Problems with My New Maruti Alto

Thread Starter #1
Hi all
With lot of expectations we bought a Maruti Alto basic model on August 3, 2011 at ABT Maruti. Initially i was pleased with its perfomance. But slowly it started giving some troubles. Following are the issues faced by me within 1 month.

1. From the day one, while shifting the gear from 2nd to 3rd there is some jerking. When i said about this issue to the dealer he said to release the clutch slowly. By doing so also it jerks sometimes.

2. Reverse gear shifting is always troublesome. I have to try atleast 2 or 3 times to shift the gear lever to reverse, which is very annoying in busy roads. Regarding this isssue, the dealer said to depress the clutch fully and shift. But no use. It still remains the same.

3. Another issue is very dangerous. While travelling at a speed of 50 kmph in 5th gear suddenly the gear lever came to neutral automatically. This happened once in 4th gear & now in 5th. Its very dangerous if it happens while overtaking at high speeds.

4. Final issue is that there is a screeching noise from the engine, while starting and it goes of if we depress the clutch. Again when we release the clutch the screeching noise is there even while moving. I dono whether this is a clutch issue.[frustration]

The last issue is there from a day before. Yesterday only first free service is done. They have changed the engine oil & oil filter and charged me Rs.1268/- I am really fed up with the above issues. My car has done 500 kms. I suspect that whether they have delivered a test drive car. I am really confused whether these kind of issues will be there in a new vehicle. Auto Gurus kindly suggest me regarding these issues.

Last edited:
Re: Problems with my New Alto

Regarding the difficuty in engaging reverse gear, Its present in most Altos as well as in many other cars. I too have an Alto and had the same issue when it was new. Even now its there but only at times. And take a look at the picture of my Uncle's new I20. I was surprised to see that there and its a common issue on Santros, I10s and I20s as well. If it feels hard to engage in reverse, You need to shift to first once and then try again for it to work at such instances.

For the first free service, The consumables are chargeable I guess, Most dealers give it for free at first service on their own and so you get it done free of cost. Maybe ABT is not giving out the consumables for free at the first free service.

The screeching noise is not good, so is the slip of the gear to nuetral on run. There sure is something wrong here. You have to report this to the dealer if it still persists after service. And if they hesitate to address the issue, You should call up the MUL representative for the area, Dealers usually keep the contact numbers of such people in an auspicious area at the dealership.

Attachments

Last edited:

You car must be one of those whose gearbox oil was filled from the bottom of the barrel with impurities. I had this issue too. After the 4th service, the oil was replaced and the problem was solved. However bear in mind that the Maruti gearbox is not smooth like other cars. As the dealer to change the gear oil and see if it improves. They will probably not do it under warranty, in which case you can pay for it. It's not expensive.

Can you post a copy of your bill. The cost should be less. However most dealers try to add optional extras like engine oil additive (BG), engine wax coating etc. and make the customer it is a part of the servicing and adding it to the bill. Be very careful when handing over the car. Make sure they only do what is written in the book. They tried this trick on me too but I caught them.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Hi Jalex & P3T3R
Thank you for both of your valuable replies.
@Jalex
Thank you for the information about reverse gear in a new car. As you said Maruti's gear box is rough when compared with Hyundai. My bro has a Santro which is 8 years old. Its gear shift is much smoother than Maruti. Any way will ask the dealer regarding the other issues.

@P3T3R
I thought of asking about the screeching noise from the dealer. I really wonder how can a new car just done 500 kms creates these issues that too a Maruti vehicle. Regarding the 1st service bill, following are the consumables:

1. Oil Filter Rs. 72.49
2. Injector knel (For reducing the carbon content in Spark plug) Rs. 196.51
3. Screen wash concentrate(50 ml) Rs.13.10
4. Engine oil (2.7 litres) Rs.825.34

Total rs.1268/-

Hi all
With lot of expectations we bought a Maruti Alto basic model on August 3, 2011 at ABT Maruti. Initially i was pleased with its perfomance. But slowly it started giving some troubles. Following are the issues faced by me within 1 month.

1. From the day one, while shifting the gear from 2nd to 3rd there is some jerking. When i said about this issue to the dealer he said to release the clutch slowly. By doing so also it jerks sometimes.

2. Reverse gear shifting is always troublesome. I have to try atleast 2 or 3 times to shift the gear lever to reverse, which is very annoying in busy roads. Regarding this isssue, the dealer said to depress the clutch fully and shift. But no use. It still remains the same.

3. Another issue is very dangerous. While travelling at a speed of 50 kmph in 5th gear suddenly the gear lever came to neutral automatically. This happened once in 4th gear & now in 5th. Its very dangerous if it happens while overtaking at high speeds.

4. Final issue is that there is a screeching noise from the engine, while starting and it goes of if we depress the clutch. Again when we release the clutch the screeching noise is there even while moving. I dono whether this is a clutch issue.[frustration]

The last issue is there from a day before. Yesterday only first free service is done. They have changed the engine oil & oil filter and charged me Rs.1268/- I am really fed up with the above issues. My car has done 500 kms. I suspect that whether they have delivered a test drive car. I am really confused whether these kind of issues will be there in a new vehicle. Auto Gurus kindly suggest me regarding these issues.
Point number 3 is indeed very dangerous and does not inspire you to over take any vehicle at any point in time. Go and talk to your dealer and ask them to test drive it thoroughly in your presence.

Secondly, as suggested by Peter get your gear oil changed as it is not going to cost more but give you peace of mind. Go and stand on there head to address your issue and bring in to the notice of local MUL personal also.

I do not see any reason why such issues should come in a new car. But yes, Maruti's gear box is hard and bad as my 3+ years old Estilo also stuck sometime while engaging first or reverse.

All the best[thumbsup]

Thread Starter #6
Hi Shalinder
Thank you for your reply. Regarding the gear automatically going to neutral, dealer said that to engage the gear properly.(i.e., to push the lever nicely & by doing so it wont go to neutral.) Let me try that and see.

lxi.

Suspended
while shifting from neutral to reverse gear, earlier my alto also needed some hardwork 2-3 times, went and enquired the dealer and he said that depress the clutch fully, then turn the gear lever fully to the right and then push it backward and you will hear a "ghuch" sound. your work is done. :)

I have faced the problem of gear slipping to neutral in my pulsar. Strange that it happens in a car.

On your next visit to the service center, ask those guys to fix this issue and never leave the matter or postpone if you are not seeing any improvement.

All these appear to be a problem with the clutch assembly. Get this fixed ASAP so that you can enhoy your new ride :)

@ Shrikanth

No. 1 & 2 are Altos inherent problems. So, do not panic about these. First problem will be solved partially if you change the spark plugs to Iridium. Second problem you will get most of the cars of Maruti.

Yes, No.3 is the real one. You have to contact the dealer.

lxi.

Suspended
Nope buddy, the 3rd problem is with every alto, i think. In my alto, it was also there but when talked to the Dealer, he said that the reverse gear has to be operated like i have given in post #7. The dealer said that it is according to our style of changing the gears!

Hi all

dear srikanth;

regarding to the reverse gear i got one solution,after bringing your car to halt wait for 5 seconds and press the clutch and engage the reverse gear so then it will engage quite smoother...some times for 1st gear also do the same during cold start.

dear srikanth;

regarding to the reverse gear i got one solution,after bringing your car to halt wait for 5 seconds and press the clutch and engage the reverse gear so then it will engage quite smoother...some times for 1st gear also do the same during cold start.
This is the only solution i see to the reverse gear. My car too has developed this particular problem over the past 3 months. I will have to wait a second or two so that I can shift smoothly to reverse.

I guess its a typical problem all Maruti Altos have. I bought Alto std in Feb this year and faced a similar prob where the reverse gear wont engage [confused].
When I reported the issue to the service center I was asked to just try harder [evil].

Its 10 months now and I still have the problem and I have no clue how to get it fixed.

How did it work out for you? Did you manage to get the issue fixed or you living with it like me?[confused]

Top Bottom