Decoding Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Hyundai VIn is bit different from others. I don't why they have Model Year and then production date.
I think the last 6 digits will give some idea about its Production Date.

I found this post - Manufacture Date - Hyundai-Forums.com
I am currently on my third Hyundai, so I have had three Hyundai VINs. The first one was Korean-built and it followed the system posted by Shedloads. The second was an i10 Classic, manufactured in June 2009, but the 10th character in the VIN was an "A", meaning it was built in 2010 (?). My present car, which is only a couple of weeks old, also has an "A" as the 10th character in the VIN - 2010, again. A while ago, a Toyota thread was also trying to decode the model year for, I think, a Prius. I just don't know and I'm ready to be enlightened.

By the way, if the 5th character (Body Style and Version) in the UK i10's VIN is an "N", the model is a "Comfort;" if it's an "M," it is a "Classic."

Another clue to the date of manufacture is the date on the tags located at the base of the seatbelts. My new i10 has 24th and 28th December, 2009, on the front two. Well, my car could not have left the factory before then, anyway!

i also found two more characters in vin posted in hyundai vin which is *L and the the guy who decoded it as 23-11-2009. after a lot of reading in that thread i found that last letter represents month. now i wanted found of that last two characters in my car. do you have any idea where can i found that in my car.

How to find out the Manufacturing Month and Year of a Car

This post is to create awareness to all who own a car and going to own a car. We often find dealers do sell old cars to unsuspecting customers without telling/passing the benefit of old cars. Lots of stories came up recently which compelled me to post here for the benefit of all.

Here is an easy method from which you can find out the Manufacturing Month and Year of a Car by decoding the car's VIN.

2010 Model Ford

Typical FORD Car VIN has 17 Characters starting from MAJ in which 11th and 12th characters represents YEAR and MONTH respectively.

If your 11th VIN Character is A then it represents Year 2010
if your 12th VIN Character is M then it represents Month JULY

Rest of the MONTH Codes are follows
L= JAN
Y= FEB
S= MAR
T= APR
J= MAY
U= JUNE
M= JULY
P= AUG
B= SEP
R= OCT
A= NOV
G= DEC

2010 Model TATA Car

Typical TATA Car VIN has 17 Characters starting from MAT in which 10th and 12th characters represents YEAR and MONTH respectively.

If your 10th VIN Character is A then it represents Year 2010
if your 12th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model CHEVROLET Car

Typical CHEVROLET Car VIN has 17 Characters starting with MA6 in which 9th and 10th characters represents MONTH and YEAR respectively.

f your 9th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY

EDIT: From February 2011 onwards there is a change in Chevrolet Vehicle VIN decoding.

if your 7th VIN Character is B then it represents Month February
If your 9th VIN Character is B then it represents Production Year 2011
If your 10th VIN Character is C then it represents Model Year 2012

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model HONDA Car

Typical HONDA Car VIN has 17 Characters starting with MAK in which 9th and 10th characters represents MONTH and YEAR respectively.

if your 9th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model MAHINDRA (M&M) Car

Typical MAHINDRA (M&M) Car VIN has 17 Characters starting with MAI in which 10th and 12th characters represents YEAR and MONTH respectively.

if your 10th VIN Character is A then it represents Year 2010
If your 12th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model MITSUBISHI Car

Typical MITSUBISHI Car VIN has 17 Characters starting with MA7 in which 10th and 11th characters represents YEAR and MONTH respectively.

if your 11th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model HYUNDAI Car Chassis Number

Typical HYUNDAI Car Chassis Number has 19 Characters starting with MAL in which 10th and 19th characters represents YEAR and MONTH respectively.

If your 10th Character is A then it represents Year 2010
if your 19th Character is G then it represents Month JULY

You can find the Chassis number on the Floor under the Drivers seat

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model FIAT Car

Typical FIAT Car VIN has 20 Characters starting with MCA in which 18th character represents MONTH and 19th &20th as YEAR

If your 18th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY
if your 19th and 20th VIN Character is NZ then it represents Year 2010

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Maruti-Suzuki Car

Maruti Car VIN has 17 Characters which doesn't carry the Month and Year Code.

For getting the Month and Year code of Maruti car you have to Look Under the Bonnet near to the hinges there will be additional Letter/Number . if you found that for e.g GA then its July 2010 Manufactured Vehicle.

other month are giving below
A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

2010 Model SKODA Car

Typical SKODA Car VIN has 17 Characters starting with TMB in which 6th and 10th characters represents MONTH and YEAR respectively.

if your 6th VIN Character is G then it represents Month JULY

A= JAN
B= FEB
C= MAR
D= APR
E= MAY
F= JUNE
G= JULY
H= AUG
J= SEP
K= OCT
L= NOV
M= DEC

Update: The VIN of Skoda India vehicles manufactured from 2021 onwards begins with “MEX”. Please check Post #1570 for decoding method.

Note:- Please spread the word to all your friends/relatives/other forums/blogs to create the awareness. I will update things often here.

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Hello wildon, Thanks for sharing the useful information. And welcome aboard to The Automotive India. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
A very warm welcome to The Automotive India, Himanshu. That's a Hyundai car but it doesn't seems to have a VIN of 19 Digits as told by wildon.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks, 350Z

Yes, i can not recall some two more digits after * written at the bottom of drivers seat. But i noted the 17 digits which i mentioned in the post.

I think wildon is able to decode even without those 18th and 19th ones and i have seen his post giving the details even to the accuracy of date of manufacture on other websites.

Hoping for a quick reply from him. As i am about to get the delivery in two days of time.

Top Bottom