Low Mileage Problems in Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
I'm getting a very low milage from my Maruti800(Type1 1994).

Initially i was getting about 12kmpl but lately it has gone down to 6kmpl. i just had an oil change done and carbeurator cleaned but mileage problem persists.

I visited MASS & got the Engine, Carb tuned up. Added new suspension so ride is a lot more smoother now.
Fuel line has no leaks, neither its my driving style.

Still i am finding hard to cross 10kmpl .

Now I am not using Ac since 6 months.(I don't need it)

If I remove the compressor belt(patta).. will there be any chance of getting better mileage??
Please help

But even 12kmpl is too low for 800 in city i guess!

Get a mileage test done in MASS as soon as possible! Maybe that will help you!

Thread Starter #4
Thank You all for replying promptly.
The MASS guys just told me that since the car is old(1994 carburated)even 8 kmpl is good, I have heard people getting 15kmpl+ milage in the city with the same model but the MASS guys are adamant to accept this.

I'll definately get back to them for the milage test.

You are totally absurd answer from MASS. You should easily get around 16 KM/L. That was the reason why M800 was (and is) a hit in India. 20 years back if 8 KMPL was the figure, then no one in India will buy it.

Please check the following:

1. Your driving habits. Don't use clutch unnecessary.
2. Spark plugs and spark timing. This can make a big impact on the mileage.
3. Tyre pressure.
4. Engine Oil.
5. How much is the ODO reading now? Is it the time for engine de-carbonizing ?
6. Also, how good is your engine's health ? Recently, when I visited MSIL service center, there was a poster about engine replacement. I reckon that they will replace the core of the engine. May be some thing to try at the worst case!

Thread Starter #7
Should I try any other MASS? I'll be glad if anyone can suggest a good service station for Maruti 800 in the Vasai-Virar Area.
-----------Next Post-----------
Engine Oil has just been changed.
ODO reading is 89500km.

Last edited:
Oh!! this is purely an stupid answer from your MASS!

89.5K is no way old for an petrol engine.

You should get atleast 14+ with AC on.

Check the spark plugs & your clutch plate assembly!

May be any mumbaikars can help you out with good service centre.

Raj,

Do you have any idea on any good / reputed MASS in Mumbai ?

1) Removing the AC belt wont make any difference.
The actual load of the AC falls on the engine only when you press the AC button,rest of the time its just a free mechanism running.

2) Remove the mileage thing from your head for 5 mins & take the car for a HARD SPIN. Throttle it hard & see how it performs -

a) If the engine is responsive but the car ain't moving fast then its the clutch.

b) If the engine isn't responsive or throwing black exhaust then its the piston rings.

c) If the car is performing OK SORTS then ask the Service Center guys to De-carbonize/Flush your engine.

But even 12kmpl is too low for 800 in city i guess!

Get a mileage test done in MASS as soon as possible! Maybe that will help you!
Hey whats a mileage test ? How is it done ? This is new to me !

Last edited:
1)

Hey whats a mileage test ? How is it done ? This is new to me !

Even i din know about this! Saw Peter explaining mileage test in his Alto ownership thread! Maybe he can get it done from another MASS!!

And coming to the problem , try out the things said my Shynish , Zinam and Neil and most obviously visit another MASS and never ever go back there again! If 800 was to give only that mileage then it would not have been a hit in India! The most stupid answer which i have ever heard!

And if you do not get your issue resolved soon , maybe you can even escalate to the higher officials.

Thread Starter #13
Excuse me for not updating the posts. The one week old battery of my M800 had apparently died and she refused to start.I had to jumpstart it by making use of the roadside assistance (asking my neighbours to push).
After getting it started I took it to a battery service centre.The problem was current leakage from the car music system.
Last week when getting the car serviced I had asked the MASS guys to install a new car mp3 player.They took the 12V power line directly from the battery instead of the ignition key(ACC). When left untouched for 2 nights the MP3 player(even in Off Condition) slowly drained the battery.
I'll have to look for another MASS where atleast such minor details are not brushed off.

Oh this is very bad from MASS!! You should have taken your car straight away to them and asked them to bring back the car to its original state and you should not be paying them for their mistake!!

Its high time you switch over to another MASS!! So is your car alright now??

Top Bottom