1700 and gradually decreases as the speed falls. If I am around 90kmph, and coast then RPM falls to around 1600-1700, and if I press paddle shift + it eases into 5th and engine braking reduces.

This seems to suggest that at higher speeds coasting is accompanied by engine braking. I remember reading in the manual about engine braking kicking in while driving downhill.

So while this is an aspect I have to study, I have no doubt in my mind that the braking as it currently is, is excellent. I am told that the rear drum brakes are much better than that of Fortuner which has had reports of drum overheating as the drums are bigger and gap between drum and wheel is insufficient to permit cooling. Have not studied this in detail though.

If I had rear discs also, I could definitely drive at higher speeds more often, but whether I actually would exploit that extra freedom I doubt. I am driving quite freely as it is. In a recent drive with 4 adults including myself totally around 350kgs, the Pajero Sport behaved exceptionally well in difficult foggy, wet, skiddy and rainy conditions, and permitted quite good speeds with complete stability and excellent braking. Keeping aside luxury and power, in terms of balance and stability, I think it is difficult to ask more.
thanx for such a detailed reply. good to know that without stability program vehicle behaves excellent (hats off to engineering).
but at high speeds using (-) paddle does it cause engine braking to some extent or does it help in braking?

Hi Friends - Today, i got the delivery of the PS AT 4X2, Deep mica Blue.great feeling and looks amazing.still trying to sunkin the feeling of getting this car.spoke to the dealer additionally and convinced him to give me Michelin Latitude Cross and he did it without any additional charges, plus door visors and Fog Lamp chrome(TBD).I will upload the photos from home.
Any initial guidance etc to take care of ? when i change from Reverse mode to Drive mode..it gives me a push or jatka..am i releasing the acc fast ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anbarasan:
congrats on your new blue beast,it might be possible that jhatka is because of acc pedal released fast or vehicle is not full stationary or at hault while going from R to D

Thread Starter #143
thanx for such a detailed reply. good to know that without stability program vehicle behaves excellent (hats off to engineering).
but at high speeds using (-) paddle does it cause engine braking to some extent or does it help in braking?
Its always best you use engine braking before the brake pedals, in case of an AT , downshifting using paddles would be a good idea especially in harsh braking cases. My suggestion always is to drive minimizing brake usage. Lot of people complain of brake pad replacement at even 8-10k kms for the manual version, AT can get worse. However i have done already 21k on my original pads and it might still last a bit more, my hope is atleast 28k which is then borderline ok for me.

All thanks to Arun Gupta, IR , Sharpshooter, Devdath, Anshuman, Satpal. actually the list is long enough for an Oscar speech to include fellows both from TAI & TBHP ) have taken delivery of PS Titanium Grey Last Friday . The car is every bit of what all of you have penned down. A big thanks again for all the inputs from this silent observer, someone who has been a bench warmer for some time and just took the plunge :)

Ownership thread shall work on soon.

Cheers
Kartik

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen,
This is my first post. I am contemplating buying a Pajero sport in Feb 2016. Any idea when will the new Pajero be launched in India? I am referring to the one which will be unveiled in Thailand on 1st Aug.
The new PS is not likely to be launched before the festive season next year.

The current launches being contemplated are the Montero and the Outlander.

@Rajivluvstheblues:
Sirji count me in for the Pajero Sport MiVEC. Blame the IR for this interest and especially the way he puts his views about this upcoming Mitsubishi. I have been a bit aware of the vehicle and if my calculations about the testing to launching ets are right then we will get to see it before one complete year on our roads. Along with the coming Fortuner maybe!

BTW once again my choice of the two, the Fortuner will also come with a new design and a 2.4 + 2.8l engine combo. Is expected to get a better suspension and better ride and handling. But I am sure that Toyota will price is equally high as much are changes [evil]. Adding more to the voes is the Endy 3.2!! Outright power is still something that is more pleasing than many other factors.

@IR Sir:
I agree on the point of engine braking and I hope you also agree on the part that it's fine only in the higher gears. The lower gears in these big hearted diesels has a very jerkiness in engine braking and one has to use clutch + brake while the vehicle is in lower gears.

Rest I never recommend the sudden and quick downshifting during hard braking! BTW you get enough time to do that in emergency situations? This practice not only pushes engine to the rev limiter but can also cause the driving wheels to get slightly locked up while the smaller gear is reached and you will never like to have it done while giving a steering input IMO.

The practice I follow is:
Engine braking:
On highway when I know I have to stop at a certain distance. Leave the gas pedal and keep downshifting wits revs felling till 3rd cog and then press the clutch+brake .
In city the engine braking is fine even till 2nd cog. The first one is too jerky.

During emergency:
It's always engine brake + brake without downshifting and both hands on wheel if I am at 100+.
It's clutch+brake if I am at 60 or below; even if I hit something. This really helps because engine is not bogged down and one can downshift and fly in a moment. :stupid:

As sharpshooter mentioned, the PS AT gearbox is not very happy downshifting quickly, even under engine braking. It tries its best to hold to the higher gear for as much as possible; maybe this is the reasons they gave the pedal shifters because their gearbox really annoys at times. Heck, I guess I was talking to you over this just a couple of days back. Although the PS has got everything nearly right but the gearbox needs to be worked on, it seems to be more biased towards FE and performance thing is driver centric with those pedal shifters.

@Anbarasan:
Sirji is your vehicle stationary when you make this transition? It is a bit strange you know.
This one may sound weird to some A/T owners but I recommend you to follow this practice once and let us know if the problem still persists:
Bring the vehicle to complete halt and disengage the reverse. Wait for a second or two and engage the drive mode. Now check if the 'jatka' is still there.

@Kartik:
Congrats for acquiring the devil's ride. Once own this and nothing else will make you feel the same in the price bracket.

@Kartik:
Congrats for acquiring the devil's ride. Once own this and nothing else will make you feel the same in the price bracket.[/QUOTE]

Thnx Vipul, you just read my mind on it :)

@Rajivluvstheblues:
Sirji count me in for the Pajero Sport MiVEC. Blame the IR for this interest and especially the way he puts his views about this upcoming Mitsubishi. I have been a bit aware of the vehicle and if my calculations about the testing to launching ets are right then we will get to see it before one complete year on our roads. Along with the coming Fortuner maybe!

BTW once again my choice of the two, the Fortuner will also come with a new design and a 2.4 + 2.8l engine combo. Is expected to get a better suspension and better ride and handling. But I am sure that Toyota will price is equally high as much are changes [evil]. Adding more to the voes is the Endy 3.2!! Outright power is still something that is more pleasing than many other factors.

@IR Sir:
I agree on the point of engine braking and I hope you also agree on the part that it's fine only in the higher gears. The lower gears in these big hearted diesels has a very jerkiness in engine braking and one has to use clutch + brake while the vehicle is in lower gears.

Rest I never recommend the sudden and quick downshifting during hard braking! BTW you get enough time to do that in emergency situations? This practice not only pushes engine to the rev limiter but can also cause the driving wheels to get slightly locked up while the smaller gear is reached and you will never like to have it done while giving a steering input IMO.

The practice I follow is:
Engine braking:
On highway when I know I have to stop at a certain distance. Leave the gas pedal and keep downshifting wits revs felling till 3rd cog and then press the clutch+brake .
In city the engine braking is fine even till 2nd cog. The first one is too jerky.

During emergency:
It's always engine brake + brake without downshifting and both hands on wheel if I am at 100+.
It's clutch+brake if I am at 60 or below; even if I hit something. This really helps because engine is not bogged down and one can downshift and fly in a moment. :stupid:

As sharpshooter mentioned, the PS AT gearbox is not very happy downshifting quickly, even under engine braking. It tries its best to hold to the higher gear for as much as possible; maybe this is the reasons they gave the pedal shifters because their gearbox really annoys at times. Heck, I guess I was talking to you over this just a couple of days back. Although the PS has got everything nearly right but the gearbox needs to be worked on, it seems to be more biased towards FE and performance thing is driver centric with those pedal shifters.

@Anbarasan:
Sirji is your vehicle stationary when you make this transition? It is a bit strange you know.
This one may sound weird to some A/T owners but I recommend you to follow this practice once and let us know if the problem still persists:
Bring the vehicle to complete halt and disengage the reverse. Wait for a second or two and engage the drive mode. Now check if the 'jatka' is still there.

@Kartik:
Congrats for acquiring the devil's ride. Once own this and nothing else will make you feel the same in the price bracket.
Thanks a lot Vipul. The wait has become longer

Hi All,
Completed first 1000 Kms run last week. first service was carried out at Vivek Motors Gbz, without any issues. and zero bill.

Took the PS for a 1700 kms run Delhi-Shimla-Kaza-Chandartal-Manali-Delhi post that . Since above was completed in 4 days the car was driven for long hrs on the run.

Have to admit the vehicle performed exceptionally across the terrain.
Only complaints being of RLHS Break pad giving hissing sound going in the hills for 4-5 hrs continuous run. Solution to it was to pour spring water on the disc , leading to vapors and finally cooling and steering remote control acting funny.
The Kaza -Chandertal-Manali section is a riverbed to drive on and apart from some minor sections requiring 4x4 rest all were done easily in 2 Wheel drive . Yes the low end grunt need adjustment to driving style , however once in power band the vehicle roars. FE was arnd 8.5 in mountains and 11 on highways.
Max Alt 15060 Ft i.e. Kunzum La
Thanx again to all the inputs on the forum, loved it all the more among the mountains.

Cheers
Kartik
PS shall upload the videos soon
[:)]

Attachments

Thread Starter #150
^^ Fantastic pictures Kartik, we need more.
Brake pads giving noise and heating up probably is a case of something lodged between the brakepad/ disc ? May be putting water helped you dislodge it ?
How was overall reliability and cold starting in mornings ?

Top Bottom