HM Ambassador MK-II: Restoring To Original Shape

Awesome restoration bro. without losing the originality i mean the steering wheel, front grill, steering side gear etc. your car looks so great man...

[clap]

Looking to make some real changes to the Ambassador body. Apart from the pictures which I found online, I also intend to make it into a traveller of sorts, have 2 folding beds, extend the rear of the car so I could carry things like a potable genny, a small air cooler. I want to drop a tata 2.2 dicor into it so it has adequate power. Any suggestions and ideas ??

Attachments

Thread Starter #155
Looking to make some real changes to the Ambassador body. Apart from the pictures which I found online, I also intend to make it into a traveller of sorts, have 2 folding beds, extend the rear of the car so I could carry things like a potable genny, a small air cooler. I want to drop a tata 2.2 dicor into it so it has adequate power. Any suggestions and ideas ??
amby is one car you can make any cosmetic changes as u like .ambys used to come in estate version and they were not popular , but i like an estate version which will add extra space , the ideas you have is good sounds like a mini caravan. dicor engine in amby u need to check it with the mechanic ,needs alteration to set the engine ,.and see to it that your rto rules permit it. amby with dicor engine wow super

Hi Speedodude,
I have seen one such car in a theatre (Flower Market Coimbatore). I am not sure what engine it had. The looks of that car was very nice with Gypsy discs,Modified interiors. If i get a chance to go the same theatre again, surely i will get some pictures of that car.

Thread Starter #157
giving a small review about our car after long time , i feel that the engine has no power at all its a matador 301 with steering column shift , though have serviced the fuel pump twice improvement is minimal.funniest part is during family outing when we have to climb a hill the car lacks power to move the car the passengers have to get down from the car ,very embarrassing situation . .planning to instal isuzu gearbox lets hope to see the changes,hunting one now.

now i could see bubbles on the body surface paint chipping off at some places very sad to see after done painstakingly restoring process . had great hopes that in tamil nadu the workmanship will be good and i still believe ,but its not for outsiders like us .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Speedodude,
Its really tough to hear the things happened over here in Tamilnadu Workshop. As of my understanding, there is no perfect painter for painting old cars. Since it requires lot of paste work with perfection (As of my knowledge), Painters are missing in many places thoughout the bodylines..
Kindly dont for Isuzu gear box alteration until and unless your Engine things get solved. Surely this is not related to the gearbox. Something we need to check in the Engine area. Oil Pump, Engine Compression Power etc., So please dont spend too much money for Gear box thing without sorting this Engine Issues.
If you come to Coimbatore or Bangalore kindly let me know, we will meet up. In coimbatore there are some good places which we can do it with less cost too.. So dont worry too much..

Really great Restoration mate
Well done and I am amazed to see the outcome of this

Body looks mint and interior too.
so you have kept the original Dash trim , are you planning to upgrade dash to match the seats and upholstery ?

Vikram,good project and ideas are great

Are you planning to do that roject in India or overseas ?

Thread Starter #160
surely will meet ambylover when i come to coimbatore. in cbe which place do you suggest who do the engine and overall work could you tell me

Last edited by a moderator:
surely will meet ambylover when i come to coimbatore. in cbe which place do you suggest who do the engine and overall work could you tell me
Popular Engine Reworks does good job earlier and they too give Warranty got their work.. But they are very costly.. Other than that, i dont see a good Mechanic over here.
If you are comfortable, you can check in Salem. I have did my Engine rework on Durai Workshop. He was very old man and have a vast experience in engine rework. Else we can get a good engine in the market for around 5 to 8 thousand...

Engine rework may cost up to 30000 along with Pump work.
Used Engine in market we can get it around 5000 to 8000.. So Take a decision based on your budget constraints..
At any time you can call me if you have any queries.[:)]

Thread Starter #162
@ambylover hi , was busy so couldn't reply to you have checked the oil meter it shows 4 when starting and in idle. during movement it shows 4 and up keeps fluctuating.
regarding engine rework ,i have already exhausted my vitamin m savings ,will take some time to consider any work. i feel used market to get a good engine is best option .

Hi,
If its working in 4 to 5 points regularly, then surely no issues with oil pump. Initial start up will always show 4 to 5 range. But when heated also, its like that means, OIL pump is fine.

Top Bottom