Sporty Yet Elegant: My Volkswagen Polo TDI (2 Years & 20,000 Kms Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #61
Re: Sporty Yet Elegant: My Candy White Volkswagen Polo TDI

Sorry for the delay as was really caught up with work for the past few days.

Recently,Did one of the longest drive i have ever done yet. 1600kms in 6 days. Went to visit the Holy Amarnath Shrine and along that a mini tour of the Kashmir Valley.

Day 1 - Chandigarh to Udhampur via Jammu - 414kms
Day 2 - Udhampur to Srinagar - 231kms
Day 3 - Srinagar to Sonmarg & Baltal - 71kms
Day 4 - Sonmarg to Anantnag - 133kms
Day 5 - Anantnag to Udhampur - 181kms
Day 6 - Udhampur to Chandigarh - 366kms

Now the plan was me, my sister and a cousin brother would be driving down from Chandigarh to Udhampur in our Polo and my Mom and Dad would be driving down from Dalhousie in the Fiesta and we all will meet up at Udhampur which would be our first night halt. And for the ahead journey it was decided that we all will be driving down in the Fiesta and would leave my Polo behind at a friends place in Udhampur which i was not very keen on as i was hoping I would get to drive my own Polo all the way to Sonmarg and Baltal.

Anyways, we started from Chandigarh on 22nd July at 6AM and went via the Pathankot route. We hit Pathankot at 10.30AM and had a halt for breakfast there. Then we started from Pathankot at around 11.30 and reached Jammu by 1.45PM. We had a nice long stopover at Jammu for 4 hrs where we did some shopping and a little sight seeing and then we finally rushed off to Udhampur from there and reached by 7PM.

My parents had already reached there at Udhampur. We all packed our stuffs and kept everything in the Fiesta & slept early that night as we had to leave for Baltal early next morning around 4AM. We started according to plan from Udhampur next morining at 4AM even before sunrise and i bid goodbye to my Polo for 4-5 odd days. The aim was to be at Srinagar by 10AM so that we could see a little of the place and then move ahead to Sonmarg in the evening.

Dad was in the Driver's seat and everyone else seemed not to have had a goodnight's sleep last night and dozzed off immediately in a matter of minutes(Nobody in my family is a morning person).[embarass]

Just short of Patnitop which is 42kms from Udhampur heard a loud dhud noise and everybody in the backseat woke up. Immediately pulled over the car.Dad had hit a rock stone lying in the middle of the road in the underbelly of the fiesta and there was a massive oil leakage happening from the engine bay area. Within seconds almost all the oil came out and it was still dark and we could not point out which of the oils had actually leaked.

phpKuMXjaAM.jpg
phpLHVsw4AM.jpg
phpjP4eZLAM.jpg
Misty weather in Patnitop
DSC01828.jpg

Dad being in the Indian Army himself called the nearby Army unit for help as the car would not move an inch without the repair.Meanwhile I was trying my luck with the Ford roadside assistance guys. To my surprise they were ready to send a rescue car at 5 in the morning and said that the car will reach there in 45minutes. Charges would be approx Rs1700. Sounded good. But by the time i could tell my Dad about this , the Army Rescue vehicle had reached there to toe the car back to Udhampur.

phpqUIYlLAM.jpg

In the mean time Dad had already called up our family friends in Udhampur to send the Polo to the place where our Fiesta had broken down.So after wasting around 2 hours there in Patnitop and transferring and stuffing all our luggage from the big boot of the fiesta into the Polo's not so big boot, we were finally good to go.

DSC01832.jpg
DSC01836.jpg

The stone lying side by which had hit the under-belly of Fiesta.
DSC01835.jpg

Wow...polos never let its drivers go on other cars [lol]
They always plot to get driven more and more [;)]
@GM... just noticed that ur car had a PB08 number plate but in the latest post its CH01.
How come?

Thread Starter #63

We started from Patnitop in the Polo at around 7.30AM and the Fiesta was sent with the Army rescue truck. The drive to Srinagar is really beautiful. From Patnitop to Banihal there is a constant incline uphill. The road is narrow with lots of traffic and over taking was really difficult as traffic was coming constantly from the opposite side. After Banihal, there comes a tunnel 2.5kms long from where the Kashmir Valley actually starts. Its beautiful the moment you come out of the tunnel. Long plain valley with hills all around and absolute green everywhere.Amazing scenery all around.

son2.jpg
phpeJueGkPM.jpg
phpgxHNKEPM.jpg
phpCwFRx1PM.jpg
sonmarg3.jpg

Polo covered in mud
DSC01851.jpg
DSC01852.jpg

Finally reached Srinagar. Basic attraction for me and my siblings was the Dal lake. As we were running late so just went directly to Dal lake and spent some time there.

php81z7IpPM.jpg
php3PwryyPM.jpg
phpO5rSYzPM.jpg
phpmML4P7PM.jpg
phpkxlXAgPM.jpg
phpOVKfluPM.jpg

Thread Starter #64

Wow...polos never let its drivers go on other cars [lol]
They always plot to get driven more and more [;)]
@GM... just noticed that ur car had a PB08 number plate but in the latest post its CH01.
How come?
Yes very true indeed. My Polo wasn't too happy to be left behind!![:D]

Well PB08 was a temporary number as i got my car from Jalandhar. Now got my permanent registration number from Chandigarh , thats why it says CH 01.

Dude these pics are amazing. The foggy ones are too good that I wish I was there. I had been to patni top, though not much of sight seeing, but I loved the open air and sky and small lodges there.

I hope you had a great time.
And yes, polo surely was annoyed at you to not take her with you.

Thread Starter #66

Dude these pics are amazing. The foggy ones are too good that I wish I was there. I had been to patni top, though not much of sight seeing, but I loved the open air and sky and small lodges there.

I hope you had a great time.
And yes, polo surely was annoyed at you to not take her with you.
Thanks Rightnow. Yes indeed we all had a great time there especially the amarnath yatra part which i'm going to write about in my next post.

I just love the place Patni top. The most amazing part about the whole journey was even after reaching a height of 15000feet during the journey to the holy cave, the weather was not as pleasant as it was there in Patni top both while going and coming back. Though a small place with just a handful of lodges but the natural beauty out there and the weather is just unbeatable.

And Polo being annoyed!![lol] Maybe...

heh.. Polo didn't like it being kept it in the garage!
And that's surely a wonderful trip. By seeing the pics, I wish if I too went on a trip like that! And your polo is very clean & tidy :tongue::biggrin:

Thread Starter #68

heh.. Polo didn't like it being kept it in the garage!
And that's surely a wonderful trip. By seeing the pics, I wish if I too went on a trip like that! And your polo is very clean & tidy :tongue::biggrin:
thanks jihu123. Yes indeed it was an amazing trip. Wonderful experience.Kashmir is truly heaven on earth.

And Yes I think so too. Polo was not happy to be left behind.[:)]

Polo is all clean and tidy now... gave her a nice hot steam bath after coming back and got the Monsoon camp check up done... got all oils topped up and interiors vaccumed and dry cleaned.
Now she is back at her shining best and making more onlookers fall for her gorgeous looks.

Thread Starter #69

After a little sight seeing in Srinagar, we headed towards Sonmarg and Baltal. Its around 71kms from Srinagar. The road is narrow but the scenery all around is jaw-dropping. Lush green fields,river flowing along the road and dense forest covered hills. There were nice wooden huts built by the local people there just adds on to the beauty. Every turn is like a canvas painting turned real. Truly breath taking. The same highway goes ahead to Kargil and Leh and i'm all excited to got to Leh now. Already decided for a road trip to Leh next year.

sonmarg.jpg
sonmarg2.jpg
son8.jpg
son7.jpg
Sonamarg-9910_16.JPG
php1L9YtcPM.jpg
php0AjJZIPM.jpg
phplKuFUKPM.jpg
phpHpayHoPM.jpg
phpMkgLfKPM.jpg

Finally we reached Baltal which is the base camp for the Amarnath Yatra. Stayed there in tents for overnight. The journey for the cave is about 14kms of steep incline with a very narrow passage. We had a helicopter booked for next morning. The helicopter covers a distance of 8kms and the remaining 6kms is done walking or on horses.

php0LMkCuPM.jpg
heli.jpg
php5QMOYgPM.jpg
phpad4SXiPM.jpg
hile2.jpg
phpdVecBjPM.jpg
phpE05ON6PM.jpg
phphQ1b0ZPM.jpg
phpKhwDkkPM.jpg

And then finally reached the cave after a scary horse ride on a narrow path of good 6kms with the cliiff 2000feet below. The path was snow covered at places and the horses would started slipping which made it all the more scary

The Amarnath Holy Cave
phpnmINo3PM.jpg
php923zYGPM.jpg
phpp3GY33PM.jpg

just one statement comes to my mind right now - "Incredible India!"
The pictures are wonderful. It made me feel great seeing those.
The photos are really tempting me to come there even if road trip isn't possible. [thinking]

Thread Starter #71

just one statement comes to my mind right now - "Incredible India!"
The pictures are wonderful. It made me feel great seeing those.
The photos are really tempting me to come there even if road trip isn't possible. [thinking]
Thanks jihu123. You should visit Kashmir once. its literally paradise on earth. breath taking scenery all around. i just loved the place.

More on the Polo now. Did get the Monsoon check up done from VW Chandigarh service centre. The guys are really helpful there. I wanted them to check the underbelly of the Polo for any troubles as i had scraped it way too many times on our 1600kms trip. They checked and everything seemed to be fine. Got all the oils topped up. Though hardly any oil levels were down. Wiper wash fluid was topped up. and the car was given back to me with a nice wash inside out. The interiors were polished and nicely done. Good work done by VW Chandigarh service centre people. Didnt have to pay a penny for all this thing.

Odo reads at 5200kms right now within 4 months of ownership. Planning to get wheel alignment and balancing done. Is it good to get the 4 tyres also rotated now?

Amazing pictures GM88. I am also planning for Kashmir trip soon, may not be in Polo though.

I think its good idea to get alignment and balancing checked, I would get it done soon.
Where are you planning to do it, at VW workshop or outside?

Thread Starter #73

Amazing pictures GM88. I am also planning for Kashmir trip soon, may not be in Polo though.

I think its good idea to get alignment and balancing checked, I would get it done soon.
Where are you planning to do it, at VW workshop or outside?
Thanks Rightnow. The kashmir trip was surely one of the most memorable ones i've ever had. Whenever you make a plan,I would advice you to go by a SUV or hire a cab/taxi. Sedans and hatchbacks will find it difficult there at times due to low ground clearance.

I am planning to get the alignment and balancing done from outside only from the same person i got my alloy wheels fitted. He is pretty genuine and his charges are also very nominal.
I am going to get all four tyres also rotated tomorrow.

Yeah sure, an SUV suits the place. Will bother you with some suggestions on places to visit.

Please share your experience after alignment and balancing.
BTW I too got the monsoon check-up done and one of your previous posts inspired me to get interior dry cleaning done as its been quite a while I pampered my car. Now seats are as good as new. I must say the seats' fabric quality is very good on polo.

Hello GM88,

Excellent Pics Buddy.

Your Pics tempting me to visit the place atleast once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom