Petrol Engine or Diesel Engine: Your Choice?

Which is your pick?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #46
Re: Petrol or Diesel???

@raj I really don't know what's happening but your statment saying diesel are less noisy please please come to my sector and see all swift,punto,etc diesel hatch cars they make noise like trucks even 6years old wagnor doesn't make that kind of noise
A diesel will always be noisier when compared to a petrol.

What I meant when I said "diesels are not noisy anymore" is that modern diesel engines are not as noisy as the old engines from Mahindra jeeps and Ambassadors.

I guess the poll results also reflect financial parameters like initial cost of purchase, cost of fuel & maintenance, time frame for retaining the vehicle etc besides the performance / fun to drive factor.

It would be interesting to know how many dieselheads would still vote for diesel if there is an increase of Rs. 15 per litre in diesel price and no increase in petrol price. [:D]

I guess the poll results also reflect financial parameters like initial cost of purchase, cost of fuel & maintenance, time frame for retaining the vehicle etc besides the performance / fun to drive factor.

It would be interesting to know how many dieselheads would still vote for diesel if there is an increase of Rs. 15 per litre in diesel price and no increase in petrol price. [:D]
My dear friend it is not possible to increase the cost of diesel in india by such a margin but somehow if it happens, running will still be low in case of diesel engines due to their efficiency.

We'll still like them due to their nature of huge torque, low end power.

And in case of such a hike, we would some how be able to run our diesel vehicles but not petrol ones, just to keep ourselves have food, cause if it happens, prices of everything would rise by a huge margin, which are already high.

Even when petrol prices are really high, still people here have voted and like the petrol cars. So same would be the case with diesel. [:D] (atleast for me). Rest as you move ahead in life, priority changes. And no one knows, what you end buying tomorrow. [;)]

What I meant when I said "diesels are not noisy anymore" is that modern diesel engines are not as noisy as the old engines from Mahindra jeeps and Ambassadors.
Hmmm I think noise diesel hatch make could be reason of not caring of them or not maintaining them properly? Because I don't find difference in past and present

@Moderators: Please delete post no 43 (multiple post). Apologize for the inconvenience.

You should take a look at BMW 640d. Can smoke out even some of best petrol cars.
Now should I also cross the 1 crore limit?
BTW,a Volvo S-60 which comes for even lower than half the prize can rival this car and offers 4 doors too.Now if I compare with the cars liek this one in the same prize tag then?

Honda Accord is very good car. First hand experience, but now running costs are a pain. Ofcourse, if running is low, it very good but now age has starting showing on Accord. I was told by Honda guy that new Accord will come in 2013 that too with diesel mill. Waiting for that now.
Btw, personally I liked Accord more than Superb coz Accord is good not only to sit in rear (Sethjis as raj calls them ) but even nice to drive. Superb is pathetic compared to Accord as drivers car.
"Half knowledge is a dangerous thing".Superb handles corners better than accord.You need to drive one.Superb doesn't look like it has sporting intentions but still it handles better than Accord.I am talking about petrol variants,not the nose-heavy diesels.

And those who feel diesel aren't great as petrol, I suggest them to drive Merc E350 CDI. Its a gem of an engine & is better than its petrol sibling. Drive it once, & you will forget petrol.
My dear if you wanted to give a good example then let me do it for you,you must go and drive an Audi A4 3.0 TDI and you will forget this Merc of yours.See,I can favour diesel engines too.But still you very badly need to drive the 3.0 V6 TDI of Audi to understand what the 'real' performer engine is.

• Compare initial cost-Petrol is cheaper..
  • Compare fuel costs-Diesel is cheaper.
  • Compare power output-Petrol has it better,especially when it gets the sip of a turbo.Diesel has better torque,but has a weak top end.
  • Compare maintenance costs-Hehe,petrols are always cheaper to maintain.
  • Compare fun to drive factor-PETROL!![evil]
  • Compare efficiency-Diesel easily wins here.
  • And there are many other factors. Theory will ultimately come in-Eh,I am fed up reading theory.Please get some practical things.

Unfortunately, your alignment is only towards the fun factor. All I can say is, Grow up buddy..
Anyways, as its rightly said, to each his own..
Maybe I think only of fun-to-drive,but then I am ready to pay higher bills for good driving experience and a silent cabin.As you said,to each his own.

I have driven petrol car for Lac km I never faced this problem in allmost all northern part no idea about southern.
Right you are,even I am still to face anything like this.Maybe in South people don't buy petrol cars.

+1000 to what Raj said. I again think that the thread is moving to a big debate, where as the thread was about what you personally like and why. Not pointing at "you are wrong in thinking this". I like diesel and I have reasons for that. Better mileage is big big plus.

Let me tell you all an incident from my office parking area. I daily park my car on steep slope and the place available is minimal. So it is possible many times that we need to move other employees car to move our car out. SO here I have 2 cars in front of mine. Ford Ikon and Maruti Alto.

Started Ford Ikon, Shifted first gear. Tried doing half clutch to move car ahead. Walllaaaaahhh car went backwards and had hard time taking the car again. Same happened with Alto as well. Needed to rev really high to just make car move on the slope.

Then started my car, did half clutch and car climbed the steep slope easily. Now we can say that Diesel car isw much easier to drive in traffic no required to use accelerator, just clutch and brake. This proves the ease of driving and the reason for me not move again to petrol.

Please Note: No offense to any Ford Ikon or Alto user. This are just my experience and points for the going on debate. [:)]
Buddy this is not a question mark on the cars.This is a question mark on your driving skills.Many times it happens on the hilly roads(Not GHATS) that the loaded trucks start moving backwards and then whole torque goes to hell and driver ends up either die in the truck which fells in the gorge or jumping from it.Same happens to many SUVs too,once it starts moving backward and gains momentum then it stops only either by colliding or if any long stretch is available so that brakes may stop them.But note,I said hills and from hills,I mean 'HILLY ROADS'.

@Vipul : I understand what you really mean by saying Rev ranges . The bitter truth here is what you said. Diesel turbo is not even near to the normal petrol cars these days. However, there is a difference in diesel turbo technology .It also depends on high end turbo cars such as VW Gold TDI and Peugeot turbo diesels.
I knew that at least you will understand what I meant.People keep on shouting turbos turbos while truth is that they can't compete with even N/A petrol engines which are tuned for performance.

Turbos kick in at certain rev range and they also kick off after some rev range , so the initial pick up is a lot followed by a big lag unless your keeping the car in that rev range for quiet a long time.

Diesel is cheap in India so it makes sense for Indians to buy diesel cars, but in Australia Diesel is expensive then petrol (few cents) so people tend to buy petrol cars here.
Diesel cars are different to petrol, no one can compare them.
+1000.

can you compare a lion and a cheetah ? no right. they different animals, yeah they do same thing - HUNT! Same for cars they all do one thing - Transportation.
Right you are and example is also perfect.Petrol cars are like cheetah and diesel are like Lion.

Diesel cars are - efficient but high cost of maintenance
petrol cars are - not so efficient but cheap to maintain.
+1000.

@raj I really don't know what's happening but your statment saying diesel are less noisy please please come to my sector and see all swift,punto,etc diesel hatch cars they make noise like trucks even 6years old wagnor doesn't make that kind of noise

Main thing I like about diesel is torque specially on slop but hate it on bumper to bumper traffic stupid thing run like animal released from cage and I end up using brake lot but its best when traffic is moving slow you feel like you driving automatic car :P
This is the bitter truth and of course,very few peopel have courage to accept the bitter 'truth'.

Master

Modern diesel engines are really less noise than the earlier ones, yes we cannot straight away compare them with the petrol cars.

even in bumper to bumper traffic, it is easy to drive diesel car as you just have to release the clutch and use break where in petrol car you need to also use the accelerator

Debate is getting hotter and hotter. I think you all must see the poll results at top of the page, everything will become clear. It doesn't matter whether we like a diesel car or not, but somewhere inside us, we all know that it is the future of our country.

One more thing i just love diesel engines, be it due to its efficiency, torque, low end power or anything else they are just awesome.

Now a days diesels are superior than petrol in every respect, reasons have already been mentioned by raj_5004, dharmesh, S Class, nozzlering and Sam Dinkar.

One more thing, diesel cars are now better handlers than their petrol competitors examples are all fiat cars.

BTW, i don't want to enter into the debate but i know, i am in.
Can you please mention 'every' aspect in which diesels are superior?
You need to drive Linea T-Jet my dear.

Rev the diesel engine and then you will understand the difference between noise and treat-to ears.

+100,I am also interested in seeing the results.

Hmmm I think noise diesel hatch make could be reason of not caring of them or not maintaining them properly? Because I don't find difference in past and present
Its not because of not caring,its because they make the noise.Actually the diesel owners don't hear it because they are habituals of this clatter.

Vipul : That is the truth man what I've said . Turbo in a diesel car is a need , where as petrol cars run smoother NA.

I have seen many people talking about Turbo (Diesel) kicking in . There can be high torque on diesel engine but then its no where near NA petrol engine.

No offense to anyone here.

When it comes to driving petrol cars have much smoother engines compared to diesel engines.

Diesel engines are very noisy because of the type of engine design, but if your sitting in a petrol car you won't even notice if the engine is running or not.

Diesel saves you few bucks that is the only reason people liking it , if petrol was cheaper people would have supported petrol cars [:D] just being practical here.

Those people who wants to experience the turbo please feel free to come to Melbourne and I'll take you for a spin in my 330 horses Petrol turbo charged Skyline [;)] to give you a very clear demonstration of Turbo kicks

Those people who wants to experience the turbo please feel free to come to Melbourne and I'll take you for a spin in my 330 horses Petrol turbo charged Skyline [;)] to give you a very clear demonstration of Turbo kicks
I would like to go for ride mate.

Buddy this is not a question mark on the cars.This is a question mark on your driving skills.Many times it happens on the hilly roads(Not GHATS) that the loaded trucks start moving backwards and then whole torque goes to hell and driver ends up either die in the truck which fells in the gorge or jumping from it.Same happens to many SUVs too,once it starts moving backward and gains momentum then it stops only either by colliding or if any long stretch is available so that brakes may stop them.But note,I said hills and from hills,I mean 'HILLY ROADS'.

I never said that petrol cars are not better than diesel cars. But I am just addicted to diesel cars. I find my self comfortable driving the diesel car. Like there are people who only likes to drive Automatic cars. It's just the comfort they feel while driving. And as i have mentioned earlier as well.

And no one knows, what you end buying tomorrow.

Yes Vipul, you are right we really cannot hear any sound as we sit inside the car and play the music louder than the noise
As we say in Hindi "Majboori ka naam Mahatma Gandhi".If you sit in a Honda City and start it,then there are a lot of chances that you may even forget if the car is started,if you occupy yourself in some work or gossip.Until you see the RPM needle.
We people enjoy the serenity of the cabin and play music at very low volumes and when we press on gas then we shut down the music and enjoy the music of exhaust which is just a treat to ears and give even more excitement to press the gas even more.While if you cross even 3500 in 'ANY' diesel car then it feels just 'NOISY' nothing else,and hence you need to increase the volume of ICE.And yes,from 'ANY' I mean 'ANY'.

Vipul : That is the truth man what I've said . Turbo in a diesel car is a need , where as petrol cars run smoother NA.
100% right.

I have seen many people talking about Turbo (Diesel) kicking in . There can be high torque on diesel engine but then its no where near NA petrol engine.
The hell with the high torque,just let your petrol engine pass 1500 rpm and see the petrol car flying,either its hills or plains.I don't find any reason to buy a diesel car for driving in stop-go traffic.C'mon yaar,my right foot is okay and is itchy too[evil]

No offense to anyone here.

When it comes to driving petrol cars have much smoother engines compared to diesel engines.
And even more linear and widespread power delivery.They give far far bigger rev range to play with,unlike the rev range of diesels which is just 1500 or 2000 rpms(2000-3500 or 2000-40000 rpm rev range) to play with.

Diesel engines are very noisy because of the type of engine design, but if your sitting in a petrol car you won't even notice if the engine is running or not.
Right,petrol engines feel very silent as compared to diesels.Already Honda City example given above.

Diesel saves you few bucks that is the only reason people liking it , if petrol was cheaper people would have supported petrol cars just being practical here.
This is the bitter truth.One may except it or not,but I'd ask you guys to ask yourself and your heart once and you all will find it true.Hats off buddy,very well said.

Right you are,I can provide this in India itself if anyone wants to taste turbo petrol then I ave a 70000+ kms old turbo petrol engine which can still outrun a brand new Cruze.Yes the kick is not that much voilent,but that is because of smoothness and more linear power delivery!![clap]

Dharmesh - Please feel free to come and drop by. I'd love to take you for a spin. I've taken few of my mates for a ride , all they say after some nice acceleration is - WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT! I simply smile and say just 14 pounds of air (14psi boost) and 7000 RPMs in a sync.

Vipul : Of course man , petrol turbo charging is very efficient and performance numbers are astonishing. Cruze is a slow car here man. What I've seen people tend to over rate things in India , that is the mentality . Up here is other way around . Up here people drive mercedes or BMW they are considered as normal not rich .

Diesel cars are not very popular in australia , there are few Golf's with TDI engine and some Ford Mondeos too , but very few in number.

As I said before , If diesel was 80rs a litre people in India would have hated it and loved the petrol , Hard to digest but bitter truth [;)]

As I said before , If diesel was 80rs a litre people in India would have hated it and loved the petrol , Hard to digest but bitter truth [;)]
That's true and that is the reason of the sudden surge in sales of diesel cars. [:D]. Even if monthly running is low, people are blindly buying diesel car. I have heard people saying , my next car would be diesel car only as petrol prices are sky rocketing. And their use is just on weekend. [lol].

Frankly speaking it is only few of us in the millions of Indians who consider all aspects and do detail review of what we have to buy as per our need. But else it is all Herd's mentality.

Top Bottom