Thread Starter #16

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Engine, Ride and Transmission Performance of Honda BR-V​

20160509_120939.jpg

20160509_120923.jpg

20160509_120933.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfwBn0hBalw

Friends and Fellow Readers, the engines offered in this new BR-V are 1.5 L Diesel and Petrol with 2 transmission options i.e 6 Speed Manual and CVT with paddle shifters in Petrol. Since I drove the Diesel Manual Transmission model, I can say that, this engine did not please me much. Honda tried out this engine by introducing in it's sedan, Honda CITY but ever since the introduction, the I-dtec engine hasn't been much confidence inspiring. Unlike the I-Vtec engine of Honda which has been tried and tested and trusted by buyers, I cannot say the same for this I-dtec mill because its not 100% niggle free and needs further refinement in terms of NVH levels and performance too. BR-V felt under-powered in Diesel to me and that 200 Nm of Torque and 100 PS on papers did not actually translate in reality to an extent. The revving of the engine leads to noise that is harsh to the ears and the engine noise also is clearly audible inside the cabin. As a 2nd chance, Honda could have improved on this aspect but they did not. 1.5 I-dtec's NVH issue has been raised by many people and has been a point of discussion often. So, still, BR-V has same characteristics with regards to the 1.5 I-Dtec. When I cranked the engine, the idle NVH was clearly audible but as I drove it then gradually the NVH levels got modulated. This has been an inherent characteristic of the I-dtec even in Jazz Facelift. For the front passengers the NVH can be unpleasant but the rear seat passengers might not complain much on it. Also, another cause of high NVH was the missing under-hood cladding. The missing cladding not only is a cost cutting by Honda but a big mistake which hampers the overall in-cabin experience. With a fuel tank capacity of 42 Lts, the diesel on papers can provide 21.9 Km/L but in real world driving anything between 16-18 km/L can be achieved. A word about the I-vtec 1.5 L Petrol, BR-V continues with the I-vtec 1.5 L and I am sure this engine will never be disappointing since I do own a Honda CITY I-Vtec and it certainly is a fuss free engine with a good performance and rev-happy attitude. In the I-vtec the NVH as well as the driving manners both are poles apart from I-dtec. Talking about the Transmission, the 6 speed MT is not very smooth and has a notch feel but still the Clutch does its work nicely. Specially during downshift the slotting needs precision and it can not be compared with the transmission that Hyundai has been providing to CRETA. The transmission needs improvisation and please note, at present the CVT is coming in Petrol only and the Diesel BR-V does not have an AT/CVT option to offer. In my opinion honestly, in this 2nd opportunity, Honda could have given a bigger diesel engine like 1.6 L being offered in likes of Creta and S-Cross and with that provision it could have managed an edge over Ertiga and Lodgy to an extent. Overall, I could not feel the peppy-ness and refinement in 1.5 L I-dtec engine of BR-V and based on this I would say, for city traffic, the diesel engine lacks performance and so does it's transmission. In my view I-vtec with CVT is far better an option if you want a fun-to-drive experience.

The Ride, Braking, Steering and Suspension of BR-V: My TD car had 16in Alloys with 195 Section Tyres (195/60/R16). The ride quality was good and nothing as such was there to complaint about. It felt quite planted on roads and easily took over the bumps and rough patches. The jerks were not really harsh. The suspension is well-worked and provided added comfort to the handling of the car and it certainly complements our roads. As we were 2 persons on-board so I took the car at 80-90 km/h on a empty stretch as to check high speed braking. I was left surprised. Yes, I was surprise in an unpleasant way rather because upon braking at 80-85km/h range, there was quite a lot of body roll evident. Maybe the same may not happen with 6-7 pax on-board but honestly with lesser load, body roll is too much. About braking, yes, its good and precise and halting time from 80 km/h to 0 km/h is also quite good. The car did not sway left or right and the grip of the Tyre(s) kept it well balanced. So, in terms of high speed manners it is an above average performer. About the steering, at 75-80 Km/H, the steering actually did not feel dead. Though it is a power steering but at high speed it won't leave you sweating with fear and neither shall make you sweat in city's traffic. In my driving, I am impressed with the feedback of BR-V's steering. Also, If this car is driven on the highways, I can say that it won't be an extra-ordinary affair but yes you'll not be left utterly disappointed either. It is for me just another diesel with mediocre performance attributes and safety wise the BR-V comes with Dual Airbags as standard and ABS with EBD also is there.

Thread Starter #17

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Some Salient Features of Honda BR-V diesel 1.5 I-Dtec.

* Kerb Weight: 1271 (E), 1289 (S), 1301 (V), 1306 (VX) Kgs.

* Front Driver Side Window Auto Up and Down.

* Immobilizer

* Head-light off reminder

* Twin Cabin lights as standard

* ECO Lamp as standard.

* Keyless Entry as standard.

* Push-Button and Smart Key Option (Variant Specific)

* 6 Body Color options to choose from.

* Driver Seat Height Adjuster present in every variant except Base model.

What I liked

* Better looks than Mobilio

* Better interiors than Mobilio

* Space is good.

* Projector headlamps as standard is good move.

* Dual Airbags as standard a very good move.

* Ride quality is good.

* AC Performance is very good.

What needs improvement.

Option of Diesel AT / CVT

Better tuned Diesel engine.

No AVN system in top variant.

Side Profile is ugly.

Cheap chrome accessories to be avoided even as OEM Accessory.

Poor NVH

Plastic Finishing needs big time improvement.

The overall external design could be far better as to compete with competitors of the segment.

From the Mobilio Twins to BR-V: Nothing much changed!!

20160509_114322.jpg

20160509_122144.jpg

20160509_122223.jpg

20160509_113111.jpg

Thread Starter #18

Akash1886

Honoured Member
A Few Videos of the BR-V by Honda Cars India.

Interiors of BR-V are better than Mobilio but missing the AVN and giving a mediocre ICE & speakers-tweeters with average sound is a put off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjTExKeMSsM

A small external Walk-Around of Displayed Honda BR-V at the showroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrVPYk464As

Thanks for giving the time to read this BR-V Drive Review[:)]

20160509_115555.jpg

All details of this Test Drive Review are only for The Automotive India. Any sharing needs full credit to TAI.

Regards

Akash

Nice review Akash! As expected, BR-V didn't turned heads. Honda India failed miserably, especially when I'm on the lookout for an used honda(Yeah, I know, but it matters!).

Looks - Bad
Diesel Engine - Same in Jazz/Amaze/Mobilio/City/BR-V and who, even in CR-V they'll plonk it at higher statue of tune!
Interiors - Still bland! [anger]
NVH - Kidding? It's missing the god-damn cladding. Hyundai diesel's are known for refinement, and so they skip on insulation sheet under the bonnet, but Honda diesel's are far from refined. At best, I'd say it is crude.
Performance - One word. Linear. It is just, Linear. Acceleration doesn't excite you but it gives enough power at all power band. And this for me, is one big positive among those -ves.

Petrol is a different story. It is one of the most refined petrols I've ever driven. So IMO, Honda had a chance, but they failed to understand and deliver.

I've seen next-gen City scoop somewhere and interiors looks pleasing. I hope they do bring it for India and will use it across all the cars!

Somehow I feel Honda tried to do With BRV what Tata did to Bolt however they forgot that Bolt interiors got great build quality inside out with amazing Harmon system still a sales dud.

Another thing, I found Mobilio's rear better than BRV's my personal opinion might differ with others however I liked the new front.

Honda need to rethink on their cost cutting measures as people think of quality when they name Honda but now a days they are loosing it with the kind of inetriors they are providing in a car which is on sale for more than million rupees.

Thread Starter #22

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Honda need to rethink on their cost cutting measures as people think of quality when they name Honda but now a days they are loosing it with the kind of inetriors they are providing in a car which is on sale for more than million rupees.
Cost cutting is indeed evident even in top spec BR-V. What I feel is Honda has now become more commercialized and slightly less customer centeric with it's products. I mean, firstly they did not work out a strategy to re-tune I-dtec engine and address the flaws of it. In top spec variant they did not give a AVN and of all other things, a small thing like under-hood cladding is also missing. It is to be understood that by just giving comforts like Auto Folding ORVMs in top model and push button the product does not become a well rounded option. At the price, it should be able to have features that the competitors do provide in the segment. If the product is not able to have an edge over its competitors then still should be atleast at-par and not inferior to them.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Cost cutting is indeed evident even in top spec BR-V. I mean, firstly they did not work out a strategy to re-tune I-dtec engine and address the flaws of it. In top spec variant they did not give a AVN and of all other things, a small thing like under-hood cladding is also missing.
Regards

Akash

BR-V is certainly looking like a half cooked product(For the charged Premium) and it is something which Honda wanted to have a quick turnaround for a product which can take space left by Innova price range. But it won't be accepted by the buyers gleefully and I believe and sales figure will depicts the same.

Now, since most of the Reviewers like Autocar, Overdrive etcs have claimed Honda has worked on the NVH of Diesel engine and claimed its better than before but not up to the competitors, In BR-V they did not provided the hood insulation(As stated) and still NVH is better than before then it confirms Honda has worked on NVH level as Jazz & City has this hood insulation.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nda-jazz-i-dtec-mt-driven-20150712_144827.jpg

This made me think what made Honda to not to provide this insulation as it will further dampen the Noise [frustration] As, they themselves wanted to be pin pointed with their each product.

Great review Akash, would take test ride of BRV as well. I would definitely consider petrol engine as this has been tried and tested all the while

Thread Starter #25

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Now, since most of the Reviewers like Autocar, Overdrive etcs have claimed Honda has worked on the NVH of Diesel engine and claimed its better than before but not up to the competitors, In BR-V they did not provided the hood insulation(As stated) and still NVH is better than before then it confirms Honda has worked on NVH level as Jazz & City has this hood insulation.
Actually, it is not at all as significant an improvement in NVH of BR-V diesel, the idle NVH is very much audible but while in-cruise the NVH settles but not to expected levels. About the insulation, I fail to understand, why Honda did not give the same to BR-V which is their "SUV"? Jazz and City being much lesser in price do have it but not BR-V. I hope, listening to many reviewers about the NVH, Honda might begin to provide the under-hood cladding soon.

Regards

Akash

Well great review as always. But alas the car did not live upto the reviewers reputation. Review let down by the car i would say.

Same style silhouette, increase stance and can say an SUV? Com'on see what tata have done to the hexa. inside out including engine have been modified and brought the car in much better looks and appeal.

Well being honda it will sell for initial months atleast.

I don't know why BRV resembles Hexa a lot Or maybe Hexa resemlbes BRV

Same kind of front treatment and cladings however Tata worked better and Hexa seems like better update and if priced aggressively we might see competition(although totally a diffrent segment) in BRV and Hexa as both will be 6/7 seater Muv/SUV[glasses] and a cheaper option to Innova cysta.

Great time ahead[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #29

Akash1886

Honoured Member
alas the car did not live upto the reviewers reputation. Review let down by the car i would say.

Same style silhouette, increase stance and can say an SUV? Com'on see what tata have done to the hexa.
Well being honda it will sell for initial months atleast.
Buddy, every reviewer knows about merits and de-merits of a car but the thing is none of us can simply write off the vehicle. If you remember, much before the launch, the BR-V did not garner much excitement or anticipation and the simple reason was, BR-V is old wine served in new bottle. Also, by not calling spade a spade, one might enter in good books of an OEM but more than that a intelligent reviewer is the eyes for the general buyer. One has to make sure to bring out the real picture as it is without sugar-coating. In case of BR-V, it is just an MPV and nothing more. If by using a cladding and raising a few "mm" of height the brand calls it an SUV then it is simply not justified. I remember Lodgy had a variant which came with new front grill and some more cladding but Renault never projected it as an SUV. Coming to one of the strong contender, Maruti's Ertiga, if MSIL adds cladding to it then will it be justified to call it a SUV or even a crossover? If by adding skid plates and cladding, a car can become an SUV or mini SUV, then even Hyundai's i20 Active is a mini SUV. About it's future sales, logically if I may say, the only reason for initial attraction to BR-V will be the front profile. And no matter what, it will have stiff competition with Ertiga.

Regards

Akash

BR-V is certainly looking like a half cooked product(For the charged Premium) and it is something which Honda wanted to have a quick turnaround for a product which can take space left by Innova price range. But it won't be accepted by the buyers gleefully and I believe and sales figure will depicts the same.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nda-jazz-i-dtec-mt-driven-20150712_144827.jpg

This made me think what made Honda to not to provide this insulation as it will further dampen the Noise [frustration] As, they themselves wanted to be pin pointed with their each product.
Autocar/Overdrive are paid reviewers. They will do anything to justify their paycheque.
I am glad that Akash and TAI is calling it as it is- a regular MUV with good ground clearance. I want to know , why is it that people keep criticizing the Duster for its plastic quality/ancient interior ? Going by the pics from Akash, the plastic part's fit/finish seems to be absolutely sub-par. Even my Micra's fit/finish seems to be better.

Not sure if this point has been covered- is there underbody/engine protection for the BR-V ? Seems to me there isnt.

Top Bottom