Which Pre-Owned Car For My Dad?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am shopping a car for my dad. The requirements are simple. Below as listed:

-> Budget 2L (+15-20k - car to be bought in chennai)
-> with PS & AC
-> Tall boy prefered
-> easy to park and drive within the city (mileage doesnt concern us)
-> should be after 2005/6 model.

Our initial short lists included the below:

-> Xing
-> Estillo

Guys please pour in your thoughts.

I wouldn't prefer the Estilo, It has problems with the rear door locks and suspension on the earlier models. Four of my friends have Estilos,two of them had suspension problems and all of them had problems with the rear door locks. All cars were the early models.
My suggestion is to go for a wagon R. You can't go wrong with it.

Last edited:
MutantX, both the cars which you have short listed are in your budget.
IMO go for Santro Xing which offers better comfort than Estilo.
Following fit in your budget and at the same time fulfill your requirements. Though there are a few more cars which you will get in this budget.

Santro Xing Variants- XK and XL.
WagonR variants- LXi

Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys. WagonR is kinda ruled out. My dad doesnt like it. How about Spark with PS? used car prices in chennai are a little on the higher side.

Spark is not a tallboy! And i would never recommend Spark for your dad, thanks to its cramped interior.
I would have given you a green light for Spark if it was for you, but for your dad i think comfort should be a high priority.

Thread Starter #7
The new wagonR is a beauty but the 2005 model just isnt convincing. I shall ask him to TD those models also. Let him check how good WagonR is.

My suggestion is the WagonR, as it is sort of trouble - free compared to the Estilo. Look only at the LXi and VXi, and avoid the LX.
If your dad doesn't favor it, look at the Santro, in the Xing eRLX guise. As a package, it is as good as the WagonR, with slightly lesser resale and better looks(for your dad) An XG or XL would be ideal.

I think you should go for the Xing. its supremely reliable, has better quality interiors, the engine is more refined & peppy, has an amazing steering feel & a super gearshift. the only negative is it has a bouncy rear suspension but that will hardly bother your dad since he will drive.

AMG

Suspended
Santro is a better choice.

Hyundai cars are known to be relatively trouble free.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks guys. Let me have a look at the Xing (eRLX version). Let me get back with the prices quoted.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks Arkin. Budget is at 2.1L at the Max. Let me find out some prices in and around chennai for the eRLX model.

Hmmm even i would suggest a Xing as i feel its better than the Estilo overall.

You can get used Xing's around 2.3L easily. If you want help i will PM you a second hand car dealer's number i know.

Top Bottom