Tyres For Hyundai i10, Santro & Verna (Got Yokohama Earth-1)

Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Hi guys.

My i10 needs a new set of tyres. Car has completed around 78k kms and currently i am using appolo acceleres which lasted around 35k kms.
35k is good considering the roads it goes on. My santro uses the same set of tyres and they have covered 47k kms with more 5-8k kms of life left since santro travels on good roads.

I read the upsize guide provided by MR.BOSS. Still want to discuss if i can have better comfort tyres since i will be changing the tyres this weekend.

Requirements and usage.
* should not be costly. Accelers costed around 2700rs per tyre so max i can go is 3200rs per tyre.
* better comfort. Not much improvement in grip and handling required.
* daily commute of 30kms. 40% good roads , 60% bad roads.
* current size - 155/80/R13
* car hardly goes above 60 kmph. Sedate driving.
* 100% city usage.
* many people uses michelin xm2 and have also heard about yoko earth 1 tyres. But don't have any idea if they are good for me.

So please suggest me tyres according to my usage. Thanks.

Edit : one more thing i forgot to add. Both the cars uses tube in at least one of the tyres. Reason - many punctures at once. I don't know how but recently a petrol pump guy while filling the air told my dad that even though tread is good the tyres are not in good shape. So dad is asking me to change the santro's tyre as well. Will get the tyres checked from the dealer and will update.

Last edited:
Re: Tyre Upsize for Hyundai i10 !

AHC@

I am also using Appolo accelere 155/80-13 in my esteem (bought 5 nos in 2011).Which also lasted around 35K Kms. 6 months before i had bought 1 more accelere in same size @ RS.2950 and used in front wheels with the not used stepney tire(accelere) which bought on 2011.
4 Months before i had to replace the rear set tires and i was planing to get the broader tires for longtime, but in affordable rates. i had bought 2 nos Appolo amazer 4g 175/70-13 tubeless tires at Rs.3350 for each tire. Completed 4k kms on this tire including one Kochi- BLR,Kochi- velanKanni and 2 munnar trips. these tires are very comfortable and had no other issues except slight tire noice and slight milage decrease.

i had waited for Accelere 175/70-13, but that was not available at that time. Apart from these, all other same size branded tire rates are above Rs.3600. even 155/80-13 size michelin & BS also cost around Rs.4K here.

Michelin and Yokohama are much better tires in terms of comfort, road grip and also tire life. The higher initial cost you pay is well justified and it would be offset by the extra tire life you get from these tires. You can include Bridgestone alone in the mix. Heard Continental is also good - but no first hand experience.

IMO you can avoid Appollo, MRF, JK and even Good year.

Thread Starter #5

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Thanks guys for your reply. So i think the best upgrade will be 175/70/R13. Will surely go for this size if the difference between this and 155/80/R13 is not much.

Just now told my dad about upsizing , he just said mileage will decrease. I told him there will not be much difference plus the grip and braking will improve.

@ releesh - Can you please tell me how much the mileage will decrease ?

@tai dhana - my dad said the cae is old , no point in spending extra. This is his line for every thing i say [lol] he says buy the stock size. Michelin will be too expensive i think. Just checked the prices online.

@ zephyr - will surely settle for this if price difference is not much.

Last edited:

AHC@

There is at least 1Km/ltr difference is thr. My car running on 2numbers of 155 accelere in front wheels and 175 Amazer 4G in rear. Ride comfort is way better for the broader tire.

Accelere/Amazer 4G are way better than MRF,Amazer Xl, JK tires.I selected these because of their VFM tag and better performance. Also my car not running more than 10K km in a year. So it is enough for 4 years.

AFAIK, i10 rims comes in 4J size and for the 175 tires atleast 4.5J rim size required, though it can be fixed.

Thread Starter #7

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I totally forgot about the rim width. After you mentioned I read on carwale that many have upgraded to 175/70 but it's not recommended just like you said.

The shop is owned by a relative from where i purchase the tyres. In the end will ask him about this. Now i'm thinking to go with stock size only.

I think you'll be alright to use them in the existing rims. Your requirements demands the upsize, stick to Acceleres they are VFM tires.
There won't be a huge drop in the mileage, I'm using 185/60 R14 myself.

First of all I don't have experiences with appollo So cant really make a comparison it with the xm2.

My stock tire is 155/80/R13 JK Vectra. Upgraded to 175/70/R13 XM2.
So here are the things I would like to say about the same

*XM2 are really cushions, which helps in a very comfortable ride on bad roads.
*Don't want much cushioning effect? Just fill it up with 3-5 psi more than the recommended value.
*I have got 23.5kmpl in against to the ARAI claimed 19.6kmpl on a 2 lane highways where the traffic conditions are in between less to moderate. I use 2-4psi and 2psi more for the front and rear tires respectively. So I can say very confidently that I didn't see any drop in mileage.
*My stock JK lasted for about 26k kms. Now my 175/70/R13 XM2 completed 28k kms and still looks almost like a new set of tires. I believe, atleast 75% of thread is still remaining.(Really surprising to me[surprise])
*Very very quite. Road noise has reduced to a great extent.

Spot on Kichu. That is the point, I was trying to make also - the car itself feels very different and durability is also much longer. It is like switching from sandals to nice pair of sports shoes. And actually, we aren't paying more - it is like buying 2 set of cheaper tires (by spending around 20% extra).

Spot on Kichu. That is the point, I was trying to make also - the car itself feels very different and durability is also much longer. It is like switching from sandals to nice pair of sports shoes. And actually, we aren't paying more - it is like buying 2 set of cheaper tires (by spending around 20% extra).
[clap]

I got my xm2 in Jan 2013, so prior to the purchase when I was looking for the reviews majority of the feedback was "XM2 is a soft rubber so it will wear off much much faster".
Now I realize those were just some assumptions from those people who didn't even experience it.[:D]

Thread Starter #12

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

went to the shop but in santro. he said santro also need 2 tyre replacement , 2 can last for 5-6k kms more but will change all the 4 tyres.

got the rates as well.

For Santro : 155/20/R13

1. Apollo Amazer 4G - 2600/-
2. Yokohama A-Drive - 3000/-
3. Yokohama Earth 1 - 3150/-
4. Michelin XM2 - 3500/-
5. Bridgestone (don't remember the product ) - 3100/-

For i10 : 155/80/R13
1. Yokohama Earth 1 - 3300/-
2. Apollo Amazer 4G - 2800/-
3. Bridgestone - 3350/-

@ zephyr - will stick to the stock size. even the owner was suggesting the same.

@kichu - Thanks for your detailed reply. it is costly if i compare with amazer. will surely take this tyre into consideration for the verna.

i'm thinking to go for amazer for the i10 and Earth 1 for the santro.

how's the yoko A-drive if anyone knows ?

Thread Starter #13

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

So got the tyres replaced in my santro. I gave i10 for service so took the santro first for tyre replacement.

My relative's shop was closed. Like i mentioned above he quoted 3150 for earth 1 but i got from another shop for just 3000rs per piece. :/ anyways here are some pics.

Cost.
4 yokohama earth 1 155/70/R13 - 12000 rs
Alignment balancing - free
Weights - 340rs
2 tyre nozzles - 200rs (is it really 100rs per piece :/)
Old tyres - 300 rs

So paid 12200 rupees.

Drove the car around 40kms today and i must say the grip has been improved a lot. Even the steering feedback improved.

Done at 130600kms. Let's see how much they'll last. Will update it here.

And he quoted 3100rs per tyre for the i10. 155/80/R13

Attachments

Last edited:

Congrats.[clap] Good looking thread pattern [:)]

My relative's shop was closed. Like i mentioned above he quoted 3150 for earth 1 but i got from another shop for just 3000rs per piece. :/
Sometimes he might have planned to give you a surprise Discount while purchasing the tyres. [lol]

Top Bottom