Tata Safari Storme Breaks Cover (Launch Coverage: Pg.301+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tata Safari Storme Breaks Cover (Launch Coverage: Pg.322+)

@ Vichu
Congratzzzzz buddy..[clap]
Is it from concorde or Rf ??
What's there at Bolgatty palace? Is it official launch of Storme in Kerala or GKSF programme?
Lucky to get the keys of your beast from Kerala CM Oomen Chandy[clap]
I think this is first time that CM inaugurating the sales of an automobile and that too the REFINED BEAST[clap]

It was just another normla day routine at work, suddenly received a call from Raja.

Raja : Are you free today? I have received call from Fortune Motors, Powai. They are providing me TD evhicle at my home.
Me : Wait I will confirm you in a minute.
Raja : OK I will give your number to SA, he will call you and you confirm with him.
Me : OK.

Checked the calender for meetings, had chat with team members. Not much workload. In the meatime recieved call from SA.

SA : Sir Shekhar from Fortune Motors, Powai. Raviraj Sir gave your number.
Me : Yes, we can go for TD now. I will acccopany you till Chembur and will come back with you.
SA : When can you come here?
Me : Will be there in 10 minutes. (Fortune Motors, is just 5-10 min away from the place where I work)

As promised, I was there in 10 minutes. SA was finishing off with some final formalities and taking some brochure with him. It took him 20-30 min to complete formatities. I was just trying to kill my time there looking at the Urban Bronze Storme in display in showroom. Then he comes saying sir, vehicle is ready, lets go. I informed him, I have not driven any UV yet, so you drive and give me the vehicle when we touch highway.

Vehicle for TD was VX 4X2 White color. He sat on driver's seat and I was on co-driver. I have already given my initial impressions in thread before only, so not going to repeat it again.

He cranked the engine, and without any hassle or without making more noise engine started. Cabin inside was extremely silent. He slotted first gear and here we go, man he was driving Storme as if he was driving any small hatchback. I almost had my heart in my mouth on many occasions. In the flow of his spirited driving he some how happen to jump the red signal and cops caught him. wasted 15 odd minutes there.

Now back to business, Storme was eating up potholes like there is almost no pothole. at speed of 80kmph he took a big "C" turn , and I admit there is body roll. But very less than what I expected. Minimal I can say. Then we reach Extern Express Highway. Now it was my turn to try out my hands pon beast. I sat on driver seat, adjusted the seat.
Slotted first gear, and cautiously lifted my left foot from clutch and beast started moving. Slotted second gear, then third , fourth and then fifth. And then I saw at instrument cluster and I was easily cruising at 90 KMPH without much hassle.Most I could achieve was 100 kmph on that road. I changed lane very sharply as I do in my Punto and to my surprise Storme exceedded my expectation, With minimal body roll it was sharply changing lane like beast crouching its prey. As mentioned earlier, I again felt bit of virbations on the gear knob. That may be because, I am used to Punto and I also I have habit of driving with one hand on steering wheel and other on gear knob. Many would just slot the gear and off goes hand on steering wheel.

Then was the time to test the the beast on lower RPMs. 3rd gear 900RPM and on speed of I dont remember. Beast was moving without any knocking. Then Highway ended and we entered internal city roads with full of traffic. As stated earlier Storme was easier to drive then Punto in bumper to bumper traffic. Partly because no one was comming near the beast also. Respect beast earned on road was awesome. You can easily use clutch to move the beat in bumper to bumper traffic.

Then after crusing our way into the traffic we reached the destination where Mr. Raja was waiting for us. We met Raja. Took many pics of beast and myself , SA and Raja. Then we had nicee coffee and pastry. Thanks to Raja. Had good chat with SA. asking him few questions about Storme. One of the famous question was why 1DIN, on that he said. TATA higher management people said that Storme is posed as off roader. SO during off roading, the electronic bits inside 2DIN system with get loose. 1DIN will be perfectly alright, it have been very tightly screwed and wired. Nothing will get loosen up. Actually this was very hard for me to digest. But 1DIN was never my concern.

Then we again set out for long drive. I took the wheels again. Took a U turn, was very happy to see that it is easier to take U turn in Storme thne in my Punto. Then set straight on Chembur Vashi highway. Curisng my way on bad roads as well. It was just awesome.
On 5th gear, I let the beast slow down till 1000-1100 RPM and then applied accelerator, to my surprise it responded really well. Beast geathered speed very quickly. This does not happen son my Punto, it take ages to gather the momentum. I think this is magic of VGT, but this is just my assumption, Gurus can throw some light on this.

Then after one point, we took U turn again and then we spotted AUDI Q5. Took some pics for comparison and it was Raja's turn to try the beast again. He cruised it again and in no time, we were cruising happily on 100 kmph. Now it was Raja's turn to check the ow end torque of the beast.
First gear, riding only on clutch, no accelrator used.
Second gear, riding again only clutch.
Third gear, riding again only clutch.
Fourth gear, riding again only clutch.
Fifth gear, riding again only clutch. RPM was 850-900, speed 35KMPH and Raja's both legs were on Beasts floor, and beast easily took us uphill on the top of the small flyover. There was no knocking and car din't even stall or stopped. Beast was just riding on it's own. Then again raja started cruising.

Now, it was time to check how Storme performs in small gully's of Mumbai. Raja took us through very small lanes, and Storme was very easy to drive through those lanes. The way Raja was drving Never ever did it feel that Raja was driving A big beast SUV.

In the entire TD, I never ever felt that power delivery is not enough, torque was just awesome. SA also picked up car from stand still on 2nd gear. So after wonderful TD we had coffee again. and then me and SA left for Powai. As we both were getting late to our work, I asked SA to drive the beast. And again my heart was in my mouth. He was just driving Storme like any sedan or hatchback. He was driving at the speed of 120 KMPH and there was no noise inside the cabin. Actually I never felt like it was driven at that speed until SA informed me about the same. At one place he misjudged the bumper and Storme was almost in air for fraction of second. Then he dropped me at my work place and he went to his work place. He was really very nice polite guys and he knows much about UVs.

Bits from my side (personal opinion)

1. NVH levels are very well maintained. Cabin is silent.
  2. I tried my best to find anything that could give me the proof of cost cutting, but could not find any. I don't consider 1DIN as cost cutting. I dont have any issues with it.
  3. Low end torque is brilliant. You can easily ride beast on half clutch in Bumper to Bumper traffic.
  4. Glove box was deep, but it was not closing properly. Have to hold the opening handle to close it. And also there was bit un even gap near the right side top corner of glove box lid.
  5. Music controls on stalk are very easy to use.
  6. Horn are feminine, who ever buys Storme please change the horn to something louder and manly, atleast the one which Ventos and Polos have.
  7. Steering is the only thing I dont like. Dont even feel classy.
  8. ORVMs are huge, I could see the vehicle behind from the right ORVM.
  9. Body roll is present, but very minimal.
  10. Turbo Lag? I dont believe in this.
  11. Seat belt warning beeps when you start the ignition, where as it should beep when you start moving vehicle without seat belt.
  12. ORVM adjustment knob are are good to hold. Press once down, ORVM will close automatically and press once up to open those again.
  13. Third row seats are only for people with height less than 5.3.

This is all from my side, Raja please add the bits I have missed.

It was just another normla day routine at work, suddenly received a call from Raja.

Raja : Are you free today? I have received call from Fortune Motors, Powai. They are providing me TD evhicle at my home.
Me : Wait I will confirm you in a minute.
Raja : OK I will give your number to SA, he will call you and you confirm with him.
Me : OK.
Nice write up dharmesh can't be better then this .

The best part of the test drive which even I tested was the pulling power of storme , as you remember without even giving any throttle , the car was able to climb the small bridge in 5th gear at speed of 35 . I agree its not a best way to drive the car but it just shows the pulling power of storme .

And as you correctly mentioned , once you start driving not even once you feel you are driving a huge 2 ton vehicle .

Storme can shock you with its huge gigantic presence and again will shock you when you with super ease take u turns its very easy to drive SUV .

And as ever its allways fun to meet the amazingly energetic dharmesh .

@ iron rock

when will be the official review be up sir ? and will this thread be closed ?

Last edited:

@dharmesh buddy, excellent write-up. Your findings are so similar to mine specially regarding the body roll and NVH levels.

freakdude.

More confusion and delima... I Love storme but after 6 months a new version of Storme will be launched [anger]. What to do now? I have already sold my old car to buy Storme but these news of "Tata to introduce a more luxurious version of the Safari Storme" is making me confuse. After 6 months i don't want to regret of my decision.
Guys what's your take on this?
I don't think this should be major issue & these features I feel will come only in VX models. So, if you are looking at lx or ex, you can buy now. Again, I am sure that the new system will be compatible with existing one, so even if you buy vx, its good. And this is just a news, who knows it is mid 2013 or early 2014 or maybe limited edition or even ZX which may even come with DVD player with duel screen for rear passengers. Enjoy the moment, buy now.

@ Raja, Dharmesh,

Thanks for the pics. That Audi Q5 doesn't feel worth 4-5 times the cost of Storme. In anycase, I am not a fan of Q series or BMW X series.

@ All,

If you already own a car & have No Claim Bonus on insurance, this bonus can be taken even on new car.[clap] This way you will save insurance irrespective from where you take it. The only condition is that the owner name should be the same.

Black Storme 2 year wait finallyyyyy over.. sorry for the poor picture..
Congratulations buddy for acquiring the beast[clap] and achieving your dream.
Waiting for a wonderful ownership review.

It was just another normla day routine at work, suddenly received a call from Raja......................
A wonderful report buddy. Enjoyed reading every bit of it. Feeling bit jealous of you and Raja now as guys are getting tons of opportunity to ride the Beast[:)]. Can't wait to get my hands dirty on this super beast.

It's eminent from your review and from other as well that the pulling power is very good for Storme and i don't see that steering height problem (touching the knees) as a major one. Some people might have it but it depends on the seating style of every individual.

And it's not just Storme where the third row seats are uncomfortable for taller guys but it's with every other SUV in that price range. Even in XUV as well. So that's something common and cannot be taken as a drawback for Storme. But i see many people taking this as a negative point for ONLY Storme.

@RAJA: Bro those are some really nice pics of Storme and as always the beast is looking awesome in White.

And Q5 looks like a baby elephant in front of Storme[lol]

And it's not just Storme where the third row seats are uncomfortable for taller guys but it's with every other SUV in that price range. Even in XUV as well. So that's something common and cannot be taken as a drawback for Storme. But i see many people taking this as a negative point for ONLY Storme.
That is actually not even third row. These are mere jump seats.
The jump seats are useful only if you want to stretch your legs & take someone on the lap. [;)]

That is actually not even third row. These are mere jump seats.
The jump seats are useful only if you want to stretch your legs & take someone on the lap. [;)]
If it's a seat buddy you can definitely sit on them right[:)].

I guess a person with a height 5.3-5.5 can easily fit in there without a problem.

If it's a seat buddy you can definitely sit on them right.
Well, I won't explain in detail, else it will be deleted by mods. [;)]
Hope you understand :).

I guess a person with a height 5.3-5.5 can easily fit in there without a problem.
The issue I see is of headroom only. 5.3 may fit there.

@ All,

Many have done TD & some already bought storme. Has anyone sat on jump seats & experienced ride quality ? I know this is useless, but what's the harm in trying it out ? Lets see whether to make our friends sit there or enemy. [lol]

Today was an exceptionally lucky day for me. I had Storme and Duster test driven back to back. I have already posted my observations from Storme's drive so this would be primarily a comparo between Storme and Duster with Scorpio pitching in occasionally for the sake of head-on comparison.

Let's compare the so called beasts now :

ENGINE

The 2.2L 16 Valve DOHC VTT VariCOR heart of Storme clearly stole my heart. It's very refined and doesn't feel like you're driving a diesel mammoth. Also, surprisingly, it's so damn rev happy which diesels usually aren't. On the other hand, Duster's 1.5 dCi K9K THP is equally refined thought not that peppy as Storme. Also, what I felt that Duster takes a while to take-off where as Storme just flies from idle. now, most of us would say that Storme has .7 ltr bigger engine more HP and what not, but we should not forget that Storme is some 720 kgs heavier than Duster. Scorpio's mhawk CRDe on the contrary feels harsh as compared to the above two.
(Two of my close friends have same Scorpio and I have driven them extensively at occasions)

NVH

This is one area where Storme scores way above Duster and Scorpio. Second would be Duster and last would be Scorpio for me. Enter the cabin of Storme and turn on the ignition and you are thrown-in a surprise. Boy oh boy it's silent. Step out of the vehicle and you can hear the Storme's heart. Duster is also equally good inside the cabin but more audible than Storme on the outside. Scorpio's engine can be easily heard inside as cabin insulation is not that good. But Scorpio's idle clatter is much refined that duster's idle.

SUSPENSION

Storme easily takes the cake here. With the newly tuned suspension and chassis, it now faces a lot lesser body roll. Also, there is almost negligible nose dive even at high speed braking. I could easily take turns at 60-70 speeds without breaking a sweat. Duster surprised me with equally good suspension set-up, awesomely tuned, no flex at all(Storme still has it though very very less). The suspension of Duster is tuned a bit on the firmer side but it is what I would really like on a vehicle of this size, but on the other hand, this stiff suspension hinders you from off-roading frequently as your co-passengers would start cursing you.

DRIVEABILITY

Here comes the most important aspect that usually makes or breaks the deal. Anybody willing to go for an SUV, my humble request, have an extensive drive of Duster and Scorpio. When you are done have a short spin in Storme as it would be more than enough for you to find out that Storme indeed in the real king here. It just gives you that adrenalin rush. Drives as if you are maneuvering a hatchback. Stops in meters of hard braking with definite bite that you can feel the ABS working. Duster on the other hand didn't inspire confidence when I took it above 120. It not like that it was not planted, it was and very well, maybe it was the puny steering holding feel that was giving me shivers. Braking, though is excellent in Duster, a notch better that Storme. I was surprised to see Duster not giving me confidence to go faster as I was expecting it to be as it is lesser in height than Storme so was expected to have better center of gravity. Scorpio is a bit better in this respect to Duster.

COMFORT

Just loved the seating of Duster. The moment you are seated you feel as if Duster is hugging you, embracing you. All controls are placed very ergonomically. Frontal road view is excellent though it is better in Storme due to higher seating. Driving a Sorme is easier than Duster, I know I might be inviting a few raised eyebrows for this but this is what I felt. Scorpio is almost as comfortable but still behind Storme.

INTERIORS

Nothing exceptional is either of them. But if I had to pick the best it would be Duster due to its darker shared on interior as opposed to creamish in Storme. Add to that the wonderful double din audio system with just average audio quality. What frustrated me most was the positioning of the din audio, it's just straight as opposed to be inclined in most vehicles. This definitely caused problems is seeing what is displayed on the screen. Though the light shaded interiors of Storme liven up the inside of the vehicle, i personally love darker shades (easy to maintain). But I really liked the finish of Storme's chrome door locks and the gear lever/hand brake area.

Bits and Pieces :

1. Even the so called TOP MODEL on Duster doesn't have a lever/electronic operated boot opener.
2. The special fuel lid opener cable on Storme is a beautifully thought add-on.
3. Since the front co-passenger seat is not height adjustable in Duster, my head was bumping into the roof at potholes.
4. Duster's rear seats are really cramped whereas Storme is just space king.
5. Duster's steering doesn't has that meaty feel to hold though behaviors wise it's quite better than Storme.
6. Duster doesn't has door beading just like Etios. Now are all Etios bashers going to declare Duster also as a "cheap product" or "built for India" etc.
7. Duster's top model gets a very neat looking double din audio navi system, thought audio output was pathetic.
8. Storme's jump seats are okish in comfort but far better any existing SUV's. I am quite heavily built and was able to sit with ease on them.

A few pics for all to feast upon. Didn't click any of Storme as my phones batter ran out of steam, moreover, had already clicked Storme in my earlier drive.

2012-12-21 13.40.25.jpg

2012-12-21 13.40.33.jpg

2012-12-21 13.40.46.jpg

2012-12-21 13.41.15.jpg

2012-12-21 13.35.46.jpg

2012-12-21 13.34.44.jpg

2012-12-21 13.41.45.jpg

2012-12-21 13.41.52.jpg

Friends : Every word written above are solely my observations and I am by no means a professional r an auto expert to comment or give a final word for anything. Request all prospective buyers to TD the vehicles.

freakdude.

Last edited:

Well, I won't explain in detail, else it will be deleted by mods.
Hope you understand :).

The issue I see is of headroom only. 5.3 may fit there.

@ All,

Many have done TD & some already bought storme. Has anyone sat on jump seats & experienced ride quality ? I know this is useless, but what's the harm in trying it out ? Lets see whether to make our friends sit there or enemy. [lol]
Well buddy don't take me wrong but if you yourself say that the MODS will delete your posts than there might be two reasons for that:
1. MODS might think that your post is not logical.
2. Second reason might be that MODS might think that your post didn't suffice your post.

So you need to put really good points which are logical and practical to prove that jump seats are not good/useful[:)].

Again according to me they are not the best but definitely useful when the need arises.

And if someone is looking to buy a SUV with comfortable 3 row then he needs to buy something like this[:D]

Attachments

Well buddy don't take me wrong but if you yourself say that the MODS will delete your posts than there might be two reasons for that:
1. MODS might think that your post is not logical.
2. Second reason might be that MODS might think that your post didn't suffice your post.

So you need to put really good points which are logical and practical to prove that jump seats are not good/useful

Again according to me they are not the best but definitely useful when the need arises.

And if someone is looking to buy a SUV with comfortable 3 row then he needs to buy something like this[:D]
@ Singh

The escalade rock man [clap] specially a white and black .

Comming to Storme, seriously the last row is only for kids , enemies and maybe dogs .

But xuv has a functional last row with front facing seats , the row might be cramped but its way more functional and comfortable then storme .

But then again if you are using the last row in xuv then there is zero space for luggage .

So in the end its you gain and lose something .

But I would never call a storme a 7 seater , its a extremely super comfortable 5 seater spacious SUV only .

@ freak dude

Thanx a lot for the effort man , it was a nice crisp comparo review from you and some nice pics too .

Last edited:

@ Singh

The escalade rock man [clap] specially a white and black .
Yes bro it's one of my fav SUV's. And if you go with the top model it comes with BOSE noise canceling headphones and personal screen for the middle and last row passengers[:)]. So one can watch/listen their own stuff without disturbing other or getting disturbed by others.

Comming to Storme, seriously the last row is only for kids , enemies and maybe dogs .

But xuv has a functional last row with front facing seats , the row might be cramped but its way more functional and comfortable then storme .

But then again if you are using the last row in xuv then there is zero space for luggage .

So in the end its you gain and lose something .

But I would never call a storme a 7 seater , its a extremely super comfortable 5 seater spacious SUV only .
Oh yes i don't deny that and that's why i said it's useful only if the need arises. Otherwise to me all these SUV's are 5 seaters (comfortably) in that price range. But if you have 1-2 extra passengers than the third row comes handy.

And rest i still have to witness both these SUV's in flesh. And that's the point when i can make a final conclusion. And i hope that time comes soon now.

@ freak dude

Thanx a lot for the effort man , it was a nice crisp comparo review from you and some nice pics too .
+100 to that.

IR, waiting impatiently for the review, my friend. Tomorrow, it will be one week since you took the TD, right?

@Dharmesh, Nice report buddy !! thanks to you and Raja

@Freak, very well written comparison buddy, thanks man

@IR, where is the most awaited report ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom