Americans Do Not Prefer Buying Cars of Indian or Chinese Make

Thread Starter #1
A wave of new Indian and Chinese automobiles are poised to make their debut in the US market in coming months, but a new study has found that most Americans are not open to the idea of buying a car from companies like Tata, Mahindra and BYD.

Market research firm GfK Automotive's Barometer of Automotive Awareness and Imagery Study found that Chinese and Indian auto-makers could face a similar purchase consideration curve to Korean vehicles when they launched in the US.

The majority of American consumers are not open to buying a car from a Chinese or Indian manufacturer. Such auto-makers looking to break into the US market face challenges in brand awareness and acceptance, said the study.

Read here:
Most Americans not open to buying cars from India, China: Study - The Economic Times

Re: Americans not open to buying cars from India, China

It will take more time to create fate and brand awareness for Tata, M&M.
Same with Ford and GM in India. What say?

+1 to Surfer. They need sometime to prove their value. None of the consumers around the world are going to accept new manufacturers with open arms.

90% of TATA cars run as taxies due to their plain design and TATA logo that gives a feeling of truck driving and going for lower brand. Another reason is they come cheap and have low maintenance compared to its rivals, but due to its poor quality and basic/bad design most of the people prefer purchasing non-tata cars.

TATA should first try to make its brand successful in India prior launching its vehicles in foreign market.

Trust me even a Jaguar with TATA logo will not attract Indian customers.

Why would you import a TATA or Mahindra in US when you can geta brand new mustang/Camaro for 22000 American Dollars ( 11-12 lac rupees)

Now that's too unenthusiastic.
Ya, may be unenthusiastic... but the TATA brand has not yet evolved to the current market level and TATA's have not still read customer's minds.

I checked the Aria & Manza models, few things like the bumper quality is very bad.

Why would you import a TATA or Mahindra in US when you can geta brand new mustang/Camaro for 22000 American Dollars ( 11-12 lac rupees)
Exactly.

Also Indian cars even don't have basic features compared with US cars in same price. In US even 1990-2000 models have rich features that are normal there, but incorporated in India just 4-5 years back.

Ya, may be unenthusiastic... but the TATA brand has not yet evolved to the current market level and TATA's have not still read customer's minds.

I checked the Aria & Manza models, few things like the bumper quality is very bad.

Hmmm okay buddy , if bumpers are your point then all TATA cars have much better bumpers and overall build quality is much much better when compared to the Japanese! One hit from a biker and my friend's Swift's rear bumper broke on that spot itself! In another incident a biker crashed into the rear of an Accord at a meagre speed around 20-30kmph and the rear bumper broke again. I saw this happen in front of my eyes , poor Accord owner din't even got down the car thinking it was just a minor crash but he would have been horrified seeing the bumpers after reaching home!

And do you think TATA or Mahindra can't incorporate all the basic features which you mentioned in an Indica or a Verito? Do you think we don't have the technology or we are not capable for doing that? Are you ready to buy an Indica or a Verito if it has all the features from A-Z and costs 15Lakths OTR? Ours is a society which looks at VFM cars and that is why when it comes to India we are robbed off all the comfort and convenience features , not that we are not capable of producing good cars.

Agree TATA are not good enough when compared to the brands there but i am sure they will be getting a much better variant than what we are getting here.

I'm with codename47..
Why should they import an Indian car,when other cars are available..(those american muscles).[:D]

Hmmm okay buddy , if bumpers are your point then all TATA cars have much better bumpers and overall build quality is much much better when compared to the Japanese! One hit from a biker and my friend's Swift's rear bumper broke on that spot itself! In another incident a biker crashed into the rear of an Accord at a meagre speed around 20-30kmph and the rear bumper broke again. I saw this happen in front of my eyes , poor Accord owner din't even got down the car thinking it was just a minor crash but he would have been horrified seeing the bumpers after reaching home!

I'm with Dhaya side,couple of years ago, I smashed a Tvs star city in rear end with my Indica at 60km/hr, but nothing happened to my car, but star city rear wheel damaged totally.

i can vouch for the bumper of an indica which i crashed on to the back of an amby- the rear bumper, the boot lid, the number plate of the amby was smashed and i had to pay the owner but the indica bumper stayed put, there was no damage.[surprise]since there are lots of us there in the us tata will have good clientale. and when america gets poorer the americans won't be able to afford muscle cars and they will go for fuel efficient cheap indian and chinese cars perhaps[lol]

Well it depends at which bumper area the car was hit. I saw a small accident where a bullet hit India Vista car from side (Bumper+Fender), it was a T hit. The bumper totally came off and ripped apart completely from that side.

My point is TATAs bumpers are made of soft material that's why they bear such head-on impacts. Here the finishing is not good, just observe any TATA car from back, you won't find the base lining of any bumper straight, but lil curvy. I've seen in many MANZAs & one ARIA too, while I was driving behind them on road.

And do you think TATA or Mahindra can't incorporate all the basic features which you mentioned in an Indica or a Verito? Do you think we don't have the technology or we are not capable for doing that? Are you ready to buy an Indica or a Verito if it has all the features from A-Z and costs 15Lakths OTR? Ours is a society which looks at VFM cars and that is why when it comes to India we are robbed off all the comfort and convenience features , not that we are not capable of producing good cars.
You misunderstood me, where the hell I mentioned that in India we don't have that capability? There is a difference in being capable and implementing that in same budget... read my comments again. Well you answered yourself and I too agree with your comments [:)].

I was talking about the difference in pricing of features in India & US market. Let me put it this way: You get good and more features with low price in US than in India. For ex. the Honda Civic new & top model EX-L variant is just priced at USD 24k (INR ~11 Lacs). Here Civic top model is priced at ~15 Lacs, with less features.

In US auto market they have certain standards that they fit in a car, like: air bags, both side rear mirrors, etc & many more. Here you see only driver side mirror in base version, forget about air-bags. Yes indeed they comes costly in India, but in sake of cheap cars they provide us low standard cars, and make huge profit.

Agree TATA are not good enough when compared to the brands there but i am sure they will be getting a much better variant than what we are getting here.
I too agree... like the new ARIA & new acquisitions I'm looking forward to get more from TATA in near future.

Stay on track guys, this thread is more about American automobile habits!

Well I believe give it sometime, Americans had a big issue with cars from Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Kia during earlier days. With their economy dwindling and unemployment rising, they will move out of their *big* comfort zones to pick cars which are more value for money and less show-off of masochism. Sales of trucks in US is dwindling year on year, people are preferring compact cars.

IMO, the reverse cycle has been initiated and the days are not that far when west will try to ape east, where the power will lie [:)]

350Z

Core Team

Brand value and quality are the prime mantra if Indian car makers want to successfully work in foreign markets like that of USA. There are many advanced features which foreign markets get and we still do not despite of being them from an Indian maker but unless a certain amount of trust has been formed, not much can be accomplished. Don’t we ever feel why people in India itself sometimes think twice before going for a Chinese product, especially if it’s something big as car? There’s the catch. Because our mindset has set up such that all Chinese goods are of cheap quality and do not last long. That’s similarly what other mature market have impression about our products too. The bottom line is to change that impression by offering something truly value for money that meets up to their expectations.

They are more of a weekend fun cars or for individuals / couples. Not everyone has a demand / requirement to own a sports car which can seat only two.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom