Guide: How To Make Your Car Battery Go On & On!

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. you can never regain full performance. think of Battery as slow ticking time bombs. it's not the kms your vehicle makes but the age in years that kills them. infact a high mileage keeps Battery healthy than parked weekend cars.

2. I'm having Bad experience with amaron these days. having half a dozen batteries including commercial vehicles, jeeps and tractors, these batteries last just a few months more than their warranty. something like they're designed to die out just after warranty. usually it's a shorted cell so you can't restore them.

3. read about epsom salt restoration of Battery on the net. it works.

my exide invertor Battery lasted 8 years before shorting out. the rule is monthly maintaining with distilled Water and correct inverter settings.

Dear Mr Mudhan,
My name is Hoang. I come from Viet Nam. Now I am a sale man of Amaron Battery in Ha Noi - Viet Nam. I read your thead and I feel so good, thank you very much! [clap]
May i ask you any question, sir?
1. I knew that Amaron battery is India's Top Selling automotive battery. You can show me how to talk to customer in Viet Nam know that Amaron is great battery beacause they never known and seen by their eyes Amaron battery before, their hobbit is using Atlas & GS battery brand
2. I don't know these type Amaron battery: DIN 60, DIN 74, DIN 80, DIN 100 use for what cars? Where do I find this information?
I would lile hope you will answer for me, sir!
Best Regards !!!

Thread Starter #65

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dear Amaron VietNam

Hearty welcome to our forum and thank you very much for your appreciation over my efforts.

Straight to your questions:

1. Honestly , there are many excellent brands of batteries like Exide, Standard Furukawa (owned by Exide), Tata Green, Bosch (manufactured by Amaron) are in India. I have used Exide and SF in my earlier cars and I am happy with Amaron in the recent past as my previous Amaron battery lasted more than 6 years in my previous car which was sparingly used during those last three years. Especially the quality of the battery outside and inside attracted me.
I only shared my personal experience and I hope, you will understand that this thread is not meant for any commercial concept.

2. DIN-Deutsches Institut für Normung (German Institute for Standardisation). DIN develops standards which lay down general or detailed specifications for products, procedures and services and you can see even in photo films.
Battery manufactures follow different standards , like CCA, a SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard, EN, IEC, DIN or JIS standard, please refer to the following LINK:

Battery life and performance - Average battery life has become shorter as energy requirements have increased. Two phrases I hear most often are "my battery won't take a charge, and my battery won't hold a charge". Only 30% of batteries sold today reach the 48-month mark. In fact 80% of all battery failure is related to sulfation build-up. This build up occurs when the sulfur molecules in the electrolyte (battery acid) become so deeply discharged that they begin to coat the battery's lead plates. Before long the plates become so coated that the battery dies. The causes of sulfation are numerous. Let me list some for you.
Battery Basics - TheBatteryCellOnline

You can compare with CCA and find the batteries.

You can read here some more discussions in my other thread over CCA grades.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...new-honda-city-white-albus-53.html#post414696

Regards
DR. MUDHAN

1. you can never regain full performance.
Sent my dead OEM Amaron (Honda City) to Amaron for an exchange for a new Pro series (Dr. Mudhan's). But the unit has been serviced/recharged by them stating nothing wrong with my battery is good for at least another year or so. Don't know what to make of it, I'll have to wait and see how it goes. Thanks BHVM.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Sent my dead OEM Amaron (Honda City) to Amaron for an exchange for a new Pro series (Dr. Mudhan's). But the unit has been serviced/recharged by them stating nothing wrong with my battery is good for at least another year or so. Don't know what to make of it, I'll have to wait and see how it goes. Thanks BHVM.
if the vehicle use is less, it could be possible that the Battery is not fully charged. the same could be true if your car has extra load like large speakers /woofer, high wattage bulbs etc.

sometimes I disconnect my Batteries and put them on my state of the art 4 stage Solar mmppt charger. it dissolves'soft' sulphation and somewhat restores the capacity. I recently did the same with my i10 blue boy Battery.

if the vehicle use is less, it could be possible that the Battery is not fully charged. the same could be true if your car has extra load like large speakers /woofer, high wattage bulbs etc.

sometimes I disconnect my Batteries and put them on my state of the art 4 stage Solar mmppt charger. it dissolves'soft' sulphation and somewhat restores the capacity. I recently did the same with my i10 blue boy Battery.
Since new (Oct 2011) car has done 18,000 Kms and that would work out to 425 kms per month. No high end audio (just OEM) or other power consuming gadgets. In fact, all except for headlights 55/60w H4, most outside lights are LED of SMD variety.

Give me some input on your 4 stage Solar mmppt charger, like brand, model, price, etc. Worth looking into, since usage is lower than average. Tks.

bhvm

Honoured Member
for 4 years, 18k kms is very less. even my weekend cars do 40k kms in 2 years.

the 4 stage charger is a state of art unit with temperature compensated charging (via thermal probes attatched to Battery and various modes like boost charge, absorbsion charge, trickle charge, equalization mode etc.

the charger can be set from 5 amp to 40 amp charging current. since it's a part of my Solar power plant ,I don't think it works separately. I've converted my home and office using the same charger models. price 10K but entire system is 2.5.lac.

I guess you can get somewhat close effect by plugging your Battery in parallel to an inverter 12v Battery. have done that too.

the charger can be set from 5 amp to 40 amp charging current. since it's a part of my Solar power plant ,I don't think it works separately. I've converted my home and office using the same charger models. price 10K but entire system is 2.5.lac.

I guess you can get somewhat close effect by plugging your Battery in parallel to an inverter 12v Battery. have done that too.
Thanks. Was contemplating a 5Kva photovoltaic system for light loads at home - seemed not worth the effort and money. However, tapping off from Home UPS system (24vDC-100AH) to charge car battery seems a reasonable way to go.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks. Was contemplating a 5Kva photovoltaic system for light loads at home - seemed not worth the effort and money. However, tapping off from Home UPS system (24vDC-100AH) to charge car battery seems a reasonable way to go.
5kv system is overkill for light loads. my 1kw system runs whole office including 1 laser Printer, many laptops, lights and fans.

heres a great thread for the same-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...general-discussion-solar-diy-home-office.html

currently Solar units are not monetarily feasible. it's just the green bug that bit Me.

Question To bhvm ;

As you mentioned, I got Home UPS Inverter (800VA) with Exide IT500 150Ah Battery which powering my PC / TV / Light & Fan during power cut.

I also got Thick Jumper Cable and my Car Battery is Exide DIN65 (65Ah),

My Question can I able to charge my car battery without disconnecting the main inverter battery ?

Example : - Inverter ->(Own Inverter Cable)-> IT500 Main Battery-> (Jumper Cable)->DIN65 Car Battery.

Is it possible ?

bhvm

Honoured Member
yes, this is exactly what I shall suggest. make sure about the polarity or both batteries will go BOOM.

I suggest you connect the discharged Battery for atleast 2 days and run a charge / discharge cycle (Indian power cuts should do the job ) to restore the car Battery.

I guess you have the Same Inverter Battery as my set.

Last edited:
Hello @bhvm,

I have a unused Power Planet brand's home inverter, rated 800va square-wave. Can it be used to charge the car battery incase it goes low?

Previous I had TATA Nano which the battery had gone low once. One of my friend who is a battery engineer said home inverter couldn't be used to charge a car battery's because there is different type of inverter/charger for that and he had that so took the battery to charge it. Is he correct?

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello @bhvm,

I have a unused Power Planet brand's home inverter, rated 800va square-wave. Can it be used to charge the car battery incase it goes low?

Previous I had TATA Nano which the battery had gone low once. One of my friend who is a battery engineer said home inverter couldn't be used to charge a car battery's because there is different type of inverter/charger for that and he had that so took the battery to charge it. Is he correct?

Thanks...
Best Regards
if the inverter is good quality and has smart charging (sensor based ) it can be used. but for once in a while it should be safe.

what your friend is saying it's incorrect. both the batteries have same chemistry and type-
flooded lead acid with hydro sulphuric acid.

heck! these days people are using sealed lead acid and AGM Battery on inverter too!
if the chemistry is radically different like nickel metal hydride or nickel cadmium, chargers are different.

my charger has charge settings like end of charge voltage, trickle charge voltage, float hold time, temperature compensation etc.
however a layman shouldn't be worried for single charge. actually, automotive batteries are designed to take more abuse than inverter Battery.

Top Bottom