Analysis: Own a Mercedes Benz for Only Rs.5 Lakhs!

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Owning a Mercedes Benz has always been a dream of many, but in those early days, only a few were able to afford one, and rest just remained envy. However, as I usually say, times have now changed to a significant extent, and therefore, also brought a big everlasting evolution in the automotive sector of India. As a result, today, if you have only Rs.5 Lakhs in pocket, It is quite very much possible that you could easily become a proud owner of car with the Three Pointed Star logo. Although, here we are going to talk about a Pre-owned model, But then what? After all a Mercedes is a Mercedes. :smile: Let’s read on to learn more.

- How’s that Possible?
Not A-Class, B-Class or C-Class, You could directly take a leap on a Pre-owned E-Class with Rs.5 Lakhs budget. Here’s how and why – Initially, when Mercedes Benz entered in Indian market and launched very first model, The E-Class (W124 Series), It certainly was considered as a rich-man’s car, but a way too much over-pricey tag and dated design didn’t successfully pleased potential buyers to throw their money over it. Thanks to such unhealthy market response, the company decided to pull back sales of W124 and thereafter within a couple of years, released an upgraded model with much better looks and features, namely W210 series.

Now, this move in turn substantially affected re-sale value of W124 which, Today, could not get any worse for a rather new Mercedes. However, Does such a poor re-sale value for a Mercedes translate that it was not a capable model? Answer is No. In fact, the saying “Last real Mercedes-Benz Ever Manufactured” for W124 is popular even today, which can not be true anymore, since owners hardly reported any major complains and instead find it to be the most suitable vehicle to work on Indian road conditions by offering an absolute luxury. At this point, if this article has generated a little interest in you for Mercedes W124, Move onto the next part to find out how dearer a Merc costs to maintain.

- What About Spares and Upkeep Costs?
Built like a tank to serve till last, there is no question when it comes about the reliability of an E-Class. No wonder why this specific model is also used for taxi-purposes in western regions of the world, W124 owners have, however, never reported any major issues with their car, but with an increasing age, maintenance and replacement of certain parts becomes necessary. Even though, An E which you purchase may come at lower price than of a Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire, but maintenance and repairing costs don’t sing the same saga. Some Mechanical parts / Spare parts can actually burn a deep hole in your pocket. As an example, regular service of the model in question can reach from anywhere to Rs.10,000 – 15,000, where as the typical maintenance servicing costs touches minimum Rs.25,000 mark. In fact, parts such as Brake pads which ask for a change after every 20,000 Kilometers cycle, cost approximately Rs.5,000. Even more so, if the car requires a suspension overhaul, it’ll easily set you back by Rs.90,000, where as if first owner still didn’t replaced continental tires after 50,000 Kilometers on odometer, be ready to shell out another Rs.16,000 for four. That is why; it is required to be extremely cautious while on a look out for Pre-owned W124, or any other Mercedes Benz for that matter.

If you are living in a Metro city such as New Delhi or Mumbai, finding spare parts may not be as big issue as managing their costs. Due to steep pricing of spares, some owners opt to go with unoriginal parts, which lead to frequent workshop visits or could turn into a major issue later on. To make the point even more clear, Spare parts such as head lamps and tail lamps are priced Rs.24,000 and Rs.12,600 respectively, whereas an outside rear view mirror alone is enough to leave a shock of Rs.18,000.

The older is better – This very rules applies with W124s, because models with high-mileage (60,000 Kms – 70,000 Kms) on odometer should not at all be a cause of worry, but then it also does not means to pay penny or two more for a low-mileage factor since such examples would have spent more or less time in stand still, and can typically either have a tampered odometer, some jammed mechanicals or most likely, an house of rats and spiders to say the least. While on a look out for a second hand E-class, it is must-must to make sure that car did not faced any major accidents, or wasn’t used to perform any illegal activity. Read out the next part to learn tips on how to search one good example.

- So, How Do I Search One For Myself?
A Mercedes Benz does not only add another star to your status but also promises miles of happy travel. First of all, these days it may not be so easy to find a second hand Mercedes Benz E-Class of ‘90s, that too in a mint condition, but fortunately if you chance upon one, be prepared for a hectic task to get the car and its history thoroughly checked and verified, Being ignorant in this area could end making all your Mercedes Benz experience spoil at just a flick.

Thus, we recommend authorized Pre-owned Mercedes Benz dealerships such as AutoHangar, Even though you may have to pay a premium but it eventually pays off later. Otherwise, a model owned by genuine first-hand individual who can provide complete history of car does not sounds a bad idea either, but again, unluckily such cases are hard to find.

- Which Other Options Do I Have?
In spite of being older, E-Class W124 is always preferred over New W210 because of less electrical and more mechanicals which results in a less fuss and problems, but still, next to the W124, W210 is the one to go with which carries better design, and finish. Apart from the Mercedes family, other pre-owned luxury car options in similar budget, include Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord and more. Refer to following link for other similar ‘status’ cars under Rs.10 Lakhs. (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...boost-your-status.html?highlight=boost+status)

- Should I Purchase One?
The answer to this question nobody knows better than you, yourself! What’s sure is that wherever a Mercedes Benz goes, it definitely makes the heads turn and creates a statement of its own. No matter how old it may be. Exclusivity is always guaranteed with the three pointed star, then be it your personal garage to make Mr. Sharma envy on the next door, or your office’s parking lot. However, always do keep in mind about the maintenance costs which could prove to be a bomb sometimes, but if you are financially fit to bear it, A Pre-Owned Mercedes Benz, Especially E-Class W124 makes worth the money because after all, it is a terrific piece of art and not just a car. I hope that this article helps you making that decision right, Wishing all the good luck for your hunt!

Important Facts About Mercedes Benz E-Class W124 Series:

• Mercedes Benz W124 series was available in both, Petrol as well as Diesel.

• The Price of E220 Petrol was approx. Rs.22 Lakhs where as the E250 Diesel came at a little over Rs.23 Lakhs.

• Petrol and Diesel Engines have total displacement of 2199cc and 2497cc respectively.

• Expect Petrol variant to deliver mileage of 7 Kpl in City and 11 Kpl on Highways.

• Diesel returns slightly more than Petrol, that is 9 Kpl in city and 13-14 Kpl on highways.

• Altogether, E250 Diesel is ace of the pack.

• Interiors may feel dated, but are truly solid and comfortable. A decent dry-cleaning job would be enough spruce ‘em up.

• Thoroughly check for any leakage, wear and tear from mechanical parts or underbody rusting.

• It is always better to play on safer side and go with the one with decent service record. Any Mercs serviced outside are best avoided.

• Second Hand W124 range starts from dirt cheap price at anywhere Rs.4.5 Lakhs and goes up to Rs.6 Lakhs, where as the W210 sells a little more than that depending upon condition and other aspects, or if you are willing to shell out more for an E, the model which was recently discontinued from the market can be yours, starting at Rs.15+ Lakhs.
Mercedes Benz W124 Front.
mercedes_e500-w124-1993-95_r7.jpg

Mercedes Benz W124 Rear.
343_1990_mercedes_benz_e500_w124_2.jpg

Now that's the length of a W124! Big enough to make yourself feel proud.
345_1990_mercedes_benz_e500_w124_4.jpg

Interiors of Mercedes Benz W124.
f_sm_29c287d.jpg

You know that you are in lap of luxury and safety with three pointed star. But hey, wait! this logo costs over Rs.1,000 after all.
DSC_2723_mod.jpg

This twin rounded headlamp model is the New W210.
W210.jpg

Fleet of all generation Mercedes Benz E-Class together. :smile:
mercedes-e-class_2.jpg
(C) 2010. The Automotive India. All rights reserved. This article can not be reproduced in any form without written permission of our authority. Disclaimer: Pictures Source: Google Images.

Excellent writeup man. But would it be wise to take chance with a diesel heart with 50-60k on odo and a car of 90s?
To me E-Class (W124 Series) looks too dated. However if one needs to have Star for oneself at an affordable cost, W210 is the car for them.
If you ask me, i would buy a new B segment rather than this hungry beauty.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Excellent writeup man. But would it be wise to take chance with a diesel heart with 50-60k on odo and a car of 90s?
That’s what the Mercs are popularly known for – Reliability and trouble free experience, especially the less fuzzy W124. :smile:

To me E-Class (W124 Series) looks too dated. However if one needs to have Star for oneself at an affordable cost, W210 is the car for them. If you ask me, i would buy a new B segment rather than this hungry beauty.
Even I too was never a big fan of the looks of W124, and always liked W210 over but from sometime now; W124 has also made a space in my heart for itself. I can dream of one with Black Paint, cool alloys, and all-new leather interiors, how chic it would look!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Many online ads have listed like them , yeah its almost 5 to 6 lakh.

But many fear about the running cost and servicing cost . Are Benz dealer ready to service them today for their old cars.

I know a couple of benz in chennai itself for sale at this price.
its kinda Benz E and civic (4 to 5 years) old at same price

deville_56

Honoured Member
2-3 yrs back we were looking for a secondhand hatchback for my frnd and we spotted BMW 3-series 318i 3 door auto at a wokrshop for sale. Asking price was 3.25 lakhs. Deal was tempting, inquired the owner reason to sell. Rocket priced spared and very difficult to source. I was bright red 1996 model imported around 2003 from Nigeria.

Good write-up 350Z but a more used car means more damage due to wear and tear which the next buyer will have to bear right?

But i agree with you there is no better car than the three-pointed logo cars to boost your status , plus we must be ready to bear the huge maintenance costs!

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
If you ask me, i would buy a new B segment rather than this hungry beauty.
Yes it’s quite certain that person who decides to buy such Merc will be more inclined towards its royalty and image (which a hatchback can not dream about) rather than car’s newness. But you have raised a very good point here about Hatch v/s Pre-Owned Merc. I’m going to create a Poll on same.

ilango[speed thirst];54002 said:
But many fear about the running cost and servicing cost . Are Benz dealer ready to service them today for their old cars.
Yes, Why not? they are more than happy to do so.

ilango[speed thirst];54002 said:
I know a couple of benz in chennai itself for sale at this price. its kinda Benz E and civic (4 to 5 years) old at same price
Are sure that a decent condition second hand Honda Civics’ price has fallen that much (Rs.5 Lakhs)?

2-3 yrs back we were looking for a secondhand hatchback for my frnd and we spotted BMW 3-series 318i 3 door auto at a wokrshop for sale. Asking price was 3.25 lakhs. Deal was tempting, inquired the owner reason to sell. Rocket priced spared and very difficult to source. I was bright red 1996 model imported around 2003 from Nigeria.
You are right. I have also come across such examples of beautiful exotic car models at dirt cheap price but very sadly, sourcing their spare parts could become a nightmare.

Good write-up 350Z but a more used car means more damage due to wear and tear which the next buyer will have to bear right?
Please refer to my previous post. Regarding mileage, an extremely low-run model, that too for a car which is more than 10 years old, could cause more trouble rather than one which has lived its life normally. (Not absolutely high mileage). A Mercedes is easily capable to cover over six digit mileage figures on its odometer.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@ vibhor
yeah civics are avail at 6 lac.
must have run about 1 to 1.3L kms. But that is not a big deal for a honda engine.

get them and a service for about 50000/- makes it better ! simple isint it

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
ilango[speed thirst];54155 said:
@ vibhor
yeah civics are avail at 6 lac.
must have run about 1 to 1.3L kms. But that is not a big deal for a honda engine.

get them and a service for about 50000/- makes it better ! simple isint it
One Lakh Kilometers translates that car would have completed at least 60% - 70% of its life, and many buyers simply avoid going with such cases, especially with a car like Civic which is quite easily available in used car market, today. I was aware about Rs.6 Lakh tag, but Rs.5 Lakh figure surprised me since its value hasn’t fallen that much down yet.

Drive Safe,
350Z

One Lakh Kilometers translates that car would have completed at least 60% - 70% of its life, and many buyers simply avoid going with such cases, especially with a car like Civic which is quite easily available in used car market, today. I was aware about Rs.6 Lakh tag, but Rs.5 Lakh figure surprised me since its value hasn’t fallen that much down yet.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Our companys Civic too has clocked 1lac+ kms, but is still running smooth. Also i know a guy who is running his Innova happily after clocking 2.5k kms. The thing is modern engines dont really hate being driven so much. If maintained/driven properly, they usually dont face much issue.
However, if you compare a used Civic and A used Merc(Both well maintained), i would rather go for a Merc.

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
Our companys Civic too has clocked 1lac+ kms, but is still running smooth. Also i know a guy who is running his Innova happily after clocking 2.5k kms. The thing is modern engines dont really hate being driven so much. If maintained/driven properly, they usually dont face much issue.
However, if you compare a used Civic and A used Merc(Both well maintained), i would rather go for a Merc.
Yeah, that’s what I said. Generally for cars done above 1 Lakh kilometers mark, they have only a few takers, unless and until the car in question is somewhat special or exclusive, like a Mercedes maybe?

Drive Safe,
350Z

No that is not , many 1L kms crossed car have takers.

Esp for qualis it has run above 5L kms , still running good(over haul at 4L kms) was sold for 4.5L , i hope it was 2003 model and deal was done at 2010 - feb

i know how good is a honda engine. 1L kms for a civic is too low. Not 60 to 70% as you say.

Similarly a benz can run about the same ,

But the point is buying a benz for such low price , need some vit M to service them too.

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
ilango[speed thirst];54163 said:
No that is not , many 1L kms crossed car have takers. Esp for qualis it has run abve 5L kms , still running good(over haul at 4L kms) was sold for 4.5L , i hope it was 2003 model and deal was done at 2010 - feb

i know how good is a honda engine. 1L kms for a civic is too low. Not 60 to 70% as you say. Similarly a benz can run about the same ,
But the point is buying a benz for such low price , need some vit M to service them too.
There of course are some cases, that’s why my post reads ‘few’ not ‘none’. Higher Mileage = More maintenance for car, if not its Engine for that matter. However, Models like W124 and other Mercs or Premium Exotics are some exceptions which buyers actually lust for.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi 350Z ! I have gone through your threads & it clearly shows that you are a big fan of Merc, if so no car will satisfy you other than the Merc itself. Don't worry man, just go for it. When you know what you want, then why go for some other car . Normal servicing outside ASS will cost you around Rs. 10 - 15000. Go for W 210 E 250 D , since it looks upmarket comparing to W 124. E 250 D is naturally aspirated, 5 cylinders, 20 valves, IDI system & since the engine is not complex, maintenance will be cheaper compared to 220 CDI. the life of the engine I have come across are up to 3 to 4 lakhs & still running strong. Spares are not at all a problem. But most important is to check the condition of the car, orelse you have to shell out money in lakhs depending upon the condition. Try to get the car with full service history.Don't hurry up & don't go by the looks of the car , check the car throughly & if satisfyed then only finalise. Any thing else you would like to know ? You are always welcome.

Top Bottom