New Force Gurkha 4x4 Review & Pictures

Re: New Force Gurkha 4x4 Test Drive Review

Thanks for lots of insights about Gurkha dear kadumedu, I being a fan of these off roaders appreciate the idea of force motors which brought in a modern off-roader.
[clap]

However I'm unsure of the sales it has done so far, curious to know about its performance!
Even I was not sure about the Gurkha sales. But the monthly Sales figure of the company declaration, the Facebook gurkha pages where I see new gurkha buyers being added frequently and the new Gurkha(And force one too) I see in Chennai made up my Mind.

CRDE engine will be too much for the Gurkha Package
In this era to compete, we need to have one sir.
If you read this sentence in full context you will find I am with you :-). This is the odds of modernizing Gurkha for it to survive. Its survival is important to this segment. But the present Gurkha will not accomadate CRDE, otherwise a namesake like in Thar - no compatible safety and design platform.

While the Thar is the only one in competition with Gurkha, the brand perception matters a lot.
I restrain commenting on Thar. To simply put IMHO Thar is fancy vehicle, if you want a offroad vehicle you have MM550, if you want a Offroad and bare minimum onroad vehicle you have Gurkha, but where is Thar comes with its value proposition, except the Engine?

I somehow had a future plan for this vehicle when compared to Thar, but seems like it doesn't happen just because the car doesn't come in BS-4 avatar (Yes i live in Bangalore) and BS-3 is not allowed to be sold in my city, major factor for me if you ask.
Many are waiting including Me, but as I am following up this vehicle for long time and discussing with many owners I feel the current package is excellent. If CRDe is your need, ofcourse it will come very soon but it is a compromise, otherwise Force is very extraordinarily done its job well. Any way You can still register even if you are in Bangalore, the dealers have work arounds for this. In Chennai they doing in Meenambakam area for BS3 registration.

If Gurkha future is considered, yes CRDe is very much required with proper design up gradation with out loosing Gurkha characters. Thats a real big challenge.

Why Gurkha for me?
Love the majestic front and side profile, some decent equipment levels, and big seats at the back to enjoy rides when you take to hilly areas and some off-roading. [:)]
Same Pinch [clap] One more addition for Me, My business needs to travel always road less areas with minimum support Power system equipments on board.

Last edited:

but where is Thar comes with its value proposition, except the Engine?
I would look at it like this, since Einstein baba said everything is relative, we need a reference point here - the three 4x4s under Rs. 10 lakh are 1. Gypsy 2. Thar (DI and CRDe) 3. Gurkha (Not the Nepali watchman) with exshowroom prices of Rs. 6.xx lakh (soft top), Rs. 7.5 lakh (CRDe), and Rs. 8.5 lakh (hard top) respectively.

Now for roughly 1.5 lakh over and above the price of a Gypsy, the Thar CRDe offers a. 2.6 litre 105ps DIESEL engine, independent front suspension, power steering, and an air conditioner.

Now the thing to remember here is that the price difference between equivalent diesel and petrol versions of any car today is almost Rs one lakh. Adding this Rs. one lakh to the price of the bare bones Gypsy, we arrive at Rs. 7 lakhs. So, for an additional Rs. 50000, getting a FACTORY FITTED power steering, air conditioner, and independent front suspension in the Thar is not bad at all. No sir.

Though I agree with you on the value proposition part, for someone who has only these three options available for purchase, the Thar CRDe suddenly doesn't seem like a bad value proposition at all. In isolation, indeed a Thar at more than Rs. 8 lakh on road is daylight robbery by Mr. Goenka, but since E = mc2, all may be forgiven.

Blatant plug: Instead of moaning about lack of value in these 4x4s, I'd rather be grateful that in these hard times, at least we have the option of buying these vehicles for roughly the same price as a boring humdrum premium hatchback.

Last edited:

Blatant plug: Instead of moaning about lack of value in these 4x4s, I'd rather be grateful that in these hard times, at least we have the option of buying these vehicles for roughly the same price as a boring humdrum premium hatchback.
Yes True, Many a times when I scrap my head on these Comparison of SUVs, I wonder what happens if compare them against Hatchback - FYI I own a Hatchback too. [clap] Its all preference out of so many factors - one is Family.

Now that I am a Gurkha owner - I thought I should join this thread and contribute

I have been following this thread for some time and though my mind was more or less made up on buying the Gurkha once it became available 3-4 months back, but I must acknowledge that Iron Rock's superb review was amongst the many inputs that helped me take the final call.

Briefly about me - [glasses] I am ex-army guy who is passionate about the outdoors. I was looking for a really capable vehicle which could be my city use vehicle as well as my go-anywhere vehicle. Waited for about 2 years for the Gurkha to launch (again) and I must be amongst the first few to buy it after the re-launch. Not gone on any serious offroad trip yet (in the last 1month) but planning a drive on the OMR OTR track and a Valparai trip sometime in next few weeks.

Having driven capable vehicles in the army, I must say I am very happy with the Gurkha. Especially with it's overall drive quality.

Just sharing some initial experiences (in random order) and a few pictures.

- Engine is quite strong and can do gentle inclines(my office parking ramp) even on 2nd gear - in fact I am reminded of a joke that there are only 4 gears on a Gurkha. But I prefer to use the 1st gear - at least everytime it starts from rest/after a halt (at a signal/in traffic).

- The suspension is strong as well - may feel stiff but then it has to be - because it is designed to take a heavier beating. So when you drive over small speed breakers the shock absorbers wont absorb much while a car may have felt comfortable - but when you go over a very bad patch, you'll hardly feel it in a Gurkha where as the softer car suspensions might get seriously damaged.

- Highway driving - On a drive to Bangalore, I felt the cabin shudder at 90km/h - but I am a little old-school so I believe in running-in a new engine in the initial days - so didnt push the engine & stayed south of 90km/h. The owner's manual does talk about driving it at around 85 km/h (on 5th gear & they give speed ranges for other gears as well) but thay suggets that only for first 2000km - I am sure the engine may take much longer to run-in - but I am willing to wait for that to happen.

- AC - has been vastly improved [clap]- has a thermostat - and in fact at extreme cold setting (of the thermostat) - it does get very cold - hopefully it will be ideal for the sizzling Chennai summers.

- Gear shifting was a little difficult initially but it has gotten smoother with use over the last 2000 odd km that I have driven in the last one month.

- Brakes tend to 'feel' a tad slow but I think that impression could be because of the ABS.

- Some accessories I feel I absolutely needed - Audio sys+speakers+radio antenna, rear camera (cam input connected to the 2DIN audio screen; rear cam very much required as the vehicle is very high & you dont want to injure someone while backing up or bang any vehicle or anything else behind), new horn(ROOTS), new seat covers, central locking.

- Things to do/add- Jumper cable (my battery drained the day I fitted the central locking due to a bad-wiring job and then I had to get my vehicle push started [cry]), Rear foot step, Anti-rust coating - am looking for advice on this front - required/not required if yes - then which brand - WURST or 3M.

Lastly I must say I have made peace with the ugly looks at least for now - actually was all ready to change the grille & the bumper - even found out the rates for the old ones from the showroom (MPC Force Chennai) - it was 4k & 8/9k - then I realized the fiber bumper is quite strong & it even has quite a lot of metal backing - so based on that discovery, at least for now I am beginning to feel OK with the new looks. That said - you must check out this new review by a Malayalam channel Manorama news - because at around 11m the video features a new look variant of the Gurkha with WARN PTO with additional fog-lamps on the hood & a sleeker/shorter version of the new grill - which sits into the original slot of the face. Check out the video just to catch that new beast.

Waiting to hear from you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJQsHTLgacY

20150129_133416-Copy2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I am looking for advice from the seasoned 'colonels' of the 'Gurkha Regiment' on a few questions -

- First Q on Running In - Did you have the same intital experience as I am having - vehicle shuddering at 90/100kmph. If so how long did the engine take to 'run-in' before it got smoother.

- Second Q is what I posed in my previous post - what about anti-corrosion coating - required - yes/no - if yes - why & which brand(3M/WURTH).Given that I am in Chennai one of the most horribly humid cities - which corroded away a part of my dad's rarely used Maruti Omni - I am quite sure it is very much required at least for the underbody, but I am waiting to hear others' ideas.

- Third Q - How has your experience been with the Turbocharger(TC) - I mean idling before driving & after driving. Well I had seen drivers in the army idle the Ashok Leyland Stallion 4X4 Trucks especially in high-altitude areas for at least 4 min - to lubricate the TC well before driving. And I read a similar advice in the Gurkha's User Manual (2min of idling) - and I have been religiously following that advice though it tends to be a little inconvenient - you can't drive off immediately after you jump in & you can't stop the vehicle & jump off immediately after you reach your destination.But I am more than OK to put up with the inconvenience as I know that if the TC gets damaged, it could blow a very big hole in my pocket, but still curious to know others' experience on this 'idling for turbocharger' business.

Congrats for your new Gurkha dear Major JS, that is a nice post you have written about. will be nice to see more photos and if possible to draft an ownership thread which will enthral everybody in the forum!

First Q on Running In - Did you have the same intital experience as I am having - vehicle shuddering at 90/100kmph. If so how long did the engine take to 'run-in' before it got smoother...
Until the car gets it's engine oil changed for the first time, it will behave uneasily, these days there's no "running in" for CRDe's because of today's technology

Second Q is what I posed in my previous post - what about anti-corrosion coating - required - yes/no - if yes - why & which brand(3M/WURTH)...Given that I am in Chennai one of the most horribly humid cities - which corroded away a part of my dad's rarely used Maruti Omni - I am quite sure it is very much required at least for the underbody...but I am waiting to hear others' ideas...
It is definitely required in coastal areas like yours and we do suggest you get teflon coating as well. Just drive into the 3M car care and they take it thereafter, but don't spend for the unworthy things they market, just the underbody coating and teflon will do.

Third Q - How has your experience been with the Turbocharger(TC) - I mean idling before driving & after driving.
..but still curious to know others' experience on this 'idling for turbocharger' business...
AFAIK with the TC, it's okay to switch off and switch on any-time, but do keep the vehicle in idling when you finish long journeys along with higher rpm drives where you feel that you'd tamed the beast with big lashes.

you must check out this new review by a Malayalam channel Manorama news - because at around 11m the video features a new look variant of the Gurkha with WARN PTO with additional fog-lamps on the hood & a sleeker/shorter version of the new grill - which sits into the original slot of the face. Check out the video just to catch that new beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJQsHTLgacY

View attachment 161560
Dear Major, Congrats for the new Gurkha. [clap] Owners Pride Neighbors Envy [evil] Please share your experience with this beast with pictures.

The Modified Gurkha in the Video is done by Kerala dealer. If you check the facebook pages on Gurkha you would find this Mod Gurkha doing Mud blowing in Kerala forest.

Dear Friends,
I am Shimla based and I have booked a Matte Black Hard Top 4 x 4 Gurkha and will be getting its delivery on 9th or 10th of March 2015 from Chandigarh.

The main reasons for booking Gurkha are the bad roads in the interiors of the State and the factory fitted hard top.

My query from current owners of Gurkha for anything particular I should be paying attention to at the time of delivery?

Congrats MPS.Khatraw. Yes there are quite a lot you need to pay attention. I would suggest you to get in touch with Arup @ facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107318302682111/?fref=nf

He will guide you. Before that Enjoy a Diff Lock video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4Rd2IKvCM&t=73
Thanks Kadumedu for sharing the link and the video at a very critical time for me, as the Force agency has received a "Gurkha" recently and they have offered me this particular vehicle for delivery.

So I am planning to go for an inspection of the vehicle tomorrow on "Holi". I think I need to be paying specific attention to the vehicle details so that I can assure myself that this is not a demo vehicle.

Thanks Kadumedu for sharing the link and the video at a very critical time for me, as the Force agency has received a "Gurkha" recently and they have offered me this particular vehicle for delivery.

So I am planning to go for an inspection of the vehicle tomorrow on "Holi". I think I need to be paying specific attention to the vehicle details so that I can assure myself that this is not a demo vehicle.
I insist on contacting Arup. He is in Bengal only.

Now that I am a Gurkha owner
[surprise] Pinch me, Maj saab. And say that again, please. And then pinch me again.
I have been following this thread for some time and though my mind was more or less made up on buying the Gurkha once it became available 3-4 months back, but I must acknowledge that Iron Rock's superb review was amongst the many inputs that helped me take the final call.
Iron Rock would be equally surprised.
Briefly about me - I am ex-army guy who is passionate about the outdoors.
SS/IC commission? Which course/Coy/Sqn?
Having driven capable vehicles in the army, I must say I am very happy with the Gurkha. Especially with it's overall drive quality.
Guess you'd agree that ANYTHING would feel more comfortable after having a go in the Army vehicles. I have driven the ALS/Dhai ton/MM550s and Gypsy; found nothing great about any of them apart from the fact that the Gypsy's petrol engine is quite reliable at high altitudes. Must say the Gurkha's suspension beats 'em all.
- Engine is quite strong and can do gentle inclines(my office parking ramp) even on 2nd gear - in fact I am reminded of a joke that there are only 4 gears on a Gurkha. But I prefer to use the 1st gear - at least everytime it starts from rest/after a halt (at a signal/in traffic).
1st is not needed, really. For all kind of starts, second is usually good enough, provided you can slot it :biggrin:
- The suspension is strong as well - may feel stiff but then it has to be - because it is designed to take a heavier beating. So when you drive over small speed breakers the shock absorbers wont absorb much while a car may have felt comfortable - but when you go over a very bad patch, you'll hardly feel it in a Gurkha where as the softer car suspensions might get seriously damaged.
Affirmative. Suspension is excellent on bad patches. Ride quality ain't too bad on tarmac either. Correct me if I am wrong but the Gurkha now comes with Apollo Apterra HT tyres instead of the AT HAWKZ that Master Iron Rock had the luxury of testing it with.
- Highway driving - On a drive to Bangalore, I felt the cabin shudder at 90km/h - but I am a little old-school so I believe in running-in a new engine in the initial days - so didnt push the engine & stayed south of 90km/h. The owner's manual does talk about driving it at around 85 km/h (on 5th gear & they give speed ranges for other gears as well) but thay suggets that only for first 2000km - I am sure the engine may take much longer to run-in - but I am willing to wait for that to happen.
The TD 2650 FTI is a Grandpa School engine and I am 200% sure that it needs running in; though I am not sure if cabin shudder would get reduced once the engine has run in. But you are right, do run it in properly; 300000 km warranty be damned.
- AC - has been vastly improved - has a thermostat - and in fact at extreme cold setting (of the thermostat) - it does get very cold - hopefully it will be ideal for the sizzling Chennai summers.
This year onwards we will have a 'Automotive Technology Pioneer of the Year' Award and we shall award it to Force Motors for this.

Please check the ac pipe on the top left inner edge of the engine bay near the engine firewall. Is it still bent at ninety degrees?
- Gear shifting was a little difficult initially but it has gotten smoother with use over the last 2000 odd km that I have driven in the last one month.
There is God in this world, after all.
- Brakes tend to 'feel' a tad slow but I think that impression could be because of the ABS.
ABS? Anabolic Sterodis? Abdominals? Albino Black Sheep? (Albino Blacksheep)
- Some accessories I feel I absolutely needed - Audio sys+speakers+radio antenna, rear camera (cam input connected to the 2DIN audio screen; rear cam very much required as the vehicle is very high & you dont want to injure someone while backing up or bang any vehicle or anything else behind), new horn(ROOTS), new seat covers, central locking.
Be VERY VERY careful about the wiring as your's would probably be the first Gurkha in India that'd get all these things fitted on it and therefore the bumpkin who shall install these thingummies on your Gurkha would be doing it for the very first (last?) time. Monkey with a spanner (in the works?). Also, have you asked the dealer what happens to the warranty once you get these jobs done? Maj saab I wouldn't risk losing my warranty on a Gurkha.
- Things to do/add- Jumper cable (my battery drained the day I fitted the central locking due to a bad-wiring job and then I had to get my vehicle push started [cry]), Rear foot step, Anti-rust coating - am looking for advice on this front - required/not required if yes - then which brand - WURST or 3M.
Why is the rear foor step needed since there are no seats at the rear?

Anti rust coating is a must since the sheet metal of Force vehicles is known to rust so badly after just one rainy season that it disintegrates if a two year old kid as much as farts exactly 2mm away from it. They say that the newer (nice oxymoron, no?) vehicles get a special anti rust blah treatment but I'd rather play it safe - go for 3M eyes closed and get it done from an authorised 3M outlet.
Lastly I must say I have made peace with the ugly looks at least for now - actually was all ready to change the grille & the bumper - even found out the rates for the old ones from the showroom (MPC Force Chennai) - it was 4k & 8/9k - then I realized the fiber bumper is quite strong & it even has quite a lot of metal backing - so based on that discovery, at least for now I am beginning to feel OK with the new looks. That said - you must check out this new review by a Malayalam channel Manorama news - because at around 11m the video features a new look variant of the Gurkha with WARN PTO with additional fog-lamps on the hood & a sleeker/shorter version of the new grill - which sits into the original slot of the face. Check out the video just to catch that new beast.
4k and 8/9k? Why two different rates? Or am I missing something here? Are the chrome bumpers of the old Gurkha still available or are these rates for the panels of a Trax?
I am looking for advice from the seasoned 'colonels' of the 'Gurkha Regiment' on a few questions -
Jai Mahakali! Ayo Gurkhali!
- First Q on Running In - Did you have the same intital experience as I am having - vehicle shuddering at 90/100kmph. If so how long did the engine take to 'run-in' before it got smoother.
I do not own a Gurkha but given the genes of this engine I'd run it in properly for 3000 kms and expect it to get smoother only around the 8000-10000km mark. That said, the engine is a toughie and should be up for a Leh trip when your kid grows up and decides to drive down the Gurkha up there.
- Second Q is what I posed in my previous post - what about anti-corrosion coating - required - yes/no - if yes - why & which brand(3M/WURTH).Given that I am in Chennai one of the most horribly humid cities - which corroded away a part of my dad's rarely used Maruti Omni - I am quite sure it is very much required at least for the underbody, but I am waiting to hear others' ideas.
3M. 3M. 3M. Salt is a bigger adversary than China/Pak.
- Third Q - How has your experience been with the Turbocharger(TC) - I mean idling before driving & after driving. Well I had seen drivers in the army idle the Ashok Leyland Stallion 4X4 Trucks especially in high-altitude areas for at least 4 min - to lubricate the TC well before driving. And I read a similar advice in the Gurkha's User Manual (2min of idling) - and I have been religiously following that advice though it tends to be a little inconvenient - you can't drive off immediately after you jump in & you can't stop the vehicle & jump off immediately after you reach your destination.But I am more than OK to put up with the inconvenience as I know that if the TC gets damaged, it could blow a very big hole in my pocket, but still curious to know others' experience on this 'idling for turbocharger' business.
Though I have no scientific data to prove this, I'd still say idling is a must before driving off and switching off the engine.
1. When we blink our eyelids, we do not feel any irritation in the eyes because there is a thin film of some xyz fluid between out eyelids and the eyeball. Same applies to an engine - if there is a thin film of oil between the moving parts of the engine, it'll reduce wear and tear of those components. The engine oil rests in a sump below the engine crankcase. When you start the engine, an oil pump starts circulating this oil to various parts of the engine through the oil lines. So, turbocharger or not, it is a good idea to idle a cold engine before starting off.
2. A turbocharger rotates at more than 100000 rpm. For such a fast rotating device, lubrication is of utmost importance. After starting run the engine in low idle speed for at least 30 seconds. Do not press accelerator pedal while starting the engine to avoid damage to turbocharger. Before switching off the engine, run the engine idle for at least 30 seconds and then switch off. This will allow the engine oil to lubricate the turbocharger, till its speed is fully reduced and also allow the unit to cool down.
3. Alternatively, you could drive very gently for the first km and the last km of your journey so that the engine rpm doesn't cross into the turbo zone. This should keep the turbocharger out of harm's way.
My query from current owners of Gurkha for anything particular I should be paying attention to at the time of delivery?
I could write a book on this but quicky:
1. Remember that all Gurkhas are DRIVEN from the Pithampur plant (in Madhya Pradesh) to their respective dealerships. Check the Odo - what does it show?
2. Take a magnifying lens with you and check for rust, paint chips, and scratches - especially since you are taking the matt black colour.
3. Ask the dealer to put the vehicle on a ramp and check the underbody thoroughly - look for rust, loose screws, hanging wires/cables, oil leakage (engine, prop shaft, gearbox, differential, etc.).
4. Drive it and see if the wheels are aligned properly.
5. Lock/unlock the differentials many times and see if they are functioning properly alongwith the instrument panel light (there are two different lights on the instrument panel for the front and rear diff lock)
6. Check the transfer case if it is engaing/disengaging properly alongwith the instrument panel light.
7. Check for play in the steering - some amount of play is acceptable but it shouldnt feel very vague.
8. Turn the steering from lock to lock and see it there are any whining noises at full lock on either side.
9. Check for cooling efficay of the air conditioner. Ha Ha!
10. There WILL be rattles/squeaks - DO NOT accept a vehicle with rattles/squeaks; the dealer will tell you "saar be bil feex thes on phirst serbees". Bollocks. Tell him you want these fixed RIGHT NOW else you are not taking delivery.
11. Yank/pull all the hoses/pipes that you see inside the engine bay. If anyone of them feels loose, get it tightened then and there.
12. While checking the hoses, remember that no hose should be touching any metal part of the engine - if it does, ask the dealer to fix it.
13. Check all plastic parts inside the Gurkha - window winders, locking knobs, glovebox lid, OBD cover etc. for their presence (yes, presence) and smooth functioning.
14. The tyres would be overinflated. Ask the dealer to fill them up to OEM specifications.
15. Jack, handle, toolbox - are they present.
16. Roof mounted stop lamp - is it securely screwed in?
17. Fibre bumpers and wheel arches - look for cracks/ill fittings.
18. Wipers and windshield washer - do they function?
19. Rear windows - do they slide properly and lock securely?
20. Check if all fluids are topped up.
21. Check all rubber beadings and ensure they are not cracked and fitted properly.

Apart from the above, do download the TAI PDI check list and scrutinize the Gurkha as per the points mentioned therein - you will get lots of insights.

All the best (Hope you won't need it,but I know you will!).

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:
Thread Starter #118

Sorry been late to the party here Major, have you got the vehicle delivered ?
Has the Gurkha began owning you [:D]

Hi Everyone, excellent report by Iron Rock. Since my name was mentioned here I thought I should chip in. For those who know me, I am the oldest Gurkha owner around having received the first Gurkha delivered in India. The year was 1999 and my Gurkha is still around with me after traveling all over India. Tribute to its basic no frills design and superb Mercedes OM616 turbo.

I have also bought the new Gurkha and sadly the original engine has been replaced by a DI but they have modified it to keep the NVH down. The new one however has lost its original ground clearance due to use of low profile tires. The original Gurkha came with 7.50x16 JK LT2000 bias ply tires that gave the Gurkha a working ground clearance of 235mm which is higher than its German rich cousin aka G Wagen.
Those who own the Gurkha can come close to the original GC by putting 235-85x16 tires or as I have done, 265-70x16 Yokohama Geolandar AT-S. The new engine has more torque than my older one so unless you do lots of load pulling, the pick up if you can call it that hasn't been impacted that much.

As for first time owners, all the advice given in this thread holds, make sure to go over all the nuts and bolts with fine tooth comb. My dashboard nuts came off in a day of ownership but its still better than what happened on my old Gurkha where the front rotor nuts were left loose and the disc came off during a drive in hills of Kasauli.
Underbody coating is must and so are the floors and insides of doors. Pay special attention to wheel wells.

Few very important lube aspects of Gurkha unique to this vehicle. The Pittman arm needs regular greasing and more frequent if exposed to water, same with eight grease points on front suspension or expect premature wear and tear. Diff locks need to be engaged regularly and if you do lots of off roading with them engaged, switch to 85W-140 GL5 oil for both the diffs to prevent wear and tear. For transfer case use 80W-90GL4. Many first time owners and test drivers have complained of notchy shifting. This is due to idiots at Force putting regular gear oil in the tranny. This is an absolute murder as the soft brass syncrhos wear out fast. Change to ATF Dexron III asap or Castrol TQ. My old Gurkha shifts way better than my Scorpio due to the early care. For engine oil I use Mobil Delvac MX that quietens the engine down considerably. One of the most over looked maintenance aspects on Gurkha is that the engine needs valve clearance check at every 16000km. For most Indian mechanics this gives them fever. Make sure to go through this process and insist on it.

Best of luck to everyone and enjoy your Gurkha.

Top Bottom