Inspecting a Used Car – An Exhaustive Guide

Re: Inspecting a Second Hand Car – An Exhaustive Guide.

8) evidence of corrosion as told by 350 Z.

Few cars can be rejected after the TD.
1) odo disconnected
2) temperature gauze not working

3) AC not cooling even if it is adjusted for lowest temperature.
Even if AC is not your requirement, you should reject such car becoz it has relationship with engine's cooling mechanism.
4) Temperature gauze working but showing rise in temp. above 65 % reading.
4) car pulling towards one side after momentarily taking the the hands off it.
5) mild pain/discomfort in left leg after a TD of 3 to 4 km in city,due to hard clutch.
6) DIS /odo panel shows engine malfunction/battery not charging lights.or other similar danger signals.

Re: Looking to Buy a USED Car? (Must Read)

Guys it is too risky to buy used cars from a dealer unless we personally know the dealer.
The digital odometers can be corrected to a desired kilometer.(even on Merc and Audi),
i had personally seen the equipment, Chinese made one simply can be connected to that of socket behind the odometer and just on selecting options with the small key board on the equipment,the odo can be changed.
The options are from Alto to the high end premium cars,done in 5 minutes and re-fitted in 10 minutes.
I bet there will be no clue on tampering as it is engaged using a same socket as it comes in the car.

Last edited:
Re: Looking to Buy a USED Car? (Must Read)

This tampering is easily possible in non-dealer used cars too.
It is important to have a compulsory look at the servicing bills which have both km reading at the date mentioned and look at the battery and tyre manufacturing dates , details are available on respect ive threads , links provided by 350z.eg. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

Last edited:

Thankyou for this wonderful thread vibhor. superbly narrated every single part which needs tobe inspected with right set of pictures to understand it better.
Showed this thread to a friend who was looking to buy a used car, and this seemed perfectly useful tool for him to make a decision.
[clap]

Good thread, could have seen before buying my car. Found out unknown "sweat making" ways to check a car. Nice info.

Hi All,

I am new on this website, please point me to the right direction, if I am on a wrong thread. I own a maruti Esteem 2001 Petrol. I always wanted to go for an SUV, finally I decided to buy a used Safari as I am in no condition to buy a new one.

The deal I have is Tata Safari 2002 Model price 1.3. Odo reading:- 1.35 lakh. this SUV is in good condition (exterior). Please suggest what should I check before buying and the price is genuine or not?

A response would be highly appreciated.

P.S: - I can post the pics too, if you would like to have a look

Re: Indian Cars Price Hike News & Updates

off topic:offtopic:
My friend has called up a Honda dealer(Dakshin Honda) in Bangalore to know about service history of used City. But they refused to give service history details, can someone please let me know how do we get the service records from service centers ?
My friend plans to a buy a used Honda City.

Last edited:

Hello All,
i am planning to Buy used hatchback Honda Brio; why only Brio below reasons
1)Don't like Maruti cars (lame designs, herd mentality, seen enough)
2) Hyundai - Sky rocketing maintenance costs, no VFM cars
3) not interested in Nissan, Renault etc.,
Pros - Brio
1)Good Looking - you would definitely want to look back after parking your car
2)Engine - Honda brand speaks volume
3)Reliable - Honda is enough
4)Safety - strong body no issues
5)Ride & Handing - good enough
6)space - not so roomy, but intelligently used every corners in the cabin
Cons
1) FUEL EFFICIENCY - Not sure how much 15KMPL will be OK for me
2) Maintenance charges - Not sure how much, i think it is 7K, please correct me on this
3)Finance - does interest go up for used cars, please give us your opinion
4)Price - how much will it be for 3 year old 2012 / 2013 model, i'm assuming 3Lacs correct me if i'm wrong here.
5) Honda - After sales services ?????

Any Proud Brio Owners / non brio owners please provide inputs in my decision making.
MOD: please move my query to the appropriate forum if possible

Cheers!

Dear All,

I would like to request help for purchasing used Nissan X trail,
not much idea about availability of good one, bit worried about service and spares, availability and cost?
What will be average price for 50K to 70K driven 5year old X trail? It will be reliable for long run? Because i am suppose to drive this vehicle for long trips with family.
Finally why i am looking X trail? because heard good thing about Nissan and Xtrail, Ground Clearance, exclusivity, and kid like t sunroof.

Waiting for valuable advice from all the members.

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Inspecting a Second Hand Car – An Exhaustive Guide

Dear All,

I would like to request help for purchasing used Nissan X trail,
not much idea about availability of good one, bit worried about service and spares, availability and cost?
What will be average price for 50K to 70K driven 5year old X trail? It will be reliable for long run? Because i am suppose to drive this vehicle for long trips with family.
Finally why i am looking X trail? because heard good thing about Nissan and Xtrail, Ground Clearance, exclusivity, and kid like t sunroof.

Waiting for valuable advice from all the members.

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.
Frankly I think CR-V is a safer used car buy
We had the 2007 one and sold it last year at 76,000km since we were getting bored of our older cars so we sold off quite a few cars in the family together including the CRV and my beloved Ritz.
Sold for 3.75L because of depreciation and since its not a popular choice in the used car market.
Parts are fairly easy to get via Honda and not very expensive for such an expensive, large car
Suspension, tyres and engine mounts are generally what you should look out for with regards to CRV (2007 to 2012 models) but these are fairly easy fixes.
Engine is a gem and an absolute workhorse
Kmpl is low and gives 5-7 in bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic but gives 13-15kmpl on the highway but ride is very pliant and feels very solid and sedan like and can take corners at high speeds easily
2.4L is the best engine , 2.0 is very sedate. GC is fairly good except for rear differential chamber which is a bit low but shouldnt cause issues at all

Xtrail parts might be a problem since Renault-Nissan after sales isnt exactly praiseworthy.

Dear KKN,

Thank you so much for your valid reply, just i would like to clear few more doubts, kindly help, for Highway CRV will give 12 to 15 mileage? I thought only 8 or 9 maximum 10 kmpl. And what about GC because i am suppose to travel very bad roads. Finally what about normal service cost? Presently for my sonata gold normal service charges coming 8 to 10 thousands, i hope for CRV also charges will be same or not much different. What about reliability? What are the common parts to failure in CRV? As you mentioned suspension & engine mounts, normally how much it will cost?

If we are comparing CRV vs X trail what is the better option in terms of reliability, repair and maintenance cost?

Thanks&Regards
Kristy.

Top Bottom