Are Indian Auto Brands Considered Cheap & Downmarket?

Yeah it seems like Raj here is a very patient guy! Am pretty short-tempered i surely would have had a heated arguement with him that time though but will not refuse to drop him and still maintain a good relation with him.

Oh well but i don have any friends like that. We all in general love cars and don separate them on the basis of the manufacturers! If its a good car we appreciate it.

Oh well but i don have any friends like that. We all in general love cars and don separate them on the basis of the manufacturers! If its a good car we appreciate it.
I have several idiots as acquaintances (not really friends) who are noobs at autos.

Whenever they say something wrong and I contradict them, they argue in then most childish manner and I get so pissed off, that now whenever someone talks about autos, I just keep my mouth shut and behave like I'm listening to them with full attention, and later laugh behind their backs.

350Z

Core Team
Note: A few off-topic posts have been removed. Please stick to the original theme of topic.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #38
Its not about sharing a different opinion, he insulted the very set of wheels he used to travel in everyday.
Thats offensive(to me, atleast).
:agree:
+1 to that. He must at least have kept in mind that he might hurt the sentiments of a Scorpio owner.
I dont take it as an insult at all. his comments hardly bothered me! i am happy with my car & even if the rest of the world feels that scorpio is crap, i dont really care. basically, i am happy! that in no ways mean that i dont love my car. point is i dont really need to prove my love by making others love it.

i wont call these people "ignorant". i would say they think differently or rather share different opinions.

I agree to some extent. But there are ways in which one can voice their opinion(s) in such a (polite and considerate) fashion such that they do not sound like they are targeting a person/hurting his sentiments.

Anyway,I don't think Raj minds what his friend said.
no, i dint mind. because the way i openly say i dislike most of the jap cars, even he can say whatever he likes. its his choice after all.

Yeah it seems like Raj here is a very patient guy! Am pretty short-tempered i surely would have had a heated arguement with him that time though but will not refuse to drop him and still maintain a good relation with him.
well, thanks! [:)]

ford vehicles are one of the worst i have seen . even though built quality is alright its engine , design and chasis construction somehow remains strained and dont takes up the abuses. yes they fail easily.
compared to ford mahindra vehicles are built forever.

yet i swear mahindra could not deliver cars which could pull through premium range.

somebody mentioned scorpio is suv - precisely i agree with him on papers. maybe he thinks great pickup and speed is all that for sports badge.over all perfomance leave much to be desired especially in field of handelling brakes and sportiveness.
hope i can compare it to toyota prado basic version . if one have driven prado then he will understand where exactly mahindra is.

one my friend who is hardcore petrol head could keep his beloved scorpio for 5 months only ,he sold it off not due to any technical issue but he mentions"it lacks that punch related to looks" then he went for skoda and now eyeing on toyota fortuner.
he did mentioned a.s.s of mahindra is very much responsive and treated him like v.vip's (great work mahindra) but he is real fan of tata again there is no car in his list from tata stable. we indian have to rely on japanese.
-----------Next Post-----------
I have several idiots as acquaintances (not really friends) who are noobs at autos.

Whenever they say something wrong and I contradict them, they argue in then most childish manner and I get so pissed off, that now whenever someone talks about autos, I just keep my mouth shut and behave like I'm listening to them with full attention, and later laugh behind their backs.
that is a common gripe. me too face it everywhere.

earlier (4-5years ago) people i knew would go gaga over strength and reliability of ambassador simultaneously criticizing maruthi. i would contradict them with all my wits.
now same personnel says ambassador is piece of metal and maruthi is everything.
those amby lovers are running for swift.
now i contradict them saying swift is least good one compared to rest of cars in present scenario and i see them frown.
i tell them that good cars start from fiat ,skoda,toyota,honda. they laugh at me saying that "we dont need fast car in india."
and finally came hyundai i20.they say it is fuel efficient- i wonder why?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
yet i swear mahindra could not deliver cars which could pull through premium range.

somebody mentioned scorpio is suv - precisely i agree with him on papers. maybe he thinks great pickup and speed is all that for sports badge.
So what would you call a luxury jeep with high GC & 4x4???

over all perfomance leave much to be desired especially in field of handelling brakes and sportiveness.
hope i can compare it to toyota prado basic version . if one have driven prado then he will understand where exactly mahindra is.
LOL!

are you seriously comparing the 10 lakh scorpio to a 40 lakh prado? great! I have driven the Merc E class & bro, your punto is not a great car! There is a tremendous scope for improvement.

one my friend who is hardcore petrol head could keep his beloved scorpio for 5 months only ,he sold it off not due to any technical issue but he mentions"it lacks that punch related to looks" then he went for skoda and now eyeing on toyota fortuner.
He sold it because he was a petrol head, he should have been a diesel head! [:)]

I dont understand that when he had the budget of a fortuner, why even bother buying a scorpio?

Be Indian, buy Indian..?

“Be Indian Buy Indian” is a famous quote once said by our father of the nation. But does this statement hold true in today’s globalized world where every day technology changes and customers always look to have the best product for a reasonable price? Why am I talking about a 5 decade old statement? Gandhiji did not just think of a free India, he also wanted Indians to buy Indian products. This would directly help lot of Indian companies to grow, thus in turn helping India grow as a nation. I guess this was the logic he believed in and hence made such a statement. So, it’s fair to say he could have been a good economist.

Are we really as patriotic as Mr. Gandhiji was? My answer is a big NO. Let me explain why we are always good at criticizing our own people. Alright let’s focus our attention on one my favourite industries which is the automobile sector, which the government once termed as a sunshine sector. I heard a lot of opinions about the Tata Nano. Most of them are all negative. People say it’s too slow without even driving it, they say it’s not safe even without owning or trying to understand the wonderful technical specification that Nano comes loaded with. However, when Honda or Volkswagen launch their new products the same people without driving or owning the car have good things to say about it. They try to justify their opinion by saying that since it’s a Honda or a Volkswagen, it will be solidly engineered.

There is nothing wrong with people buying cars from foreign manufacturers over the Indian ones, but what is appalling is the way Indians treat our own manufacturers. If you do not like an Indian product you may choose nearest foreign competition , but please refrain from criticizing it without even trying it. Instead of appreciating the engineers who gave us a revolutionary product in the name of Nano, we discourage them. Is that the attitude we need to have towards the engineers who belong to our own country, who tried to make a satisfactory city car which millions of people can afford? The hard work and dedication of these engineers put India on the world map. The whole world hails this achievement but we just bluntly criticize it. When a team of Indian engineers try hard to give mobility to millions of Indians, we complain. Isn’t that a time to feel proud of being Indian?

Bajaj and TVS have given the Japanese manufacturers a run for their money not only in India but also in foreign markets. Just a few days back I came across an article in the Times of India which stated that Bajaj is the market leader in Columbia where it has surpassed its big Japanese and Chinese counterparts. Columbia has a lot of Pulsar clubs and they just adore our Indian born Pulsar. Isn’t that something to feel proud about? We act like we still have the “British Hangover” from the pre independence era. I really hope that at some point our countrymen will start appreciating Indian products – made by Indians for Indians.

I know some of you might have different view points..do share them and start a dialogue..

Re: Be Indian, bye Indian..?

I think any individual have every right to buy what he wants and say what he wants. But I totally second you in saying that unless and until you have first hand experience with things, please don't go on criticizing on the company' past records. Every one is trying to improve day by day. You failed yesterday that doesnot means you can't pass today. That's what I want to say. [:)].

Re: Be Indian, buy Indian..?

Very true Visran. We always have had a craze for foreign product. There are many examples. To most of the Indians, foreign product is associated with status symbol. And this thing is tapped to its max by the foreign brands, not limited to cars only.
But at the same time, presence of foreign brands have awakened the Indian ones from there sleep and made them pull there socks. Because of presence of foreign brands, customers have got king size status. And if one is getting better for less, why not go for it? Though Swadeshi is good concept, doesn't work all the times.
In auto field, yes, Tata, Mahindra and Bajaj have gone global with their technology developed in India. And most of us are unaware of it. We just missed to appreciate the kind of effort which has gone to make world's smallest/ cheapest car. At this position it wont be the best or safest one. But look at what it delivers and at what price! Most of us complain about some brands, without even stepping into one. I too believed into such rumours. But my recent buy has made me think. A personal opinion should solely be based on personal experience and not what others say.
And what you said about Colombia (not Columbia) has been seen by me. Pulsar 180 is considered to be one of the premium bikes in Colombia. Its price is equivalent to around Rs 150000. And its ahead of Honda, Kymco, KTM, Yamaha, etc. In short, it has surpassed sales and popularity of other Korean and Chinese brand. And not only Pulsar 180, the economy bikes from Bajaj's stable are selling well too. Number of Pulsar fan clubs clearly indicates its popularity. I wish the market grows out well to neighbouring countries as well.

Re: Be Indian, buy Indian..?

+1 Virsan,

For bringing upfront the the greatest ever topic.

Few days back i have watch the episode MEGA FACTORIES on National Geographic. It has everything about the TATA Nnano and i am proud of being an Indian to see Indian product being appraised in the world.

Top Bottom