Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Engine Oil Leakage

yeah during my first service,before they can start with anything i told service guy that i want to see the underbody,engine,they obeyed it,and showed me immediately by elevating my car. Again at 3M,have'nt found any signs of leaks.

Well, crankcase and oil sump are indeed two different parts and on the face of it this does seem to be the case of a faulty oil sump gasket. I agree with Keith and Iron Rock that aluminium machined parts do have such markings and they are certainly not caused by something hitting the underbelly of the vehicle - the 'scratches' are running from RHS side to LHS side (or vice-versa) which can't be the case if they were indeed to be scratches because the vehicle can only move forward and backwards and not sideways.

Can someone drift an Ertiga?:stupid:

Guys, the engine from the top, its the valve door cover,then the head, then the cylinder block(the half-engine)then the crankcase(oilsump,oilpan) in between the sump and the cylinder block comes the oil strainer.

The one that is marked crankcase in the pic is actually the cylinder block or the half-engine.
I do agree than in merc and other premium engines there is a 'case' which comes between the small oil pan and the cylinder block which is as bigger as the cylinder block and this 'case' is called the crankcase on such engines.
But as we are discussing the fiat engine in the ertiga. the crankcase.oilsump and the oil pan all are the same.

Guys as we search on the web we may get two answers because in merc and all, there is a 'case' in between the smaller sump and the cylinder block which is called the 'crankcase', and in other engines which we are used to have only one thing below the cylinder block and that is the 'crankcase' or 'oil sump' or the 'oil pan'.

@Sam Dinkar

I really did not expected you to jump on such conclusions, i would suggest you to visit a near by workshop and conclude it and post it, for the forum sake... leaving the internet aside.

And on the scratches if you can go through the post again i was indicating that if there are any scratches under the body then there are chances to reject the claim and was asking the owner to have a look at the under body before claiming the leak.

Attachments

Last edited:
I really did not expected you to jump on such conclusions, i would suggest you to visit a near by workshop and conclude it and post it, for the forum sake... leaving the internet aside.

And on the scratches if you can go through the post again i was indicating that if there are any scratches under the body then there are chances to reject the claim and was asking the owner to have a look at the under body before claiming the leak.
Dear Alex, I am not jumping to any conclusion, merely stating what I know from my experience and reading. Though I do not claim to be an expert, I must say that I don't feel the need of copy pasting stuff from the internet for such an obvious, simple query.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post but I still don't think your following words could be construed any differently from what I had understood:

Bro, I see scratches on the aluminium body near the crank case,
if you claim for the leakage i do not think they will take the responsibility with that scratches, they will claim that the leak is due to the under body hit which produced that scratches.

Looking at the engine from the top we see the cylinder head is the tappet cover/cylinder head cover.Modern engines have a plastic cover over this part.

The cylinder head is the one which contains the valves and rockers and it sits on top of the half engine.

The half engine from Maruti does include the crankcase,crankshaft,pistons and conrods.
The pistons move in the cylinder bore.This forms the lower half of the combustion chamber.The top part being the cylinder head which houses the spark plugs and the exhaust and inlet valves.
The lower part of the block is known as the crankcase since it houses the crankshaft.I think you are mistaking the oil pump that sits in front of the crank case as the oil sump.The oil pump sits right behind the crankshaft timing gear.

The only things you do not get with the half engine block is the the cylinder head(including the valves and rockers and tappets),water pump, oil pump, timing gears and the oil sump.

Please go to an MGP store and ask about it.

Alex, we are not attacking you in anyway.I just think you are confused about what is what.

Last edited:
Looking at the engine from the top we see the cylinder head is the tappet cover/cylinder head cover.Modern engines have a plastic cover over this part.

The cylinder head is the one which contains the valves and rockers and it sits on top of the half engine.

The half engine from Maruti does include the crankcase,crankshaft,pistons and conrods.
The pistons move in the cylinder bore.This forms the lower half of the combustion chamber.The top part being the cylinder head which houses the spark plugs and the exhaust and inlet valves.
The lower part of the block is known as the crankcase since it houses the crankshaft.I think you are mistaking the oil pump that sits in front of the crank case as the oil sump.The oil pump sits right behind the crankshaft timing gear.

The only things you do not get with the half engine block is the the cylinder head(including the valves and rockers and tappets),water pump, oil pump, timing gears and the oil sump.

Please go to an MGP store and ask about it.

Alex, we are not attacking you in anyway.I just think you are confused about what is what.
I never missed the head, and i never mentioned the oil pump in the post,
And nobody is attacking me bro!!!
From the above one you had copy/pasted says that,crankcase comes at the lower end of the cylinder block/half engine, which houses the crank shaft.( that is the oil sump or the oil pan,in a fiat or a maruti engine.)
That is the crankcase.
Nothing other than oil strainer comes below between the oil sump/oil pan and the cylinder block.
The oil sump/oil pan/crankcase all are same in the fiat/maruti engines,
I need not need to visit a MGP store to clarify this, and the guys at such stores are just salesmen who take orders/delivers by part number by looking at the manual provided by maruti.

Guys, the engine from the top, its the valve door cover,then the head, then the cylinder block(the half-engine)then the crankcase(oilsump,oilpan) in between the sump and the cylinder block comes the oil strainer.

The one that is marked crankcase in the pic is actually the cylinder block or the half-engine.
I do agree that in merc and other premium engines there is a 'case' which comes between the small oil pan and the cylinder block which is as bigger as the cylinder block and this 'case' is called the crankcase on such engines.
But as we are discussing the fiat engine in the ertiga. the crankcase.oilsump and the oil pan all are the same.

Guys as we search on the web we may get two answers because in merc and all, there is a 'case' in between the smaller sump and the cylinder block which is called the 'crankcase', and in other engines which we are used to have only one thing below the cylinder block and that is the 'crankcase' or 'oil sump' or the 'oil pan'
@sam,
Bro i was asking the owner to check the under body for further scratches.
And the conclusion you jumped was on the crankcase, which is confused on net as the merc and premium engines have a case other than oil sump which is called a crankcase on such engines,
and at the engines discussed the crankcase and the oil sump are the same.

@All.

Guys as we search on the web we may get two answers because in merc and all,
there is a 'case' in between the smaller sump and the cylinder block which is called the 'crankcase',
and in other engines which we are used to, have only one thing below the cylinder block and that is the 'crankcase' or 'oil sump' or the 'oil pan

Last edited:
For your information, you are wrong. Here is a picture from the Ertiga Diesel.The crank case is the lower part of the block where as the oil sump is the place where the oil is stored.Please have a look.

The block has two sections.One is made of Iron and the other of Aluminium.Here you can see the top portion of the block is separate from the bottom portion.

The oil sump is at the bottom.

Attachments

Last edited:
Is that engine from overseas market or got developed in India ?
is that a common problem ? (many cars such as Mitsubishi Magna's have it)
that oil on the sump looks like a worn out gasket .

I've seen someone wrote that its from the crank seal . Thats very strange for a new car.

You can also check the head of the engine if there is any leak on there or on the side. Sometimes rocker cover gaskets play up too.

Hey Alex, engine has following layout

Head
Crank case/bottom end
Oil Sump ( depends on the type of engine)

The layout can differ for different engines.

I attached a photo of my Skyline's engine

Attachments

The DDIS engine is a Suzuki version of Fiat's MJD engine.

The problem was identified even after the gasket between the crankcase and the oil sump was changed.The engine was separated from the gearbox and the seal was found to be faulty.

For your information, you are wrong. Here is a picture from the Ertiga Diesel.The crank case is the lower part of the block where as the oil sump is the place where the oil is stored.Please have a look.

The block has two sections.One is made of Iron and the other of Aluminium.Here you can see the top portion of the block is separate from the bottom portion.

The oil sump is at the bottom.
That is the 'case' i mentioned on premium engines which comes in between the block and the sump.
I agree if the pic you posted is of ertiga diesel engine.
The pic we were discussing before do not have that 'case'.
The maruti/fiat/HM/Mahindra/Tata engines which i did saw dismantled do not have such a 'case' between oil sump and the block.
I had seen that on merc and imported toyota engines.

In some links i found the engine block itself is mentioned as the crankcase.

The pic is taken on 18/8/2012 which is soon after ertiga launch,is it yours?
If not how did you manage that pic?
Is it from this forum itself which i missed?

Last edited:
It is the Ertiga diesel and the pic that I have posted.The pic where you pointed the scratches is the same Diesel Ertiga.

The engine block where the crank case is integrated to block,the lower part is called the crank case and the upper part is the cylinder bore.Every car has a crank case.

The oil sump is totally different.

Last edited:
It is the Ertiga diesel and the pic that I have posted.The pic where you pointed the scratches is the same Diesel Ertiga.

The engine block where the crank case is integrated to block,the lower part is called the crank case and the upper part is the cylinder bore.Every car has a crank case.
I agree all do, bro,
But the pic varun posted do not have a separate crank case other than oil sump.
In this case the oil sump itself is the crank case.
The one you posted have a separate one as in premium engines.

In some links i found the engine block itself is mentioned as the crankcase.

Last edited:
Like I said, the cars where the engine block does not have a separate crankcase the lower part of the block is known as the crankcase.

The oil sump is never known as the crank case in any car, premium or not.The sump is always a separate part.It even has a separate part number.

Top Bottom