Correct Usage of Clutch While Braking?

i wouldn't suggest that at all . what ranger said is more pratical way to stop . i was also thought same way by my uncle in early driving [:)]
Buddy I strictly insisted that this method to opt for in a do or die situation. Just imagine doing downshifting one gear at a time when you are approaching a dead end.

freakdude.

If I have to stop the vehicle in a slop (climb) and then move, normally what I do is to keep the clutch in half position and then release brakes slowly so that the vehicle start moving forward without even an inch of backward movement.

Is there any issue with this practice?
its ok as long as you don't keep clutch in same position for longer time

Buddy I strictly insisted that this method to opt for in a do or die situation. Just imagine doing downshifting one gear at a time when you are approaching a dead end.

freakdude.
if only you are travelling below 100 else above 100 expect flip or spinning out of control

if only you are travelling below 100 else above 100 expect flip or spinning out of control
No buddy. There would be no spin/flip at all. Just a plain damn jerky halt with minimal skid. Speaking from experience, please don't make me remember the incident buddy.[cry]

freakdude.

Would not like to elaborate for obvious reason.[;)]
It all happened during a nasty turn taking out a hair pin bend in manali. Me and friends were in Qualis and it was the cab driver who did this and later explained the method to us. As expected gear box broke and all oil spilled on road. God bless him.

freakdude.

It all happened during a nasty turn taking out a hair pin bend in manali. Me and friends were in Qualis and it was the cab driver who did this and later explained the method to us. As expected gear box broke and all oil spilled on road. God bless him.

freakdude.
No offences to what you have suggested. Though that method had saved your life, I would suggest strongly not to do so , Instead of stopping the vehicle, the vehicle may get toppled because of sudden jerk, due to sudden impact spilled oil/fuel may catch fire.

Technically speaking-
Most important is one can not just put the car in reverse gear while it is moving, the time spent for engaging the reverse will be much much more than downshifting and braking and coming to halt.

No user manual would suggest this kind of method

PS: Technical guys your inputs required on the same.

I can also stop the car by balancing the accelerator and the clutch without touching the brake. But this is very bad for the clutch.
i usually do that in slopes and when we are in a tight fit in traffic light in an incline and other vehicles are touching ur bumper... so it is bad for the clutch.............[confused] what to do..

F

If it is a real nasty climb and somebody is tailgating you, a combination of hand brake, clutch and acceleration can also be used. But always be sure you are in the first gear.
little offtopic.. but i have observed MASS guys starting off in2nd gear. is this safe for the engine.. most of the time the engine stalls. and the y restart and engage 1 gear. why do they do this. on my first service the SA did the very same thing while TD. so i think i should write a letter to MUL. or is it safe to start off in 2nd gear? please comment..

i have heard (don't remember the source, found out when i was crazy on NFS Porsche)the Porsche used 2nd gear to pass sound test.. the First one was too noisy.

On most occasions, cars can move in second gear from stand still. But it is not recommended.

I always start from the first gear and while moving skip gears while accelerating according to the speed, eg, 1-3-5 or 1-2-4. It is a habit I got from driving a zen for ages, and works well with my diesel manza also.

These service guys always do the wrong thing since they are not driving their own car.

One guy made my car jerk up and down by having the hand brakes on and releasing the clutch and pressing the accelerator right in front of me. I pulled him out of the car and called the service manager and gave him a piece of my mind.

The reason he said was that he was testing the focusing distance of the head lights under load. God knows what they do when we leave the vehicle for service.[frustration]

On most occasions, cars can move in second gear from stand still. But it is not recommended.

I always start from the first gear and while moving skip gears while accelerating according to the speed, eg, 1-3-5 or 1-2-4. It is a habit I got from driving a zen for ages, and works well with my diesel manza also.

These service guys always do the wrong thing since they are not driving their own car.

One guy made my car jerk up and down by having the hand brakes on and releasing the clutch and pressing the accelerator right in front of me. I pulled him out of the car and called the service manager and gave him a piece of my mind.

The reason he said was that he was testing the focusing distance of the head lights under load. God knows what they do when we leave the vehicle for service.[frustration]
You are absolutely right. my house is very near a MASS Popular... so i can see them TD cars after service. rash driving and jumping over speed breakers are common, a side road is not yet tarred but full of stones paved uneven, they storm through the road, so i think i may write a letter to MUL (anonymously of course) stating that they should teach the service persons how to drive atleast.

just one week after my car's delivery the 3m undercoating peeled off in wheel arch so i took the car back, after reapplying they gave the car to two kids for taking it to the area where i was waiting, i clearly saw him using second gear and stalling knocking the engine but because they were kids, i couldn't say anything... my heart skipped a beat seeing that they had to work at this age to earn their living.......
Another incident a car broke its axle on TD, upon inquiring the status whether they replaced the axle free of cost since it was a mistake on their part to friend SA, he simply said that they informed the customer that the axle is faulty and needs to be replaced and charged him....

freakdude.
[surprise]you are lucky i haven't heard any one doing that and haven't meet with accident or as i suggested speed must be below 100

@ Drivetech4 LOL bro you are more experienced in driving than me for sure , i am driving cars for only around 3 years now. But i trust my driving and have confidence in it. I don't drive in neutral while going downhill. Still somehow i don't feel comfortable to change my driving style and use engine braking more often , i am comfortable driving like this. But let's see , i will try this method once and check.

@ Freakdude I have always wondered what will happen if i engage reverse while going at high speed , thanks for sharing this information.

@ Drivetech4 LOL bro you are more experienced in driving than me for sure , i am driving cars for only around 3 years now. But i trust my driving and have confidence in it. I don't drive in neutral while going downhill. Still somehow i don't feel comfortable to change my driving style and use engine braking more often , i am comfortable driving like this. But let's see , i will try this method once and check.

@ Freakdude I have always wondered what will happen if i engage reverse while going at high speed , thanks for sharing this information.
We should never drive in neutral when going downhill as it is too dangerous. Dhaya, i would strongly suggest you to experience the beauty of engine braking in a panic stop situation. Try it out on an empty road at not so high speeds. Cruze at 30-40 in 4th and shift to 3rd. You'll feel engine grunt, higher rmp shoot for a sec and car slowed down instantly. Engine braking is a damn efficient way to reduce speeds.[thumbsup]

freakdude.

And that is where exactly i don't feel comfortable , the car jerking , RPM shooting high even though its just a second or more. In my driving style the car never jerks and the engine RPM is kept in check , and so overall i feel passengers will have a pleasant journey in my driving style. Though i agree in panic braking engine braking will come in handy. But our basic instinct atleast mine is to use both the clutch and brake simultaneously in a panic situation.

And that is where exactly i don't feel comfortable , the car jerking , RPM shooting high even though its just a second or more. In my driving style the car never jerks and the engine RPM is kept in check , and so overall i feel passengers will have a pleasant journey in my driving style. Though i agree in panic braking engine braking will come in handy. But our basic instinct atleast mine is to use both the clutch and brake simultaneously in a panic situation.
finally someone said like normal human way .

Top Bottom