Petrol Smell Coming from Inside the Car

Sell Car

Thread Starter #16
Re: Petrol Smell inside the Car / Issues in Maruti 800

NEVER disconnect the breather pipe. It could prove extremely dangerous. Please get all the fuel lines checked. There is definitely a fuel leak somewhere which is the cause of the smell.
Ok, please tell what is the job of the breather pipe ?

Just checked again with my friend - TAI member Furtunerx.

Keep the AC switched on and the smell vanishes after 20-30 minutes.

Since your car is old, you can try some workshops other than MASS.

In the case of furtunerx, this problem started after 2 years of buying and MASS tried several things but was of no use.
Then he shown it in Tata Service Center managed by a friend of him. They did something (disconnecting breather pipe is not a solution) and fixed it. Issue was not there for 6-7 months and then started again after doing a routine service at MASS.
Sorry friend, My car doesn't have A/C, I tried with local mechanics too, but of no use.

i had a similar problem checked breather pipes all were okay finally culprit was corroded
tube from petrol inlet ie near fuel lid to the petrol tank

Ok, please tell what is the job of the breather pipe ?
A breather pipe ( also called vent pipe/crankcase breather) is designed to help prevent the buildup of gas inside the crankcase. It also helps to protect the rods and cylinders from corrosion caused by gas and other liquids. Crankcase pressure is vented out of the engine via a breather pipe. As the pistons inside the engine rotate, along with the crankshaft, air is allowed into your engine. Without properly releasing this air, the engine would make the oil turn frothy. If air enters into the oil supply (which can happen due to a choked/removed breather pipe) and turns it frothy, it loses its lubrication abilities, making it very dangerous for your engine. Without being properly lubricated, the engine could throw a rod which would lock it down completely. The air in the engine may also leak out of the engine as the pressure builds which can be very dangerous both to the engine itself as well as anyone who may be standing around the engine. Without a properly functioning breather vent or pipe, this air may leak around the pistons and piston rings causing a dramatic loss of power. The oil in the engine may begin to leak around the pistons as well and can cause damages to the engine as well as smoke, burned pistons and damaged plugs. Got it? Please don't remove your breather pipe under any circumstances.

NEVER disconnect the breather pipe. It could prove extremely dangerous. Please get all the fuel lines checked. There is definitely a fuel leak somewhere which is the cause of the smell.
I also think it that way. :agree: If possible, please park your car overnight over a smooth and cemented surface and then check whether any trace of oil is visible on the ground. Similar thing happened to me last year, when I was visiting Pelling (in Sikkim). The car had to negotiate hilly roads for hours at a time, in lower gears and one of the joints in the fuel lines started leaking. Car mechanics were rare in those places but fortunately the only one I could find detected the leakage early. He secured the leaking joint with a metal clip and since then it is working well.

Thread Starter #20

A breather pipe ( also called vent pipe/crankcase breather) is designed to help prevent the buildup of gas inside the crankcase. It also helps to protect the rods and cylinders from corrosion caused by gas and other liquids. Crankcase pressure is vented out of the engine via a breather pipe. As the pistons inside the engine rotate, along with the crankshaft, air is allowed into your engine. Without properly releasing this air, the engine would make the oil turn frothy. If air enters into the oil supply (which can happen due to a choked/removed breather pipe) and turns it frothy, it loses its lubrication abilities, making it very dangerous for your engine. Without being properly lubricated, the engine could throw a rod which would lock it down completely. The air in the engine may also leak out of the engine as the pressure builds which can be very dangerous both to the engine itself as well as anyone who may be standing around the engine. Without a properly functioning breather vent or pipe, this air may leak around the pistons and piston rings causing a dramatic loss of power. The oil in the engine may begin to leak around the pistons as well and can cause damages to the engine as well as smoke, burned pistons and damaged plugs. Got it? Please don't remove your breather pipe under any circumstances.
Thanks Sam for the info. So what is the next step to be taken..

I also think it that way. :agree: If possible, please park your car overnight over a smooth and cemented surface and then check whether any trace of oil is visible on the ground. Similar thing happened to me last year, when I was visiting Pelling (in Sikkim). The car had to negotiate hilly roads for hours at a time, in lower gears and one of the joints in the fuel lines started leaking. Car mechanics were rare in those places but fortunately the only one I could find detected the leakage early. He secured the leaking joint with a metal clip and since then it is working well.
I usually park it in my apartment parking which is flat and no traces of oil leakage..

Petrol would usually evaporate before dripping on the floor in case of a slow leak. As I suggested earlier, please check all fuel lines for any leakage.

Petrol would usually evaporate before dripping on the floor in case of a slow leak. As I suggested earlier, please check all fuel lines for any leakage.
yes thats true but just to add if ur maruti 800 is an mpfi type leak will be detected only if u start ur car as fuel pump works only on starting the car

Thread Starter #23

Thanks for your suggestions, I got all the fuel pipe lines changed, need to check it..

Hi Varun,
I had similar issues in my maruti a couple of months back. I took the car to M/s.Bharath auto (authorized maruti care) at Mangalore. Mechanics could not solve the problem and a senior engineer done some sort of pressure check in the fuel lines and identified the problem. There is a plastic container at left side inside rear corner cardboard pad. A couple of days back my ICE technician had transferred the speakers from the rear hatch door to over there ( I will post the snaps next time) and he drilled a hole to fix that speaker on that rear corner pad.( this place is inside the cabin and exactly outside the petrol filling hose is there) While drilling, this container was damaged and petrol smell used to fill the cabin whole driving on slow speed. He told me that one small pipe goes from this container from backside to the engine bay via sealing of the car (above windows) and he replace this also. Now there is no problem at all.

Thread Starter #25

Yes I have checked all these because even my speakers are fixed in the same place. But there is no damage.
These MASS people are not so confident what they are talking. For a small mistake they tell as if its a major issue.

Now the problem has reduced, only when the car is parked in hot sun smell appears and if we drive too much..

Thread Starter #26

Hi Friends, here is an update..

Today while driving I noticed the smell was more, [frustration] just stopped and started searching for the smell, found out its near the left rear behind the seat, came home..
Decided to remove all the hoses.. 1st remove the speaker and the pad..

Just inside it found a white fuel type tank.. some how managed to remove it..
Then started to inspect it by blowing on each side, found out a air leak and that was a HOLE !!! The hole was due to drilling the speaker pad...

So I was left with no options either to cover it or replace the tank..
Searched for the gum to seal it, but din't find any at home..[;)]

Finally got the pipe sealant (used for joining of plastic water pipes)..
Hence applied it, I guess I wound not have found any thing better than this..

Finally fixing the tank was very tedious job as the pipe was very small as out hands wont reach them.. so pulled with the help of the piler again applied the same solution and fixed it up..

So I guess this problem is solved.. will update again a couple of days ..

Here are some pic's -

The white tank (i guess its reserve tank)
25032012153.jpg

Tank damaged..
25032012156.jpg

Sealant, pasted to cover the hole..
25032012158.jpg

Tank fixed back..
25032012159.jpg

Hi Varun,
We sailed in same boats!. As I mentioned earlier similar white container was damaged. I really appreciate your DIY interest.

Thread Starter #28

Thanks, But still my problem hasn't solved fully, the smell appears when the car is parked in hot sun for 30 min, I think if I change the container the problem will be solved..

Re: Petrol Smell Coming Inside the Car

My Dad's Carb 800 also has same problem and I have replaced the container as well but there is no use it seems. So I suggest check this before buying the container.

Thread Starter #30
Lets give a try .. I will replace it and check for the smell..

So is there any other reason for the petrol smell..

Top Bottom