Honda BR-V Diesel M.T Drive Review

Thread Starter #31

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Going by the pics from Akash, the plastic part's fit/finish seems to be absolutely sub-par.
To be frank it is indeed sub-par. Even if the TD car's plastics are polished, yet, in sunlight, the poor finishing and texture will still be an eye-sore to the people.

Even my Micra's fit/finish seems to be better.
My 2011 Base model Honda City I-vtec has better finished interiors than the BR-V

Not sure if this point has been covered- is there underbody/engine protection for the BR-V ? Seems to me there isnt.
Will re-confirm it by evening today.[:)]

Regards

Akash

It looks like Honda is not even considering Indian market. It seriously looks so! With it's sub par interiors and expecting us to pay a premium and not offering enough features. It has become a Honda Habit, if you ask me.

I was on lookout for used 2010-2011 City for past few months and after looking some older generation City and checking out current one, I can see how bad Honda has downgraded! The older ones(Dolphin model, is that right?) is far better in terms of build quality. Even 2010-11 models feel better put together than the current tinny one.

At times, I felt I would rather buy Etios and enjoy the peace of mind of their awesome service and low bills. That's how bad it has gone. I wish Honda wakes up from their slumber party and sober up to give us a better product, which is worth for the money we pay!

Sorry if it looks like Bash, but I seriously like City and I don't want to see it get any more tinnier than it is now.

only way to get them out of slumber is not buy their vehicle for once. the way indians have shunned tata like untouchable, have now made them do what they are doing. This is way honda have to be treated i guess.
I don't see that happening. With City being sales topper and Amaze selling in good number, it is pretty hard to make any dent in the sales for Honda to realize this.

But one thing for sure, if next-gen Verna is closer to City in terms of space, I guess it will surely bring down city's numbers along with help of Ciaz, which is already closing in with City!

Let's stop this here and talk about BR-V! It looks too off-topic, even for me! [lol]

BR-V is nothing but a glorified Mobilio IMO.

Thread Starter #35

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

For the benefit of all, I am attaching a few more exterior and interior pics of Top Spec Diesel Honda BR-V VX which I saw today. The car has under-body engine cover in VX and under-hood cladding. The under hood cladding was actually absent in the VX TD car that I had driven. Upon asking I was told only VX will get under-hood cladding and the executive told, "Sir maybe for cleaning the hood properly for a short time the cladding might be removed and during that time you took the TD". So, as I saw that today, so updating it here. The cladding material isn't really assuring though and looks as a make-shift arrangement with weak rivets.

Under-Hood Cladding & Under-engine cover in VX Diesel.

20160512_135839.jpg

20160512_135943.jpg

The top spec BR-V Diesel does not have cup holders in rear armrest. The length is also quite long.

20160512_135550.jpg

The VX Diesel gets door lock-unlock button and windows lock button in power window switch panel along with the ORVM adjusters.

20160512_135711.jpg

Headlamp & Fog Lamp lighting and the Side Positioning lamp in VX Diesel.

20160512_140143.jpg

20160512_140149.jpg

20160512_140155.jpg

The 10-Spoke 16 inch alloy wheel design of the top-spec BR-V VX Diesel.

20160512_135611.jpg

The display model VX Diesel BR-V

20160512_135624.jpg

20160512_135629.jpg

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #37

Akash1886

Honoured Member
So, what is Honda saying by having the underbody protection for diesel VX ? You cant exactly take the petrol BR-V even mildly off road ?
Buddy logically you are absolutely correct. But look at the below video from 0:33 and see how confidently Honda is showing off-roading with BR-V! In reality, I really doubt if this car can actually do as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5SMzdTXYQc

Honda Official

Regards

Akash

Did you catch them mentioning roller coaster ? But why ? Isnt the car supposed to have less body roll ? If not, then they have inadvertently commited a faux pas !

BTW merely heading off the road is not Off-roading, as you would agree. Does it have a sufficient wheel articulation ? Decent approach, departure and break-over angles ?

Thread Starter #39

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Did you catch them mentioning roller coaster ? But why ? Isnt the car supposed to have less body roll ? If not, then they have inadvertently commited a faux pas !
Absolutely! I agree. Infact while driving and braking I too felt evident body roll in it and had mentioned it too.

I was surprise in an unpleasant way rather because upon braking at 80-85km/h range, there was quite a lot of body roll evident.
BTW merely heading off the road is not Off-roading, as you would agree.
That was a Joke! without using inverted commas[:D]

Does it have a sufficient wheel articulation ? Decent approach, departure and break-over angles ?
Continuing the faux pas, this product still remains more of a blunder than a off-roader. For making the desired off-roader indeed the actual characteristic of the same as you mentioned have to be infused and cosmetically turning an MPV to a SUV-look alike doesn't serve the purpose. This much "off-roading" even a Ertiga could do. This vehicle from the 1st sight of it would be difficult to pass-off as a off-roader. And above all that, the final nail in the coffin! The theory for missing under-hood cladding!! I mean, come on is it so easy to remove it? Had that person given a viable reply I could accept it but I was left expressionless just in afternoon today when the executive gave the reply for the under-hood cladding! Man, it was like, how comfortably that person said, "It might be because the hood had to be cleaned properly" as if the hood had gold mine underneath. Above that, from your view point, I would like to know, is it right from Honda's point that they discriminate in providing a small thing like a hood cladding to only VX and not the S-Variant BRV and others? NVH levels in every diesel variant would be the same isn't it? So isn't providing a cladding more of a necessity than a privilege? I don't think Honda is indeed too excited or forthcoming in regards to the sales of this BR-V. A new product is one that has a new soul to it which this BR-V doesn't have.

Regards

Akash

To be honest ,one thing i will appreciate about this car is the equipment list for the most basic diesel variant. Its obvious Honda wants this model to sell & if looks dont matter all too much then the basic variant seems vfm but ride & handling seems alot to be desired itseems.
I wish cars like Duster can take a few cues & better the pricing to equipment list on their base variants.

Thread Starter #41

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

Its been quite sometime since BR-V has lunched. Have any of you booked it so far? Or got it? There isnt a ownership thread of BR-V.

Regards

Akash

Thanks a lot Akash for the well detailed review (That cuts my job to half as I will be simply hyperlinking :biggrin:)

Recently I tested the BR-V CVT and the official review of the same shall be up shortly. For now, I have these 2 videos to share with fellow enthusiasts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qQ0hA8LmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G6oY942tkw

Additionally my impressions for BR-V CVT are:
  • Good performance and responsiveness for a CVT
  • Good seat design and cushioning
  • Good ergonomics, like any Honda
  • Dynamics are car ike, by no ways you feel that you are driving a UV

• Lack of equipment for a car that costs over 13.5 lac on road
  • Plastic quality, fit and finish leave a lot to be desired
  • Poor FE we got on CVT, Honda claims 16 kpl ARAI certified but we got 7.6, 8.1, 9.7, 10.3, 11.9 and 12.8 under different conditions. Overall we were able to go only 430 kms in over 47 liters of petrol. The possibility of a faulty car or defective system can't be ruled out though.

Sharing some pics of MID as a reference:

9.7 kpl for overall trip of over 300 kilometers of which it was hardly 30% of city driving
FE1.JPG

12.8 kpl for a nearly pure highway drive (10% city) with ECO light ON more than 70% of time with speed being 80-90 most of the time
FE2.JPG

And it turned to 11.9 in no time (Notice the trip reading) when done a city drive albiet on empty city roads with speeds ranging between 30-70.
FE3.JPG

Last edited:
Was just browsing and found an interesting comparison on India Today.

This is the comparison between BR-V, Creta & Nuvosport.

Here is the Link :-

Comparison: Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta vs Mahindra NuvoSport : Comparisons, News - India Today

We all know How vocal is Honda's Diesel engine but also accept its efficient also there is one point it is also less emission engine.

CO2 emission from Honda is 130gm/km where as from Hyundai & Mahindra it is 199 & 224gm/km respectively.

I am not sure whether these fig are true or not but if yes then this data point also should be published along with BHPs.

Attachments

Last edited:
Buddies,

Its been quite sometime since BR-V has lunched. Have any of you booked it so far? Or got it? There isnt a ownership thread of BR-V.

Regards

Akash
Hi Akash,
Yes I have booked the BRV - petrol V - MT. We had booked the Creta S Petrol earlier but my dad cancelled the booking citing the below reasons.
I didn't stop him since 99% of the time he will be using the car & I reside in Dubai.
Main reasons dad gave were:
1. Ground clearance higher @210 mm. Very useful for the bad roads in Orissa.
2. Seven seats (dad goes on trips with relatives, friends)
3. Larger boot space.
4. VTEC Honda Engine.
I wish the BRV had better interiors though, and looks are also more in the crossover MPV segment than "SUV-ish".
I will be starting an ownership thread very soon. Meanwhile here are a few pictures from the stockyard.

We have booked Golden Brown Metallic - Some pictures from the stock yard.
The color is darker than brown but not as dark as black. This color also does a good job at hiding dust/dirt. VIN shows the car is manufactured in July 2016.[clap] we will take delivery withing the next 7 days.

Attachments

Top Bottom