Car Tyre Sidewall Repair - Is it Safe?

Thread Starter #1
Hi everybody,

two days back I took my car(maruti 800) to Kolar and came back home the same day evening. AC was good enough, touched 100kmph for the first time since I purchased the car, it returned a good mileage too.

The sad part is, somehow I have managed to crack the sidewall of my front left tyre. This crack was not there before that short trip. I dont even remember any stone hitting the tyre at 70+speeds.

I took the car to the nearest punchure shop, he claims he can fix it for Rs.350/- and says that this fix would last longer than the tyre threads.

I am posting a picture of the crack on my car tyre. New tyre costs roughly 2K i guess. Do such repairs last for a long time, or am I buying more worries to drive everyday.

Please advice me guys, I am too scared to experiment with tyres, brakes & of course electricals.

Photo0392[1].jpg
Photo0391[1].jpg

Photo0396[1].jpg
Is it okay to drive with this level of engine oil?

Hi, if your spare tire is good, just swap it no worries.

Oil should be up to the 2nd dot/hole in the dip stick, top up the engine oil.

350Z

Core Team
I took the car to the nearest punchure shop, he claims he can fix it for Rs.350/- and says that this fix would last longer than the tyre threads.
Considering that the crack isn’t deep, it’s alright to repair the tyre and use it as a spare. Otherwise replace the tyre if it doesn't have much tread either.

Is it okay to drive with this level of engine oil?
Please refill the engine oil soon. It’s nearing empty.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Oil level is fine dude. not much less. can easily go for 1K kms.
@ Vibhor, have a look bro it is well b/w both dots.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #5
Hi, if your spare tire is good, just swap it no worries.

Oil should be up to the 2nd dot/hole in the dip stick, top up the engine oil.
Hi Varun,
Problem is the spare tyre has less buttons thickness when compared to all the rest of the four (currently in use) Will there be any major difference if I use 3 almost new type tyres with one half button tyre?

Topping up the oil is an issue, as I dont know what type of oil is currently in the engine [confused] Lets say the oil in use is 15W20 and I top it up with 20W20 (just examples those numbers could be wrong) will it cause any issue?

Considering that the crack isn’t deep, it’s alright to repair the tyre and use it as a spare. Otherwise replace the tyre if it doesn't have much tread either.

Please refill the engine oil soon. It’s nearing empty.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks, please suggest any oil brand/ technical specification like the numbers on the oil bottle etc. I will prefer replacing the engine oil with a fresh one in a week's time.

Oil level is fine dude. not much less. can easily go for 1K kms.
@ Vibhor, have a look bro it is well b/w both dots.

freakdude.
Last 3 days I have not used the car, (not even started- low fuel you see) and now I find oil kind of liquid leaking below where I have parked. will post pics by tomorrow.

Thread Starter #6
Hi all,
got the tyre repair done,
Cost:Rs.300/-
He has put 2 patches (one plastic patch on the inside & kind of rubber paste on the outside. The crack was only on the outer side of the wall.

Got a used rim too (Rs.500/-), as the existing rim had a big crack! Now I am using that wheel (with the sidewall repair tyre) for rear & the front wheels have the good ones.

Also painted the rear drum - thanks to DIY section.
Thank you for all your support.

Ss80.

Photo0540.jpg

Photo0541.jpg

Photo0542.jpg

Photo0545.jpg

Hi, I had the exact similar issue on my Alto Tyre. Surprisingly, this happened on the way back from KGF.
My situation was both the left and right Tyres of the back have exact same cracks. One deeper than the other. I have changed both to band new as did not belive the tyre repair shop guys suggestions of Burning the rubber.
I m now wondering, Is KGF rd famous for these Tyre crack issues? or just a near coincidence.
I was told if the crack is not Deep/is Tube is not visible, there is not going to be a major issue. Not sure how true is this.

Thread Starter #9
Well, I am new to cars and so also to tyre repairs. I will surely update here if this Sidewall repair poses any problem to me anytime in future. I think its a co-incidence, but will have to drive with more attention on this road.

such patches do not last too long especially if your running is high, whatever you do - do not drive fast, keep your speed in control when using this tyre, you are only delaying the inevitable, the tyre will need replacing..

I agree with Iron. Any Tyre with a crack that Big (as in the Pic) is like a ticking time bomb. Please be very careful on high speeds and turns and rough rds. Ensure your backup Tyre is ready all the time.

Thread Starter #12
The crack is only on the outer wall, inside the tyre it is normal. Still will ensure speeds are low & the stepney is in good condition. The patch is much bigger than the crack, however safety first, so will be much careful & replace it when budget permits.

Thanks for all your advice, this is what makes TAI a special place.

350Z

Core Team
The sad part is, somehow I have managed to crack the sidewall of my front left tyre. This crack was not there before that short trip. I dont even remember any stone hitting the tyre at 70+speeds.
Today, noticed that my 800’s rear tyre also has an exactly same crack. I’m swapping it with the spare wheel now. I have to replace the tyres soon anyways.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
Its been a few months since I am using the patched tyres & till date no issues with it. However I too will replace the tyre as soon as possible.

350Z: Any guess why your car tyre got the crack? I believe your car usage is more regular & hence the tyres wont get hardened etc that easily right.

350Z

Core Team
350Z: Any guess why your car tyre got the crack? I believe your car usage is more regular & hence the tyres wont get hardened etc that easily right.
No idea. Although I am guessing that it might have happened when I had driven her on literally no roads sometime back.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom