Correct Usage of Clutch While Braking?

K. I understand. I do not have booster break but yes power windows. I had faced similar kind of problems [ not able to use power windows when suddenly engine gets switched off while taking u-turn or something in a small lane.

But I did not thought in the way you had thought especially in signals.\

Iam sure in future i will not do that.

Thanks
Hi sethumurugan, your car comes with a booster [:)]

K. I understand. I do not have booster break but yes power windows. I had faced similar kind of problems [ not able to use power windows when suddenly engine gets switched off while taking u-turn or something in a small lane.

But I did not thought in the way you had thought especially in signals.\

Iam sure in future i will not do that.

Thanks
Hi sethumurugan

I was talking about power steering not power windows.

Sorry. Mistake, I wanted to tell about power steering only. it was a mistake while typing. even now I was typing power windows only. then I changed it.

[surprise]Seriously Mr. Varun. That is new to me.

What is about booster breaks. I think I have gone thru the entire manual but I do not remember any term like that related with Booster.

Can you pls explain.
Yes you car comes with a booster.

Just a simple check, turn off your engine, press the brake pedal for 3-4 times then it gets harder, because there is no vacuum circulation from the engine.
Then its a booster ! Post a pic of your car's engine bay in your thread I will locate the booster for you [:)]

Sorry for going OT.

[surprise]Seriously Mr. Varun. That is new to me.

What is about booster breaks. I think I have gone thru the entire manual but I do not remember any term like that related with Booster.
Hi sethumurugan

Again going OT. If booster breaks, you will have a Brake failure

Break is something breaking apart. Brake is stopping something.

Cars have Brakes to stop them while in motion not Breaks.

:sorry: if I sounded like your school teacher.[:)]

dhruvpandit said:
i have doubt about clutch.

suppose, i am driving on a flyover, and i am on the peak of that flyover, now its time to down. is it good to press the clutch and not giving any acc. , car will slide easily from flyover, but is it good for clutch / engine / FE ??
Any suggestions on this style?

Any suggestions on this style?
I personally wouldnt recommend using a clutch to disengage the engine while going down a slope - on a long run wont help clutch life.
plus importantly you need engine braking down a slope so best to stay in a gear, also that gives you much better control and you will be less harsher on the brakes as well.

Worst case rather than depressing the clutch, go to neutral and coast (do not do this unless its absolutely safe, this is more of a worst case thing if you have to do it) - all the above issues like better control, harsher on brakes will still be applicable though it wont harm your clutch atleast. Yes FE will improve. Do this only if its a slow gradual slope where you arent accelerating(due to gravity) like crazy and for lesser speeds to coast, in any case not good for your brakes and control. Generally avoid it if you can though!

Hi sethumurugan

Again going OT. If booster breaks, you will have a Brake failure

Break is something breaking apart. Brake is stopping something.

Cars have Brakes to stop them while in motion not Breaks.

:sorry: if I sounded like your school teacher.[:)]
Definitely Not. I think i have to learn lot about booster breaks. first of all I have to find does my car has it or not.

Thanks for sharing.

I personally wouldnt recommend using a clutch to disengage the engine while going down a slope - on a long run wont help clutch life.
plus importantly you need engine braking down a slope so best to stay in a gear, also that gives you much better control and you will be less harsher on the brakes as well.
+1 to that.

I wouldn't even advice shifting it to neutral. Just easing off the gas should do fine.

The general rule is to use the same gear that you use to climb up an inclination to climb down. For example, if you need to shift to second gear to go up a hill then use second gear to come down that hill.

Last edited:
Hi Sethumurugan,

Here is a simple description of booster brakes in cars. Hope it clarifies you query.

BTW, Cars have brakes not breaks. Brake and break have different meaning ( no offense meant) [:)]

Hi Sethumurugan,

Here is a simple description of booster brakes in cars. Hope it clarifies you query.

BTW, Cars have brakes not breaks. Brake and break have different meaning ( no offense meant) [:)]
HaHa.. Today I felt like you are my school teacher. Just for fun.

Sorry about the mistake in BRAKE. I will recify it in future.

Yes you car comes with a booster.

Just a simple check, turn off your engine, press the brake pedal for 3-4 times then it gets harder, because there is no vacuum circulation from the engine.
Then its a booster ! Post a pic of your car's engine bay in your thread I will locate the booster for you [:)]

Sorry for going OT.
YES Varun, As you have said I tried it gets hard after 2-3 times. So pls let me know the advantages of booster brake.

The Driving instructor told me to always use the clutch before braking and having driven for 15 days like that, I am finding it hard to use the brakes before the clutch. I noticed that the correct way is to brake and downshift and not use the clutch to steer the vehicle at turning, but I always tend to do that as I have been taught so.

In the diesel vehicle, the clutch is hard and not soft like the petrol I used to drive, and it accelerates pretty fast(no engine breaking) if I leave the clutch a little too soon. I have found myself in some sticky situations doing this sometimes. But I have learnt to let the clutch really really slowly so the vehicle doesn't fly away and then press gas when it has the appropriate speed for the 2nd gear(5-10kmph usually).

So, will it affect the clutch in anyway? Apart from the clutch wearing down sooner, do I really need to unlearn this skill and learn brakes before clutch which seems a little harder to do, as there are more chances of stalling, especially as I am a beginner? I don't ride the clutch at all. Just use it more when turning instead of gas pedal

Last edited:

Top Bottom