Help on buying an used car

It may not necessarily be fishy.It may be a 2nd car for the user which he/she sparingly used.we had a 2002 Omni that did only 22000 km in 6 yrs before selling it.
A white civic sports was for sell which had run only 8k. It had a major accident after which it was fixed and the job was so neatly done,even from inside(under the bonnet).The buyer had taken the car for inspection in some Honda but either the people who checked the car were fools or the second owners bad luck.

So you see its always good to have a feeling of "something's fishy backed with it might not be too" which finally leads to good results.[:)]

So how did the Second Owner come to know that it had a major accident??
He never came to know about it.The car used to pull to the left slightly,that was the only hint but may be he thought it would be solved after alignment,etc but the first owner had tried it all but when everything failed he sold off the car.

Advice on buying a 2nd car.
you need lots of patience.
i have seen lots of 2nd hand cars with defect being being sold. and latter regretted for buying them.

in general the face of cars must lift.
like floor the pedal and the cars front must rise and run .
No oil leakage must b in engine bay. If the engine bay is too clean stay away. they are makeup-ing the car.
Dont fix a time to check the car. Check them suddenly.
Check for tyre wear. uneven wears are correctable but helps in bargain.
check the apron panels and other welding spots. they must b clean with spot welding. Any doubt refer the same model new car.
and smoke must be correct. no white or black smoke must be there.
check the floors and pedals for the usage.
digital meter tampering are costlier. older speedo must b smooth in its flow, else it has been tampered. It will be vibrating at low speeds.
Apart from these other dents and scratches and nigs can be used in lowering the price.
There are loads of tips in buying a second hand car.
Will post here one by one whenever i remember it.

if you are looking for driving pleasure accent is not even comparable.if you love to drive listen to me go for baleno.yes i am a big fan of this car..try finding altura if you could.it even doest look ugly!!

For indian roads maruti and tata is best in sedan.
Accent is such a good car from hyundai , but not suitable for normal road.
It has its chassis coming till front and has rubber bushes support and the stabilizing roads are so thin. this is best to get vibrations in them and give the driver a good comfort driving. nice to drive in good nh but not for roads with pothholes.
Even a slight dash in chassis has its own adverse affect.
And to count on it the hyndais have a soft suspension that tend to go off soon for our road condition.

ilango[speed thirst];1966 said:
I totally disagree.There are so many BMW's,Audi's running on Indian roads.
----------Next Post------------
I disagree with this too.Accent was a big hit by Hyundai & obviously they were driven on normal roads.

Last edited:
I totally disagree.There are so many BMW's,Audi's running on Indian roads.
----------Next Post------------

I disagree with this too.Accent was a big hit by Hyundai & obviously they were driven on normal roads.

Neil
Ilango is considering the best options for CC's budget of 4-5 lacs
If you can get a really neat Audi/BMW for 4-5 lacs i'm highly interested in going for one.

Accent has a soft suspension setup generally almost all hyundai's do and hence it bottoms out on speedbreakers and potholes(Accents and Santro for sure) .As he said an accent is best suited for the highway because of the soft suspension but on pothole ridden roads it feels like you are on a pogostick.

Neil
Ilango is considering the best options for CC's budget of 4-5 lacs
If you can get a really neat Audi/BMW for 4-5 lacs i'm highly interested in going for one.

Accent has a soft suspension setup generally almost all hyundai's do and hence it bottoms out on speedbreakers and potholes(Accents and Santro for sure) .As he said an accent is best suited for the highway because of the soft suspension but on pothole ridden roads it feels like you are on a pogostick.
He dint say for CC's budget tata & maruti are best in sedan.

He said for Indian roads tata & maruti are the best in sedan which i still disagree.[:)]

& about the Accent suspension, i know its soft but that does not mean accents were only used on highways.Even civic has this suspension prob but that that dint stop it from being a hit.[:)]

In short no one will ever get a perfect car, there are always some negative points.

ilango[speed thirst];1924 said:
Advice on buying a 2nd car.
you need lots of patience.
i have seen lots of 2nd hand cars with defect being being sold. and latter regretted for buying them.
in general the face of cars must lift.
like floor the pedal and the cars front must rise and run .
No oil leakage must b in engine bay. If the engine bay is too clean stay away. they are makeup-ing the car.
Dont fix a time to check the car. Check them suddenly.
Check for tyre wear. uneven wears are correctable but helps in bargain.
check the apron panels and other welding spots. they must b clean with spot welding. Any doubt refer the same model new car.
and smoke must be correct. no white or black smoke must be there.
check the floors and pedals for the usage.
digital meter tampering are costlier. older speedo must b smooth in its flow, else it has been tampered. It will be vibrating at low speeds.
Apart from these other dents and scratches and nigs can be used in lowering the price.
There are loads of tips in buying a second hand car.
Will post here one by one whenever i remember it.
Pay Attention here [anger]

It has its chassis coming till front and has rubber bushes support and the stabilizing roads are so thin. this is best to get vibrations in them and give the driver a good comfort driving. nice to drive in good nh but not for roads with pothholes.
Even a slight dash in chassis has its own adverse affect.
And to count on it the hyndais have a soft suspension that tend to go off soon for our road condition.

He dint say for CC's budget tata & maruti are best in sedan.

He said for Indian roads tata & maruti are the best in sedan which i still disagree.

& about the Accent suspension, i know its soft but that does not mean accents were only used on highways.Even civic has this suspension prob but that that dint stop it from being a hit.

In short no one will ever get a perfect car, there are always some negative points.
A Civic may be a hit but the suspension is the worst thing[frustration].My friends Civic bottoms on almost every single speadbreaker in mumbai and on potholes road the ride quality is miserable.
Seeing that CC already has a Swift which has Hard rally based suspension its better for him to go for a car which has a hard suspension setup.Soft suspension setup cars have a different handling characteristic.

Pay Attention here
A Civic may be a hit but the suspension is the worst thing.My friends Civic bottoms on almost every single speadbreaker in mumbai and on potholes road the ride quality is miserable.
Seeing that CC already has a Swift which has Hard rally based suspension its better for him to go for a car which has a hard suspension setup.Soft suspension setup cars have a different handling characteristic.
I am not asking CC to buy a accent over any other car. I am just defending the accent here which you guys are saying is bad for normal city roads due to its soft suspension.So i gave an example of civic which according to the logic you guys are applying (soft suspension good for highways) is being used vastly in the cities regardless of the bad road conditions

A
Civic may be a hit but the suspension is the worst thing[frustration].My friends Civic bottoms on almost every single speadbreaker in mumbai and on potholes road the ride quality is miserable.
I am not asking CC to buy a accent over any other car. I am just defending the accent here which you guys are saying is bad for normal city roads due to its soft suspension.So i gave an example of civic which according to the logic you guys are applying (soft suspension good for highways) is being used vastly in the cities regardless of the bad road conditions
The thing i have highlighted is the biggest disadvantage of a soft suspension setup.And Civic sells predominently because of it looks and nothing else.

The thing i have highlighted is the biggest disadvantage of a soft suspension setup.And Civic sells predominently because of it looks and nothing else.
But just because of a soft suspension setup not considering a accent is not fair and calling it unsuitable for city roads & calling Maruti & Tata sedans best for Indian roads is not fair again.Where are the lancers & OHC's ?They are better on Indian roads than the tata & maruti's sedans.

My posts were just to disagree the following two things said by ilango -
1) Considering only the tata & maruti sedans as best for Indian roads.&
2) Not considering accent just because a soft suspension.[:)]

350Z

Core Team
Ok Everyone.
I think its enough.
This is going off-topic and no way its going to help Crazy Cat for his car Buy, So please stop this arguement.

If you want to discuss on this issue further then please start a new thread.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #45
I was never impressed by Accent's suspension. That's why i said that its not on my list.

I think that 2005 Baleno lxi is sold off while we're on talks. The dealers have less idea about it, as the owner of the car is not telling properly. Now there is 2006 Baleno vxi clocked about 18k kms, but the asking price is Rs. 3,90,000.

I came across another shocker, a 2007 Lancer diesel clocked 8000km, the asking price is 7.75 lacs, more than the ex-showroom price(7.49 lacs) of new car.

Top Bottom