The Tiger – My Tata Tigor XZA

Yesterday morning when I tried to start the car, it wasn't fully cranking (Android screen was on). Turned the key off /on and again tried but same result. Now, switched off the android screen and tried again and this time the engine started. (I never use to pump the accelerator whenever tries to start the engine and same way I started the engine yesterday).
I guess the battery is dying and not able to support the basic cranking load. You can see that behaviour when the android screen was ON, cranking was difficult but when the screen was turned off, the engine started.

From this, I think you need to evaluate the wiring connection made for the android screen. It looks to be drawing power from the battery when the engine is off (I may be wrong too sir).

After seeing google search replies, I checked the battery using the multimeter and the reading shown as 12.4 when the engine was off. I think this reading looks good, but I am not happy with what happened yesterday.
Since you had a bad experience yesterday, I suggest you get a multimeter and check the cranking voltage - this should be around 11V. Anything below will make the cranking difficult.

After the engine has started, connect the multimeter again to the battery terminals and check the voltage - it should be around 14.1 to 14.4V. This will ascertain if the charging circuit is okay or not.

In view of this situation, I am seriously thinking to change the battery and checked the Batterybhai.com who suggests below models for the Tata Tigor Petorl variant

Tata Green DIN44R-PR2424 (44Ah) - Rs.5100/-
Exide FMLO-MLDIN44R (44Ah) - Rs.4700/-
SF Sonic F4WO-HX-DIN47RMF (47Ah) - Rs.4300/-
Amaron AAM-FL-550113042R (50Ah) - Rs.4700/-
The existing one I presume must be Exide, Right?

I'll suggest Amaron over anything else. [:)]

Did not check the price with any local battery store yet.
Check locally, should get it cheaper than online rates plus you can check the manufacturing date of the battery before installation.

Thread Starter #167

Nairrk

Honoured Member
@anuraagshenoy - Thanks for your guidance/comments.

Just to make sure, I have taken the voltage reading again now using a multimeter and it shows as under:

Vehicel Idle condition - 12.43
Key on - 12.04
Engine running - 14.26
Headlights and parking ligjhts on - 14.10
Engine switched off - 12.85

(I did not check the voltage with A/C on[embarass])

From the above voltage reading it seems battery still has some life, but not sure the status once headlights and A/C ON condition. Planning to take the car to nearby battery shop and ask them to check the life of the battery to make sure whether to change or run with it for some more time.

The existing battery is Amaron - 12v 39Ah, dated 20th August 2018.

I didn't check that. I need someone to crank the engine while I take the readings!
Sure sir. This value is important since that shall be one of the deciding factors determining the battery health.

Also, since the weather is cooler from now onwards, the strain on the battery will be higher, especially for diesel engines.

Vehicel Idle condition - 12.43
Key on - 12.04
Engine running - 14.26
Headlights and parking ligjhts on - 14.10
Engine switched off - 12.85
I presume, values pertaining to 'Vehicle idle condition', 'Key ON' and 'Engine switched off' are values where the battery is powering the electricals. Headlights and parking lights ON, the value should have been higher I guess.

Thread Starter #171

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Thank you sir for the values.

What was the voltage obtained at the time of cranking the engine?
Today I got a chance to check the voltage whilst cranking the engine - it came down to 9.7/9.9 levels.

So, I presume its time to change the battery. (Today morning I tried to start the engine but successful only after the third attempt).

Today I got a chance to check the voltage whilst cranking the engine - it came down to 9.7/9.9 levels.

So, I presume its time to change the battery. (Today morning I tried to start the engine but successful only after the third attempt).
IMHO, change the battery as soon as you can since straining the electricals isn't good for the car.

The OEM Exide battery (12V 60Ah) on my Creta lasted for 11 months. Claimed warranty from Hyundai and got immediate replacement. Swapped to Amaron AAM-FL-0BH90D23L (12V 68Ah) on the same day as I got the Exide. This Amaron battery has run ~1,00,000kms (~4.1 years).

On 19th July, the Amaron died in the parking lot. As I had the jumper cables in the cars boot, used another car to crack my Creta and reach the nearest battery store where I got the replacement at a good price.

Thread Starter #174

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Battery update

Checked with the Amaron local shop who quoted Rs.7200/- for AMARON FLO Automotive Battery - 550113042 (AAM-FL-550113042).
Final price Rs.5800/- with old battery return.

Asked me to bring the car tomorrow so that they can check the existing battery and do the needful.

Shall keep you informed, guys.

Thread Starter #175

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Whilst waiting for the car battery check up and replacement, have renewed the insurance today (expires on 30th August 2023).

IDV - Rs.308945/-

Basic OD premium - Rs.7887
RSA - Rs.199
Total - Rs.8086

Savings:
Anti-theft Device Discount - Rs.197
Automobile Association Membership discount - Rs.200
NCB - Rs.3745
Total savings - Rs.4142

Total OD Premium - Rs.3944

Basic third party LIability - Rs.3416
IGST - Rs.1324.80

Personal Protect Insurance - Rs.384/- (including Tax) for coverage of Rs.3 lakh

Total premium Paid - Rs.9069/-
///

Thread Starter #178

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Finally, changed the Car battery today.

Battery shop technician checked the battery and confirm that battery cells are weak and unable hold a charge (also battery water at the lowest level).

Two months back I did a paid service with Tata Dealer service centre and seems they did not bother to check the battery condition - should have at least topped up with some battery water [gun]

Battery model: Amaron FLO - AAM-FL-550113042 (manufacturing month 07/23)
Warranty: Free replacement by equivalent /same size battery - 36 months
Prorata compensation on prevailing MRP - 36 monrhs
Amount paid: Rs.5700/- (7200 - 1500 old battery exchange+ discount).

IMG_20230817_115707.jpg

IMG_20230817_115717.jpg

Thanks

Two months back I did a paid service with Tata Dealer service centre and seems they did not bother to check the battery condition - should have at least topped up with some battery water
Please don't keep any kind of hopes from any ASC unless you really know the owner or SA's there who genuinely listen to you and genuinely work on your car as per the SOP they have.

With the number of cars handled everyday at these ASC's battery water check is a minor thing and not many would prefer to get into such details unless specified by the customer. Doing their routine jobs of oil and filter change without any issues itself is sufficient IMHO.

Battery model: Amaron FLO - AAM-FL-550113042 (manufacturing month 07/23)

Amount paid: Rs.5700/- (7200 - 1500 old battery exchange+ discount)
I paid ₹5,500 after exchange. Any specific reason for the cost for the Tiago? (pardon my ignorance).

Thread Starter #180

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I paid ₹5,500 after exchange. Any specific reason for the cost for the Tiago? (pardon my ignorance).
I am not sure whether any difference in batteries of Tiago and Tigor. Anycase, the difference is just Rs.200/-. May be the prices varies depends on the tax structure of the State etc.?

Top Bottom