[Part 2] Safety/ Features/ Electronics/Ride
- lol electronics what electronics well the civic is very basic in this department - there are very few things that could go wrong. It has 2 airbags, abs
,brake assist so the absolute basics exist and they work perfectly and reliably. Driver side windows are one touch - i miss this sorely in the XUV. The stock ICE sounds nice and i dont ever feel the need for an upgrade. With no Aux i have 6 recordable cds which i keep updating lol. All the buttons are very easy to use and very high quality - nothing i mean nothing in this car feels flimsy.
Ride quality with 2 passengers on board is decent and nothing spectacular about it , i have noticed if i keep the tyre pressure at 32/34psi (recommended is 30) the ride seems better - offcourse with 5 passengers be careful of a rather large pothole. Otherwise in the highways its one of the best handling sedans in its segment - i do mumbai pune regularly and have driven at speeds i wouldnt think of doing around those curves in any other car - with this it feels so easy and never have i put a tire out of my lane be it whatever speed. the max i have done on a solo ride was about 165 and i ran out of road but not grunt. Mind u i did this for less than 30 secs and its not all safe to be doing anything over 120 on indian expressway roads - the quality of tarmac is pathetic and its simply not safe - so please dont attempt - i did this only because i saw an endless section of road with no traffic and i had no passengers - also had recently signed up on a big insurance policy so felt confident about it lol. But my best experience driving a civic is not the expressway but the old mumbai highway - boy thats so smooth and curvy u enjoy the drive more than the expressway. For the guys who dont know the expressway is concrete stuff while the old highway is the usual tarmac well maintained and smooooth(for the better part of the year). Normally i would be complaining thats its low on features for the price, but the real VFM
factor in this car is not the gizmos but the driveability and handling - so i have no complaints. Now some notes from my personal experience :-
1) This honda is really very low on maintenance - i have had no mechanical problems whatsoever in my 30k of driving in just around 13 months and mind u i have put it through some really bad roads which its not meant for including the offroad part which i showed in my xuv thread. Its very light on ur pockets and u only pay for the usual consumables and labour. the only thing i had to replace was a fan motor of the ac and the real reason was this was more the fact that the car always runs with the ac on and i didnt have tints(got it done 2 months back) - so in summers and after 6 years of driving the fan motor conked off. Replaced it and the AC works great now cost me 4k. Apart from that i have only replaced the brakepads- i dont know when the previous owner replaced it but it lasted 30k for me(probably more since the previous owner was using it). so all in all not bad at all.
2) The boot of the civic is really small - i mean for a sedan of this segment u wud expect a humungous boot - but its nowwhere close to that.
3) I already talked abt low end grunt under 1600rpm - but really this car is a mecca for auto modders. i think its one the most customisable cars in the world - infinte amnt of mod options which i often get tempted about - but never did it yet as this car was meant to be a stop gap for the fortuner to come. But really will i have the heart to sell this ? i doubt. Its really an enthusiasts car and the more i think the more i feel i dont want to sell it.lol now stop reminding me about mods as i have done enough study there and have been resisting for this very simple reason that i dont know whether i am gonna keep this. someone did 600bhp on a civic lol should i think of 180 bhp lol even that wud be dream. But really the only thing that can be easily improved in this car is the low end grunt and that is low because honda took a call to make the vtec work for fuel efficiency. The only bigger reason to sell is its petrol and my running is high indeed.
4) Kitna Deti hai ? - Well i am more of a sedate driver so i get around 11-12 in city and around 14-15 in highways, good enough i think. Best was a 16.5 once on shell. I am happy with the mileage for the segment the car belongs
5) in this car u would never have the fear of being stranded anywhere with a breakdown - its bullet proof. I have known civics which have done over 3 lakh kms with nothing but just normal maintenance schedules.
6) So good is the quality of the wing mirror too - that many times crazy swerving drivers have hit it in pune and most times they end up with a fully broken unit and all i needed to do was just adjust it again. Just last week a indica taxi was driving crazily on the opp side of the road and brushed my wing - nothing happened to the civic but his entire assembly got broken + driver had a hard time finding the keys as i stepped out and threw it off in rage picking it up from his car as he dared to stop too lol. Someone once told me the 2006 original launch civic had the best quality amongst civics - not sure if that is indeed true.
7) I intend to get some polishing done to cover up some minor bruises - sighh only i know the effort i go to avoid it in pune traffic but its inevitable - i am sure the puneites will sympathise with me here. Need the brand new shine back - intend to do this in the coming weeks once i have some time on the weekend. Things i dislike
1) Low Boot Space
2) Response under 1600rpm( but tht can be easily sorted with mods)
3) Low GC due to suspension setup and wheelbase - again this can be sorted by altering the suspension or by a simple rubber bush available in bangalore!
Pheww a long write up but i hope i did justice and please feel to ask any questions just in case i missed out any parameters. Ill end for now but will just leave the readers with one thought - if u r in the sedan market with a budget of 6-8 lakhs - have u considered a used civic instead ? Its such a VFM
thing and u wont regret the decision , the car never stops to bring a smile - happens everytime and then again!!