New Force Gurkha 4x4 Review & Pictures

Re: New Force Gurkha 4x4 Test Drive Review

Its an out and out offroading vehicle which has been inherited from MB - don't expect any safety related thought going behind its design, its a pretty old design as well, its built like a patton tank underneath(i mean the tubular chassis) but that doesn't make it safe in the event of a crash. At best it has seat belts because that is mandatory [:)]

Remember this is usually a second vehicle for most with the intent of purchase being largely offroading - if you are look for safety equipment unfortunately none in this segment or at this price point have it.
hm. No worries.. though expected a bit on Safety side. If I buy, I would use this car mainly for business tours many times would Carry Solar panels, Electronics along with. It is safe to maintain below 100KMPH. How good the breaks are?

Thread Starter #77

hm. No worries.. though expected a bit on Safety side. If I buy, I would use this car mainly for business tours many times would Carry Solar panels, Electronics along with. It is safe to maintain below 100KMPH. How good the breaks are?
We havent tested this is real world outdoor conditions yet, so wont comment definitively on brakes, but based on what we saw it was pretty average/decent.

By the way if you are looking at luggage hauling option - this would be an impractical option with 2 doors, you are better off looking at the xenon rather. While 5 passengers can sit in comfort, the options of loading baggage in gurkha is very limited.

Its an out and out offroading vehicle which has been inherited from MB - don't expect any safety related thought going behind its design, its a pretty old design as well, its built like a patton tank underneath(i mean the tubular chassis) but that doesn't make it safe in the event of a crash. At best it has seat belts because that is mandatory [:)]

Remember this is usually a second vehicle for most with the intent of purchase being largely offroading - if you are look for safety equipment unfortunately none in this segment or at this price point have it.
We havent tested this is real world outdoor conditions yet, so wont comment definitively on brakes, but based on what we saw it was pretty average/decent.

By the way if you are looking at luggage hauling option - this would be an impractical option with 2 doors, you are better off looking at the xenon rather. While 5 passengers can sit in comfort, the options of loading baggage in gurkha is very limited.
First I saw Thar, then Gurkha and in between I consider Xenon too. But three reasons I opted out of Xenon.

1) Price
2) TATA ASS, City riding and Quality.
3) Back seat's are not that comfortable.

Thar nowhere fits my needs except.. ok dont want to hurt others feelings.[;)]

Gurkha I consider for the following reasons

1) With foldable back seat after mod, I can carry up to 1 or 2 KWs of panels, Inverters, LED lights, electronics mostly as a demo or small system installations. Beyond this capacity I always trust VRL and Professional courier.

2) The car should go anywhere to serve my new found interest for offroading and carry my family with basic comfort if I prefer not Swift.

3) Good driving comfortability - Gurkha is more than GV in bad roads, as I read Samurai in *******.

4) Not sure many will accept, I feel Force is giving best VFM.

5) And ofcourse the USB of Gurkha, Differentials, Snorkel, Formiddable Axle, Merc Engine that would serve my Grand children too.

6) I am not well off yet to own 3 cars - for Family (Now a Swift), for Business Transport (say a Xenon), for my Off road interest (say a old wine from Mahindra). Gurkha I assume based on what I read may easily cover all these 3 in 1 backage.

So right now a Gurkha. Have to do Test drive when It comes out.

and Is it possible to get a positive result for Gurkha, If I compare my 2009 Swift VXi with Gurkha on Interoirs, Seating and Driving comfortablity? if so, I will be [:D]

Thread Starter #79

Absolutely look no further and do not waste any more time in comparisons!
Go and simply book the Gurkha!

You deserve it! The lot in the knowing, say its the Gurkha who chooses the owner - and you are perfectly placed mentally to own the Gurkha! I would usually recommend Gurkha to only selective people and i am sure you deserve it! Go for it Man![:D] You pass the Gurkha aptitude test! [:)]

You deserve it! The lot in the knowing, say its the Gurkha who chooses the owner - and you are perfectly placed mentally to own the Gurkha! I would usually recommend Gurkha to only selective people and i am sure you deserve it! Go for it Man![:D] You pass the Gurkha aptitude test! [:)]
[:D]. Will share my experience after a test drive.

350Z

Core Team

Feast for off-road junkies awaits at Gurkha Rainforest Challenge, Goa. (Due credit to our friend Bunny for sharing this shot).

Gurkha-Off-Road-Challenge.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

[:)]
Feast for off-road junkies awaits at Gurkha Rainforest Challenge, Goa. (Due credit to our friend Bunny for sharing this shot).

View attachment 143081

Drive Safe,
350Z
Wow... I am not a fan of Gurkha. But the insecurity of the competitor product - Mahindra Thar I felt thru its official Forum where comments and aggressive complaints leveled against Gurkha, especialy when RFC india was approaching it's commencment, made me a fan of Gurkha. [clap]

When injustice happens you take sides right [:)] - Like a support to Sadam hussain, though he himself has his share of crimes, Gurkha has its own downsides and failures. But I took side, as I saw a biased Injustice happens on this Machine, though these are causing a good thing to wake up Force motors from it's sombre mode.

They said, it is over weight. They said it is not possible for infinite modification, like in the case of Thar. They said, It is not creature comfort, Fit and finish is dismal as if the Thar is the otherway. They said Engine is not powerful, forgettting the Thar has a non stoppable engine(those who read Break failue of Thar knows this special feature) But RFC has inched a big hole on part of the claims against Extreme off roadability and Infinite possibility of Modification in Gurkha.

Yes, still the expectations from Force or from any other auto manufacturer, say Mahindra, to give Gurkha or Thar a finished product is a dream. The 'Concerned' waiting to see a healthy compitition, which leads to product refinement in this segment. Where the 'Insecures' are urging to level charges to satiate their affiliation. That's sad when it happens under the name of 'Unbiased' Reviews.

Mods If you feel this comment is inapprobriate and deserves deletion, please remove. But I have no other place but here, the other Auto Forum, to share my thoughts about this.

Thread Starter #83

PRESS RELEASE

Force Gurkha claims the First and Second position at the “The Rainforest Challenge India 2014”

Force Gurkha winning team.JPG

Force Gurkha 1st Runners Up.JPG

Teams secure top positions at the first edition of the RFC India 2014 in Goa

Goa, August 14, 2014: Pune-based Force Motors’ Team Gurkha bagged the first two positions at the grueling Rain Forest Challenge India 2014. This is the first edition of the internationally acclaimed Rain Forest Challenge (RFC) in India.

Force Motors had entered three vehicles in this extreme off-roading event. Gurkha no. 120 driven by Tan Eng Joo and navigator Tan Choon Hong claimed overall victory with 1877 points after six days of gruelling action in the natural terrain around Goa. Gurkha no. 107 with Mervyn Wei Shiong at the helm and navigator Abdul Hamizan Hamid were edged out for the win by a solitary point and had to rest content with 1876 points for second overall. Both the winning Gurkhas were neck to neck throughout the six day event which had a total of 23 cars coming under starter’s orders.

The third Gurkha (carrying competition no. 121) led by Sanjiv Singh and navigator Jay Shridhar was among the trio which cleaned up the maximum stages but could only go on to bag 8th position overall.

The trio of Force Gurkhas for the RFC was specially modified to meet the demands of top notch off roading given that the Rain Forest Challenge is ranked among the world’s ten toughest motoring events. Powered by the Mercedes-Benz licensed power train of 2.2 FMTech Common Rail Direct Injection engine and the proven G-32/5 gearbox, front rigid axle, long travel heavy duty shock absorbers, hydraulic steering adapted from the Balwan agricultural tractors these vehicles could do off roading like none other. In fact, every major driveline aggregate was from within the Force Motors portfolio and the success of the cars in the event (against 22 from other rival makes) is testimony to the fine engineering and proven reliability of the Force Motors R&D team.

Managing Director Mr. Prasan Firodia said, “I am extremely delighted with the results. This was a first of its kind event for Force Motors, we wanted to prove the off-roading capabilities of the Force Gurkha; we have not only achieved that but have also secured the top 2 positions. While a large part of this success goes to our drivers, it would not have been possible without the hard work and relentless efforts of all our team members. We are proud of the results achieved.”

The winning Gurkha no. 120’s driver Tan said, “This is the perfect result for me and my navigator Tan. I would like to thank the technical team for their support and backing throughout the extremely grueling and tough special stages”.

Second placed Gurkha no. 107’s lead driver Mervyn stated, “I am pleased with the result. I believe as a team we tried very hard and the results reflect that.”

The Rain Forest Challenge was first launched in Malaysia in 1997 and is amongst the top ten toughest motor races in the world. It is a global brand with presence in seven countries including Italy, Russia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Tunisia, China and Australia. The first edition of Force Gurkha RFC India took place in the forests of southern Goa from August 8 to 14, 2014.

The event subjected the competitors to incessant rain, steep slippery slopes, deep ruts, gullies, flooded rivers, and landslides, all with interesting and unpredictable twists. The 4 levels of special stages were of increasing difficulty; Prologue, Predator, Terminator and Twilight. The participants had to tackle 30 Special Stages across a multitude of obstacles, to be declared as overall winners.

ABOUT FORCE MOTORS
Force Motors was established in 1958 by Shri N. K. Firodia, is a fully vertically integrated automobile company, with expertise in design, development and manufacture of the full spectrum of automotive components, aggregates and vehicles.

Force Motors (formerly known as Bajaj Tempo) started production of HANSEAT 3-wheelers in collaboration with Vidal & Sohn Tempo Werke Germany. The company played a pioneering role in the light commercial transport industry in India with iconic brands like the Tempo, the Matador and the Traveller.
Its range includes Trump small commercial vehicles, Trax multi-utility and cross country vehicles, Traveller light commercial vehicles and the Balwan range of Agricultural Tractors. Force Motors has recently entered into the personal vehicles arena with the launch of a genre leading sports utility vehicle, the FORCE ONE in August 2011. The Extreme Off-Roader Vehicle; Gurkha is the second vehicle to be launched under the Personal Vehicles Division.

[clap]Satire has a new champion.
[:D]. Will share my experience after a test drive.
Did you take the test drive? Did they offer the test drive? Did they have a vehicle with them to offer the test drive? Did they know that Force Motors makes something called the Gurkha (seriously, God promise[roll])?
Force Gurkha claims the First and Second position at the “The Rainforest Challenge India 2014”
Do they have a showroom in some rainforest because I visited their showroom yesterday and the Gurkha is still not there at the showroom.

Test Drive is available at Chennai Ambatur and elsewhere in India. Infact they have conducted Offroad event at Chennai last month End. They are planning for another also next Month. This week I will do a test drive. They are ready to bring the Gurkha to our place for test drive. Let us see Force keep up with their Promise or Not.

Dear Sam Dinkar I know your frustration on the way Force is handling this Vehicle. Hope this time they do it rightly.

Went to Chennai Ambatur Force Show room. Met Mr. Chandra Sekar. Saw black and Red Gurkhas. Red is for test drive and has done 25K in odo. Did a small test drive in City and Freeway. The verdict is mixed. Will share in next posts.

Man thats some teaser post. Please include snaps - hope you did click some.

Thread Starter #89

They didnt change the front fibre and those look like road tires!

Btw the interiors look better than what i had experienced, do you have more interior pictures ?

They didnt change the front fibre and those look like road tires!
AT Tires. No change to front face. The car is imposing on road. It expects respect and gets from on going traffic even from heavy trucks.

Btw the interiors look better than what i had experienced, do you have more interior pictures ?
I have few snaps. Will share. Plastic quality still remains poor I didnt bothered about it. What I mainly focused is On road maners, and the vehicles ability as a family car, as I am already very much convinced about its off roadability and longevity.

My driving experience is one and only with My Siwft. So read my review with a pinch of salt. I suggest someone experienced to have a test drive of this vehicle on road to give proper review.

1) TachoMeter remains at the center except it was down facing in the previous version now uplifted a bit and visible. It is located between AC vents.

2) Instead of ACC switches in the previous version, proper control console is given (replacing Techo meter between Center AC vents).

3) Steering wheel is reduced to that of like in cars. Still the plastic quality is poor.

4) Horn is too feable.

5) Noise is filtered well inside the cabin. Vibration is still there due to off road suspension setup. Gear lever vibration also is there but not to worry. No rattles otherwise.

6) This is my first time Diesel engine drive. I didn't feel any difference. Indeed the transmission ratio is too good that I felt very comfortable and zip thru under heavy Chennai traffic. I was able to place the wheels precisely both at low and high speeds. At high speeds the streeing felt like too sensitive (like it responds even for small shake), I dont know whether it is good or bad or whether it is to me it felt like that, no comments.

7) I never drive speed above 100. Hence I tested Gurkha up to 90KM speed in Ambatur Highway. I couldn't push beyond that as the road is full of heavy trucks. The car easily pulls. Infact I didn't realize I am driving at this speed in between heavy trucks.

8) The ride is little pumpy. I didn't feel any body roll. The same conveyed by my friend in the back seat.

9) Back seat thigh support is not enough. With sea of space it need filling seating arrangements to have the feel of a car.

10) Break is ok. The vehicle I test drove is 25K odo. The break drifted the vehicle to the left. Looks like problem with this Test vehicle.

11) AC is good. with Scorching Afternoon Sun (2:30PM) We felt comfortable with AC fan Speed 2. Third row may not feel the cool though.

12) Gear throw is long as everyone know. But it is not heavy. It is easy.

More next..

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom