Tata Nexon Test Drive Review

Tata Nexon Petrol XZA+: Ownership Review

I took delivery of my Nexon petrol XZA+, Seattle silver colour on 9th July from Sagar Motors in sector 5 Noida. Since then I have been excited about owning and driving the car, but was not getting enough opportunity to drive it.

I will be posting more detailed reviews of my selection process, buying and delivery experience later. For now posting my experience on extracting maximum mileage on a short highway drive.

Yesterday morning I took my new XZA+ petrol on a short drive to test it's mileage on a highway. My car had run only about 400 km till then. Started early morning at around quarter to seven and drove from my home onto the Noida - greater Noida expressway till Pari chowk and back, a round trip of about 64 Kms.

I wanted to see the maximum mileage which petrol Nexon would give, so I drove in ECO mode throughout, tried to keep the RPM between 1500 and 2000, and the speed between 80-90 km/hr. I also put the AC in economy mode (don't know though what it does and how).

Once on the highway the drive was mostly in 6th gear (auto mode). I had started the trip meter (A) before starting from home. The trip average shown on MID kept on increasing steadily during the drive until it showed a high of around 21.8, at a point when I was driving at a speed of about 70 km/hr for a short while. Otherwise I was maintaing a speed of about 80-90 throughout. Trust me it was quite difficult for me not to exceed 90 on a road that is very smooth to drive on and it was mostly devoid of heavy traffic at that time, but I restrained myself.

The trip completed with the MID showing a trip distance of 64.1 km and an average of 20.6 km/litre. Even if I assume that the MID shows upto 2-3 Kms more, the mileage was pretty impressive, in view of the fact that car is still in its run-in period. Note that I drove in ECO mode, with speed not exceeding 90, and a keen eye on the RPM.

Would love to know similar experience of other nexon petrol owners on TAI.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Tata Nexon Petrol XZA+: Ownership Review

Congrats on your car purchase .Great , I was eagerly waiting for a XZA Petrol review. I am reading that the MID indicator of Tata Nexon is putting +3kmpl higher than the actual mileage. However for a new engine, that is a good value

Few Queries

1) How is the engine noise road noise and wind noise in the cabin? The test drive car I had had poor insulation levels ,especially in sports mode, not sure if its a one off

2) How is the Car pulling in Ecomode on highway ? Does it feel lethargic? How is it compared to your previous car

3) Are the jerks pronounced for in city driving or is it manageable?

4) How is headlight throw during night and does the car inspire confidence on high speed maneuvering

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

I took delivery of my Nexon petrol XZA+, Seattle silver colour on 9th July from Sagar Motors in sector 5 Noida.
Many congratulations on your Nexon. Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask about any doubts and queries regarding your car. Please do post more pics. Feel happy about your choice as now you have a 4 star G-NCAP rated car!. Drive safely.

Last edited:

Congrats.. Wish you a very safe and happy Miles ahead.[clap]

What's the rpm reading when cruising at 80kmph in 6th gear?

congrats on your new possession [clap]

enjoy your ride to the fullest[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,
Congratulations on your TATA Nexon. Wishes to clock many more miles without any issues.

Congrats on your car purchase .Great , I was eagerly waiting for a XZA Petrol review. I am reading that the MID indicator of Tata Nexon is putting +3kmpl higher than the actual mileage. However for a new engine, that is a good value

Few Queries

1) How is the engine noise road noise and wind noise in the cabin? The test drive car I had had poor insulation levels ,especially in sports mode, not sure if its a one off

2) How is the Car pulling in Ecomode on highway ? Does it feel lethargic? How is it compared to your previous car

3) Are the jerks pronounced for in city driving or is it manageable?

4) How is headlight throw during night and does the car inspire confidence on high speed maneuvering
Will try to answer your queries here:
1. I feel the engine noise and road noise inside the cabin are quite less. There is no wind noise. However I do not compare these with my previous vehicle (Honda City) as it was super silent in terms of any noise.

2. Nexon struggles to pull in ECO mode especially till it reaches the fourth gear. Once it reaches cruising speed beyond 60 kmph, it is smooth sailing. However you would be disappointed if you expect pulling power in Eco mode. This mode is meant to give maximum fuel economy, which I believe has been proven by my 'test drive' on highway, as per my post above.

3. I would not call these jerks. It is a momentary lag in speed/ pulling power till the next gear engages and the car picks up speed. Evidently it is felt the most in ECO mode, and almost not there in SPORT mode. The CITY mode is suitable for city driving and you won't complain.

4. I have not done any car manouvering till now in high speed. However I did notice a small misalignment in headlight throw between the left and the right side, which I intend to get rectified when I visit the ASS for the first service.

Today I have posted a few pics of my Nexon with TAI stickers. Check the TAI stickers V2 thread. Keep tuned for my detailed ownership review - which I would be posting in a few days time. I just need to refine my write up and click a few photos to post.

Congratulations on the Nexon XZA+ (Petrol). Have not known much about ownership experience of Petrol Nexon Automatic till now, Things are about to change soon then [:)]
Even with the ever increasing Petrol prices, I feel more inclined todays Petrol engines cause of its Revs

Waiting for the Pictures and more updates

Heartiest congratulations msklilly.

I also own Nexon XZA+(P) albeit in etna orange shade. I took delivery from Concorde Akshardham on 1st aug. Sagar motors is my go to place as I regularly visited there for servicing and check ups of my Zest. Will go there for nexon as well.

It would be great to be connected with you on whatsapp so that we can share frequent updates about our drives. I have sent you an email since your PM facility is still not open.

Last edited:

Congratulations GS Yadav on your new Nexon ! Wishing you many many miles of enjoyable rides in your new car.

Haven't rec'd your email. Yes would be nice to connect with you.

Almost ready to post my detailed review. Keep tuned [:)]

Took another ride on the highway today morning, on the same route (Noida-Greater Noida expressway), same distance. But this time drive was in SPORT mode throughout.

The drive on expressway was a smooth drive as the road is very good and there was very less traffic, being a Sunday morning. The speedometer hovered consistently between 100 and 120 on the expressway, and the rpm around 2500 while cruising. The AC was on throughout.

The end of the trip of 64 km, the average mileage shown on the MID was 13.6. The highest figure shown during the trip was 14.1 while on the expressway. Compare these with the readings while driving in ECO mode, as per my first post above.

I believe the mileage obtained while driving in SPORT mode on hilly routes or while offroading may be much lesser than this.

Attachments

Re: Tata Nexon, the New Compact SUV

No it does not!
V
There are some photos of the TD vehicle attached to this post, all taken with my mobile camera. I am thankful to Tata Motors and Subhadeep Ganguly of R D Motors, Kolkata. The photos are taken after I mercilessly subjected the vehicle on waterlogged, muddy and broken roads. So the look is not actually a reflection of showroom look.

Top Bottom