Are Indian Auto Brands Considered Cheap & Downmarket?

Everyone in this tread have come with great points, the core reason, AN ENTHUSIAST WILL ALWAYS FINDS WEIRD THINGS INTERESTING, and Raj your friend wasn't an enthusiast, but just goes with 'herd mentality'

This phrase 'herd mentality' and 'Common way of thinking' contributes to the topic.
Even my friend who is a die-hard fan of Innova tells, whose going to buy a Scorpio when you have Innova, and to bully him, i always say Innova is nothing in front of Scorpio.

Many of the family members have also said that Tatas aren't good for private use as their engines are not built to last, but till today i love Tata for the comfort it has(Indica especially), i hate Maruti for building a light body vehicle to just promote mileage issues.

No. Problem is variety of products.
Eg. Me being lover of sedan will never step into M & M showroom coz they don't have any sedan (Verito is box on 4 wheels, not sedan);
Tata is again good for UVs. In sedan, there is just option - Manza.
So, again no Tata for me.

Now what shall I do ?? No matter how much I love Indian cos, if they don't have products which I want, what's the use ??

Just look at IT cos. We have Infy, TCS, Wipro etc. but still buy Windows OS. Why ? Because there is no option.
But if they give one at good price, one can surely buy one....just like we booked XUVs.
BTW, we also bought XUV so as to encourage Indian manufacturers, other option was Storme had it been launched.

It is only if start buying, Indian cos will be encouraged to produce better. What say ??

Last edited:
In a layman's view Yes, the people do think that the Tata's are better at trucks only, Mahindra's have been successful in changing the view of some of these. Although, these people forget that both of these Indian companies have been developing their cars (independently) only since past 15-20 years atmost. In this price conscious market they have to develop their vehicles on their own (building a vehicle from scratch needs a big investment! which only a very well established company would dare to!) keeping the price low and thus compromise in the quality. Another factor is the infrastructure and facilities, available by the government, if one sees at Japenese companies they have been supported by favouring Laws and Regulations for the Automotive sector by the government. The duties imposed here by the govt. and others also add to the increased development cost of the vehicle, resulting in a compromised product vice-versa with the firangi companies. I could write a whole day, but no one has asked me and I have gone OT, sorry for that.

Some of the persons are having a Brand-Sickness phobia and thus either they are too friendly or against without any legal points.

We indians are for names and new designs. In the whole world we have hundreds of manufacturer Mercedes, Bmw, Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc with hundreds of models being introduced in india everyday, customers getting choice of thousand of new products everyday, whereas there is only two the tatas, mahindras etc as indian product. customers do gets bored with only two and their very less number of products, whereas the foreigners have a lot to offer new daily, quite easily we choose them and reject our national products and refuse to take pride into our originals. We need more indian manufacturer with more product offerings to compete with the world.

There are many people in my society and in friends circle, who loathes the Indian brands, and they are never willing to accept the facts of things, basically these are types of people who believes only in "BRANDS" and you can see them cribbing about the brands, and to spot these people its very easy, just see the person who loves iphone, these types are always behind brands and very biased over the product.

My close friend who has the above symptoms for no matter loves Innova, which is typically a toyota product, so in his budget of 5 lakhs he tells he will buy only an Etios. No offence to owners, but i always criticize of the poor tin can metals it uses, he gets angry in the situation and then starts arguing, denying the negatives of the brand.

So what i meant by saying the above lines are that people who go by brands and thinks Indian Auto brands are the people who does not posses interest in life nor they are ready to adjust in life.

And a serious suggestion to you members, please don't go take suggestions from them or suggest them, because if they go by your decision they will always have the reason to blame.

Mahindra and Tata isn't that cheap because they offer something which an user will have an option to select and it all depends upon individual tastes and preferences.

For Eg, our Appu's thread on Vista is wonderful and he's enjoying the ownership to fullest extent, also the scorpio and Safari owners in the forum has given good reviews and they do enjoy because the product has satisfied with them.

Just look at IT cos. We have Infy, TCS, Wipro etc. but still buy Windows OS. Why ? ??
But there are many banking products in which Infy and TCS mastered and Finnacle is one of those. ICICI started using it then almost most of the banks in India.

Wipro is doing great in many health care software.

Everyone in this tread have come with great points, the core reason, AN ENTHUSIAST WILL ALWAYS FINDS WEIRD THINGS INTERESTING, and Raj your friend wasn't an enthusiast, but just goes with 'herd mentality'

This phrase 'herd mentality' and 'Common way of thinking' contributes to the topic.
Even my friend who is a die-hard fan of Innova tells, whose going to buy a Scorpio when you have Innova, and to bully him, i always say Innova is nothing in front of Scorpio.

Many of the family members have also said that Tatas aren't good for private use as their engines are not built to last, but till today i love Tata for the comfort it has(Indica especially), i hate Maruti for building a light body vehicle to just promote mileage issues.
+1000. I love Indica too and have been driving it for the past 5 years. Now after seeing the cheap quality Zest (please get an image of high quality engineering and european quality interiors) from TaMo, have a second thought of upgrading for it.

Another two years of time ahead, this cheap Indian brand will for sure change in the minds of Tata-hating (read Indian brand hating) Indians with almost good products to be launched from TaMo.

We indians are for names and new designs. In the whole world we have hundreds of manufacturer Mercedes, Bmw, Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc with hundreds of models being introduced in india everyday, customers getting choice of thousand of new products everyday, whereas there is only two the tatas, mahindras etc as indian product. customers do gets bored with only two and their very less number of products, whereas the foreigners have a lot to offer new daily, quite easily we choose them and reject our national products and refuse to take pride into our originals. We need more indian manufacturer with more product offerings to compete with the world.
Tata Motors shook the entire world when it purchased ultra-luxury sports car maker Jaguar and luxur-SUV maker LandRover. All these years Tata Motors was pretty busy to get a grip on these luxury brands and 5 years down the line, it is successful in that. Now that talent is fully being utilised in our home products like Zest and Bolt and there are for sure more to come like Nexon, Kite (codeNamed). Hence no new products from TaMo all these years. Patience will surely pay for success. And all these 5 years TaMo has invested almost a couple-thousand crores of INR to make their engineering and manufacturing plants to the world-class level. And the zest speaks that language clearly. Hence we can see a clear competetion from now on and a run for japs and kors. Its a good market competetion now.

More the competetion, higher the quality, lesser the price for the customers like us.

Last edited:
Hi,
Luxury carmakers in India are moving downmarket and shifting production of smaller and cheaper cars to local plants to cut costs, broadening their target market to include the young, female and middle-class drivers to boost lacklustre performance.

The title itself explains what i mean to ask. By indian brands, i mean to ask about Mahindra & Tata. Maruti is not considered as almost all its cars are japanese!

This incident happened to me yesterday. I picked up one of my friend in my scorpio & we parked our car in the underground parking of a commercial building. The parking had about 10-12 cars & around 6-8 of them were base model scorpios. the following conversation happened between me & my friend, rohit-

He he he [lol] ...i can only say that he is an illeterate - auto illeterate. Refrain from talking such Japs biased mindset guys. You will go mad. He is still living in the old-stone age. Cmon dude ask him to grow up. Whatever such fellas say, India runs on Tatas and Mahindras. We are proud of our own brands and cars [glasses]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom