Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray VXi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #106
Delivery for my WagonR Vxi AGS is scheduled day after tomorrow [29th-March-2017].

As per our TAI PDI list i have done the PDI and everything looks perfect.

I have opted for below accessories for my wagonR

1) Rear sensor
2) Leather seat covers
3) stearing cover - complimentary
4) Mud Flaps - complimentary
5) Door visors
6) TomTom - Mobile charger
7) Embossed number plates with IND
8) Floor mats
9) Philip xtream 90/100
10) 3M full package for under body & over body coating. [Total 5 different coats]

Do let me now if anything specific to check before taking the delivery.

Thanks,
Satyajeet
Dear Satyaeet,
sorry for the late reply. Was a little busy.
Hope the delivery of the Car went smoothly and PDI done.
Do post some pics.

Dear Satyaeet,
sorry for the late reply. Was a little busy.
Hope the delivery of the Car went smoothly and PDI done.
Do post some pics.
No worries, and yes the PDI was done and delivery of the car was very smooth.

In last 5 days i have also crossed around 1000 KM's. Soon i will start my Buying / Ownership thread which will include all the pic's.

In meantime can anyone route me to the thread for AMT usage ? I am pretty new to AMT driving so bit worried on the usage.

Thanks,
Satyajeet

kkn13

Suspended

In last 5 days i have also crossed around 1000 KM's. Soon i will start my Buying / Ownership thread which will include all the pic's.

In meantime can anyone route me to the thread for AMT usage ? I am pretty new to AMT driving so bit worried on the usage.

Thanks,
Satyajeet
I had my friend's Wagon R AMT for a while when my car had some trouble
I learned a few tricks to upshift early, just let go of accelerator a little to upshift.

When you want fast overtakes, dont slam accelerator, itll just rev more and it has an annoying habit of shifting into 1st from even 3rd at certain speeds, so keep that in mind otherwise, while overtaking a BEST bus, the car will shift into 1st and rev alot but barely move and youll get alot of harsh stares from the bus passengers[lol]

Beware of incline and declines,I suggest using manual mode and handbrake if you are ever stuck. AMT doesnt behave like regular automatics neither manuals.
Only trial and error will ensure you get the jist of it
Another annoyance is when reversing , itll move forward at times when you leave the accelerator, so learn the accelerator point to prevent this. Took me 2 weeks but by the end of it, it was fine as such but only for sedate driving though at city speeds, it is a real boon to cut lanes etc in traffic, the engine is fairly torquey if not powerful at low speeds, there is slight lag but youll catch on soon

Steering and dimensions are a bit confusing even though my old car was a Ritz (now sold), especially while parking in tight spaces but steering radius is much better than my Ritz and it can fit in nearly everywhere

Overall I liked the car for the time I had it and my friend uses it as his daily car now
He bought for his mom to learn driving but it never happened :D
They have other larger cars but they love the Wagon R for daily use now

Last edited:
Thread Starter #109

Thanks,
Satyajeet
So she is due for her first service.
I personally have not driven a AMT equipped car but as KKN13 said, you will get used to it after spending some time with the car.

So she is due for her first service.
I personally have not driven a AMT equipped car but as KKN13 said, you will get used to it after spending some time with the car.
Yes sir she is due for her first service [Inspection, that's what MASS refers to]

Thanks KKN13 for the tips.

Yes the trick for letting the accelerator go off really works and that's what i have been doing from my manual experience.

Even i think eventually i will get hold of the AMT thing but i was bit worried that i wont spoil the AMT system entirely by not knowing the usage.

Thx,
Satyajeet

kkn13

Suspended
Yes sir she is due for her first service [Inspection, that's what MASS refers to]

Thanks KKN13 for the tips.

Yes the trick for letting the accelerator go off really works and that's what i have been doing from my manual experience.

Even i think eventually i will get hold of the AMT thing but i was bit worried that i wont spoil the AMT system entirely by not knowing the usage.

Thx,
Satyajeet
No worries, I think AMT is fairly a "made for India" transmission , I dont think damaging the system will be that easy

Usage is fairly foolproof for beginners , only expert drivers who have owned manuals earlier will face slight discomfort and annoyances initially till they learn[:)]

Thread Starter #112
What is the colour of your Car? I have seen a dark blue one at the MASS here, which is a demo vehicle and the car looks nice in that colour.

Does it comes with ABS?

What is the colour of your Car? I have seen a dark blue one at the MASS here, which is a demo vehicle and the car looks nice in that colour.

Does it comes with ABS?
Mine is Grey [Glistening Grey] Vxi [AGS].
The one in blue is Vxi+(O) which comes with ABS.

Also anything specific to be aware of for first servicing?

Thanks,
Satyajeet

Last edited:
Thread Starter #114
Mine is Grey [Glistening Grey] Vxi [AGS].
The one in blue is Vxi+(O) which comes with ABS.

Also anything specific to be aware of for first servicing?

Thanks,
Satyajeet
Nothing much...They will check the fluid levels, do the usual washing and thats all.
But I have an opinion. Don't know how much it matters to new engines of cars a they run at relatively low speeds(2-3k rpms during regular average running) compared to that of motorcycle engines(5-6k rpms). Operating parts of Engines(piston, cylinder, gears,etc.) after running few thousand kms will "set" down, also known as "run in or break-in of an engine".
It maybe mentioned in the user manual recommending gentle use for the first few thousand kms wherein #quote "Break-in or breaking in, also known as run-in or running in, is the procedure of conditioning a new piece of equipment by giving it an initial period of running, usually under light load, but sometimes under heavy load or normal load. It is generally a process of moving parts wearing against each other to produce the last small bit of size and shape adjustment that will settle them into a stable relationship for the rest of their working life." end quote#, source wikipedia.
What I meant to say is that the metallic/non-metallic residue resulting from the friction between moving parts gets carried with the lube oil/engine oil thus reducing the efficiency of the same.
Maruti recommends lube oil change at 10k kms which I think is a bit exaggerated. I changed mine at 5k kms just to keep myself satisfied. The manual recommends G/B oil(transmission oil) change at 1,40k odd kms which again, I personally feel is too long a period for the constantly grinding gears.

I do not wish to confuse you will my ranting but as mentioned before, it is solely my opinion to change the lube oils prior to the recommended kms.

Guys -- I am planning to install the BT hands free receiver which will solve the purpose of music and calls can anyone suggest any specific model and its reviews ? This is just to get rid of all wiring of aux and save some battery life of my phone.

Also somewhere in this forum i read about car inverter which is used to charge laptops and other E devices can someone comment on this ?Is this good to buy also how much space it will required and is it really helpful ?

Thanks,
Satyajeet

Thread Starter #116
No worries, and yes the PDI was done anu d delivery of the car was very smooth.

Thanks,
Satyajeet
I'll give you firsthand knowledge and tip to use AMT, details of which you could read on my Nano XTA nimble mountain goat review.

I do have a Wagon R MT, so the characteristics differ.

Always remember AMT will behave as you programed your driving style/habit for it, never stamp on the accelerator to take off, for doing that put it in 'M' mode. Otherwise in 'A' mode it will hop and jump like a mad bull.

The rubber band effect is pronounced, as WR is a heavier car and more cc so don't panic, enjoy it. To Upshift eeze the accelerator and press again.

You will have to learn the trick how to exit mall inclines, use the M mode here, I have mastered it in A mode.

Do put up your review, for us to get more information/knowledge.

Regards

Vinod

Edit: make it a habit to always put on N mode at signals, long stops, and use handbrake.

Last edited:
No worries, I think AMT is fairly a "made for India" transmission , I dont think damaging the system will be that easy

Usage is fairly foolproof for beginners , only expert drivers who have owned manuals earlier will face slight discomfort and annoyances initially till they learn[:)]
Reading the comment its specifically "Made for India" transmission it made me a bit comfortable, however in the 3 digit forum i came across a dedicated thread started by members who has faced issues with AMT (This is specifically for MS users).

Admins / Mod's
please suggest if we start a new thread for the maruti's AMT issues so that people will discuss their issues and be on the same page on how to handle the situation in better way.

Thx,
Satyajeet

Re: Some DIYs - Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray VXi

What better way to start a Morning than by doing some DIYs on your beloved Car...

Got some LEDs from ebay dot in/com to replace OEMs
Links:
1. Parking lights: Projector Lens Light T10 LED Parking Number Plate Bulb for Car Bikes 1 Pair | eBay

2. Registration plate lights: 2 PCSX 28 SMD LED 5050 T10 Socket for All Bike Car Parking Pilot Bulb Light Lamp | eBay

3. Fog lights: Super Bright 7 5W H8 Car Vehicle White Day Driving Fog LED Light Bulb Lamp ES9P | eBay

Yesterday after Office hours Wifey and me went to the local accessories shop to get new seat covers. The guy displayed all the options he had for Wagon R.
Found two of them to be of good design. First one was a black red combo(no red stitching which I would have liked even more) and the second was a black one with grey stitching. The second(brand Microline) one even had some padded area for back support and would have been great for long Drives.
However I opted for the black-red one as it was looking better and was from Topgear.
The boys got down to do their job while I asked the shop owner to fit the LEDs.
He first took out one Registration plate light and fitted the 28smd led but the light cover was not fitting as the light length was more. So he fitted another set that was with him(9smd led).

Seat Covers fitted:
View attachment 135069
View attachment 135070

As it was getting late, he asked me to come the next day(i.e., Today) to fit the other lights.
Today Morning got up and made up my mind to do some DIY and fit the lights myself.
Some pics:
Pic 3: OEM bulb and LED bulb
View attachment 135071
Pic 4: Pull the black rubber cover at the back of the headlight.
View attachment 135072
Pic 5: At the top is the connector for the high beam bulb and at the bottom is the parking bulb connector.
Pull it out and again pull out the bulb and fit the new LEDs
View attachment 135073
Pic 6: LED fitted and lit up
View attachment 135074

Now changing the fog lights:
Pic 7: Remove 4nos plastic clips by using a flatbed screw driver(2nos at the bottom of the bumper)
View attachment 135077

Pic 8: From the manual.
Pull out the clips and make some gap between the bumper and the black cover.
Pull out the connector as shown in the manual page. Rotate and pull out the bulb. Fit the new bulb and put everything back to place.
View attachment 135078

Pic 9: Parking and Fogs on.
View attachment 135075

Pic 10: LEDs that went into Registration plate lamps(pic from google).
View attachment 135076

Pic 11: Removed the interior dome light cover in the way shown in the manual.
View attachment 135079

Pic 12: A similar light with less nos of LEDs(15nos) went into the interior dome light.
View attachment 135080

I managed to get hold of only one dome light for the front. Yet to source another for the back.

Night pics coming soon.

Thank You friends
DRIVE SAFE
Hii new to this thread. Being an owner of Maruti Suzuki Stingray VXI 2015 I am very much enthusiastic regarding threads or reviews regarding stingray. Although it is a car which has very less selling as compare to other Maruti cars. But I have not faced any trouble in these 2 years till now.
Everything is ok in stingray except the fog lamp unit. I have a plan to change these oem units completely or else changing the bulbs. But when I showed it to local parts store he removed the oem fog lamp bulb and checked it with his super power eyes and told me that this bulb has no specification and it is a 28 watt bulb. He told me that this type of bulbs are not available in the market. So I dropped my plan.
After reading your thread regarding led fitments I am again thinking to do it again.
So can you please give me any suggestion regarding changing of bulbs with led unit. It will be a great help from you if you can upload the image of your stock fog lamp bulb.

Thank you and have a great day..

Top Bottom