New Suzuki Swift or Hyundai i20

Thread Starter #1
Folks, I'm in a dilemma as to which one to go for. I haven't test driven either since there is a apparently a shortage of test drive vehicles in all the dealerships I visit [;)]. Waiting for one though.

So this car happens to be for my sister, she is not a technology freak, but then I would like her to have a car that's good, modern, and refined.

Requirements:
1. Running of 1200 Km a month, rarely a highway short 200Km trip. Mostly city driven only.

2. Budget not more than Rs. 550K, (can extend to Rs. 600k)

3. Fuel efficient and refined

4. Reliability and affordable to maintain, don't want to visit the workshops
every now and then for getting things right on a new vehicle.

5. ABS (Options without ABS requested from fellows too)

6. Mostly self driven, seldom 3 would seat at a time but not more than 4 on any given day.

7. Ease of parking considering tight Delhi parking spaces

My options have been New Swift and Hyundai i20. She apparently would look no further than these two brands, although reccomendations from you all are welcome.

Anything left unsaid and you'd like to ask, let me know.

Honda jazz is better option if you are considering petrol car ,it have less waiting period,good ergonomics and Honda reliabiltiy as compliment.

Jazz comes with 15 inch wheels ,good for indian road conditions.

where as i20 is equiped with 14 inch wheels only including infamous Air condition issues and steering rattles.

Both are good cars, and so is Jazz, now with the price slash announcement.

Generally, Swift is called a driver's car, meaning enthusiasts might prefer it. Also, the spares and maintenance costs the lowest of the lot.

And i20 is called the comfort car, since the noise cancellation and suspension is the best in class. The cost of ownership is also low, but might be slightly higher than a suzuki.

I dont know much about Jazz, except that its a world car and is called Fit in some markets. I think the cost of ownership might be highest of the lot for this car, but i might be speculating.

Last edited:
Go for Jazz. Honda has finally turned it into a VFM hatchback. And when it comes to buying a petrol version, i would suggest you to stay away from i20 which feels lethargic on highways.

I suggest you (or preferably your sister) also check out the other cars in this bracket like the Polo, Fabia, Punto, Vista, Figo and Ritz. Make sure she drives the car as she has to be comfortable. When I was looking for a hatch, I zeroes in on the Punto. However my wife didn't like the seating position. We then settled for the i10. You can evaluate the other features of the car and shortlist a few cars but leave the comfort and handling evaluation to your sister.

Thread Starter #7
Honda Jazz won't be serious contender. Reasons being the base Jazz costs around Rs. 620K OTR in Delhi, Hondas have relatively higher priced spares in comparison to Maruti and Hyundai, hence don't think it would be cheap to maintain. So it's basically between the Swift and the i20. Got the i20 OTR in Delhi from Rishab Hyundai, Okhla, Magna costs Rs. 548K and Sportz costs Rs. 594K, plus a discount of Rs. 15K as loyalty, Rs. 2500 cash discount and free 3rd year warranty. need to check the swift's prices and first and foremost, I need to get a TD of both the machines.

Honda's spares are costly alright but if the car is maintained well you wont be doing anything on the car other than regular servicing which is cheap. I would suggest you look at Jazz again , also this is one hatch which has all safety features in the base model too.

i20 is a good city car , AC is not good enough though. Swift is also good.

But i would suggest you look at Jazz again , a great petrol hatch now!

Thread Starter #9
Like I said before, Jazz is not a contender. Its between i20 Magna and Swift VX now. I td'ed both, found both to be at par. But it is i20 that has taken my liking. Has more space than Swift, ACC, factory fitted ICE, and a feel of premiumness in it. Swift on the other is fun to drive too, both have a very slick and precise gear shift. While Swift VX comes sans ICE, ACC, less on space both in the cabin and boot. Extra feature in Swift I noticed is electrically adjustable ORVM and a bottle/can holder on the LHS AC vent. I although like i20 more and suggesting my sister to get that one, but she is inclining more towards Swift, she feels premiumness in Swift [surprise]. No offences to anyone guys. She might td Swift today though.

Oh btw, Swift VX is costing Rs. 522,480/= (mud flaps and mats as freebies), dealer AAA in Savitri Nagar, near Sheikh Sarai- 1, and i20 Magna Rs. 522,481/= (mud flaps, mats, and Xenos kind gear lock as freebies) at Koncept Hyundai, Green Park.

Will keep you updated when we buy one.

Running of 1200 Km a month, rarely a highway short 200Km trip. Mostly city driven only.
Diesel makes sense.

2. Budget not more than Rs. 550K, (can extend to Rs. 600k)
Check out Vista VX also (Comes 5.80 On Road Pune should be less in Delhi)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ica-vista-test-drive.html?highlight=new+vista
Vista satisfies all your requirements
1. Budget - 580K
2. Fuel efficient and refined - 23 kmpl
3. Reliability and affordable to maintain -Yes
4. ABS - Yes

Other diesel are high on budget. Even swift ZDi is 7.25L (6 months waiting)

If petrol then Jazz http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ed-micra-got-jazzed.html?highlight=micra+jazz

Also check these threads

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...zz-new-suzuki-swift.html?highlight=micra+jazz

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-versus-rest-competition.html?highlight=swift

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...sta-v-s-new-maruti-swift.html?highlight=swift

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-new-maruti-swift-petrol.html?highlight=swift

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...n-figo-swift-polo-diesel.html?highlight=swift

Like I said before, Jazz is not a contender. Its between i20 Magna and Swift VX now. I td'ed both, found both to be at par. But it is i20 that has taken my liking. Has more space than Swift, ACC, factory fitted ICE, and a feel of premiumness in it. Swift on the other is fun to drive too, both have a very slick and precise gear shift. While Swift VX comes sans ICE, ACC, less on space both in the cabin and boot. Extra feature in Swift I noticed is electrically adjustable ORVM and a bottle/can holder on the LHS AC vent. I although like i20 more and suggesting my sister to get that one, but she is inclining more towards Swift, she feels premiumness in Swift [surprise]. No offences to anyone guys. She might td Swift today though.

Oh btw, Swift VX is costing Rs. 522,480/= (mud flaps and mats as freebies), dealer AAA in Savitri Nagar, near Sheikh Sarai- 1, and i20 Magna Rs. 522,481/= (mud flaps, mats, and Xenos kind gear lock as freebies) at Koncept Hyundai, Green Park.

Will keep you updated when we buy one.

Okay so let's leave out Jazz! I agree with all your above points but i20 suffers from poor AC and steering rattle in some cars(my friend has Asta variant and he is not facing this issue now). My friend's car going to complete a year in a week's time clocked around 11k KMS till now , no issues faced so far! If you are closing in on i20 instead of gear lock get something else.

Thread Starter #13
Thanks for the link Surfer. My sister is confused now. Apparently she has not been hearing good reviews about i20. And she has now included Liva in the battle of the machines. Regretting being a well informed brother [;)]

Liva though is a good car which has good driveability but doesn't look or feel premium and the Interiors are not upto the mark.

Swift is the safest bet , you can't go wrong with it!

Top Bottom