Low Mileage Problems in Maruti 800

Thread Starter #16
Thanks for your concern.
I visited the MASS today to get my Car stereo back in normal condition, but tey insisted in keeping it till Monday(Sunday closed) so that their electrical guy can check the wiring.
I refused and have brought the car home(cannot trust their flimsy service)

I will probably go to another MASS & get these problems rectified. Car battery is in semi-charged condition.
Only precaution I am taking now is to disconnect the battery lead when car is parked.

You go to a different MASS, you will have to pay for the repair.
May be a better idea to stick with these guys and stand or their heads to get it done right.
They are on the defensive anyways now, I guess.

Yes maybe this time you have to stick with them to get your repairs done for free! After this the next time you can go to a different MASS!!

If everything is fine then your car must return 17kmpl with ac with mixed driving condition ELSE your driving is fault is no fault in car.

If it gives low as 10kmpl , there is sure fault in car. Check is with help of experianced mechanic.

Remember a car giving too low or too high in normal condition is said to have fault.

Remember a car giving too low or too high in normal condition is said to have fault.
well not necessary ilango... some cars which return high mileage than normal at marathons etc doesn't mean to have fault in their engines!!:lol!:

Thread Starter #22
Thank You for your informative replies.I went to the same MASS and got the music system problem resolved.I had a hard time explaining them to put the music system on ACC.(acessories) part of the key so that it is totally off when key is removed.They did agree but after a lot of reasoning and put the blame on the baterry and the music system maker.
Anyways, as far as the milage part is concerned, one of them recommended reboring of the engine and changing of piston rings to increase the average.
I wanted a second opinion to get the reboring done.I have two observations which might be of assistance:
1. My engine gives very good pickup(as anyone who has used the car says) and,
2. Only when slowing down gradually i.e for e.g if I come down from say 40kmph to say 20/15kmph without applying brakes, just by easing my foot off the accelerator while still in 3rd gear ,do I get a smell of petrol in the cabin.

Any opinions would be useful.

lol what re boring ? Re boring is done to increase the engines displacement i.e the CC which actually needs bigger pistons later & the mileage goes down.

Was this advised by the same MASS ? If yes then please go to some other Service Center.

Check your "Choke" i hope its not pulled or maybe it doest look like pulled & the cable has been damaged which leads to pulled choke. (this might be a reason to petrol smell)

If you plan to keep the car for long time - get the engine flushed & piston rings changed.Both these jobs don't cost much,it will be the labor for rings changing which will cost more than the rings itself. So if possible get it done from a reputed mechanic.

Last edited:
lol what re boring ? Re boring is done to increase the engines displacement i.e the CC which actually needs bigger pistons later & the mileage goes down.

Was this advised by the same MASS ? If yes then please go to some other Service Center.

Check your "Choke" i hope its not pulled or maybe it doest look like pulled & the cable has been damaged which leads to pulled choke. (this might be a reason to petrol smell)

If you plan to keep the car for long time - get the engine flushed & piston rings changed.Both these jobs don't cost much,it will be the labor for rings changing which will cost more than the rings itself. So if possible get it done from a reputed mechanic.

A point here , reboreing may be used to increase the engine displacement!
Its used to correct the fault in bore.

Now a days the sleeve and piston are bought as set and set alright.

In older days rebore was done ans upsize piston was fixed , which is not practised now , not even for amby's

ilango[speed thirst];25173 said:
A point here , reboreing may be used to increase the engine displacement!
Its used to correct the fault in bore.

Now a days the sleeve and piston are bought as set and set alright.

In older days rebore was done ans upsize piston was fixed , which is not practised now , not even for amby's
But in that case it should be called as re sleeving the block.

The block wears in outwards direction.(diameter increases) So re boring it to correct the bore is useless as it is not going to reduce the sleeves diameter.

Moreover i really haven't heard of a Maruti 800 or any other car needing a engine re sleeve so early. I mean come on even the rings last for more than 1 lakh kms no matter how hard you drive the car.

Re sleeving costs a lot,don't know the exact figures though & again haven't heard of the sleeves & rings beings changed together as a set. The sleeves are built to last really really long.

Yeah any car is designed to with stand near 2.5L kms , Skodas can do a 4.5L kms

Reboar , fixing new sleeves and piston may approx cost over 30,000/-

As the engine remove and fix labor is 4000 to 5000 , reboreing labor is 6000/-

Apart from this part cost.

Thread Starter #28
My gratitude to Neil and ilango for expressing their concern regarding my problem.[:)]

After reading the costs and the futility of the reboring job,I will definitely stay away from this MASS. This thread has been an eye opener for a newbie like me.

Just a modest opinion from me for the smell of petrol in the cabin was if it was the result of a faulty carburettor?

A fault starting from the petrol tank till the engine part cause petrol smell.

chances of worn out rubber tubes too cause petrol leak/smell and inturn reduce your milage.

check the float and needle and gasket of your carburattor . Even check the gasket of head.

Carburrator gasket cost 40/-
Head gasket cost 110/-

Top Bottom