Mahindra XUV500 Gets 4 Star Crash Test Rating

I have just put the stats forward (from a country where stats are indeed accurate), rest you can draw your own inferences, Corolla, XUV or Veyron whatever the car the greatest safety device is the driver himself [:)].

Accidents dynamics are very situational and unpredicatable - there are people who have survived after being hit by a speeding train and at the same time people who have died falling off a bicycle.

Personally i am on neither side as far as a SUV vs car safety debate goes.

Last edited:
^^Again a neutral opinion..[frustration]
Haha,again you cut my hands.
Amit bhai,you play some game with me,first boil me and then keep me in refrigerator..

Coming back to topic:-
In UVs we have higher leg well and more space in front,hence there are less chances of knees getting crashed into dash.
So maybe the leg injury occurs due to either the intrusion of pedals or other under-bonnet components in the cabin...

well you have this deep rooted nefarious inclination in proving a sedan is better than SUV(on any point for that matter), which amuses me no end to be honest. Always brings a smile.

And here you are also debating on safety just a few days after continuing to drive a car whose brakes you knew were dysfunctional. So when i said the driver is the greatest safety device, hidden inside was a message for a good 19 year old friend.

Now you might call me "Irony Rock" [;)]

Eh,you own an XUV and a Civic...I don't.
But still I can write 500 pages to show how Civic is far far better and safer than the XUV..this is called being biased,which I proudly accept I am.[:D]

About failed brakes,I am sure if I'd have been driving an SUV like..hmm[thinking]..say,a Fortuner then I surely would have ended up wither killing or seriously hurting the occupants of auto rickshaw due to poor dynamics and momentum the(every) SUV carries.

Rest,its the irony for me that you love SUVs and the rocking fact is that,they don't worth this much love in my views!!!

Thread Starter #20
Guys, we have a whole sedan v/s SUV thread in this forum, so we can continue that discussion over there.

@ TSIVIPUL :

Dear Vipul, please see that your Civic and Corolla has also got 4 star rating in crash tests. so they are no better than the XUV or any SUV.

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=247

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=228

Both the cars had marginal leg injury to the driver.

Please note that I have considered the variant with 2 Airbags and not the one with 6 airbags as Indian corollas and Civics have 2 airbags. I had to consider the Corolla hatch as all Corolla sedans they have tested had 6 airbags with ESP and the likes.

Even the Skoda Laura with 6 airbags scored a 4 star rating -

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=242

and had marginal leg injury to the driver...

Last edited:
^^Haha,buddy I have already gone through all of those before you..(Eh,I never enter battlefield bare handed)[:D]

The euro ANCAP has 4 star rating for Corolla hatch only and same is for 2007 Skoda Octavia(the car which we call Laura here).
But there is a lot of difference between marginal and serious leg injuries buddy.I hope you get my point.
Marginal leg injury means maybe you will drive again after a month or two but in case of serious injury..maybe your eyes will open in hospital and you will find no-legs!!

Main point is:Sedans are less likely to crash as compared to the SUVs.Just think buddy,there is very less difference between turning quickly and turning turtle quickly in case of SUVs[lol].But in sedans you have a chance to escape the accident in even the last micro-seconds.And this makes them safer than SUVs in my views.
As we say in Hindi "Jab takkar maregi hi,toh suraksha toh chahiye hi(when its goign to collide in any case,then safety is a need)"[:)]

Let's talk in the concerned thread..I am awakening it,waiting for you guys(Raja and Rock) to come up there..

EDIT:The thread is closed:-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...35-sedans-v-s-suvs-your-personal-pick-28.html
Now let's either request mods to open it for us,else let's move on either here or with a new thread...what say guys?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Having a 4 star rating does not mean in any way that you will be completely safe and sound after a disastrous crash. People have died in an S class too...

It just means, your car is safe enough to take care of you in some sane crashes. You go head on to a car/truck/wall at breakneck speeds and no car will save you. In case of XUV, its leg injury. In other cars, it will be chest injury and so on...

Point here is, XUV5OO can no more be considered as an "unsafe" car. Regarding your sedan v/s SUV thread, as you said, lets keep it to the other thread.

^^Right you are,any car is unsafe at insane speeds.
Again,no doubt the XUV is a quite safe car like others...

About sedans vs SUVs thread..its already closed,now let me think the outlines of a new thread for proving sedans better..:stupid:

^^Was you expecting a rating below 4 stars?
Being true I was expecting 4 stars only,really never expected 5 stars for XUV.

BTW,there may be a difference between the rating of the W6 and W8 because one has got 2 while other has 6 airbags.
Raj,where are you?One more query....

Thread Starter #27
BTW,there may be a difference between the rating of the W6 and W8 because one has got 2 while other has 6 airbags.
Raj,where are you?One more query....
Yes of course. I feel the W6 may score lower. Even though the basic chassis remains the same, I feel the lack of side airbags may push the scores down. The results clearly say that they have taken the side airbags into account.

Here you can see two examples (randomly chosen) - one car without side airbags and the other with side airbags, clearly the one with side airbags scored better -

Hyundai i20 -

Hyundai safety | i20 crash test - ANCAP
Hyundai safety | i20 crash test - ANCAP

Toyota Corolla -

Toyota safety | Corolla crash test - ANCAP
Toyota safety | Corolla crash test - ANCAP

At the same time, it is not necessary that only side airbags can increase the overall rating, see here -

With all 6 airbags, the Swift has a 4 star rating whereas the Punto has a 5 star rating -

Suzuki safety | Swift crash test - ANCAP

Fiat safety | Punto crash test - ANCAP

Its when Suzuki launched the new Swift (which has knee airbags also), that their rating increased to 5. I am not saying the extra airbag pushed the score up. The car must have been designed better compared to the 2007 model.

Australians like ancap rating
if thats low they all it crap
hopefully i will see XUV500 on road
4 out of 5, should encourage lot's of Aussies to own this machine the only drawback could be missing auto box, as Australian's favour auto box over manual.

^^Guys,so here we have the thread to fulfill our appetite..
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/8006-how-sedans-better-than-suv-muvs.html

Let's come up and discuss our views here...
This thread is also closed. [frustration]
Whatever might be the thing, one thing is for sure, when it comes to safety, sedans are better than UVs and it has that cocoon effect to its passengers which even UVs like Pajero can't provide. And raj, I liked when you mentioned some cars in your wish list too !!

Anyways, raj2004, will the same XUV will be sold in India or it will be only in Oz with Indians getting cheaper stuff ? [confused]

Top Bottom